gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680911 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 08:42:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211760 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »

I'm a Seasons fan, right up to the "Silver Star" era but this... no. Trying too hard to be hip. If something doesn't catch my ear from the off, it won't suddenly do it later.

Fair 'nuff. But, by that statement, are you saying that you've never gone back to listen to albums you've dismissed on a first listen?

One of the reasons I like this album is because, yes, they WERE trying too hard to be hip, and it shows. And it's dated. But, they were trying, they didn't sink into The Lettermen or The Vogues syndrome of making adult contemp. vocal schmaltz while everyone else was off smoking weed and writing about other things. I like The Hollies' Butterfly album for the same reason, in a slightly different context (e.g - Graham Nash trying too hard to write the next Sgt Pepper). I like Frankie Valli/ The Seasons and Graham Nash (while he was in The Hollies) respectively, so these things work for me on a level they might not for someone else.

The Four Seasons did make a truly grandiose psychedelic-pop-harmony masterpiece I consider head and shoulders beyond Gazette - and that is the single "Watch The Flowers Grow"/"Raven".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: February 24, 2013, 08:11:07 AM »

I'm a Seasons fan, right up to the "Silver Star" era but this... no. Trying too hard to be hip. If something doesn't catch my ear from the off, it won't suddenly do it later.

Fair 'nuff. But, by that statement, are you saying that you've never gone back to listen to albums you've dismissed on a first listen?

Just that*. Been doing this for the best part of 42 years and never have yet. If, as here, nothing - absolutely nothing - catches my ear the first time round, to my mind there's nothing worth persevering with. If you have to work at 'getting' something, if it doesn't immediately provide either an emotional or visceral hit, then there's nothing there for me. BTW, for me this applies for everything from Shakespeare to Ansel Adams and all stops in between. It's not just music.

[* - well, for pleasure. If someone's paying me then I'll go back. SIP would be the classic example here.]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #877 on: February 24, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »

If I had taken that route, I'd never become a fan of the Beach Boys, cause the only thing I knew them for as a kid was 'Kokomo' and 'Barbara Ann'. The one time I heard a non-single was 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister', which I hated then and still do now. :/

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 24, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »

If I had taken that route, I'd never become a fan of the Beach Boys

Yes!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 24, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »

Made in California box set is complete and about to be delivered to Capitol.  Release date as yet undetermined.

Thanks for the update from Southern California!  Wonder if most of this will be done at the Tower.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »

If I had taken that route, I'd never become a fan of the Beach Boys, cause the only thing I knew them for as a kid was 'Kokomo' and 'Barbara Ann'. The one time I heard a non-single was 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister', which I hated then and still do now. :/
Billy, not really true here. Andrew said that he was already a fan of the 4 Seasons, so not liking Imitation... is no different than him liking the Beach Boys, but not liking SIP. I am the same way. I am very familiar with The 4 Seasons since 1964 or so, and I know most of their music. I too, found nothing on Imitation... that floats my boat, except I do like Idaho.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 24, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »

Rag Doll is a very good album, and the first from Jersey Boys wich had all original tunes and no covers.
It's a well worth listen too "Entertain You" from 1965 and "Working My Way Back To You" from 1966, you can notice that Valli & Co had already changed their sound to deeper mood with gorgeous song such as "Betrayed", "Beggar's Parade" and most of all "Everybody Knows My Name" (very Dylanesque). And don't forget the talent of Bob Crewe, his productions have always been stylish.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 24, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »

This is obviously something AGD and I differ greatly on. Almost none of the music I love is music that appealed especially on first listen (except sometimes if it was by an artist I already loved, working in their normal style). Took me three or four goes to get Pet Sounds, for example.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #883 on: February 24, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »

He did stress that if "absolutely nothing" catches his ear first time, then it won't grow on him. So I don't think he's saying he has to love it first time

Personally I decide if I'm going to like or dislike something before I listen to it. then stick to that decision.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 24, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »

Experiencing The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette for the very first time as I type.

Um.

Not really happening. Somewhat sub-Jimmy Webb... trying a bit too hard. When I first heard Odessey & Oracle I was doing backflips around the room after two cuts. That's not happening here, at all.

[later] OK, so over halfway through. Getting a bit tedious now. I'll see it through to the end, but this will be the first and last listen.
I have to agree with AGD, and I even have the original LP, am a huge 4 Seasons fan having seen them like 10 times. Don't blame them for rolling the dice in a big way but there is a reason the album wasn' a big hit. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's no Pet Sounds.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: February 24, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »

My favourite stuff always tends to be the stuff that has to grow on me. When I first heard Genuine Immitation of Life... it was only Mrs. Stately's Garden and Idado that really grabbed me but after a few plays the other stuff got it's hooks into me. Same with Pet Sounds, I only really liked the singles from it initially. The rest had to grow on me.

Good news about the box set!!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 24, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »

Made in California box set is complete and about to be delivered to Capitol.  Release date as yet undetermined.

Someone please tell me this is true Sad

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 24, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »

I think it's a little silly judging an album on the premise that 'it's a band trying to be hip'. I'm not saying that it's not true, but from a musical/compositional standpoint 'Gazette' is pretty good. And by using that method, you would kinda dismiss Bee Gees' early albums, Status Quo and Del Shannon's late-60s albums - all great material, despite the fact that it doesn't fit their image/style.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #888 on: February 24, 2013, 01:51:55 PM »

I'm not. Just saying that to my ears, nothing grabs me and that part of the problem is that they're trying too hard. Other parts are a well-dodgy stereo mix and some uninspired/derivative/formulaic songwriting. I'm not dismissing the Seasons entirely, just this one album that I had high hopes for based on the comments of others.

Please try to understand that just because someone likes an album, it doesn't mean everyone else has to. I listened to it, uninterrupted and cold, aside from a few comments here, and it did nothing for me. That's it, I gave it a fair shot.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:58:56 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 24, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »

Sorry, thought this was a Beach Boys forum  Old Man

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 24, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »

Grin

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 24, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »

this is true.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #892 on: February 24, 2013, 03:45:52 PM »

It was, then we moved on to better things.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 24, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »

OMG that post was exciting

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 24, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »

One thing for sure, there will not be more than one Four Season's song on MIC.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:09:37 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
rogerlancelot
« Reply #895 on: February 24, 2013, 06:44:43 PM »

"Wonder What You'll Be" is my favorite song off the album.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 24, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »

One thing for sure, there will not be more than one Four Season's song on MIC.

What, "East Meets West"? I wouldn't be surprised if that's on there.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #897 on: February 24, 2013, 08:41:56 PM »

Experiencing The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette for the very first time as I type.

Um.

Not really happening. Somewhat sub-Jimmy Webb... trying a bit too hard. When I first heard Odessey & Oracle I was doing backflips around the room after two cuts. That's not happening here, at all.

[later] OK, so over halfway through. Getting a bit tedious now. I'll see it through to the end, but this will be the first and last listen.

It has it's moments, but overall, I agree with Andrew here -- it's no masterpiece! But their '66-'67 singles ARE I think.

For those who have not heard it, The Further Adventures of Charles Westover by Del Shannon is a stone-cold classic ... top 10 for me for sure.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:51:24 PM by DonnyL » Logged

halblaineisgood
« Reply #898 on: February 24, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:03:29 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #899 on: February 24, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »

Um.

It has it's moments, but overall, I agree with Andrew here -- it's no masterpiece! But they're '66-'67 singles ARE I think.

For those who have not heard it, The Further Adventures of Charles Westover by Del Shannon is a stone-cold classic ... top 10 for me for sure.

I disagree. I find Genuine Imitation to be a masterpiece. And thank you for the tip, I will be on the lookout for the Del Shannon album.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx