gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681008 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 09:55:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 395415 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »

I'd have to first have a problem with batshit crazy rock stars bragging..... Which I do not.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »

Wink
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2014, 01:45:57 PM »

From page 3:

I remember when Smoking Gun posted those, the one I saw at the specific link posted above is not 25 years old. They posted three contract riders from different eras, if you notice it still says at that website, quote: "Here's a Beach Boys bonanza, culled from three different tour riders."  There are older pages posted, but if the specific one linked to were 25 years old, some of the references would not exist as Carl was still alive and BRI would have been in charge of these things.

That specific page is more recent, check some of the terminology used.

Still questions on this? Click on this link, which was posted on page 2, read through it, and someone/anyone post the reason or reasons why this *specific* document is or isn't from the touring arrangements after Carl passed away, and wasn't drawn up when the situations were in place which are still in place today regarding tours and booking. I know the answer, but would be happy to be proven wrong and will admit as much if anyone can do so based on what is in this document.  Smiley

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/beach-boys-rider

The document in the link includes a mish mash of pages (not even in order) from various Beach Boys related riders from various years and tours.  It is not one cohesive document, not even all from the Beach Boys. The last page references "The Beach Boys Family and Friends."  The first two pages are from a rider pre-dating Carl's passing, pages 3-5 I am unsure of, page 6 is from Jardine's F&F group after Carl's death.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »

Pinder, we get that ML is your hero. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »

Still questions on this? Click on this link, which was posted on page 2, read through it, and someone/anyone post the reason or reasons why this *specific* document is or isn't from the touring arrangements after Carl passed away, and wasn't drawn up when the situations were in place which are still in place today regarding tours and booking. I know the answer, but would be happy to be proven wrong and will admit as much if anyone can do so based on what is in this document.  Smiley

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Nevada/Incline-Village/meleco-llc/46143382.aspx
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »

I'd have to first have a problem with batshit crazy rock stars bragging..... Which I do not.

ML aside, I can handle some batshit crazy rock star bragging... to a point. When it passes a certain point, it gets to be mighty, mighty hard to keep the eyes from rolling. I'd think that most everyone would have a tipping point, including you. I think Billy Corgan and Mike Love are in some sort of competition for self-congratulatory pats on the back.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:54:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »

Agreed, but at least Mike has co-written some earth shattering hits and classics.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »

Since Mike has publicly laid out that he nor the group had input as to the album beyond his suggestion of a title, who or what is it we are wondering about again?

We're wondering why Mike took credit for Endless Summer being his concept album even though you just alluded to the fact all he contributed was a title.

For instance, on his Beach Boys page in 2002, this was actually posted. I sh*t you not...

You can capsulize most pop music acts by reciting how many hits they've had and how many millions of albums they've sold. But these conventional measurements fall short when you're assessing the impact of The Beach Boys. To be sure, this band has birthed a torrent of hit singles and sold albums by the tens of millions. But its greater significance lies in the fact that it changed the musical landscape so profoundly that every pop act since has been in its debt.

Happily for us all, The Beach Boys continue to create and perform with the same bold imagination and style that marked their explosive debut 40 years ago.

Even more than the Beatles, The Beach Boys found through their music the key to unfading youth-and they made copies for everyone. To these guys, the beach isn't just a place where the surf comes to play - it's where life is renewed and made whole again.

Captained by the ageless Mike Love - who dubs himself "the hardest working man in Surf City" - The Beach Boys played an astoundingly busy schedule of concerts in 2002, ranging from their triumphal February appearance at the Winter Olympics to a gala New Year's bash at the posh Honolulu Hilton. Between engagements, they've been writing, arranging, rehearsing and preparing for a new album due out in 2003 based on their international success story. In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.

Had this remarkable band been less committed to its art and its fans, it could have retired from the field with honor at dozens of points along the way, confident that it had made a lasting contribution to world culture. It could have rested on the success of the epoch-shifting Pet Sounds masterpiece in 1966... or after recording Love's co-written "Kokomo" in 1988 and seeing it become its best selling single ever... or after being inducted that same year into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame... or after watching its worldwide album sales blow past l00 million... or after winning a Lifetime Achievement Grammy® in 2001. Instead, the gallant crew sails on.

Few, if any, acts can match The Beach Boys' concert presence, spirit and performance. They were center-stage at Live Aid, various Farm Aids, the Statue of Liberty's 100th Anniversary Salute, the Super Bowl and the White House. On one day alone - July 4, 1985 - they played to nearly 2 million enthusiasts at shows in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.

Love's role as the band's frontman sometimes overshadows his stature as one of rock's foremost songwriters. "Surfin'," The Beach Boys' first hit came from his pen. With his cousin, Brian Wilson, Love wrote the classics "Fun, Fun, Fun," "I Get Around," "Help Me Rhonda," "California Girls" and "Good Vibrations." Years later, he showed he still had the lyrical chops by co-writing the irresistible and chart-topping "Kokomo."

On The Beach Boys' near horizon are another national/world tour, a new album from Capitol Records complete with full promotional muscle and continued charity activities through Mike Love's Love Foundation, which supports national environmental and educational initiatives.

In addition to founding Beach Boy Mike Love (lead vocals), the newest incarnation of the band also includes 40-year Beach Boy-vet Bruce Johnston (vocals/keyboards), Mike Kowalski (drums), Adrian Baker (guitar/vocals), Chris Farmer (bass/vocals), Tim Bonhomme (keyboards/vocals), John Cowsill of The Cowsills (keyboards/vocals/percussion) and Scott Totten (guitar/vocals).

That is real. And as you see, that was a Mike Love approved statement of how Endless Summer is his concept album. Besides the utter ridiculousness of this bio in the first place, it's just wrong that he would take credit for something that even you, his biggest apologist, admits isn't true.

Wasn't that a Capitol Records biography web page? Edit: Yeah, I think it was according to Earcandy's website, whose commentary you posted, and he credit's the source which diverts to Capitol Records these day.

I don't see any mention of ES on Mike's webpage's "About" tab.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:00:30 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2014, 02:06:58 PM »

From page 3:

I remember when Smoking Gun posted those, the one I saw at the specific link posted above is not 25 years old. They posted three contract riders from different eras, if you notice it still says at that website, quote: "Here's a Beach Boys bonanza, culled from three different tour riders."  There are older pages posted, but if the specific one linked to were 25 years old, some of the references would not exist as Carl was still alive and BRI would have been in charge of these things.

The document in the link includes a mish mash of pages (not even in order) from various Beach Boys related riders from various years and tours.  It is not one cohesive document, not even all from the Beach Boys. The last page references "The Beach Boys Family and Friends."  The first two pages are from a rider pre-dating Carl's passing, pages 3-5 I am unsure of, page 6 is from Jardine's F&F group after Carl's death.

Pages 1 and 2 do *not* predate Carl's passing, and if you think they do, it's simply not correct. And that can be proven. But what are you basing this on to say they come from the years before Carl passed away?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »

Agreed, but at least Mike has co-written some earth shattering hits and classics.

Nobody (or maybe some, but not most) is disputing that. I'm certainly not. Doesn't mean that the concept album terminology isn't a stretch of a claim.

As unreleased backgrounds pointed out, Mike would have as much (or as little) as a claim to call Pet Sounds his concept album, right? Because if the title was a play on words to indicate the little, intricate sounds that Brian heard... well, Pet Sounds is just full of those, from start to finish, right? Just as the name Endless Summer is indicative of that album's content, which is full of songs that are imbued with summertime vibes. Same difference... right?  LOL

I actually believe that there are approximately 3 or 4 people on this board who, if Mike Love claimed that Pet Sounds was in part his concept album due to his coining the title, would actually find a way to defend that statement, or passively defend such a statement by not posting anything in opposition.

It's *okay* to be a Mike fan and to still admit that some of the things he says/claims border on absurd.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »

From page 3:

Pages 1 and 2 do *not* predate Carl's passing, and if you think they do, it's simply not correct. And that can be proven. But what are you basing this on to say they come from the years before Carl passed away?

So someone in the post Carl touring Beach Boys camp SMOKES!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO! ;o

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »

Nobody (or maybe some, but not most) is disputing that. I'm certainly not. Doesn't mean that the concept album terminology isn't a stretch of a claim.

As unreleased backgrounds pointed out, Mike would have as much (or as little) as a claim to call Pet Sounds his concept album, right? Because if the title was a play on words to indicate the little, intricate sounds that Brian heard... well, Pet Sounds is just full of those, from start to finish, right? Just as the name Endless Summer is indicative of that album's content, which is full of songs that are imbued with summertime vibes. Same difference... right?  LOL

I actually believe that there are approximately 3 or 4 people on this board who, if Mike Love claimed that Pet Sounds was in part his concept album due to his coining the title, would actually find a way to defend that statement, or passively defend such a statement by not posting anything in opposition.

It's *okay* to be a Mike fan and to still admit that some of the things he says/claims border on absurd.

I hear you.... And I actually do look at Pet Sounds as a concept album.... Or at least a narrative of sorts. And it works beautifully ..... Best album ever to put on when heartbroken!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2014, 02:14:21 PM »

I hear you.... And I actually do look at Pet Sounds as a concept album.... Or at least a narrative of sorts. And it works beautifully ..... Best album ever to put on when heartbroken!

No arguments here on that!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »

I just caught this thread. I was busy listening to the Classics Selected By Brian Wilson album. I was digging "Sail On Sailor", the song that Brian introduced in concert by saying, "I don't like this song".

I don't remember where I read the interview, but I thought I once read Mike Love saying that he met with Capitol Records to plan the Endless Summer album, even picking out the tracks, and of course titling the album. However, I'm not optimistic that too many people would remember that interview.  

Hey, Scott Totten, are you out there? It appears that this board doesn't really care what you have to think or say about Mike Love. One thread can be locked, but you can be sure another one will immediately follow with the same intention(s). That's what this board has become....sadly.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:24:14 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2014, 02:18:18 PM »

From page 3:

It looks otherwise EXACTLY like a tour rider I had seen from approximately 1992.  However, fair enough, I can admit I am mistaken on that. The fact remains the linked pages are not one document and at least some of the pages are from a BBF&F rider

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2014, 02:19:34 PM »

From page 3:

So someone in the post Carl touring Beach Boys camp SMOKES!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO! ;o

There is no mention of smoking or tobacco at all on pages 1 or 2, beyond the fact that that's not even the issue at hand, it isn't even on the documents in question...pages 1 and 2.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »

I posted earlier about attending the show at the Ryman in Nashville March 22 (on a Sunday night).  I just looked at tickets direct from the ryman.  $150.00 to $60.00.  The  most expensive tickets listed for the entire upcoming first half of the Ryman season for 2015.   Twice what the best seats cost for WILLIE NELSON at THE Ryman!!!    This should come with The entire reunion lineup for this price ...........somebody understand what is going on here?  I normally don't bitch about shelling out some bucks for a favorite act, especially one of my favorite acts.    but this??

You should get in touch with Nicko1234, he seems to know where to score the good prices on these tickets.  LOL

Care to tell me where I`ve ever stated that Mike and Bruce never play expensive shows?

And also, sorry to break it to you, but there are many tickets right in front of the stage for that show available for $65. The most expensive tickets include soundchecks and Club Kokomo experiences.

Sorry if that fails to fit your agenda.  Wink

Not my agenda if a fan posts that the tickets he wanted to buy for the Ryman were the most expensive listed for the entire first half season of concerts at the Ryman. I'm not traveling to Nashville to see the show.

I just thought since you've been posting so much info about how affordable the tickets are, maybe you have another channel to help a fellow fan get these deals which you've posted here and in other threads whenever ticket prices come up in a topic. If you can't help score a better deal or aren't in the ticket-brokering business, what's the agenda in trying to inform someone who just shopped for these seats personally of how these prices came to be, short of explaining the differences in price?

What does it matter to you if a fan posts that the tickets are expensive, and what does mentioning VIP packages or Club Kokomo have to do with a fan trying to buy tickets and finding them the most expensive on the upcoming schedule of shows?

Sorry, I obviously didn`t explain myself clearly enough in my previous post.

You asked me to find how to buy cheaper tickets and I did. By looking at a little known website called Ticketmaster.

Donald asked why some tickets are $150 and the reason is...BECAUSE THEY ARE VIP TICKETS!!! Seriously.  LOL  Club Kokomo packages or Soundcheck VIP tickets are the only ones vaguely near this price. You couldn`t make this stuff up...

Regular tickets are $55-80 (plus booking fees). Not cheap but not exactly unheard of for theater shows. And if he doesn`t want to pay $55 for floor seats in front of the stage then that is up to him but they are not exactly exorbitant.

And his comments that The Beach Boys tickets are the most expensive of the season are simply not true so no point in even debating that one.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »

From page 3:

It looks otherwise EXACTLY like a tour rider I had seen from approximately 1992.  However, fair enough, I can admit I am mistaken on that. The fact remains the linked pages are not one document and at least some of the pages are from a BBF&F rider

The fact is that pages 1 and 2 are from a Beach Boys tour rider that was written after Carl's passing. Those pages couldn't look exactly like a 1992 document for the same reasons there are no documents from "Brother Records" prior to 1967, and no documents from "50 Big Ones" production company before the C50 tour. The companies didn't exist prior to those years/events.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »

OK, did you notice I said "otherwise" and admitted my error?  Calm down...

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »

I posted earlier about attending the show at the Ryman in Nashville March 22 (on a Sunday night).  I just looked at tickets direct from the ryman.  $150.00 to $60.00.  The  most expensive tickets listed for the entire upcoming first half of the Ryman season for 2015.   Twice what the best seats cost for WILLIE NELSON at THE Ryman!!!    This should come with The entire reunion lineup for this price ...........somebody understand what is going on here?  I normally don't bitch about shelling out some bucks for a favorite act, especially one of my favorite acts.    but this??

You should get in touch with Nicko1234, he seems to know where to score the good prices on these tickets.  LOL

Care to tell me where I`ve ever stated that Mike and Bruce never play expensive shows?

And also, sorry to break it to you, but there are many tickets right in front of the stage for that show available for $65. The most expensive tickets include soundchecks and Club Kokomo experiences.

Sorry if that fails to fit your agenda.  Wink

Not my agenda if a fan posts that the tickets he wanted to buy for the Ryman were the most expensive listed for the entire first half season of concerts at the Ryman. I'm not traveling to Nashville to see the show.

I just thought since you've been posting so much info about how affordable the tickets are, maybe you have another channel to help a fellow fan get these deals which you've posted here and in other threads whenever ticket prices come up in a topic. If you can't help score a better deal or aren't in the ticket-brokering business, what's the agenda in trying to inform someone who just shopped for these seats personally of how these prices came to be, short of explaining the differences in price?

What does it matter to you if a fan posts that the tickets are expensive, and what does mentioning VIP packages or Club Kokomo have to do with a fan trying to buy tickets and finding them the most expensive on the upcoming schedule of shows?

Sorry, I obviously didn`t explain myself clearly enough in my previous post.

You asked me to find how to buy cheaper tickets and I did. By looking at a little known website called Ticketmaster.

Donald asked why some tickets are $150 and the reason is...BECAUSE THEY ARE VIP TICKETS!!! Seriously.  LOL  Club Kokomo packages or Soundcheck VIP tickets are the only ones vaguely near this price. You couldn`t make this stuff up...

Regular tickets are $55-80 (plus booking fees). Not cheap but not exactly unheard of for theater shows. And if he doesn`t want to pay $55 for floor seats in front of the stage then that is up to him but they are not exactly exorbitant.

And his comments that The Beach Boys tickets are the most expensive of the season are simply not true so no point in even debating that one.
OK.  I'll call the venue as Cam suggested earlier.  The ryman site did not make that clear at ALL.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »

No need - just click on "tickets" then hover over the seating map. You'll see that the most expensive regular (i.e. non-VIP experience) seat is $69.50 ($80.55 with taxes and fees). However, the usual suspects were so busy being outraged at this latest example Mike's sheer greed that they couldn't be bothered to do such a simple thing. Really, it's like shooting fish in a barrel with a bazooka, with the fish handing me the shells.
That's about £51, which isn't too unreasonable.

BTW, the pic on the tickets page shows Christian, instead of Jeff. Don't hear anyone bitching about that.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:57:03 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »

From page 3:

The fact is that pages 1 and 2 are from a Beach Boys tour rider that was written after Carl's passing. Those pages couldn't look exactly like a 1992 document for the same reasons there are no documents from "Brother Records" prior to 1967, and no documents from "50 Big Ones" production company before the C50 tour. The companies didn't exist prior to those years/events.

Does anybody know when these riders were posted to Smoking Gun? Seems like a while ago. 5 or 10 years?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2014, 02:58:04 PM »

That thing's got to be 25 years old now.

I can put this to bed right now with a clarification.

There are pages on that Rider that have got to be 25 years old now.

Everyone cool with that? Cool Guy
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

These mykolites are such a pain over a lame nostalgia act like M&B. What kind of reward do you get from being Mike's water carriers?

Do you get pointed at by Mike at a M&B show?, paid with free tickets?, and mentioned in Mike's book?

I don't get why you guys are so negative about Brian Wilson and so high on his fucking slimeball cousin.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »

These mykolites are such a pain over a lame nostalgia act like M&B. What kind of reward do you get from being Mike's water carriers?

Do you get pointed at by Mike at a M&B show?, paid with free tickets?, and mentioned in Mike's book?

I don't get why you guys are so negative about Brian Wilson and so high on his fucking slimeball cousin.

We're all bald.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx