gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681199 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 06:23:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Petition  (Read 18391 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2012, 09:06:07 AM »

3) I'm afraid WIBNTLA becomes the next "Lazy Lizzie", "Little Red Book", or "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", i.e. songs hyped up by the superfans that heard them and then make you go meh.

Good point, but I do believe there's a key difference here. That is, most fans have already heard the song itself through the Adam/Evie version and have a pretty good handle on what it sounds like. Considering that Adam himself has stated that the cover is virtually a faithful one, save for a few small points, it isn't too hard to mentally fill in the blanks and imagine what Dennis's lead vocal would sound like, circa 1971 -- a vocal that more than one person has stated is *easily* the best Dennis ever did. Couple that with the fact that we've got Brian and Carl doing harmonies for it, during an era that most I'm sure would like to hear from Brian, it ends up being just one more thing to mentally imagine (Note: we've also had pretty good descriptions of the individual, respective vocal parts from Brian, Carl and Mike).

As for that song itself? I love it. Lyrically, it has the sentiment and imagery that one would expect from a Dennis song. I love the structure of the melody as well. I'm also interested to hear how far we'll get to hear the track go on (i.e. we've been told that the unedited band track goes on for nearly 7 minutes, with Charles Lloyd continuing on after that). Though, my uneducated guess would be that it would probably be close to the structured 3:25 version that is Adam's.

So, is it possible it won't live up to the hype? Of course. But, for me, it doesn't have to be the greatest, most stupendous, most super-duper Dennis/BB's song ever. Just the solid, prime-era Dennis and band performance and tune that I *know* it will be from what I've *heard* so far, and from what I've come to expect from that time in the band's musical history. IMHO, this was Dennis during his absolute peak as a performer, and arguably as a composer too, so I'm definitely in.

PS - Personally speaking again, I didn't go "meh" after hearing Soulful Old Man Sunshine. In fact, just the opposite. Of course, others mileage may vary. Smiley
SBonilla
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »

3) I'm afraid WIBNTLA becomes the next "Lazy Lizzie", "Little Red Book", or "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", i.e. songs hyped up by the superfans that heard them and then make you go meh.
That won't happen with this one.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »

You won't, if you have a mortal soul. I don't, and it still knocked me on my ass.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »

This song can not live up to the insane amount of hype behind it coupled with how long it's been. No song could, really. I'm sure it'll be good or great, but man.

And come on - I don't think Mike is a voting member of BRI or know why or how he would be. I don't even know who would be a part of that sans two people. The politics that go on with this band kind of annoy me, but I guess it's necessary, sadly.

As for assuming it was Mike, are there any other instances of Mike, in a fit of jealousy, somehow blocking the release of a Dennis track? I don't think so. I doubt Mike is still especially jealous of his cousin who died 30 years ago.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »

The voting members of BRI are as follows:

Michael Edward Love
Alan Charles Jardine
Brian Douglas Wilson
the estate of Carl Dean Wilson.

The identity of who vetoed the track for inclusion on TWOTS is known to a select few.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »

Michael Edward Love
Alan Charles Jardine
Brian Douglas Wilson

The identity of who vetoed the track for inclusion on TWOTS is known to a select few.

I'm just going to assume it was Mike as i can't think of any sane reason why Al, Brian or Carl's estate would object to its inclusion, whereas Mike... well, Dennis did shag his daughter...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »

Michael Edward Love
Alan Charles Jardine
Brian Douglas Wilson

This is a little odd - Al is a voting member of BRI, and when the track came up for selection on The Warmth of The Sun, wouldn't he have had to either accept or reject it? Al claimed only weeks ago to a forum member that he didn't even know what "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" was.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »

Welp, I stand corrected. What EcoHanger just said is true, though - interesting.

Edit: To play devil's advocate, a lengthy, obscure non-Brian unreleased track would have been an odd inclusion on a greatest hits album. On the other hand, this song probably should have been released ages upon ages ago.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:01:06 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2012, 11:00:51 AM »

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if Brian was the BRI member who vetoed WIBNTLA and I wouldn't assume that his intentions with his veto were malicious. Could be he had other plans for it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »

I'm afraid WIBNTLA becomes the next "Lazy Lizzie", "Little Red Book", or "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", i.e. songs hyped up by the superfans that heard them and then make you go meh.

I've been on four different message boards since 1997. Not once have I ever seen "Lazy Lizzy" hyped. I like the song; some say it's a little perverted, it sounds possibly unfinished, but I've always liked it. Whether it should be released or not is another story. I like "Little Red Book" too, but have never seen it hyped, with exception to those who love the Wild Honey album and thought it was a Wild Honey (or Smile/Smiley) outtake. It's an outtake from the Friends album, I like it, and it'd make a nice little bonus track. "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" lived up to the hype from day one! I love it in all of it's splced together glory, and I'm very glad it's been released!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:23:44 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if Brian was the BRI member who vetoed WIBNTLA and I wouldn't assume that his intentions with his veto were malicious. Could be he had other plans for it.

Just so long as those other plans don't constitute Brian re-recording it so we get his elderly barking instead of Dennis's in-his-prime croon!

Incidentally, why isn't 'the estate of Dennis Wilson' a voting member??
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13:46 AM »

Oh, and where the hell can i hear Little Red Book??
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »

Just so long as those other plans don't constitute Brian re-recording it so we get his elderly barking instead of Dennis's in-his-prime croon!

Dennis' estate sold his vote back to BRI for a reduction in his debts.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »

I wouldn't mind hearing a remade version as long as they release the original version too - there would be room for both on the marketplace. Maybe it's just me, but knowing that something like "Pacific Coast Highway" can be made by The Beach Boys in 2012 gives me faith that they would do a good job with it.

(ps: I really like Lazy Lizzie)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:19:08 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »

ve been on four different message boards since 1997. Not once have I ever seen "Lazy Lizzy" hyped.

Not on the board, but in the David Leaf book. Leaf basically shits himself talking about how much he liked it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »

So, there are four votes for BRI. And, the voting has to be unanimous for something to get passed? One dissenting vote can shoot something down?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2012, 11:32:36 AM »

So, there are four votes for BRI. And, the voting has to be unanimous for something to get passed? One dissenting vote can shoot something down?

Not invariably. The so-called 'Love license' was passed on a 3-1 majority back in 1998. However, in the realm of archive musical releases, it seems anyone can exercise a veto (e.g. Carl & Brian on the 1993 box over "SOMS" & "LHRW" restectively. Alan also blocked the inclusion of "Loop").

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »

However, in the realm of archive musical releases, it seems anyone can exercise a veto (e.g. Carl & Brian on the 1993 box over "SOMS" & "LHRW" restectively. Alan also blocked the inclusion of "Loop").

So my question is this: I recall it being stated back in, oh I don't know, 2003, 2004, thereabouts, that "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" was cleared for release on the DVD-A version of the Surf's Up album that never came out. That to me would indicate that at least for that release, the track DID pass through the BRI gauntlet and got the thumbs-up. Correct?

Assuming yes, then I wonder what was different about the Warmth of the Sun compilation. If the track had already been OK'd once before, I doubt that it would be vetoed later on aesthetic grounds, or due to jealousy, pride, etc. My first guess would be royalties. Someone wanted more $ from royalties by including one of their songs, plain and simple. Keep in mind this is all wild, irresponsible speculation here. Please do NOT quote me. TBH, I wouldn't put it past any of those voting members to do something lame-brained.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »

The Beach Boys do something lame-brained?  Never!  Wink

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »

However, in the realm of archive musical releases, it seems anyone can exercise a veto (e.g. Carl & Brian on the 1993 box over "SOMS" & "LHRW" restectively. Alan also blocked the inclusion of "Loop").

So my question is this: I recall it being stated back in, oh I don't know, 2003, 2004, thereabouts, that "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" was cleared for release on the DVD-A version of the Surf's Up album that never came out. That to me would indicate that at least for that release, the track DID pass through the BRI gauntlet and got the thumbs-up. Correct?

Assuming yes, then I wonder what was different about the Warmth of the Sun compilation. If the track had already been OK'd once before, I doubt that it would be vetoed later on aesthetic grounds, or due to jealousy, pride, etc. My first guess would be royalties. Someone wanted more $ from royalties by including one of their songs, plain and simple. Keep in mind this is all wild, irresponsible speculation here. Please do NOT quote me. TBH, I wouldn't put it past any of those voting members to do something lame-brained.

Again, consider the difference between a lengthy, obscure non-Brian unreleased song as a bonus track for the album it was recorded for and a lengthy, obscure non-Brian unreleased track on a greatest hits collection aside the likes of "Surfin' USA" or "Kokomo."

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »

Yeah, it obviously would have been a nice "bonus" track on the "Sunflower/Surf's Up" two-fer.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2012, 01:11:08 PM »

On a somewhat related note, and I think I may have asked this question before on one of the old boards, but I honestly can't remember the answer...

Do you know, Andrew, if the "Surf's Up" DVD-A ever made it to the actual test pressing stage (or even beyond)? I know that the official line at the time of its non-release was that the format had died, or was dying, and thus, it wasn't going to come out. I've just never heard for sure (or again, can't remember) if it ever made it anywhere past the master assembly stage?

The thought of a warehouse with a bunch of DVD-As in it (and everyone's favorite unreleased song) is pretty intoxicating to say the least.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »

That's interesting about the nuts and bolts of the voting.  I'd heard this and that, but never knew (and never cared to investigate) the actual details of it.

As for the difference between our "Live Again" and the original, I recall there being four:
1.  We excised an entire guitar solo, which consisted of three notes over and over again (it wasn't that interesting and otherwise the song would've been too long to include).
2.  The tag goes on a bit longer.  IIRC it had Brian, Carl, and Mike doing counterpoint vocals, and maybe one other person.  On the record it's very 1971, kind of a Latin feel, the synth solo that we do at the end is a flute on the record.  Really cool bit.
3.  There's a short counterpoint vocal that I do on one of the verses that isn't on the record.  Which is an eerie thing, we were at a show in Chicago and out of nowhere I suddenly felt compelled to do it, in Dennis' 1971 voice no less.  I'm not at all a new age airy-fairy guy, but it really felt like I was getting a psychic direction to put something on that was supposed to be there but never got added.  So I did.  Laugh if you will, but it was kind of an eerie feeling, and I remember when I did it, the whole band was kind of surprised, and then they all kind of nodded, because it felt very natural and right.
4.  It's in a different key.  I think it's a whole step down from where we did it, but I can't be sure, it's been so long since we did it.

I think the entire track is 4 minutes and change.

As I said earlier, I think it's one of the coolest Dennis songs we have yet to hear and that may, hopefully, be released.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:19:04 PM by adamghost » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2012, 01:23:16 PM »

I think the entire track is 4 minutes and change.

Adam, just to clarify, are you saying that the finished, "releasable" Beach Boys master for the song is around 4 minutes and change? That is, I was basing  my "7+ minutes" comment on something Alan Boyd once stated regarding the original, unedited session tape.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »

4.  It's in a different key.  I think it's a whole step down from where we did it, but I can't be sure, it's been so long since we did it.

Thanks for that. I figured the BB version must be in a different key (I think you did it in Eb, if I recall correctly) because I can't imagine Dennis being able to sing the melody in Eb (even at the height of his vocal abilities). I am curious to hear what key the original is in. Playing around with it, it seems G or Ab would have been a better key for him.

Can't wait to hear it.

*prays*

PS I really like the additional  vocals on the chorus. It really does feel right.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:30:26 PM by pixletwin » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx