gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680953 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 09:46:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 107047 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 28, 2015, 09:27:35 AM »

In all seriousness , it's really a shame that people get so worked up about this because in the not so distant future you're going to hear one of these guys speak at the others funeral and they're going to say how much they loved the person and how talented the person was. I understand that people on this message board like to bitch and make their case for Brian or Mike but it's like a Demorcrat  trying to convince a tea partyier that Obama is not a Muslim. It's a great year to be a fan, (Paul Dano may even get nominated for the film) with all the  things we know for sure are happening. I'm 60, I've been a fan since 1969 and I remember all the dark and lean years of being a BB fan and this ain't one of 'em. All this other stuff is petty, immature bullshit.
I agree, and well said! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 28, 2015, 09:28:16 AM »

Well, when he was a wee lad, the Dead Sea was merely sick

LOL
 My wife used that one on me :D

Bobby Heenan wants his joke back. 😉

Good to see another fellow "humanoid" on here :D

"I had it tough too McMahon. One day my Mom fired our chauffer and we had to rent a limo for a week!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: February 28, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »

Whether or not we hate myKe luHv is really our business isn't it??

Not when it continually and increasingly pollutes an otherwise perfectly fine forum. Bit like ordering a lasagne and and discovering a large turd lurking therein.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: February 28, 2015, 09:39:49 AM »

There is no reason to lock this thread if this is an open forum. All I'd suggest is to not follow a pattern that has played out quite a few times in the past year or two, and stick to what the original post was about. Getting into taking shots at other members, no matter the reason and no matter who is involved, isn't what other members coming to the thread to catch up want to read. If it happens, perhaps either move it off the board or move on period.

There was an original article linked to in the first post which I think fans here should have a chance to react to and discuss. I would have done that more myself but my PC went haywire last night among my usual schedule. So I come back today to catch up and see calls to lock it? I'm not in favor of that, and usually in 9 out of 10 cases am not in favor of locking threads because people distract and divert and go off-topic into pointing fingers at other members rather than discussing the topic itself.

This one will stay open so everyone who wishes can have a say. If it starts getting into way-out diversions and personal swipes, everyone will see how, why, and who is doing it. And I hope the topic remains the topic despite attempts to twist and shift it miles away from what was actually the issue. Because it is something that fans feel strongly enough to have opinions about, and who may want to discuss further.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 28, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »

Woah, if you change one letter in Mike Love, you actually get Make Love.

WOOOOOOAAAAH

I can't believe I'm the first person to put the pieces together.

How do I submit my name for MVP 2015?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: February 28, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »

Well, when he was a wee lad, the Dead Sea was merely sick

LOL
 My wife used that one on me :D

Bobby Heenan wants his joke back. 😉

I knew it sounded familiar. Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 28, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »

Woah, if you change one letter in Mike Love, you actually get Make Love.

WOOOOOOAAAAH

I can't believe I'm the first person to put the pieces together.

How do I submit my name for MVP 2015?
you have discovered the love pun of 2015!!! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: February 28, 2015, 09:55:10 AM »

Hey, who doesn't like bacon?

I can think of roughly 13 million people off the top of my head.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: February 28, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »

A shortened version of what I wanted to say before the computer problems struck yesterday...

It could/should/would be all about the music, no doubt. I can't count the number of times I and others here have said that, it's amazing how actually giving some of these songs we all know a spin can erase a lot of bad feelings...here and in real life.

One point I had to get off my chest from the original article. Brian's new song clocks in at three minutes or so, and has been out long enough that it can easily be found on YouTube and elsewhere. I find it both disappointing and bordering on absurd that Mike claims to have not heard it. Would it have been a burden to take three minutes to give his cousin's new record a spin, a record also featuring his bandmates Al, David, and Matt?

Seriously, if it's all about good vibes, how does it look to flatly deny even listening to a new single featuring those musicians and a blood relative? Can whatever axes there are to grind be put down for three minutes to take a listen? As a musician, I'd be curious to hear the results, whether there are bad feelings or not under the surface.

I saw Bruce Johnston took a listen and commented on the Google preview tracks, and it was good to see he had done that. Whatever is going on, if it really is "all about the music", this is what musicians do...they listen. And when it involves people you've lived with and worked with for 50 years+, you put the bullshit aside and listen. I hate to use the term, but it was almost refreshing to read Bruce's comments after taking a preview listen, it showed that whatever else is going on, he was interested enough to both listen AND comment. Or maybe he, as he was in the 60's, is genuinely interested in hearing new music from Brian Wilson.

That's one way to set the record straight...drop the needle and listen.

If you like or don't like it, at least say you listened and wish it the best of luck, unless you really don't care. To dismiss it entirely and say you didn't listen is both hard to believe and sort of pathetic. Three minutes.

My 2 cents.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 28, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »

"I will elaborate more on the 50th anniversary and it's end in my book."

Fascinating...

Really? I'd find it fascinating if his current claim wasn't completely contradicting his story two years ago. That really isn't good promotion for an upcoming autobiography.

It's a shame because I would like Mike's book to do well (as with Brian's) and I'd like to see all of them succeed and be happy. I'd love to see them get together again but if they don't, I still wish each fraction of the band the best. What I find most fascinating of Mike's "comment" or "interview" is that at the end, he still seems to keep the possibility of getting together again open.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 28, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »

This thread is the equivalent of what happens after you've spent the night throwing up but still feel sick. All that's left is noxious smelling stomach acid and bile, leaving little greasy splashes on the floor.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:03:00 AM by Wirestone » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: February 28, 2015, 10:05:49 AM »

This thread is the equivalent of what happens after you've spent the night throwing up but still feel sick. All that's left is noxious smelling stomach acid and bile, leaving little greasy splashes on the floor.

Then don't post and let those who do want to discuss the topic at hand have a chance. Things don't go right so we shut it down and throw sh*t on it? That's ridiculous.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: February 28, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »

Then don't post and let those who do want to discuss the topic at hand have a chance.

Ah, see, there's the problem: not everyone wants to stay on topic. If everyone did that, why... we'd have world peace. Maybe even candy bars.  Grin

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 28, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »

A shortened version of what I wanted to say before the computer problems struck yesterday...

It could/should/would be all about the music, no doubt. I can't count the number of times I and others here have said that, it's amazing how actually giving some of these songs we all know a spin can erase a lot of bad feelings...here and in real life.

One point I had to get off my chest from the original article. Brian's new song clocks in at three minutes or so, and has been out long enough that it can easily be found on YouTube and elsewhere. I find it both disappointing and bordering on absurd that Mike claims to have not heard it. Would it have been a burden to take three minutes to give his cousin's new record a spin, a record also featuring his bandmates Al, David, and Matt?

Seriously, if it's all about good vibes, how does it look to flatly deny even listening to a new single featuring those musicians and a blood relative? Can whatever axes there are to grind be put down for three minutes to take a listen? As a musician, I'd be curious to hear the results, whether there are bad feelings or not under the surface.

I saw Bruce Johnston took a listen and commented on the Google preview tracks, and it was good to see he had done that. Whatever is going on, if it really is "all about the music", this is what musicians do...they listen. And when it involves people you've lived with and worked with for 50 years+, you put the bullshit aside and listen. I hate to use the term, but it was almost refreshing to read Bruce's comments after taking a preview listen, it showed that whatever else is going on, he was interested enough to both listen AND comment. Or maybe he, as he was in the 60's, is genuinely interested in hearing new music from Brian Wilson.

That's one way to set the record straight...drop the needle and listen.

If you like or don't like it, at least say you listened and wish it the best of luck, unless you really don't care. To dismiss it entirely and say you didn't listen is both hard to believe and sort of pathetic. Three minutes.

My 2 cents.

I echo those sentiments exactly. But I fear we will never hear genuine, nice kind words of praise from Mike about the new music… Unless they are followed with the word "but", or some similar sentiment. And that's really, really sad.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 28, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »

Fine.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: February 28, 2015, 10:23:28 AM »

It's more a case of not wanting to discuss and debate in a way that an open forum would allow if not encourage. If something is said that someone else doesn't agree with, there are many ways to challenge and offer an opposing view without making it personal. There are ways to challenge something that doesn't seem accurate with the facts as you know them without taking personal jabs. And there are ways to disagree strongly and debate without slinging mud. It's not always an easy road to take, but it's still open.

I really take issue with calls for threads to be shut down and a collection of opinions and discussions being labeled as vomit when the direction of these discussions is in the hands of everyone who chooses to post. If you're not happy with the score of the game, is it a case of "I'm taking my ball and going home" so no one else can play? That's playground stuff. Give everyone a chance to speak up, and if you don't agree or take issue with what's said, then debate and challenge it in a way that doesn't spin the original issue into all kinds of stuff that is miles away from the original points.

If it didn't happen in numerous other discussions over the past year or so, the whole divert-distract-diminish-dismiss thing, I wouldn't have called it out here. If board members want to challenge or agree with the words of the original article, let them do it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »

Bowing out of this one
..I've read too many 'Ooh Mike is an asshole' and 'Ooh Brian's being controlled' bullshit threads to last a lifetime. I have enough stress as is with some health matters. So if this thread stays open, I won't have any part of it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 28, 2015, 10:59:31 AM »

Hey, who doesn't like bacon?

I can think of roughly 13 million people off the top of my head.

Do you seriously believe this to be true?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »

Actually yeah...those of us who follow a Kosher diet, for one (although I'm not one of them anymore). Just one example.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2015, 11:38:31 AM »

The question is, does AGD seriously believe that no Jewish person eats pork, as his post implied?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 28, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »

do we really have to argue about whether Jewish people eat pork or not
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 28, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »

do we really have to argue about whether Jewish people eat pork or not

We shouldn't because it isn't an argument to be had.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: February 28, 2015, 11:56:27 AM »

The question is, does AGD seriously believe that no Jewish person eats pork, as his post implied?
not only us, don't forget vegetarians, or people on a restricted diet for health reasons like I am now, so there's a variety of different reasons.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:00:36 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 28, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »

glad we're staying on topic here...  Roll Eyes
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 28, 2015, 12:09:23 PM »

Look, bacon's been around for like, how many decades? Centuries? All Mike has to do is send Bruce down to the nearest Ralph's and put a strip or two on the stove. Takes like 3 minutes to cook ..... Brian loves bacon! Bruce has even posted some comments about liking bacon. Why can't Mike just cook some himself instead of just saying "Oh, I've never had it" .... Makes me sad...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:10:47 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx