gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681075 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 02:02:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Good Time"  (Read 11770 times)
blazer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 02:38:02 AM »

This is the "Good Time" appreciation thread. I love that song, especially when I listen to it in the context in which it was created, with other early-'70s recordings. I love Al's and Brian's voices. I love how it's goofy. I love the cheesy organs. I love the horns. I love the percussion. I love singing along with all the parts at once (or thinking I am doing so until I realize that's impossible and maybe I've had too much to drink and am actually massacring the song).

"Good Time."

It needs your vote. Vote yes for "Good Time."

Yes. Yes.

I also enjoy the low key "Hey" with 7 seconds left in the song.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 03:29:57 PM »

The Beach Boys version of "Good Time" would have totally ruined the artistic integrity of Sunflower.  The Beach Boys really needed to be taken seriously when Sunflower was released...

And that effort was so successful, they were able enough to be taken seriously by all 213 people who bought the album. Serious, my ass. Such efforts may well have helped them sell concert tickets and a few albums in the early 70s, but I don't think anyone loves the Beach Boys for their somber outlook or deep ruminations. They should have put out their best music. They failed to do that consistently from 1966 onward (despite plenty of great stuff in those years). Brian was correct when he thought humor was an important part of music and life.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 03:44:23 PM »

The Beach Boys version of "Good Time" would have totally ruined the artistic integrity of Sunflower.  The Beach Boys really needed to be taken seriously when Sunflower was released...

And that effort was so successful, they were able enough to be taken seriously by all 213 people who bought the album. Serious, my ass. Such efforts may well have helped them sell concert tickets and a few albums in the early 70s, but I don't think anyone loves the Beach Boys for their somber outlook or deep ruminations. They should have put out their best music. They failed to do that consistently from 1966 onward (despite plenty of great stuff in those years). Brian was correct when he thought humor was an important part of music and life.

Yup. Its that kind of second guessing that screwed the Beach Boys out of a greater legacy.
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 08:35:39 PM »

Sorry to necro such an old thread, but can anybody give me more info about the version found on Dumb Angel? It's an interesting arrangement, and the booklet tells me nothing. Is it just an alternate take or is it from a different time period or what?

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »

Yes from me too. As a notorious Love You disliker it is the best song on that album. Grin

Someone mentioned Sunflower should have been a double album - so do I think, there was enough material, and I absolutely love the collection of songs commonly referred to as "Landlocked" which could have been the second disk. Minus Til I Die, plus Games Two Can Play. "Good Time" was part of that collection. I don't think a double album would have sold any better, though.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »

Oh hells yes, this song is awesome. Probably the best on Love You, next to Johnny Carson.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 05:52:32 AM »

I've been messing around with the settings on my phone's media player (Android) where you can change the speed of the music you're playing for a slight reduction of quality. At 0.7x speed, Good Time sound pretty dope. It adopts a sort of drunk/sinister vibe. Try it out. 

Ding Dang is another one that sounds particularly good at that speed.

Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 06:31:03 AM »

Sorry to necro such an old thread, but can anybody give me more info about the version found on Dumb Angel? It's an interesting arrangement, and the booklet tells me nothing. Is it just an alternate take or is it from a different time period or what?

I think the box set would've been a good opportunity to put out this version (this would be the "Landlocked" one?).  The backing vocals being more present make it really come alive compared to the Love You one.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »

There's only one version, really. The 1970 take, the 1977 take and the Spring version are all remixes of the same basic track.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »

Definitely YES! Great, fun song. I can't think of which Beach Boys album it would appropriate for. I'm used to it being on Love You but I agree that it's out of place on it. What if it wound up on 15 Big Ones instead? Musically would it make more sense there? Undecided

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »

It always seemed to weirdly suit Love You to me... no idea why though

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 08:29:30 AM »

The album it might have fit best on is Surf's Up - it could be a fourth comedy track after Feet, Don't Go Near the Water and A Day in the Life of a Tree.

It doesn't fit musically on Love You because the bass synth vibe and the non gruff Brian vocal (or non drunk Carl vocal or superraspy Dennis vocal) is not there.  Lyrically it's a good fit though.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »

The album it might have fit best on is Surf's Up - it could be a fourth comedy track after Feet, Don't Go Near the Water and A Day in the Life of a Tree.

It doesn't fit musically on Love You because the bass synth vibe and the non gruff Brian vocal (or non drunk Carl vocal or superraspy Dennis vocal) is not there.  Lyrically it's a good fit though.

Don't you mean "because...the GRUFF Brian vocal...is not there" ? The vocal that IS there is NON-gruff.  Smiley
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 02:37:25 PM »

It doesn't fit musically on Love You because the bass synth vibe and the non gruff Brian vocal (or non drunk Carl vocal or superraspy Dennis vocal) is not there.  Lyrically it's a good fit though.

Don't you mean "because...the GRUFF Brian vocal...is not there" ? The vocal that IS there is NON-gruff.  Smiley

Yes you are of course correct - I did double negatives . . . It should be gruff Brian vocal or drunk Carl vocal!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »

Definitely YES! Great, fun song. I can't think of which Beach Boys album it would appropriate for. I'm used to it being on Love You but I agree that it's out of place on it. What if it wound up on 15 Big Ones instead? Musically would it make more sense there? Undecided

I like it on Love You. I think it really fits, even if Brian's vocal sounds so much different. It even has weird organ sounds on it. I don't think Brian threw the song on "just cuz." It fit the project in his mind, even if it was 7 years old by the time it was released (who in the public would know that, anyway?).

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:11:07 PM by Gabo » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »

I've been messing around with the settings on my phone's media player (Android) where you can change the speed of the music you're playing for a slight reduction of quality. At 0.7x speed, Good Time sound pretty dope. It adopts a sort of drunk/sinister vibe. Try it out. 

Ding Dang is another one that sounds particularly good at that speed.

Cool Guy

I accidentally played "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" at that speed once and it had definitely a "Smiley Smile album" vibe that way! Try it! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »

It always seemed to weirdly suit Love You to me... no idea why though

The same type of humor. To me, it totally fits on LY.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »

The production style and the use of horns makes it a fit on Sunflower, in my opinion.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 05:24:40 AM »

Given it was initially recorded January 1970, that's not such a huge surprise.

clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »

Given it was initially recorded January 1970, that's not such a huge surprise.

Ah, well that explains it. Thanks.

I'm shocked that it didn't make it onto Sunflower. It's such a good song.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2014, 12:03:32 PM »

It was on the Add Some Music master assembled 2/18/70... and also, oddly, the "2nd Warner Brothers LP" master assembled 9/1/70 (the alleged Landlocked album).

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »

I think the 'Landlocked' mix is better. Especially the instrumental bridge.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx