gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680943 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 01:27:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 443074 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: July 18, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »

RONDEMON, tell us more about both "California Feelin'" versions! I know you don't wanna say anymore, but is the vocal for Brian on the '78 version the same as the first verse on the demo?

He already said they sounded different.

Did he? I looked through his posts and he said that the demo version has a "weird delivery and a gruff voice", but this doesn't seem to match the opinion of those like Alan Boyd who said that Brian hits some notes on it that Nilsson would be proud of. Although it's possible he could be kinda gruff on some of the rest of the song.

There's a 1974 demo of Brian singing it (with weird vocal delivery and a gruff voice) but there's another with a younger sounding Brian singing the first verse then Carl coming in, then Bruce. It sounds amazing. Would've fit great on MIU!
That's confusing. Weren't we always told(or always thought) that the 1974 demo of California Feeling was the last known recording of Brian with his "young voice" fully intact? Adamghost once posted about a recording he heard that was almost an even 50/50 split between his younger voice, and the 15 Big Ones era voice, but he declined to post the name of the song.

Actually he did reveal the name of the song. It was a studio piano version of "In The Back Of My Mind" from 1975.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:47:35 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 18, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »

any hidden tracks at the end of the discs?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 18, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »

RONDEMON, tell us more about both "California Feelin'" versions! I know you don't wanna say anymore, but is the vocal for Brian on the '78 version the same as the first verse on the demo?

I've had the '78 California Feelin for a few years now (albeit in really shitty quality), Brian sounds husky when he sings the opening verse but hits some fairly high notes later on (esp at the end of the song). Bruce is very audible on the "Califonia Feelin, California Feelin'" refrain, and Carl sings very strongly on his verses. It's better than anything from MIU and most of LA so naturally they didn't include it on either record!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #2028 on: July 18, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »

I've had the '78 California Feelin for a few years now (albeit in really shitty quality), Brian sounds husky when he sings the opening verse but hits some fairly high notes later on (esp at the end of the song). Bruce is very audible on the "Califonia Feelin, California Feelin'" refrain, and Carl sings very strongly on his verses. It's better than anything from MIU and most of LA so naturally they didn't include it on either record!

How does it compare to the Rocky Pamplin version or the Carl/Bruce version?

Didn`t they not release it because they were bowing to Brian`s wishes?
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 18, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »

So this is more "complete" sounding than the commonly bootlegged version?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 18, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »

I havn't heard either of those versions unless I'm confusing my copy with the Carl/Bruce version you speak of. The sound quality is very poor but I'm certain that it's got Brian singing on it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #2031 on: July 18, 2013, 11:07:48 AM »

I havn't heard either of those versions unless I'm confusing my copy with the Carl/Bruce version you speak of. The sound quality is very poor but I'm certain that it's got Brian singing on it.

This is the typical one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5ocMQQ3d8
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »

Yeah, I think you are confusing yours with the Carl/Bruce one. There's no Brian lead vocal on that one, although he is very audible in the top of the harmony stack on the chorus. I'm pretty sure whatever "California Feelin'" on disc 4 is, it's not something that has been heard before publicly.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 18, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »

This is the typical one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5ocMQQ3d8

No I have not heard this version before. It would have fit nicely at the end of LA Light.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: July 18, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »

Wow mind is blown by details Rondemon is sharing. Was kind of resigned to thought that I might be underwhelmed by this set but a new Smiley outtake!? New sunflower outtake? And this Why sounds cool too. Very excited to hear these things, not to mention WIBNTLA. Thanks for sharing, Rondemon.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 18, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »

I'm guessing that the the "2012 Mixes" are probably from the Smile Sessions box and the 50 Big Ones set.

… 'Cept TsS was 2011 Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 19, 2013, 12:18:29 AM »

Amazon uk price just took a tumble to Ł66.11. Lock 'em in!

Paulos
« Reply #2037 on: July 19, 2013, 12:23:23 AM »

Thank you Mr Manning, locked in and pre-ordered!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 19, 2013, 12:33:18 AM »

Thanks for the tip. My pre-order's still showing as Ł96. That had better change soon or Words Will Be Had...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: July 19, 2013, 12:59:43 AM »

Don't forget to cancel those Sainsburys orders!

jonsuissy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: July 19, 2013, 01:33:09 AM »

Thanks very much John for Amazon tip - but I can't seem to cancel that Sainsburys order online - anybody else got this problem.
Jon
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: July 19, 2013, 01:37:47 AM »

I just cancelled mine jonsuissy.  Logged on to the Sainsburys entertainment site first, clicked on the account link at the top right of the page, then went to view the unfulfilled order, on which there is a very simple (but small) cancel button.

Hope that helps.

Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: July 19, 2013, 02:12:06 AM »

For any Aussies that works out at 58 pounds including postage ( no tax).
Id be surprised if you can get it cheaper.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:21 AM »

Unless you'd rather shop with a company that pays its taxes like the rest of us.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: July 19, 2013, 03:07:40 AM »

Is California Saga the single mix?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: July 19, 2013, 03:08:17 AM »

Unless you'd rather shop with a company that pays its taxes like the rest of us.

Ah…

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: July 19, 2013, 04:06:13 AM »

Why did the band suddenly pretend that SIP exists by allowing a live version of Summer In Paradise on MiC?

We discuss here if they avoid releasing some songs to save them from embarrassment, yet at the same time they figured the time had now come for SIP to shine.
"People didn't understand it at first, but now in 2013 people are finally ready right?"

TWGMTR finally removed SIP as the last Beach Boys album and I really hoped it was forgotten and buried forever, then from nowhere this piece of crap shows up on the most anticipated disc? Is MYke saying 'f*** you' to all of us?

I remember when we had fun, fun fun. rocking to help me rhonda and barbara ann....

I dare you to defend this song SIP apologists!
jonsuissy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: July 19, 2013, 04:14:56 AM »

I just cancelled mine jonsuissy.  Logged on to the Sainsburys entertainment site first, clicked on the account link at the top right of the page, then went to view the unfulfilled order, on which there is a very simple (but small) cancel button.

Hope that helps.

Thanks John, that did help (I had to click a small "view" icon which brought up the cancel option)
I was dreading telling Mrs jonsuissy we had two new Beach Boys Box Sets

Jon
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: July 19, 2013, 04:16:46 AM »

Why did the band suddenly pretend that SIP exists by allowing a live version of Summer In Paradise on MiC?

The live version is much, *much* better than the studio one, and it gives Bruce a little bit of a vocal spotlight he otherwise wouldn't have.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: July 19, 2013, 04:17:02 AM »

Ah…

… though I promise I've paid income tax on the money I'l be using to buy the box.  And I'll be paying the VAT.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx