gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680977 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 02:08:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145750 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: December 22, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »

Phil will be happy he has achieved one of his objectives for the week. He has gained attention through no aquisition of knowledge, no achievement of his own!!.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 22, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »

You guys are all attacking the Phil of six months ago, and not the Phil who has made several fairly bland and uncontroversial (for him) remarks. Enough already!

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #602 on: December 22, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »

I'm siding with AGD in this dispute, but these arguments are getting very heated.

It's not about sides or opinions. It's about abusive posts. I want to come on here and read about this wonderful news, not a bunch of mean spirited, offensive crap piled on someone for expressing an unpopular opinion. I don't agree with Phil, but I find it relatively easy to just skim over his posts.

What I find it hard to skim over is stuff like
Phil. You're a moron. A complete f*cking idiot. A waste of sperm.

And 18thof May....
Phil will be happy he has achieved one of his objectives for the week. He has gained attention through no aquisition of knowledge, no achievement of his own!!.

You may well be right. The term "personality disorder" has been floating around this week. Maybe Phil has this need to seek attention by posting his negative points of view. Maybe he enjoys the reactions these posts evoke.

Another type of personality disorder is the one where you feel the need to be incredibly abusive and rude to anyone who disagrees with you.

One is relatively harmless, one is not

Anyway, quite frankly, I don't care. I just want to read about the reunion and forget my troubles. I'm not going to get wound up. I've got better things to do. Like going to bed.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:41:42 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 22, 2011, 04:42:20 PM »

Seriously AGD, damn. Calling him a 'waste of sperm' is a bit much, y'know?

IHA, I hope your sister pulls through  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 22, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »

In my opinion, Phil is trolling AGD.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 22, 2011, 05:30:28 PM »

I think Phil is either trolling or he is a severely emotionally disturbed. He never has anything good to say, ever. And that is a fact.

I think somebody needs to call this guy out, and AGD is the guy for it. I have no problem with differing points of view, but Phil really has went overboard with the doubting of all this stuff. It hasn't even been a week since, and he is doubting all these new releases. I mean, give it a break dude, seriously.

Yes, AGD may have been a little too mean, but lets face the facts, Phil is either an attention whore, or he is a total fake.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: December 22, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »

Yes, AGD may have been a little too mean, but lets face the facts, Phil is either an attention whore, or he is a total fake.

Or both.

Phil. You're a moron. A complete f*cking idiot. A waste of sperm. I will personally mobilize all my contacts, exert my considerable influence and see to it that no-one tells you a thing about the reunion reissues. Because you don't deserve it - you not a fan at all, you're border line psychopath. You worry about things that haven't happened yet. When you go to bed (assuming you do sleep) do you worry you might not wake up in the morning, or that one of your legs might vanish in the night ? Seriously man, you need help, and urgently. That or putting down, like a mad dog.  Grin

Am I the only one who took Andrew's post to be somewhat tongue in cheek?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 22, 2011, 06:53:37 PM »

Or both.

Phil. You're a moron. A complete f*cking idiot. A waste of sperm. I will personally mobilize all my contacts, exert my considerable influence and see to it that no-one tells you a thing about the reunion reissues. Because you don't deserve it - you not a fan at all, you're border line psychopath. You worry about things that haven't happened yet. When you go to bed (assuming you do sleep) do you worry you might not wake up in the morning, or that one of your legs might vanish in the night ? Seriously man, you need help, and urgently. That or putting down, like a mad dog.  Grin

Nothing about it seemed tongue-in-cheek to me -- it had exactly the same tone as all of AGD's other recent responses to Phil's relatively innocuous (compared with his summertime rants) posts. You're a moderator, for crying out loud -- shouldn't you be at least URGING a higher standard of discourse, rather than excusing abusive posts?

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 22, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »

Fair is fair, Sean. Phil's posts are an abuse to my sense of sight. Better that Andrew handle Phil than all of us doing what we did back in the Summer. Besides, Phil always seems to direct a lot of his posts towards Andrew not spilling the beans with new Beach Boys information. I'm with Andrew on this one.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
PhilCohen
« Reply #609 on: December 22, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »

Other than "Smile", is there any other music(Beach Boys or other artists) worth going through this sort of B.S. to obtain it?(and, by the way, I'm not refering to the personal attacks against me). This isn't fun.

The experiences I've had on internet forums make me more certain than ever that I have made the correct decision in deciding never to participate in social networking sites. i have no desire to create an advertisement for myself on one of those sites. Experiences like the ones I had here make me quite wary of  further interactions with strangers on the internet.

My use of my computer has always been primarily for web surfing, internet shopping, word processing, watching YouTube videos,  e-mail,  printing photos, burning CD-R's etc.  All of the other things that I could do with a computer are largely unneccessary, and potentially unpleasant or an invasion of privacy. There's just too much viciousness out there.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 22, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »

Or both.

Nothing about it seemed tongue-in-cheek to me -- it had exactly the same tone as all of AGD's other recent responses to Phil's relatively innocuous (compared with his summertime rants) posts. You're a moderator, for crying out loud -- shouldn't you be at least URGING a higher standard of discourse, rather than excusing abusive posts?

I don't think it's tongue-in-cheek but I also don't particularly have a problem with him saying it.  Say what you will about AGD, and you can say plenty, but he does not mince words or hide what he feels.  I don't think he hates Phil, I think he's just SERIOUSLY annoyed by him. 

Also Andrew kind of has a point about the negativity thing.  Phil seems to be a pretty negative oh woe is me type of person. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 22, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »

Phil, you bring it on yourself. Why not change tactics? Like, speaking for yourself and not all Beach Boys fans. Not rip Andrew because he knows how to keep a confidence. Don't force your opinions as fact. I trust that you are a decent guy and it is just not coming across, here on the forum.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 22, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »

Other than "Smile", is there any other music(Beach Boys or other artists) worth going through this sort of B.S. to obtain it?(and, by the way, I'm not refering to the personal attacks against me). This isn't fun.

The experiences I've had on internet forums make me more certain than ever that I have made the correct decision in deciding never to participate in social networking sites. i have no desire to create an advertisement for myself on one of those sites. Experiences like the ones I had here make me quite wary of  further interactions with strangers on the internet.

My use of my computer has always been primarily for web surfing, internet shopping, word processing, watching YouTube videos,  e-mail,  printing photos, burning CD-R's etc.  All of the other things that I could do with a computer are largely unneccessary, and potentially unpleasant or an invasion of privacy. There's just too much viciousness out there.

What B.S. Phil? I wish that it hadn't taken 44 years for The SMiLE Sessions to come out, but most of that time was because the creator of that material did not want it out. And for probably the last 8 months before it was released, it took time to make sure it was to Brian's (and other principals) satisfaction. So, honestly once we heard Brian okayed it, we got it pretty quickly, and gosh, how great it is.

I'd reason to say that within a year, we will have a new Beach Boys box set, an opportunity to see Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and David perform live together, a new studio album, and most likely the ability to listen to things like the 1974 version of "California Feelin" or "(Wouldn't It Be Nice) To Live Again" whenever we please. That sounds pretty freakin' awesome to me.

I don't think there has been a better time to be a Beach Boys fan since from 1965-1972.
PhilCohen
« Reply #613 on: December 22, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »

The main point that I was trying to make, is after the prolonged stressful trip that we were put through to get "The Smile Sessions"(particularly the worrisome 5 months of silence, when Capitol had originally stated that a tracklisting would be revealed "soon") is a similar wall of secrecy really neccessary this time, given that there is much less potential(in non-Smile archival material) for disagreement amongst The surviving Beach Boys? Andrew G.Doe thinks that a similar wall of secrecy is justified this time, and I say that it isn't justified. And I should note that the description of the archival projects is so utterly vague, that if some of them don't happen, we won't even know what we've missed out on.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 22, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »

There is no wall of secrecy for crying out loud.

They aren't gonna play up a future archival release, while SMiLe is
peaking on the charts and a new studio album and tour are on the way.
Chronology of events.

1 SMILE
2NEW ALBUM
3 TOUR

4 Additional releases of previously unreleased material after those other things
have run their course. Personally I am surprised they are considering it at all in
less than 18-24 months. Given the huge nature of what's already happening.

Why would they talk a lot about these archival releases now? Maybe they will dig for
more material as they did with SMiLE for a period of time. I have no idea what the material
will consist of from the vaults, but if they deliver SMILE the new studio album and the tour
there is no doubt in my mind they will make good and deliver on their promise for additional
archival releases.

There was no silence for five months, it just took them awhile to get everything ready, there weren't
many leaks but we had a general idea of what was going on, and wow did they deliver, have you seen
the packaging on this SMiLE set ? WOW and the sound! CLean!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: December 22, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »

You know Phil, up until the Internet age, I never knew exactly when new Beach Boys product was coming out, let alone what was going to be on it. So, when TSS was announced and info came out slowly, I didn't panic. I trusted what Andrew was telling us, plus I was no worse off than I had been for most of my record buying life. There was never panic or gnashing of teeth.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 22, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »

True: There was a lengthy pause after the original Smile announcement (if you assumed, as many of us did, that the box would drop over the summer).

True: The pause was a little curious and concerning at the time.

True: During that time, the project was actually expanding and getting better, both in terms of amount of material included and the luxe packaging.

Takeaway: Delays are frustrating, but the most recent case shows that they served to make a better overall product.

Takeaway 2: Phil Cohen did not know what he was talking about. AGD did and repeatedly reassured us that all was well. AGD has been proven correct.

Is there anything else to talk about here?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: December 22, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »

The bolded part...I've known Andrew for years; he wouldn't be bragging about having "considerable influence".

I think drbeachboy said it best, though.
Phil, you bring it on yourself. Why not change tactics? Like, speaking for yourself and not all Beach Boys fans. Not rip Andrew because he knows how to keep a confidence. Don't force your opinions as fact. I trust that you are a decent guy and it is just not coming across, here on the forum.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #618 on: December 22, 2011, 08:57:05 PM »

There is no wall of secrecy for crying out loud.

They aren't gonna play up a future archival release, while SMiLe is
peaking on the charts and a new studio album and tour are on the way.
Chronology of events.

1 SMILE
2NEW ALBUM
3 TOUR

4 Additional releases of previously unreleased material after those other things
have run their course. Personally I am surprised they are considering it at all in
less than 18-24 months. Given the huge nature of what's already happening.

Why would they talk a lot about these archival releases now? Maybe they will dig for
more material as they did with SMiLE for a period of time. I have no idea what the material
will consist of from the vaults, but if they deliver SMILE the new studio album and the tour
there is no doubt in my mind they will make good and deliver on their promise for additional
archival releases.

There was no silence for five months, it just took them awhile to get everything ready, there weren't
many leaks but we had a general idea of what was going on, and wow did they deliver, have you seen
the packaging on this SMiLE set ? WOW and the sound! CLean!

Agreed on all counts.

alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 22, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »

Please, we have to get back to the original topic: Beach Boys reunion album and tour, future releases, etc...
Let's ignore Phil Cohen, and he'll stop say his silly negative things.
This subject (reunion) is so special, we have so much things to discuss, and we're losing time giving so much attention to Phil.
PhilCohen
« Reply #620 on: December 22, 2011, 09:49:35 PM »

Please, we have to get back to the original topic: Beach Boys reunion album and tour, future releases, etc...
This subject (reunion) is so special, we have so much things to discuss, and we're losing time giving so much attention to Phil.

How much more is there to say? At least with "Smile", we could discuss what we knew about the music, based on existing bootlegs. This time, we don't even know what era of Beach Boys music Mark Linett & Alan Boyd may be compiling.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 22, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »

How much more is there to say? At least with "Smile", we could discuss what we knew about the music, based on existing bootlegs. This time, we don't even know what era of Beach Boys music Mark Linett & Alan Boyd may be compiling.

Who knows, maybe they're not compiling anything at all. Does seem a little quick to release another box after the expansive SMiLe release in 2011.  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 22, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »

As Gamblers would say, Brian Wilson is a hard guy to handicap, I mean at 65
he turns in That Lucky Old Sun, which in some ways was this brilliant piece son
of Smile or first cousin to Smile. I remember thinking and reading other people's
posts, "oh my God can you Imagine if the Beach Boys had sung the parts"

Then I hear DIA the remake.. and I think, This is more like the new album we
will hear next year, more straight ahead stuff nothing fancy. I like both styles.
I also think, these are sharp guys, they are all around 70 years of age, they realize
this is the last studio album of new material as a band. So naturally they want it
to be good.

I don't know who really composed and put That Lucky Old Sun together, if it was
Brian Wilson or the band or what. Or rather who did what to which degree.

I don't expect the Beach Boys to go there, to an esoteric place. I am hoping for
new songs put together as well as DIA, Soul Searchin, Forever She'll be my Surfer Girl.

if they can put together 10-12 new tracks as good as those I mentioned, with the beautiful
beach Boy voices I will be more than satisfied.    I think they will go for straight ahead sound
like what we heard with DIA. Because of their age, time constraints, a lack of desire to spend
that much time in the studio together.

I am absolutely enthralled with the idea of hearing this new album. Its like a gift from heaven
a new Beach Boys album wow!

Is Joe Thomas considered the producer on this new album? or one of the co producers?

Is this album going to be one of those deals, where every track was done in a different studio
with different people, players engineers,, points of view? Albums done in that fashion can work
but I think they are better off with one crew of people, one studio and one direction, for the sake
of a cohesive album. Given all the circumstances. I can't wait I am excited as hell. I think this could
be the best thing they have done since the early seventies. everything is gonna be distilled down
to these last dozen songs, their musical last hurrah in the studio.

I mean are  there many people here who did not say to themselves when they heard Lucky Old Sun,
wow this is pretty damn good, Imagine if Jardine and Love and Johnston were singing where Brian
sounds like a frog, I mean what might Midnight's another day have sounded like ?  Or Forever Surfer Girl
with the beach Boys blend. Wilson couldn't carry all of the lead vocals on every song, some of them just
sounded croaky.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:25:09 PM by vintagemusic » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 22, 2011, 10:55:43 PM »

Yes.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 22, 2011, 11:07:18 PM »

i don't think phil ever says anything as offensive as most of the posts sent his way.  Some of the attacks are quite pathetic, and hilarious in how personal some people take them.  Yeah, Phil is kinda weird, and an eeyore.  but whatever.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx