gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 02:58:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying MiC in the UK  (Read 12054 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 01:46:42 AM »

Halfway through disk 1, have to say I'm very impressed with the sound quality. All a lot clearer than my 1990 2fers.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2013, 02:06:59 AM »

It's here and in my hands. The packaging is A1 although annoyingly the tracklist at the back is separate so I'll have to keep it in a record sleeve

About to start Disc 1......
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 02:08:14 AM »

...have to say I'm very impressed with the sound quality. All a lot clearer than my 1990 2fers.

That was my experience on my first detailed listen yesterday too, (Stephen). So your ears aren't bleeding from too much compression either, then?

I know so much of this is subjective, or down to personal circumstances like ears, stereo setup, speakers etc.

It's just nice to know someone else is enjoying the sound of the set, too...!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:09:35 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2013, 03:11:44 AM »

I didn't get the 50 Big Ones package, or album reissues Matt, so a lot of this is new to me. Even in the mono cuts I'm hearing details I've never heard, since owning the original LP's through to know. Harmony lines, horn parts, even stuff like microphone pops. Another welcome addition is the tape hiss, very evident in a lot of the tracks. The removal of hiss in the original digital masters obviously took away a lot of these details I'm now hearing. (And I never had a good enough record player to appreciate the LPs)

Standout track so far is the stereo Wendy. Breathtaking in it's clarity. You can hear wonderful Dick Dale like bass line in the "future looks awful grim" part so clearly now.

Not too keen on the stereo Don't Worry Baby though, eq not quite right here, and too much modern reverb. Minor quibble.

Mark, Alan, if you read this, fantastic job! This is a set I will treasure.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2013, 03:54:37 AM »

My postie oesn't usually rock up here until about 1pm (we're in the sticks…) by which time I'll be on my way to "work".

I know so much of this is subjective, or down to personal circumstances like ears, stereo setup, speakers etc.

I think it's also down to what you grew up listening to music on and what your ears regard as "correct".  If I could play these discs (when they arrive) on a 1960s Dancette, I'd probably be a happy man…!

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2013, 04:58:48 AM »

Holy potatoes! Anyone seen this on the Hoffman board?

"UK iTunes store: Made In California boxset, including digital box set currently £7.99 !!! (7.99UKP) https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/made-in-california/id684704886

Not sure how long this pricing error will go uncorrected. Bought and downloading now!"

Thanks to Hoffman poster 'coffeetime'.

I have my set, so I don't need this, but for anyone still holding out, it surely can't last for long. Get in there while ya can!

By the way, I don't use the iTunes store, so I don't know the answer to this. The guy seems to be implying ("Made In California boxset, including digital box set...") that this price includes the physical set as well. Is this possible? I thought iTunes was strictly download only...?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2013, 05:28:58 AM »

No physical object, but there will be a digital booklet in .pdf format.

£8?! Jesus! Do i feel like a mug buying it for £70 now!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2013, 05:56:53 AM »

No physical object, but there will be a digital booklet in .pdf format.

£8?! Jesus! Do i feel like a mug buying it for £70 now!

Ah, but you bought the physical thing, right? So at least you have the tracks on CD in full resolution and a nice big orange book full of groovy pictures.

That's more than sufficient consolation for me. A bunch of digits that can get corrupted or wiped and then be gone for good isn't worth even eight pounds to me — you'd have to pay ME to take them away...

Plus, the book is REALLY cool, right?

OK, yes, I'm a nerd for that kind of thing. So shoot me.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2013, 06:03:17 AM »

Ah, but you bought the physical thing, right? So at least you have the tracks on CD in full resolution and a nice big orange book full of groovy pictures.

That's more than sufficient consolation for me. A bunch of digits that can get corrupted or wiped and then be gone for good isn't worth even eight pounds to me — you'd have to pay ME to take them away...

Plus, the book is REALLY cool, right?

OK, yes, I'm a nerd for that kind of thing. So shoot me.

BANG! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2013, 06:04:52 AM »

LOL

Haha, I guess you're right... I could have used that £62 though!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2013, 06:21:12 AM »

Amazon still aren't budging on my order.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2013, 06:57:05 AM »

Holy potatoes! Anyone seen this on the Hoffman board?

"UK iTunes store: Made In California boxset, including digital box set currently £7.99 !!! (7.99UKP) https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/made-in-california/id684704886

Not sure how long this pricing error will go uncorrected. Bought and downloading now!"

Thanks to Hoffman poster 'coffeetime'.

I have my set, so I don't need this, but for anyone still holding out, it surely can't last for long. Get in there while ya can!

By the way, I don't use the iTunes store, so I don't know the answer to this. The guy seems to be implying ("Made In California boxset, including digital box set...") that this price includes the physical set as well. Is this possible? I thought iTunes was strictly download only...?

This just worked for me… postie was empty handed this afternoon and I wouldn't normally have bought the download as well as the physical issue but this will be awaiting me only return home… save me ripping it to iPod tomorrow!

Many sincere thanks indeed for the heads-up.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2013, 10:08:15 AM »

Still not moving on my order either Freddie. Sad. I also tried to get the digital download from iTunes but no dice.  When I tried to download it the message says " this item is currently being modified"!  Oh well, just need to keep waiting!
Paulos
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »

I am now in possession of Made In California, just looking through the book now, will report back later.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »

I am now in possession of Made In California, just looking through the book now, will report back later.

You lucky hukflikdfsgfsegr\ajbsAASDNBNGH. My move to your area should have been sooner!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Paulos
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »

You lucky hukflikdfsgfsegr\ajbsAASDNBNGH. My move to your area should have been sooner!

This is what you get for being a Southerner. In all seriousness it makes no sense that some of us have had our deliveries today and you haven't got yours - we all ordered on the same day!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »

This is what you get for being a Southerner. In all seriousness it makes no sense that some of us have had our deliveries today and you haven't got yours - we all ordered on the same day!

Life's like that, isn't it? 
Only the other day, I was walking in the West End when, suddenly, I was set upon by hordes of fans and admirers who wanted to touch my toes

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Paulos
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »

Life's like that, isn't it? 
Only the other day, I was walking in the West End when, suddenly, I was set upon by hordes of fans and admirers who wanted to touch my toes

Nice non-sequitur Chris!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »

Amazon still aren't budging on my order.

Me neither and since I ordered, July 20 the dollar has gone up in relation to the pound.

So... as dollar soars Amazon UK will make a little more $ - my price has gone up $2 since I ordered.  Undecided

However thanks to my "secret weapon" all the tracks will be mine in about 30 more mins. he he.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:19:36 PM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »

I also tried to get the digital download from iTunes but no dice.  When I tried to download it the message says " this item is currently being modified"!  Oh well, just need to keep waiting!

Hmm… I got a sale confirmation message on my iPhone but haven';t been able to download the set, either on to the phone or my desktop. Would have been a sneaky purchase but it seems iTunes is being sneakier.  They'd better no have debited my account…

The set is now on iTunes UK for £59.99 btw…  short-lived error by all accounts…

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »

Was fortunate to receive mine today...does seem unfair and no logic to it; I am 'Southern' and my name surname is at the end of the alphabet...

The set looks great, I made the mistake of trying to digest the whole thing in one afternoon/evening in between watching the Chelsea game (boo).  Gonna go back to disc one and take it a little slower over the weekend.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2013, 01:35:28 AM »

Hmm… I got a sale confirmation message on my iPhone but haven';t been able to download the set, either on to the phone or my desktop. Would have been a sneaky purchase but it seems iTunes is being sneakier.  They'd better no have debited my account…

The set is now on iTunes UK for £59.99 btw…  short-lived error by all accounts…

Yeah, didn't work for me either.  Now I have an itunes account to cancel.  Back to original plan - walk into shop on Monday and lay down the £75.

£59.99.  I don't get how they can charge a price so similar to the physical product for lossy mp3s and a PDF.  People have said at times that the set is so expensive because of the packaging, but then how can it be so expensive for a digital copy?

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2013, 02:10:11 AM »

Thank God amazon have moved to 'Dispatching Now'. I did resort to sourcing MIC from other areas since the delay makes me feel justified, but I can't wait for the package - it's the most enticing part for me!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2013, 02:42:57 AM »

Thank God amazon have moved to 'Dispatching Now'. I did resort to sourcing MIC from other areas since the delay makes me feel justified, but I can't wait for the package - it's the most enticing part for me!

Wait until you see the photo of "Camel Toe" Mike, you may wish you'd gone for the digital option afterall.  Wink

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2013, 02:46:56 AM »

Still nowt…

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx