gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680949 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 07:00:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joy to the World  (Read 1678 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:18:04 PM »

After the little bust up on the White board over this one (I'm not a contributor but verrrrrry occasionally read it), I listened to it for the first time in a while, and damn is it beautiful! I love it. Anybody else care to comment? Gorgeous vocals by Brian...and wonderful co-production by Joe Thomas   Wink WinkLOL

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »

Love it! The vocal is in the Top 5 of the Brian solo years; it's tender which is not often found in Brian's later leads. The intro sounds like one song is ending and this song is beginning. I'm not as critical of Joe Thomas's work as some, and I like this track; there a "Surf's Up"-redux feeling to it.

I wish Brian would've sung all of the verses on this song like he did on the hymns on WIRWFC. I like the background syllables, it's neat, but, why did he employ dit-dits? That keeps it from being a classic. Joy to the world indeed!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 03:51:51 AM »

A fantastic performance imho. Interesting arrangement, because it doesn't sound joyful, as one would expect....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:50:17 AM »

I prefer the 3 "bonus" tracks to the rest of the WIRWFC album: The MIU-ness of On Christmas Day, the space to breathe in Joy to the World. Joy to the World sounds like snowflakes falling and landing on the white ground.

I also prefer the TLOS "extra" tracks to the main album. I like the album, but the bonus tracks have a kind of 'BB Love You' feel.

I wonder what that says about Brian's music-making when the pressure isn't on...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx