gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 05:28:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why a reunion won't happen.....  (Read 35671 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »

Scott did an excellent job writing songs for, er, with Brian.
Simply not true. Scott and Brian had one very productive month in 2006 and I have NEVER heard ANYONE say that they were doing anything less than PURE collaboration, not even the skeptics. Yes, Scott wrote lyrics for Brian, but no more so than a role that Tony Asher, Van Dyke Parks, or even your soon to be fiance Mike Love. Brian was composing pure melodies, albeit with a few leftovers; certainly every song (not narrative or segue) but "Live Let Live" and "California Role," was composed in a traditional way. Yes, Brian took a few concessions with the released album (I know that he acquiesced to having a verse of "Live Let Live" cut and that "Mexican Girl" was recorded more than once), but it was a pure collaboration in the writing stage.

I'm sorry if I come across harsh in this, but I just can't stand when people say something to the effect of "Oh yeah, Brian wrote songs on TLOS" all sarcastically. It's just a launch button and patently not true.

No problem, Td. You just go ahead and vent; it's good for you. But, really, sheesh, it was just a little attempt at humor. Ha ha.

And, I have to correct you. Mike Love is NOT my fiance; we're just dating. I just can't stand it when people say something to that effect. It's just a launch button and patently not true.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »

I'm really curious as to what it would sound like if all the remaining guys cut a record together. 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2009, 10:31:35 PM »

I'm really curious as to what it would sound like if all the remaining guys cut a record together. 

I have a feeling that we would all be let down by that to some degree.  Even if you take the same guys and put them in front of a mic, it's not going to sound like the 20-something year old Beach Boys we know and love.  There may be some familiarity to it, but at the end of the day, it would be a bunch of old guys singing parts that their voices really aren't able to handle anymore.

On the other hand, maybe some studio magic and renewed inspiration would make the results better than I'm anticipating.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2009, 10:36:35 PM »

Without augmentation, not good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »

Scott did an excellent job writing songs for, er, with Brian.
Simply not true. Scott and Brian had one very productive month in 2006 and I have NEVER heard ANYONE say that they were doing anything less than PURE collaboration, not even the skeptics. Yes, Scott wrote lyrics for Brian, but no more so than a role that Tony Asher, Van Dyke Parks, or even your soon to be fiance Mike Love. Brian was composing pure melodies, albeit with a few leftovers; certainly every song (not narrative or segue) but "Live Let Live" and "California Role," was composed in a traditional way. Yes, Brian took a few concessions with the released album (I know that he acquiesced to having a verse of "Live Let Live" cut and that "Mexican Girl" was recorded more than once), but it was a pure collaboration in the writing stage.

I'm sorry if I come across harsh in this, but I just can't stand when people say something to the effect of "Oh yeah, Brian wrote songs on TLOS" all sarcastically. It's just a launch button and patently not true.

No problem, Td. You just go ahead and vent; it's good for you. But, really, sheesh, it was just a little attempt at humor. Ha ha.
Okay, Sherriff, then the next time I think I hear a bad Mike Love lyric I'll take it as an (admittedly misguided) little attempt at humor. As long as you can be the wee bit more positive about Brian's solo career (as it is).

I mean my goodness, we agree about every other musical artist (Dylan, Macca, Dennis Wilson, Sparks, The Band) AND we're both supporters of The Beach Boys Love You...we're bound to drift apart for a little bit of a spell...but can we still be friends? Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2009, 11:08:03 PM »

I mean my goodness, we agree about every other musical artist (Dylan, Macca, Dennis Wilson, Sparks, The Band) AND we're both supporters of The Beach Boys Love You...we're bound to drift apart for a little bit of a spell...but can we still be friends? Grin

Only if you add The Doors to that list. police
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2009, 03:28:53 PM »

Only if you add The Doors to that list. police

Yes you MUST add the Doors to that list. I'm in agreement there  Grin

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »

With regards to the whole reunion business (and that's what it looks like to me...business), I can only support a reunion if there's a real organic reason for a reunion.

Say what you will, but McCartney, Dylan and Neil Young are still thinking, breathing creators that while they acknowledge their back-catalog, don't shirk from the responsibility to create something new, exciting and vital. Whether or not it hits the mark, they don't back down...don't back down, from that wave.

I'm only interested in a BB's reunion if there's a musical REASON for them to do it again...not some half-baked nostalgia trip.

And btw, I'd be the first to be blown away and over the moon over an awesome musical reconciliation. Not some half-assed comp disc of solo tracks like the Hallmark ceedee.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »

I'm only interested in a BB's reunion if there's a musical REASON for them to do it again...not some half-baked nostalgia trip.

Then you aren't and won't be interested. When was the last time the full band did something that wasn't a half-baked nostalgia trip? (Hint: LA.) That's 30 years ago..

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2009, 09:01:20 PM »

Then you aren't and won't be interested. When was the last time the full band did something that wasn't a half-baked nostalgia trip? (Hint: LA.) That's 30 years ago..

Ummm..."Where I Belong", "Somewhere Near Japan"...There was some good stuff hidden underneath all the crap!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2009, 06:46:04 AM »

OK, I guess if you consider that sort of thing good, then perhaps you would enjoy new stuff. I don't, and doubt I would.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2009, 07:11:56 AM »

I'd love to hear a new Beach Boys song as convincing as "Somewhere Near Japan". That song is as good as anything the group ever did when Brian Wilson wasn't involved as main songwriter/producer, to these ears anyway.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2009, 07:17:46 AM »

That is also one of the reasons why I would prefer that they play a hand full of live dates together, and not rush into recording more nostalgic songs. If they record new material, I don't see any way in which it won't be trying to reach back to their old hits. They're not going to make another Sunflower.

In my opinion, it would be fun to watch the old guys get together and enjoy revisiting the old times, without trying to add the pressure of making new records. In my mind, that could only come later, if at all. But something like a storytellers show, kind of like the 1993 Box Set tour, with all of the surviving members up there...that could be really nice.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »

That is also one of the reasons why I would prefer that they play a hand full of live dates together, and not rush into recording more nostalgic songs. If they record new material, I don't see any way in which it won't be trying to reach back to their old hits. They're not going to make another Sunflower.

In my opinion, it would be fun to watch the old guys get together and enjoy revisiting the old times, without trying to add the pressure of making new records. In my mind, that could only come later, if at all. But something like a storytellers show, kind of like the 1993 Box Set tour, with all of the surviving members up there...that could be really nice.

I down with this; ol' farts doing their well-earned ol' fart thing.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2009, 12:38:04 PM »

I think that if there is any kind of 50th Reunion thing it will be a one off (or 2-3 nights) stand in LA filmed for a DVD and live album. (No tour)  Even Bruce says he'd do that.

I can see it now: Happy Endings: The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Summer Spectacular (with special guest Little Richard)

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »

I think that if there is any kind of 50th Reunion thing it will be a one off (or 2-3 nights) stand in LA filmed for a DVD and live album. (No tour)  Even Bruce says he'd do that.

I can see it now: Happy Endings: The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Summer Spectacular (with special guest Little Richard)

Grin I'd pay to see that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2009, 01:03:23 PM »

Is Little Richard still alive?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2009, 01:09:09 PM »

You're trying to reason with someone who hates solo Brian simple because it's not the Beach Boys. And he thinks his opinion on solo Brian is THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS AND IS THE MAJORITY OPINION (never mind the fact that his opinion is actually in the minority).

Never mind the fact too that Brian's spent his whole solo career basically milking off of the Beach Boys' formula. Yes, I know he created it, but still. Old dogs, new tricks, that kinda thing. Maybe Brian will one day give us that album of jazz standards. Smiley
I think of it as Brian making BB records without the BB. John Fogerty not only gets a free pass but gets tons of critcal acclaim for "milking off of ther CCR formula" which could also be interpeted as making CCR records without Doug and Stu. In fact I said exactly the same thing about solo John to some CCR fans on Susan's board and got shut down (no pun intended). If anyone deserves to milk the BB formula, it's Brian simply because he created itbody deserves to milk the BB formula, it's Brian simply because he created it. Same with Fogerty and CCR's.

Brian did NOT create the Beach Boys formula!

The Beach Boys did!!!

Brian had some chords, Dennis had the subject matter, Mike had the lyrics (some of them) and the nasal lead/bass vocal, Brian had the fallsetto, and Al and Carl had a back-ups.... THAT is the Beach Boys formula! if anyone deserves the lions share of the credit, it's Dennis! if he hadn't insisted on them wrtiting about surfing, I doubt we'd have ever known about these guys. People really need to stop perpetuating myths. Sure, Brian took the formula and ran with it and was leader, without a doubt! But he did not singlehandedly create the Beach Boys formula!!!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:10:55 PM by Erik H » Logged
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »

Is Little Richard still alive?
Yep.

A-Wop-bop-a-loo-lop a-lop-bam-boo!!

oldsurferdude
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »

You're trying to reason with someone who hates solo Brian simple because it's not the Beach Boys. And he thinks his opinion on solo Brian is THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS AND IS THE MAJORITY OPINION (never mind the fact that his opinion is actually in the minority).

Never mind the fact too that Brian's spent his whole solo career basically milking off of the Beach Boys' formula. Yes, I know he created it, but still. Old dogs, new tricks, that kinda thing. Maybe Brian will one day give us that album of jazz standards. Smiley
I think of it as Brian making BB records without the BB. John Fogerty not only gets a free pass but gets tons of critcal acclaim for "milking off of ther CCR formula" which could also be interpeted as making CCR records without Doug and Stu. In fact I said exactly the same thing about solo John to some CCR fans on Susan's board and got shut down (no pun intended). If anyone deserves to milk the BB formula, it's Brian simply because he created itbody deserves to milk the BB formula, it's Brian simply because he created it. Same with Fogerty and CCR's.

The Beach Boys did!!!

Brian had some chords, Dennis had the subject matter, Mike had the lyrics (some of them) and the nasal lead/bass vocal, Brian had the fallsetto, and Al and Carl had a back-ups.... THAT is the Beach Boys formula! if anyone deserves the lions share of the credit, it's Dennis! if he hadn't insisted on them wrtiting about surfing, I doubt we'd have ever known about these guys. People really need to stop perpetuating myths. Sure, Brian took the formula and ran with it and was leader, without a doubt! But he did not singlehandedly create the Beach Boys formula!!!

WTF??? Shocked

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2009, 08:24:47 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6005.0.html

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »

The Beach Boys did!!!

...if he hadn't insisted on them writing about surfing, I doubt we'd have ever known about these guys. People really need to stop perpetuating myths. Sure, Brian took the formula and ran with it and was leader, without a doubt! But he did not singlehandedly create the Beach Boys formula!!!

It may conflict with your opinion, but that doesn't make it a myth.  It depends on the definition of "the Beach Boys formula", which is pretty subjective. If somebody asked me, I'd have said "Chuck Berry + Phil Spector + the Four Freshmen, and it grew from there."  The surf and car stuff was certainly important, too, but I usually wouldn't think of that right away because other bands were already doing all that stuff.

And I definitely don't agree that Brian would likely never have been heard from if not for Dennis' suggestion.

On a separate issue, whatever kick-start the Beach Boys got from the surf (Dennis)-and-car (Gary Usher?) gimmick, they sure paid for it later.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »

I honestly don't understand how anyone can fail to see the creation of the Beach Boys formula as anything other than a collaboration. I really don't get this hardcore desire to make Brian singlehandedly responsible for it. I simply don't. I just chalk it up to lazy hero worship and lazy "rock" journalism.

Brian didn't tell Mike to sing in a nasal voice and sound like some punk kid, did he?

Did he decide to write about surfing ?(and it's absolutely silly to claim that the subject matter had nothing to do with the BBs early success. And it demonstrates and ignorance toward pop music history in general)

Did he force Carl to become a Chuck Berry obsessive and to want to bring that element to their music?

Did he decide to put in the doo wop style bass vocal from Mike?

I think the answer is no to at least 3 if not all of those questions.

This just means the creation of the Beach Boys formula was a collaboration! And magical collaborations are a wonderful thing. Why not embrace it??

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:01:06 PM by Erik H » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2009, 01:02:55 PM »

Thank you kindly!

It will come in handy! Grin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »

"On a separate issue, whatever kick-start the Beach Boys got from the surf (Dennis)-and-car (Gary Usher?) gimmick, they sure paid for it later."

Ok, speaking of subjectivity!!!!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx