gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 02:48:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 183519 times)
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »

Semi-related: Maybe this has been addressed, but who is singing lead for the Spoonful if John Sebastian isn't with them?

I don't know enough about The Spoonful, but the current lineup is: Steve Boone   Joe Butler   Jerry Yester

Mike Arturi   Phil Smith

Joe Butler sings most of the leads if I recall correctly

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »

What if Brian threatened to pull Al's tracks from his album? Maybe that explains the rather last minute guest artists. Or perhaps Al felt it could be a threat to not be able to work with Brian in the future. Al was using both Mike and Brian in a game of football, or they were using him, or both.

I have a wild scenario too, if we're going down that road. Maybe it went down something like this:

(Al's phone rings...)

Al: Hello?

Anonymous Caller: You don't know who I am, but I know who you are.

Al: Who is this?

Caller: Al, you know that old wooden crate you use to sing all your parts, your "Lucky Box" that you've brought to the studio since 1965?

Al: Uh...yes?

Caller: Al, you left it at Ocean Way. Now I have it.

Al: Oh sh*t...

Caller: Al, I also have lighter fluid, matches, and a bag of marshmallows.

Caller: You know what the choices are. Unless you want to come join me at my campfire, you'll make the right choice. Kapish?

Al: No, wait, please...

(click)

(Al dials Mike)

Mike: Hello?

Al: Hey Mike, it's Al, look man, I'm sorry, I'm pulling outta Jones Beach, no show, K? Gotta go.

(click)

Mike: No, wait...What? Al? Hello? Al! Oh sh*t...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2014, 04:23:33 PM »

That's exactly what happened! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »

It takes a minimum of three weeks to process a work permit to visit the UK for performing. I'm not sure how long for Ireland. Though I guess with Al's clean prison record, he could have applied just last week or so and not have had to worry about it.

What if Brian threatened to pull Al's tracks from his album? Maybe that explains the rather last minute guest artists. Or perhaps Al felt it could be a threat to not be able to work with Brian in the future. Al was using both Mike and Brian in a game of football, or they were using him, or both.

These guys all use others sometimes I'm sure. But it doesn't mean they always are. Brian and Mike have spent most of the last 16 years NOT playing with Al. I don't think he has much leverage in much of anything.

And the theory that Brian threatened to pull tracks with Al seems silly. What would either have to gain or lose?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »

I'm disappointed and upset given I only bought tickets because I thought Al was gonna be there! Now I'm stuck with tickets for a concert 4 hours away and no Al!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2014, 06:47:12 PM »

Am I dense, or did Al not say he was backing out of this show, but rather he wasn't touring with The Bruce Boys?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »

Am I dense, or did Al not say he was backing out of this show, but rather he wasn't touring with The Bruce Boys?

He said he was performing with Brian in the UK that weekend, so unless he's gonna use the time zones to his advantage....
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »

I thought it was odd that Al never confirmed this show in any way on his Facebook or concert announcements. That just led me to believe that things  with Mike were somewhat tentative. I'd say someone jumped the gun and announced the line up before the negotiations were signed, sealed and delivered. Al may have actually had two offers to consider and for whatever reason decided to go with Brian.

So naturally, it must be Brian's fault.  Roll Eyes
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »

Al needs to pick a side

Maybe he has. That he's playing with Mike & Bruce on July 5th in the US makes it hugely unlikely (but not utterly impossible: these are The Beach Boys, after all) that he'll be going with Brian for the two British Isles shows.
So what's the inside scoops AGD?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:58 PM »

I'm disappointed and upset given I only bought tickets because I thought Al was gonna be there! Now I'm stuck with tickets for a concert 4 hours away and no Al!

Ouch my head hurts!  Feel nothing but sympathy for people like the poster above who bought tickets to the Jones Beach show expecting to see Al Jardine, only to find out now that he won't be appearing.  That just plain flat out sucks!

I'm not going to waste my time pointing any fingers here.  Hopefully in the days and weeks to come those who have invested money in this concert will get the answers they are seeking as to what went down here although I wouldn't be surprised if an explanation is not forthcoming either.  I echo the sentiments of other forum members who just find this whole roller coaster we've been on since the end of the C50 to be a little bit more than ridiculous.  Aggravating is the operative word.  Again sympathies to those who bought tickets based upon someone's screw up. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »

A few queries:

Assume Brian is now paying Al to play and covering his expenses?

Will David Marks still show at Jones Beach? Was he ever contracted? If not, and it was simply a show-up-and-plug-in-for-old-time's-sake, well, who could blame him for not wanting to set foot in that bomb crater?

Al might well have been tempted by the chance to sing some new material to promote Brian's new album than wheel out all the oldies yet again with Mike (other than Goin' To The Beach, and Pisces Brother…).

Maybe Howie's writing the truth of the story as we speculate…

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »

Both shows are festivals. Likely 90 minute GH set.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2014, 11:37:02 PM »

What is wrong with Al?  I'm sorry, but if you allow a promoter to use your name for a show, you should show up for it.

It's not like it's the first time Al has done this. He was announced as a "special guest" for Brian's European tour in, I believe, 2008. His name was even on the ticket I bought for the show in Amsterdam. But he didn't show up. After that, Al promised on his website that everyone who would send in a ticket stub would get a free copy of his solo cd once it was released. Never got that either.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:55:46 AM by shelter » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2014, 12:38:44 AM »

That is pretty shoddy and Al must have known that this concert was being billed as featuring him weeks ago. If he had any doubts that he would be appearing then you would have thought he could have informed the ticket buying public somewhat sooner...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2014, 03:32:05 AM »

By the same token, if someone was promoting the gig without a firm legally binding assurance that Al was to appear, that's where the fault lies. Al might not have left Red Barn for several months and might not have been aware of the publicity. (That's just me speculating btw…)

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2014, 03:50:48 AM »

By the same token, if someone was promoting the gig without a firm legally binding assurance that Al was to appear, that's where the fault lies. Al might not have left Red Barn for several months and might not have been aware of the publicity. (That's just me speculating btw…)

I agree that it should have all been signed and sealed before it was announced.

But I can`t believe at all that Al could have been oblivious to the fact that it had been announced that he was playing a show with Mike.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2014, 04:48:23 AM »

GEE!!  Sure makes sense to me. As much as it seems a crime now to even suggest that Mike/ HIS management) is/was lying, how else does this play out? 

WHY in the world should it be Al's responsibility to deny he's playing somewhere that he hasn't agreed to. Just because this happens to be Mike's BBs?!?

If Steve and the Strumpets start advertising that Al Jardine of the BBs is playing with them,does Al have to deny it? If every/any band in the world announces the same thing, will Al be forced to spend all his time making announcements that "NO, I'm not playing with so & so" ? It's ludicrous. 

The fault here is obviously with Mike Love/ the Jones Beach promoters.

NOT AL JARDINE

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 21, 2014, 05:06:41 AM »

But I can`t believe at all that Al could have been oblivious to the fact that it had been announced that he was playing a show with Mike.

Like I've said already, I'm sure there were behind the scenes discussions that were going on the whole time. And now the joke that Al made at the AC show makes that much more sense. He'd been very positive about Mike since the Ella Awards up until that moment so something clearly went afoot between the two of them between this Jones Beach PR that Mike's team put out and prior to the AC show.

Is it unprofessional of Al to not show up for a show he was billed as attending and had ostensibly agreed to do? Yes, a bit.
Do we know the circumstances and agreements (or lack thereof) that lead to his name being put on the bill (while David's is still absent) and subsequent PR? No, we don't.

Until we know a little more information, why don't we all just keep calm and listen to Pet Sounds, eh? And for those that bought tickets on condition of Al being there, call Jones Beach/Live Nation and absolutely demand a refund. I'm sure they'll be accommodating and maybe you'll find out some information from the promoters standpoint in doing so...

FWIW, ticket sales are still very poor for the show: http://concerts.livenation.com/event/1D004C96A49ED655.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2014, 05:11:23 AM »

What is wrong with Al?  I'm sorry, but if you allow a promoter to use your name for a show, you should show up for it.

It's not like it's the first time Al has done this. He was announced as a "special guest" for Brian's European tour in, I believe, 2008. His name was even on the ticket I bought for the show in Amsterdam. But he didn't show up.
Yap.... Angry
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 21, 2014, 06:42:49 AM »

I was going to drive up from Charlotte, NC for the show. Luckily, I was waiting to buy tickets until it was closer to the date of the show. If anyone bought tickets because Al and David were going to be there (David still might, I have no idea) I'd definitely call up Live Nation and demand a refund like ToneBender631 posted.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 21, 2014, 06:49:48 AM »

Like I've said already, I'm sure there were behind the scenes discussions that were going on the whole time. And now the joke that Al made at the AC show makes that much more sense. He'd been very positive about Mike since the Ella Awards up until that moment so something clearly went afoot between the two of them between this Jones Beach PR that Mike's team put out and prior to the AC show.

Is it unprofessional of Al to not show up for a show he was billed as attending and had ostensibly agreed to do? Yes, a bit.
Do we know the circumstances and agreements (or lack thereof) that lead to his name being put on the bill (while David's is still absent) and subsequent PR? No, we don't.

Until we know a little more information, why don't we all just keep calm and listen to Pet Sounds, eh? And for those that bought tickets on condition of Al being there, call Jones Beach/Live Nation and absolutely demand a refund. I'm sure they'll be accommodating and maybe you'll find out some information from the promoters standpoint in doing so...

FWIW, ticket sales are still very poor for the show: http://concerts.livenation.com/event/1D004C96A49ED655.

Has anyone actually looked at that chart? They're out of their mind! Does Mike really think that many people are gonna be into this Club Kokomo bullshit for $250 a hit? Because it clearly is NOT working. Unless you wanna sit in the last two levels, you're paying over $100 for this show and without Alan and David, I would not say it is worth it. I paid $70 for 5th row Mike & Bruce last year, and I Don't think I'd pay a whole lot over that. The Lovin' Spoonful will be a waste of time, Felix Cavaliere is indeed a massive talent and is probably partially responsible for amplified face value tickets, but Mike is the reason behind the VIP's. That's outrageous.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 21, 2014, 08:24:14 AM »

At this point I'd take Stamos!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 21, 2014, 09:09:54 AM »

It's not like it's the first time Al has done this. He was announced as a "special guest" for Brian's European tour in, I believe, 2008. His name was even on the ticket I bought for the show in Amsterdam. But he didn't show up. After that, Al promised on his website that everyone who would send in a ticket stub would get a free copy of his solo cd once it was released. Never got that either.

I thought Brian's people kicked Al off the tour, not that Al left the tour. Or it was an equal type of thing where both decided that Al needed to leave the tour before it got to Europe. It was never made clear what the dispute was, whether it was over money or what.  In any case, yes, it does show that Al has had past problems playing with Brian, so this isn't the first time he had disagreements with fellow Beach Boys in regards to appearing with them.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 21, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »

What happened that caused Jeff Foskett to leave the employ of Brian and Al to pull out of a show two weeks before its scheduled date. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 21, 2014, 09:30:27 AM »

I thought Brian's people kicked Al off the tour, not that Al left the tour. Or it was an equal type of thing where both decided that Al needed to leave the tour before it got to Europe. It was never made clear what the dispute was, whether it was over money or what.  In any case, yes, it does show that Al has had past problems playing with Brian, so this isn't the first time he had disagreements with fellow Beach Boys in regards to appearing with them.
As far as I know that wasn't the first "touring problem" between the two, either?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx