gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680935 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 09:19:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 572277 times)
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: September 24, 2012, 10:42:05 AM »

Are there any plans for these to be issued on vinyl? Sorry if that's been answered before.

CDs are barely a step above mp3 for me.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: September 24, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »

Is With me Tonight even the same take - it sounds SOOO different!

I know, right?

That and Wind Chimes are the best.

What do we think of Good Vibrations? I think it's not awful.... Not an aweinspiring revelation either, maybe I need the headphones in.

It's not bad, the chorus' jump out over the verses, but the links sound even more edited.

here's the Darlin' Stereo mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeXHu5-Y_cY&feature=youtu.be

And Rhonda is the worst thing I've heard for a phasey backing track... EVER
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:06:38 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: September 24, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »

I know, right?

What do we think of Good Vibrations? I think it's not awful.... Not an aweinspiring revelation either, maybe I need the headphones in.

It's not aweful, but the mono version beats the stereo version on every level!

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: September 24, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »

You guys.... Fall Breaks and Back To Winter! HOLY MRS O'LEARY'S COW.

Haha! It's a revelation hearing this album in stereo, and listening through good headphones too. The production was minimal and spacious to begin with but now there's an even greater sense of depth, sounds telescoping out into 3 dimensions like a pop up book - The saw from Little Pad, the bongos from She's Goin Bald, all these glorious bits clearer and more defined than ever!

I'm not a fan of the Pet Sounds stereo mix. The separartion of the instruments is great, but some of the vocals, especially Brian's, are left a little naked. Smiley on the other hand has really taken on a new appeal in stereo. The vocals are glorious.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:32:01 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: September 24, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »

the gap after the clicks on little pad is different - and it annoys me Sad

sh*tola - you're right! Curse you for pointing it out, Mr Moustachio!   Cry

The way the hawaiian theme came in slightly off beat after the clicks was one of the coolest things about the track, but now the timing is 'correct', and less funky as a result. Strange that this should be ironed out because it was surely supposed to be that way in the original edit.

it's ironic for me to moan about this though because I winged about the exact same thing in reverse when I first heard the Smile Sessions mix of H&V. The La-la-la section comes in a millisecond too early compared to the original single and it drove me nuts for months.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:44:22 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: September 24, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »

This sucks. Spotify isn't available for linux.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: September 24, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »

I know, right?

It's not bad, the chorus' jump out over the verses, but the links sound even more edited.

here's the Darlin' Stereo mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeXHu5-Y_cY&feature=youtu.be

This mix is amazing

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: September 24, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »

This makes no sense.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »

On Spotify Summer days (and summer days)!!! has an instrumental version + male voice-overs of Amusement Parks USA in stereo. Is this also on the CD-version???
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: September 24, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »

This makes no sense.

I'm a record collector. It's nothing to do with the audio, I just can't get attached to CDs

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: September 24, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »

I'm a record collector. It's nothing to do with the audio, I just can't get attached to CDs

Ah, sorry, fair enough.

On Spotify Summer days (and summer days)!!! has an instrumental version + male voice-overs of Amusement Parks USA in stereo. Is this also on the CD-version???

I don't think so. Someone should grab this while we still have the chance?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:15:59 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: September 24, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »

Ah, sorry, fair enough.

I'm sick of buying cds as I just don't play them once I've ripped them to my Itunes. They just get added to the huge pile of cds gathering dust in the corner of my work space. A year or so ago I would've bought these remasters without a second thought. Now I'm able to listen to them on Spotify, there's really no need to buy them beyond wanting to read the liner notes and supporting the band. Well, I feel I've bought enough BB product that the latter is not a real motivation for me I'm afraid. I do subscribe to Spotify so I am not stealing the music and don't endorse that.

However if they released these on vinyl then I would definitely purchase some of these. The Surf's Up and Sunflower remasters apparently don't supercede the original pressings and that may well be true for some of the others, but it strikes me there's potential for the new stereo Smiley Smile to be an improvement over the original vinyl. I guess it's by the by as there's no talk of putting these out on vinyl anyway, more's the pity, but who can say what the plans are in the near future.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: September 24, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »

Ah, sorry, fair enough.

I'm sick of buying cds as I just don't play them once I've ripped them to my Itunes. They just get added to the huge pile of cds gathering dust in the corner of my work space. A year or so ago I would've bought these remasters without a second thought. Now I'm able to listen to them on Spotify, there's really no need to buy them beyond wanting to read the liner notes and supporting the band. Well, I feel I've bought enough BB product that the latter is not a real motivation for me I'm afraid. I do subscribe to Spotify so I am not stealing the music and don't endorse that.

However if they released these on vinyl then I would definitely purchase some of these. The Surf's Up and Sunflower remasters apparently don't supercede the original pressings and that may well be true for some of the others, but it strikes me there's potential for the new stereo Smiley Smile to be an improvement over the original vinyl. I guess it's by the by as there's no talk of putting these out on vinyl anyway, more's the pity, but who can say what the plans are in the near future.

I don't understand the "I hate clutter, but I'd buy them on vinyl and create more clutter" thing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:15:15 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: September 24, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »

This makes no sense.

Have you tried double sided tape?  Grin
Ok, sorry, couldn't resist. Bad humour. ;p

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: September 24, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »

Way too much reverb on the stereo "Darlin'" vocal and a bit too much elsewhere, but otherwise it's nice.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: September 24, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »

Ah, sorry, fair enough.

I don't understand the "I hate clutter, but I'd buy them on vinyl and create more clutter" thing, nor the "I can listen on Spotify, there's no need to buy the albums, but I'd buy them if they were on vinyl" thing.

Because the vinyl is being used, whereas the cds are not. I can tolerate the clutter if it's serving a purpose!

Plus I enjoy the process of putting a record on, flipping the sides etc. I don't get the same thing from cds. Now that mp3s, the players and interfaces are so sophistictaed, mp3s have superceded cds for me, but I do miss the physical act of reaching for an album and actually playing it. So vinyl fills that gap.

Plus records sound better (dependant on the pressing and source obviously) but that's a whole other debate!

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: September 24, 2012, 01:23:28 PM »

Ah, sorry, fair enough.

I understand your sentiment, but there is something to be said about quality on CD vs IMO crappy 256kbps streams on Spotify. Even 320kpbs AAC's vs lossless/CD would arguably be something to be discussed.
But I see what you mean. I keep buying CDs, but I much prefer buying vinyl. It's just too bad that LPs are usually much more expensive.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:35:51 PM by tansen » Logged

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: September 24, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »

-

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: September 24, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »

And even if they aren't an improvement (the purist in me says they can never be!), they would almost certainly be a worthy alternative. I'd file a nice 180g Stereo smiley next to my US mono in a heartbeat.

And vinyl isn't clutter! CDs are weird...loads of variations in cases so they don't stack nicely together, all those horrible jewel cases that crack, inexplicable sticking and deterioration. A shelf full of lps is a beautiful sight.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: September 24, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:47:58 PM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: September 24, 2012, 01:42:25 PM »

And vinyl isn't clutter! CDs are weird...loads of variations in cases so they don't stack nicely together, all those horrible jewel cases that crack, inexplicable sticking and deterioration. A shelf full of lps is a beautiful sight.

Diff'rent strokes, I guess. I never said vinyl was clutter, but I don't consider CDs clutter at all, either. I enjoy the variation and have never had an issue organizing them or any kind of sticking/deterioration.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2021 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »

It's telling me that these aren't available in America. runners, you're American, right? HOW AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT CAN'T HEAR THESE?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: September 24, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »

It's telling me that these aren't available in America. runners, you're American, right? HOW AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT CAN'T HEAR THESE?

I can't hear them, either. It's a Mike Love-esque damn shame.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2023 on: September 24, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »

Then how do you explain this?

Way too much reverb on the stereo "Darlin'" vocal and a bit too much elsewhere, but otherwise it's nice.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 24, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »

someone uploaded Darlin to YT.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx