gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 12:54:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Live IN Concert 1973  (Read 13715 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2016, 08:47:30 AM »

Does anyone Know exactly what concerts this is from and what songs are from what concerts? I have heard rumors that its from a lot of different concerts from 1972-1973 but then I also heard its just from two concerts. Just wondering if anyone knows what songs go to what concert. Thanks
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 11:00:45 AM »

Side One.

SAIL ON, SAILOR
Pine Knob Ampitheatre, Clarkston, MI, Monday September 3, 1973

SLOOP JOHN B.
Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale/Long Island, NY, Sunday August 19, 1973

THE TRADER

YOU STILL BELIEVE IN ME
Syria Mosque, Pittsburgh, PA, Friday August 31, 1973

CALIFORNIA GIRLS

DARLIN'
Century Theatre, Buffalo, NY, Saturday September 1, 1973

Side Two.

MARCELLA
Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, Tuesday November 19, 1972

CAROLINE, NO
The Mosque, Richmond, VA, Saturday August 18, 1973

LEAVING THIS TOWN

HEROES AND VILLAINS

Side Three.

FUNKY PRETTY

LET THE WIND BLOW

HELP ME, RHONDA

SURFER GIRL

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE

Side Four.

WE GOT LOVE

DON'T WORRY BABY

SURFIN' U.S.A.

GOOD VIBRATIONS

FUN, FUN, FUN
?

Mixed at Sound City Studio B, Van Nuys, CA - Mix Produced by Carl Wilson and Ricky Fataar
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 01:46:11 PM »

Very interesting!! Thanks c-man!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 02:05:55 PM »

Indeed, many thanks indeed.

There's y'r next archive release, right there - every gig, every song. I AM being greedy…!

“We live in divisive times.”
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »

Good info. Would love to see a reissue including selections from SURF'S UP & SUNFLOWER plus "Jumpin' Jack Flash"!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 03:08:42 PM »

Would be amazing with a live box with a ton of shows, especially if they're from the 70's. I don't care if it's got Surfer Girl 5-6 times, so do all their other material. Just give me all that live sh*t, with CCW, SU, JJF, WH, etc etc etc.

Damn that would be fun to listen to...

Just listening to Live in Nassau Coliseum 1974 just serves how much energy and exuberance there is in these performances!
bridencar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 03:45:58 PM »

Side one they dedicate the album "To Brian with love and gratitude".
It's scratched into the album by the label I always thought that was pretty cool!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 04:04:48 PM »

Good info. Would love to see a reissue including selections from SURF'S UP & SUNFLOWER plus "Jumpin' Jack Flash"!

Agree. You could fill up an entire second disc with great stuff!

If they ever wanted to reissue/remaster it again, and stay with a single disc, they COULD add "Jumpin' Jack Flash" or another classic from Surf's Up or Sunflower. The album clocks in at a little over 75 minutes, so there's room for one more song; I guess it would be close.

One thing that always stood out and I guess confounded me was the erratic transitions between the songs. Even on the remastered CD the applause is choppy, fades fast, and is different volumes from song to song. I'd like to see some good overdubbing and mastering of applause to make it sound a little more smooth and...consistent.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »

Agree with the transition between songs. Take a listen to the start of WIBN. It sounds like a audience of 10 year old kids.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AFRD-VJgjxU
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:37:48 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 04:54:32 PM »

Agree. You could fill up an entire second disc with great stuff!

If they ever wanted to reissue/remaster it again, and stay with a single disc, they COULD add "Jumpin' Jack Flash" or another classic from Surf's Up or Sunflower. The album clocks in at a little over 75 minutes, so there's room for one more song; I guess it would be close.

One thing that always stood out and I guess confounded me was the erratic transitions between the songs. Even on the remastered CD the applause is choppy, fades fast, and is different volumes from song to song. I'd like to see some good overdubbing and mastering of applause to make it sound a little more smooth and...consistent.
As I recall, that was the fashion of the time to keep the applause low and fade out quickly. Also, I always thought that Sloop John B. was recorded in Tucson, Az.. It sounds like Dennis says something like "Arizona away" or something to that effect, at song's end.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 04:55:01 PM »

this is clearly a mystery why this period has been kind of 'forgotten'.  other bands get royal treatment, but not The Beach Boys.
It was also the period where Dennis really came to the front with the others that is also not documented well enough.
A grand ol boxset with a DVD would be amazing!  The footage is out there as well as the tracks.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 06:12:38 PM »

I was there at Pine Knob for Sail On Sailor. I remember Jack Reilly jumping around the stage before the concert. Also saw Daryl warming up and Toni checking Mike's mic. Wonderful show with everybody there except Brian to finish the Summer. What a fine night it was in the Motor City.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »

I was there at Pine Knob for Sail On Sailor. I remember Jack Reilly jumping around the stage before the concert. Also saw Daryl warming up and Toni checking Mike's mic. Wonderful show with everybody there except Brian to finish the Summer. What a fine night it was in the Motor City.

You must be thinking of two different Pine Knob shows - Daryl and Toni left at the end of '72, after the November tour, and "Sailor" wasn't added to the setlist 'til the following year.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 12:33:22 AM »

Side One.

SAIL ON, SAILOR

SLOOP JOHN B.

THE TRADER

YOU STILL BELIEVE IN ME

CALIFORNIA GIRLS

DARLIN'
Century Theatre, Buffalo, NY, Saturday September 1, 1973

Side Two.

MARCELLA

CAROLINE, NO

LEAVING THIS TOWN

HEROES AND VILLAINS

Side Three.

FUNKY PRETTY

LET THE WIND BLOW

HELP ME, RHONDA

SURFER GIRL

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE

Side Four.

WE GOT LOVE

DON'T WORRY BABY

SURFIN' U.S.A.

GOOD VIBRATIONS

FUN, FUN, FUN
?

Mixed at Sound City Studio B, Van Nuys, CA - Mix Produced by Carl Wilson and Ricky Fataar

And this, gentle posters, is why I cherish this forum as no other: solid, new information on this band that we love and no fuckwittery or shitweasledom. Let us go on this way.*

[* you see what I did there ?]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 12:36:46 AM »

You're thinking 9/4/72 if Jack, Daryl & Toni were there. But "SO,S" wouldn't be recorded for another three months...

Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 07:14:30 AM »

So, I'm sitting down with my first cup of coffee this dreary Maryland morning, perusing the Board, and my eye catches a post about In Concert

Well, that is my favorite period of the Boys' career (apart from, well, you know . . . ), so I click on and see the inquiry from The_Beach.  Great question!  Yeah, I'd like to know that, too.

I'm not sure if that information is available or where one would even begin to look for it.  Then, a short time later -- a mere 2 hours, 12.5 minutes, and 45 seconds, to be precise -- there's the answer.  Clear, concise, neatly presented, easy to print out, and opening the door to oh so many fantastic possibilities. 

And my very next thought is, "This Board is, quite frankly, amazing.  A fairly complicated question gets a thorough, authoritative response in about two hours. It's like having your very own Beach Boys History Hotline.  Where else could that happen?"

So, thank you C-Man for always raising the bar on this Board's potential and magic.

And thank you, Andrew, for the added bonus . . . two new favorite words . . . .fuckwittery and shitweasledom.  But the night is so young.   

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 07:32:34 AM »

Indeed, this board is the best for information, no doubt about it. I love this kind of stuff. Smiley It's all the other crap that gets posted in here that keeps me away or more importantly, not as involved.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 07:52:40 AM »

I've been listening to this album non stop since 1976.  One thing I've observed over the years... the bg vocal blend seems fuller, more lush on the 1972 cuts (Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations, Don't Worry Baby).  On the August / September recordings, the bg vocals seem less prominent, almost buried.  California Girls, Surfin' USA and Sail on Sailor are prime examples.

Anyone else notice this?
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 03:10:50 PM »

Funny how Mike says releasing archive material is barrel scrapping, yet we get the party! Unplugged. Makes sense...

It's 2016.. Doubt were gonna any early 70s live shows released. Somebody dropped the balls on that one. Whoever releases the stuff for the dead and Dylan bring them over to us!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 03:23:53 PM »

I've been listening to this album non stop since 1976.  One thing I've observed over the years... the bg vocal blend seems fuller, more lush on the 1972 cuts (Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations, Don't Worry Baby).  On the August / September recordings, the bg vocals seem less prominent, almost buried.  California Girls, Surfin' USA and Sail on Sailor are prime examples.

Anyone else notice this?

Never noticed this myself, but possibly this could be because the 1972 songs were mastered differently because they were intended to be part of the earlier, single-disc version of the album before it got rejected and turned into a double album with songs from the summer 73 tour.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 04:12:34 PM »

I may be misremembering, but I don't think any of the single disc versions made it to the released version.

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 05:08:01 PM »

I was lucky enough to have attended the August 19th show at the Nassau Coliseum in New York with my then girlfriend Jacquie. It was a great time to be a BB fan and we had a marvelous time. Thanks for the great info C-Man
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 05:19:45 PM »

I may be misremembering, but I don't think any of the single disc versions made it to the released version.

Hmm, that's interesting. Would Ian or Jonathon perhaps have any more information of this subject?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »

Hmm, that's interesting. Would Ian or Jonathon perhaps have any more information of this subject?

I just listened to each  of the songs from the single disc and the double release and I concur that none of them are the same

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 06:45:58 PM »

Yes, the show I saw was on Labor Day weekend in 1972. Everything else is correct.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx