gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680885 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 09:35:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was "15 Big Ones" poorly mixed? Would a better mix signficantly improve it?  (Read 22199 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »

oh gawd! shame on me!  Shocked

I should be banned here for a month at least!

RickB
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2014, 06:47:18 PM »

oh gawd! shame on me!  Shocked

I should be banned here for a month at least!

RickB

Grin
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2014, 12:13:20 AM »

Why can't some people enjoy Had To Phone Ya as is. I don't get on board with this belief that it must be remixed or heard without the vocals to be understood.  On 15 Big Ones , it doesn't draw attention to itself in a groovy way- in a sort of low-key Friends-y vibe way, and I like that. I admire that instinct to bury gorgeous details in the mix to serve the song, an instinct Brian and Phil Spector had.

Couldn't agree more! This is exactly what makes many of Brian's productions stand out. They're intricate but never are they pompous.

One more thought on 15BO in general... As I said before I love the album as is, definitely one of my most-played records by the BB. Still I can relate to why some may find it weird. I'm about the same age now as Brian and Dennis were when this was recorded and still, when I hear their voices on this record I find that kind of hard to believe. Their voices were really shot by this point, to such an extent that it's kind of bizarre. I don't like to judge anyone's lifestyles, it's just something that I've grown aware of while I got older.

That said, I still absolutely love the rawness in their vocal performances on 15BO and Love You. It's unique for a major pop/rock group to even consider releasing stuff like that and I totally appreciate it. Would be 100% impossible today, by the way. Just try and imagine Love You given the Joe Thomas treatment.
well.. sunflower was THE last BBs album we hear brian and dennis' voices before they got fuc.ked up. But yeah one reply I noticed saying love you is just as much BBs as all summer long °°NO°° . Love you was intended to be 'brian loves you' I dare ANYONE to disprove that/ its been said before and bares repeating- love you was/is a brian wilson solo album with the BBs minor comtributions and name on it due to their contractual obligation.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2014, 12:25:43 AM »

But a win-win all the same!!!

Just think about how gloriously creepy Rollarskating Child is thanks to Mike getting to sing it!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2014, 01:52:24 AM »

Getting back to topic: Some tracks would be significantly improved by remixing (has no one else heard the gritty alternate mixes I mentioned?) but others are way, way past redemption. In my perhaps jaundiced idea of a perfect world, 15 Big Ones would have been 2 Big Ones: "It's O.K" b/w "Just Once In My Life". :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2014, 06:01:03 AM »

Damn you Smiley Smile board! Since this thread appeared, iv'e been listening too much to 15 BO!  LOL

For those interested, iv'e made a mix on my blog called 15 REAL ONES featuring the original artists on the tracks (and outtakes). Enjoy!

http://gabmixorama.blogspot.ca/2014/06/7-15-real-ones.html
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2014, 07:36:54 AM »

Boy, that Little Willie John single is great (Talk To Me). Can anybody help with two questions?

1 - Did Spector have anything to do with it?

2 - Was the song (or the subsequently recorded version a couple years later) really a favorite of young Brian and Marilyn?
(I'm thinking of the notice in the Spring version of Good Time)

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2014, 07:52:22 AM »

I like the fact that people noted Dennis' drumming is all over this album.

One thing I love about the '76-'77 era was the Wilson Brothers cutting their own tracks.  They had awesome feel and were massive underplayers.  They may not have been the best technical musicians but man, they knew how to make a track.  It's like a thick slice of pound cake.  Dennis' 2/4 on the '70s Brother recordings is wondrous.
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »

p.s.: The Jean DeShon track is confirmed as a PS work, I reckon.  I was wondering if anything earlier...  (Talk To Me)
Nicko1234
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »

Damn you Smiley Smile board! Since this thread appeared, iv'e been listening too much to 15 BO!  LOL

For those interested, iv'e made a mix on my blog called 15 REAL ONES featuring the original artists on the tracks (and outtakes). Enjoy!

http://gabmixorama.blogspot.ca/2014/06/7-15-real-ones.html

Curse you sir. By putting these classics together you have just reenforced once again how crappy the Beach Boys versions are.  Smiley
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2014, 02:44:30 PM »

I like the fact that people noted Dennis' drumming is all over this album.

One thing I love about the '76-'77 era was the Wilson Brothers cutting their own tracks.  They had awesome feel and were massive underplayers.  They may not have been the best technical musicians but man, they knew how to make a track.  It's like a thick slice of pound cake.  Dennis' 2/4 on the '70s Brother recordings is wondrous.

I totally agree with you.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »

interestingly also, they must have been fans of Freddy Cannon....

Palisades Park and the 'tallahassie lassie' part in 'Talk to Me'...

RickB
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »

Boy, that Little Willie John single is great (Talk To Me). Can anybody help with two questions?

1 - Did Spector have anything to do with it?
http://www.discogs.com/Jean-Du-Shon-Talk-To-Me-Talk-To-Me-Tired-Of-Trying/release/1664995
"Supervised by".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx