gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 11:03:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce ad for gig-- false advertising?  (Read 5133 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 07:48:59 AM »

Well, m-z, it's been a full twenty years plus, but I can tell you that when we got into the room- the bar- the dive, actually- it was a place called "Whiskey River" on Pio Nono Avenue in Macon, Georgia- they were already playing "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better", and I think that was the opener.  It's easy to remember, because it's one of my favorite songs of the sixties. They also closed with it, for sure, and in between, I think they just covered all the obvious bases, but the odd tracks that stick out in my memory, despite the flowing booze,  were "You Ain't Going Nowhere", which sounded great, of course, and (needless to say) "Sail On, Sailor"- when Blondie stepped up and was introduced I about fell out of my chair. I recall that  they also did a couple of Burritos numbers and I really wish I could tell you what they were.

It was truly a little dive of a bar, and about half the crowd were drunk and dancing- maybe two hundred people there. Funny now to think how easy it would have been to just stick around talk to any of them afterwards, or just show up during the sound check that afternoon and hang out with Blondie or Gene Clark or anyone.

On the complete other end of the pole, a few years earlier I had caught the Animals in Atlanta at the Fox Theatre and I think it was all five originals.  And  a revived version of the Hollies came around in about 1983; not sure how complete and original they were but pretty authentic, I think, unless maybe for Nash. Four out of five Zombies kicking around these days- amazing.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 09:57:07 PM »

I was on the Web site for the State Theater in NJ and saw that Mike and Bruce are playing soon. There's an ad there that says "Listen to Medley." I click it, and it plays a medley of the original Beach Boys recordings.

I guess you'd have to be dense not to know that those are 60s-era recordings and not the current live band, but isn't this false advertising? Maybe I'm just getting worked up over nothing, but I clicked the link expecting to hear the band in the press photo. Here's the site:

http://www.statetheatrenj.org

Oh come on that's rediculous!  The 'band' sometimes included studio musicians too, of course the people in the concert aren't the same people on the recording.  The songs are the same, though.  You think they should put a disclaimer that Hal Blaine won't be there?  That's not a valid argument at all. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx