gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681042 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 04:50:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian says Beach Boys reunion album sounds "mellow".  (Read 68934 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »

Symbolically I suppose it would be nice, if the purpose of the reunion is to provide some ultimate sense of closure or catharsis to the Beach Boys story. But I don't think you can engineer that, if the album is good, that'll be the best possible closure. I don't really believe David Marks will be the pivotal element here. I like The Moon plenty, but I don't see David offering much to the album other than an obligatory guitar solo or two. It's not like he's going to come in and produce the thing and write all the new songs. This whole thing is about Brian and his relationship with Mike Love, let's face it. Just shoehorning in a bunch of guests out of a sense of obligation isn't going to do anything to make the album better, dollars to donuts it'll only detract.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:34:12 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2011, 08:33:22 PM »

I agree Beam Bag.  It sounds dated now, but maybe Joe Thomas has matured in the past few years and the album will sound more relevant.  

I don't know what all went down, but think about it.

Brian and Mike obviously have issues.  Brian's got emotional considerations that everybody involved is thinking about, so they're looking first and foremost, to make Brian comfortable.

I think Melinda is looking for that... and I think Mike is also looking for that.  It makes it better for everybody.  They want to keep Brian in a good place.

So who should produce?  The last time they worked together, Joe Thomas produced it.  Mike's comfortable with that.  Brian, Mike, Jeff, and Joe are not strange bedfellows.  They've all got a long history and that's probably why those 4 are handling things.

I'm anxious to hear what wall of voices they can come up with.  I hope some of the young guys get in on the album, like Matt Jardine or Mike's kid.  
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »

I hope some of the young guys get in on the album, like Matt Jardine or Mike's kid.  
young is a relative word. Matt Jardine and Christian Love appeared as children on the Sunflower cover in 1970, which conservatively places them around 45 years old.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »

45 ain't old. imo.

And I can't understand apathy over David not appearing while being content with Jeff being on it. sry, it's wrong. WRONG.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »

Well of course we're talking about the Beach Boys.  Relative to the beach boys, they're young.  
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »

And I can't understand apathy over David not appearing while being content with Jeff being on it. sry, it's wrong. WRONG.

Well, Jeff toured with the group in the 80s and (I believe) sang on some of their studio material. He was on the original demo sessions for Kokomo. And he's a falsetto stand-in, which is a role that will have to be filled by someone. He also has Brian's ear and approval, which other folks like Matt Jardine just wouldn't have.

Dave just won't contribute as much, even if he appears. And while it would be nice if he were there, "apathetic" describes my emotions toward him too. He's so tangentially related to the music and period of the group that I enjoy. I acknowledge his role, have liked some of his songs, and am sure he's a great guy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »

Well, Jeff toured with the group in the 80s and (I believe) sang on some of their studio material.

And did a terrible job/played on terrible songs.

He was on the original demo sessions for Kokomo.

Terrible song.

And he's a falsetto stand-in, which is a role that will have to be filled by someone.

Anyone is better than Jeff.

He also has Brian's ear and approval, which other folks like Matt Jardine just wouldn't have.

Who says Matt wouldn't? Who says this isn't a decision by Brian's handlers, one of them being, y'know, Jeff?

Dave just won't contribute as much, even if he appears. And while it would be nice if he were there, "apathetic" describes my emotions toward him too. He's so tangentially related to the music and period of the group that I enjoy. I acknowledge his role, have liked some of his songs, and am sure he's a great guy.

O yeah. I mean he's only on toss-offs like "Surfer Girl", "In My Room", "Your Summer Dream", "Surfin' USA", "Farmers Daughter", trash like that. Surely the guy who played on the Sunkist version of "Good Vibrations" deserves a spot on a new Beach Boys recover over David Marks.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »

So will David make the album good?

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »

How would, say, Al Jardine make the album better but David wouldn't? How would anyone? Buncha washed up has been old d00ds working with the guy who invented Wendy's f*** these guys blah blah blah Pet Sounds Pet Sounds PET SOUNDS

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2011, 09:16:16 PM »

How would, say, Al Jardine make the album better but David wouldn't? How would anyone? Buncha washed up has been old d00ds working with the guy who invented Wendy's frig these guys blah blah blah Pet Sounds Pet Sounds PET SOUNDS

Oh ok well when you put it that way it makes so much sense  Roll Eyes

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm more concerned that they find a way to include Denny and Carl in this than I am about David Marks or any other relatives of members of touring bands or whomever.  Denny and Carl should each have a solo vocal a piece.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »

I know Joe Thomas ain't the most loved here...but I think he nailed it with Imagination.  He and Brian created a delicate, classic, sophisticated and mature sound on that album that knocked me out.  That album is so underrated.  Reading that he and the Beach Boys are working on this "hopeful" new Beach Boy release dropped my jaw.  Clearly, I'm right and those involved in this project are listening to logic and reason!!

Afro

You Are Correct, Sir!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2011, 09:32:26 PM »

I think folks want Matt Jardine on this record because he can do falsetto vocals well and with some kind of... respect? I don't know if that's the right word. He can do them justice, it's not a matter of him simply being the offspring of ol' Al Sardine. Yerp.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2011, 09:34:25 PM »

Wasn't the issue with Andy Paley that "nobody produces Brian Wilson"?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »

Wasn't the issue with Andy Paley that "nobody produces Brian Wilson"?

I'm sure Brian will be given the first production credit, if only for coughing in the general direction of a knob at some point. He's just not as into it as he was 40 some years ago, which is understandable. I'm very interested in them having the right guy in the group's corner and behind Brian's production ideas. I don't know if Dave Thomas is that guy, but we'll see. I haven't heard any productions of his since, well, 1998. Some folks change, some don't.

I will say I hope we don't see a return to the double-tracked, reverb drenched Brian vocals of Imagination and GIOMH (although I know the latter is not Joe's work). It just does not work for his modern voice. Mostly dry with a bit of distant reverb, single-tracked, and right up front. "Midnight's Another Day", needisaymoar?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2011, 10:16:13 PM »

Quote from: runnersdialzero
I will say I hope we don't see a return to the double-tracked, reverb drenched Brian vocals of Imagination and GIOMH (although I know the latter is not Joe's work). It just does not work for his modern voice. Mostly dry with a bit of distant reverb, single-tracked, and right up front. "Midnight's Another Day", needisaymoar?

Agreed. I love how delicately-treated his vocal is on BWRG -- just an ounce of reverb, lightly treated. And his voice has that nice thick quality that I think sounds excellent without needing to be doubled.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2011, 10:47:15 PM »

David has a great voice for Dennis style leads on the reunion album.
Exactly.  And the same coolness vibe!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2011, 12:18:06 AM »

Oh nooooo. Jeff.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2011, 12:30:49 AM »

True, David jumped ship October 1963, but in the 19 months he was officially in the band, he played on three Top 10 singles, a Top 20 one, three Top 30 B sides and a Top 50 single, and three Top 10 albums (and a #32 one for good measure). Plus, he was there at the very beginning. This summer, I was told by two different people that the door was open, and neither of them had the initials ACJ.

He should be there.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2011, 12:40:10 AM »

If he brings something to the table he should be there.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2011, 12:55:38 AM »

Musicianship, history.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2011, 01:02:54 AM »

Musicianship, history.

They should be more concerned with doing something new, interesting, you know good, rather than wasting their time with some misty eyed tribute to "history". I don't see David Marks' participation as being anything other than symbolic. If he's there, fine. If he's not, that's fine too. The best way they respect the wonderful legacy of The Beach Boys is by going out on a high note, by doing something original, and honest that stands with their best work.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2011, 01:39:19 AM »

Musicianship, history.

They should be more concerned with doing something new, interesting, you know good, rather than wasting their time with some misty eyed tribute to "history". I don't see David Marks' participation as being anything other than symbolic. If he's there, fine. If he's not, that's fine too. The best way they respect the wonderful legacy of The Beach Boys is by going out on a high note, by doing something original, and honest that stands with their best work.

You could argue that the Beatles Archeology reunion could have done without Ringo then, as he brings nothing to the table other than musicianship. And yes, I know, Ringo was there from the start through the end… oh, hang on… he wasn't the original drummer? He walked out during the White Album sessions?

You might be right, his presence might not be essential to the finished product but his guitar will lend it more validity as a BBs' product, in my opinion. It's wrong to talk of who has rights and who doesn't – that's for the guys (and their ladies) to sort out between them I reckons – but he's a Beach Boy. Jeff ain't.

From my fan's perspective, I say "let David in, bring him home".

As for Carl & Dennis vox on the album, I say "not essential". Nice if there's something worthy of inclusion, but no tokenism, please. Let the guys rest in peace and let their memory endure.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »

Musicianship, history.

I'd love the reunion to produce a strong new album... but realistically, it won't: these guys are all, bar David, 69/70 now. The reunion itself is symbolic. I've a feeling that the most significant music to emerge from it will be some decades old... and I'd just love to be proved totally wrong on this.  Smiley

hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2011, 05:28:07 AM »

if they have to do a reunion album, i'd prefer something that sounds like friends........i don't want any surfing/girl/car songs sung by guys in their 70s...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx