gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681042 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 04:39:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 183409 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »

No Concorde anymore.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2014, 01:12:28 PM »

What more needs to trickle out, apart from maybe a clarification if Al had signed an agreement to do the gig? If Al had signed anything resembling a written agreement to do the show, and he pulled out after his involvement was sold to consumers buying tickets to the event, he'd be at the least in breach of contract and could rightfully be on the hook financially for that broken agreement. If the companies promoting this show went ahead and advertised Al on the bill, and Al had not signed anything agreeing to it, that's on those promoters...and if fans bought tickets to see Al at the show, they're on the hook to any fans who might feel ripped off.

Only in Beach Boys land, right?

All true. While it’s not the easiest to believe that the venue (and Mike in interviews) would promote Al’s appearance without any written confirmation, it’s just as hard (if not harder) to believe Al signed on to do the show and is simply bailing and breaching a contract.

Ultimately, as I mentioned elsewhere, and this doesn’t reflect that well on Al, I don’t think a ton of people will ask for a refund. The potential for another press-fueled “controversy” is greater than the actual number of ticket buyers that I would guess would ask for a refund. Not even all of the people who bought tickets because of Al’s appearance would ask for a refund. At least some of them still like Mike and his Beach Boys band I would presume. The rest of the fans don’t care either way, as the ticket buyers have proven since 1998.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »

Al only got to do three or four songs during his Jeff Beck tour with Brian, and only that many during the reunion shows, so I'm sure he would get the same amount for his single Beach Boys gig with Mike, had it come to pass.  As for his own solo career, it seems to be all over the place and poorly publicized. He's doing a free show in a tiny town in Idaho on June 28, with Dean Torrence. He's doing "Aquapalooza," a show that's only open to boaters in the Chicago area. He didn't really do much advance public notice for his Atlantic City show. He really needs to get his act together in terms of publicity for his solo shows and planning tours.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2014, 01:19:07 PM »

Mike and Al probably get along better than fans know. Al supported Mike at the Ella Awards. Mike was grateful and Alan probably feels he doesn't owe Mike anything. This was a major PR screw-up though.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »

Al only got to do three or four songs during his Jeff Beck tour with Brian, and only that many during the reunion shows, so I'm sure he would get the same amount for his single Beach Boys gig with Mike, had it come to pass.  As for his own solo career, it seems to be all over the place and poorly publicized. He's doing a free show in a tiny town in Idaho on June 28, with Dean Torrence. He's doing "Aquapalooza," a show that's only open to boaters in the Chicago area. He didn't really do much advance public notice for his Atlantic City show. He really needs to get his act together in terms of publicity for his solo shows and planning tours.

While Al has never had a ton of leads in Brian’s shows either, the Beck tour sets he played were shorter than a typical Mike/Bruce show. In other words, would Mike have Al singing anything that isn’t already in the setlist? We’d get Rhonda, Sloop, maybe something else.

At the few full-length shows Al did with Brian in July of last year, he took a few more leads, and they were doing at least a few songs that weren’t otherwise in their setlist.

Al has been underutilized at pretty much any show or tour he has been a part of other than his own, and maybe even at some of his own gigs when they hand a bunch of leads to Matt, Dave, Dean Torrence, Chris Farmer, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »

Right, but at the same time consider all of the legal and operational issues that get hashed out through contracts, contract riders, travel plans, hotel bookings and arrangements, right down to things as basic as having Al's musical equipment like his guitar(s), amps, and whatever else he uses on stage to perform being shipped to the venue for a gig.

If it were a simple case of Al saying "I'll do the gig" and hopping on a plane, that would be nice. But the amount of planning, agreements, having lawyers and the like go over any agreements or demands and even how a show will be advertised and sold makes this whole July 5th debacle seem even more bizarre.

And again, if Al did in fact sign papers and agree to play Jones Beach, he's on the hook, simple as that.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »

While Al has never had a ton of leads in Brian’s shows either, the Beck tour sets he played were shorter than a typical Mike/Bruce show. In other words, would Mike have Al singing anything that isn’t already in the setlist? We’d get Rhonda, Sloop, maybe something else.
Looking at the typical M&B setlist, Al would probably get "Rhonda", "Sloop", "Then I Kissed Her", "California Dreamin'" and maybe "Wouldn't It Be Nice" but probably not because he's stopped singing it since C50.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2014, 01:25:25 PM »

Mike and Al probably get along better than fans know. Al supported Mike at the Ella Awards. Mike was grateful and Alan probably feels he doesn't owe Mike anything. This was a major PR screw-up though.

I still wonder if Al maybe stopped and looked at even the near future in all of this. In other words, playing one gig in his own band is all well and good, and there shouldn’t be a “reward” for Al in the long run, but maybe he came to realize Mike is nowhere near either reuniting the full band, or inviting Al into the band full time, or anything else other than “allowing” Al to be in his own band for one night. Maybe there was a financial issue (which, if true, would even in that case be difficult to judge in terms of “fault”).

Some things aren’t matching up though. Al not playing with Mike and playing with Brian (seemingly instead, whether that’s how it went down timeline-wise) seems to indicate a bit more estrangement. But Mike talked about talking to Al about doing something “creatively.” That seems to be something for which you’d have to have a pretty decent relationship. They could even be more at odds doing a show or tour together, because you can still keep it somewhat separate (e.g. circa 1977 Beach Boys). But actually writing together or recording together is something Mike and Al didn’t even often do in the later years of their time together in the 90’s. 

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »

LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: June 20, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »

Right, but at the same time consider all of the legal and operational issues that get hashed out through contracts, contract riders, travel plans, hotel bookings and arrangements, right down to things as basic as having Al's musical equipment like his guitar(s), amps, and whatever else he uses on stage to perform being shipped to the venue for a gig.

If it were a simple case of Al saying "I'll do the gig" and hopping on a plane, that would be nice. But the amount of planning, agreements, having lawyers and the like go over any agreements or demands and even how a show will be advertised and sold makes this whole July 5th debacle seem even more bizarre.

And again, if Al did in fact sign papers and agree to play Jones Beach, he's on the hook, simple as that.

We definitely need more information to know. I will say that, for better or worse, Al will and has done gigs where he seemingly just shows up and plays whatever guitar is there, and with rented equipment. He usually does at least bring his own guitar, but I saw a benefit show he did in 2005 where he appeared to playing with another band’s gear and guitar. 

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 20, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »

Last time I saw Al, everyone in the band played via a rented backline (including Al).

Regarding the Jones Beach Show, I don't see how someone could crap on Al if he never signed up for the show in the first place.  Granted none of us know what the deal really is at this time but if Mike listed him as in when he wasn't confirmed, don't be pissed at Al.

I think it's funny that Mike stated he wanted to be "creative" with Al and he's said the same about Brian.  I really think these guys make things a lot harder than they should.  My guess is that they all have each others cell numbers.  Call.  Talk.  Pick a date.  Write music.  Be happy together.

I get the impression that Mike thinks that he will never have enough money so the rolling jukebox must go "on and on and on" (see what I did there?  LOL).  

If it's $ he wants (because I don't believe for a second he's touring because he gives one sh*t about the band's history / legacy or "brand") he would make a hell of a lot more cha-ching by touring as a believable form of the Beach Boys and that means at least Al, better with Al and David and ultimately, with Brian.

The band didn't slow down after Dennis died but really took a huge hit when Carl died.  One more gone and it's over for good.  No one will believe there is a "Beach Boys" when they lose one more no matter who it is.

It's a shame the band reverted back to the same unexplainable stupidity that it thrived in prior to the 50th Anniversary Tour.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:36:52 PM by Not Dick Dale » Logged

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 20, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »

Al's name was on the show poster, advertised directly to people via Ticketmaster e-mail, and the gig was promoted in "Rolling Stone" magazine. If Al had a time to speak up, it was then, which was weeks ago. There's really no excuse for Al's behavior in this. He should have said something before more people bought tickets to it. Instead, he remained completely silent for weeks. The Beach Boys should allow refunds to any ticket buyers who bought based on Al being there. And Al should apologize for not speaking up much, much sooner.

what does he care? he knows everyone will just blame Mike.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »

Last time I saw Al, everyone in the band played via a rented backline (including Al).

Fair enough on the rented amps and such. But that was only one minor issue - the main one is still the fact of billing, advertising, promoting, and selling tickets for a show or shows featuring a "special guest" performer who will at least boost ticket sales and fan excitement by some considerable amount beyond the usual fans who would see the show, if there isn't a solid confirmation (re: a signed agreement) that the guest performer will do the show.

I've already said it, but worth repeating if the folks organizing and promoting the show went ahead and billed Al on the advertising and press releases before he was locked in to the gig, that's sloppy business at best, false advertising at worst. And if Al broke a contract he already signed to do the show, it's all on him.

The key word is "if", naturally. But someone really f***ed this up, either on Al's side or the BB's.

Anyone else waiting for some word from Mike's Facebook or Twitter accounts?  Cheesy

Nicko1234
« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »

If it's $ he wants (because I don't believe for a second he's touring because he gives one sh*t about the band's history / legacy or "brand") he would make a hell of a lot more cha-ching by touring as a believable form of the Beach Boys and that means at least Al, better with Al and David and ultimately, with Brian.

No, he wouldn`t. Not unless Brian was included and willing to tour 100 dates a year which obviously wouldn`t happen.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »

Just received a Live Nation e-mail:

The Beach Boys
with Felix Cavaliere's Rascals and
The Lovin' Spoonful

Saturday, July 5
Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

...More to come? Where's David?

Just a reminder from the original post...

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »

Right on, Al! Given a choice, I know which show I'd see.

We're...for our team, yeah
You'll never lose it, to us you're still number one!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »

Just thought of more fodder for the guessing game...

That email from Live Nation was sent roughly the first week in May. Today, almost exactly two weeks before the July 5 concert, we get word that Al will be in England and not Jones Beach.

What if Al did sign a contract of some kind, with terms and conditions and the usual demands/requests and stuff for the show which led to the promotional things like the Live Nation ad, but something happened in the past 6 weeks that could have broken the agreement and triggered an escape clause or something similar?

All contracts - well, most anyway - have an escape clause where one party asks for A-B-C, the other party agrees to A-B-C, but if something changes that agreement the contract can become null and void, and can be terminated.

Just thinking out loud.

I seriously doubt Al or Mike/Beach Boys Inc. having 50 years of showbiz under their belts would walk out cold on a legal agreement nor would they advertise a show and sell tickets to fans before locking in the details.

Or would they?  Grin  We'll soon see, I guess.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »

As of the time I'm posting this, the publicity info for the show has not changed.  The current show info uses the original poster, listing Al Jardine, with this info:

"The Beach Boys will embark on an extensive tour celebrating the 50th anniversary of their hit song “Fun, Fun, Fun”. The only original member of the group that will be touring with the band is Mike Love, though longtime keyboardist/singer Bruce Johnston will be joining them on the road. Additionally, the band will team up with original members Al Jardine and David Mark for a special gig at Jones Beach, Long Island, NY on July 5th with special guests Felix Cavaliere's Rascals & The Lovin' Spoonful. The Beach Boys will make their way to over 50 locations the United States and Europe over the course of the year. The tour will also feature singer/guitarist Jeffrey Foskett, who will be replacing Love’s son Christian in the band. Foskett was a touring member of The Beach Boys in the ’80s and has steadily worked with Brian Wilson since his comeback in the ’90s. The band plans to announce more American and international dates later this year. The surviving classic members of The Beach Boys—Love, Jardine, Marks, Wilson, Johnston and Foskett—have not performed together since the band’s 2012 50th anniversary tour, which featured stops at Bonnaroo and The Hollywood Bowl. The group also released That’s Why God Made The Radio, their first album of original material in 20 years. Jardine, Marks and Foskett all toured with Wilson last year and even surprised fans with a complete performance of Pet Sounds at New York’s Beacon Theatre in October."

http://jonesbeach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=430:the-beach-boys-july-5-2014&catid=56:concerts-2014&Itemid=100054
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »

As of the time I'm posting this, the publicity info for the show has not changed.  The current show info uses the original poster, listing Al Jardine, with this info:

"The Beach Boys will embark on an extensive tour celebrating the 50th anniversary of their hit song “Fun, Fun, Fun”. The only original member of the group that will be touring with the band is Mike Love, though longtime keyboardist/singer Bruce Johnston will be joining them on the road. Additionally, the band will team up with original members Al Jardine and David Mark for a special gig at Jones Beach, Long Island, NY on July 5th with special guests Felix Cavaliere's Rascals & The Lovin' Spoonful. The Beach Boys will make their way to over 50 locations the United States and Europe over the course of the year. The tour will also feature singer/guitarist Jeffrey Foskett, who will be replacing Love’s son Christian in the band. Foskett was a touring member of The Beach Boys in the ’80s and has steadily worked with Brian Wilson since his comeback in the ’90s. The band plans to announce more American and international dates later this year. The surviving classic members of The Beach Boys—Love, Jardine, Marks, Wilson, Johnston and Foskett—have not performed together since the band’s 2012 50th anniversary tour, which featured stops at Bonnaroo and The Hollywood Bowl. The group also released That’s Why God Made The Radio, their first album of original material in 20 years. Jardine, Marks and Foskett all toured with Wilson last year and even surprised fans with a complete performance of Pet Sounds at New York’s Beacon Theatre in October."

http://jonesbeach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=430:the-beach-boys-july-5-2014&catid=56:concerts-2014&Itemid=100054

Wow. That is false advertising, no matter how you slice it.

Anyone taking over/under odds on how long that advertisement will last? I'll put a cool two Bens on 4 hours, max.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2014, 03:40:07 PM »

It's amazing how much slack Mike is getting out of this simply because Alan backed out of his show, and was suddenly added to Brian's show. It seems like all of this motion was in Alan's court or maybe even Brian's. Brian was losing band members left and right, now he's got the father-son duo AND he gets to up the original member ante for the band AND gets to screw Mike out of being one step (and maybe the most crucial step) closer to being The Beach Boys that the public wants (just short of giving himself back over that is.)
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »

Right on, Al! Given a choice, I know which show I'd see.

We're...for our team, yeah
You'll never lose it, to us you're still number one!

We're all given a choice .... These guys make their money no matter who we decide to go support....

Actually, I'd really kind of love to see Al step into the Jeff role from here on out.... Brian being shadowed etc by Al would feel a lot more natural, and Al can sound so much like Brian without rubbing folks the wrong way like Jeff seemed to.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »

It takes a minimum of three weeks to process a work permit to visit the UK for performing. I'm not sure how long for Ireland. Though I guess with Al's clean prison record, he could have applied just last week or so and not have had to worry about it.

What if Brian threatened to pull Al's tracks from his album? Maybe that explains the rather last minute guest artists. Or perhaps Al felt it could be a threat to not be able to work with Brian in the future. Al was using both Mike and Brian in a game of football, or they were using him, or both.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2014, 03:53:26 PM »

Semi-related: Maybe this has been addressed, but who is singing lead for the Spoonful if John Sebastian isn't with them?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »

Semi-related: Maybe this has been addressed, but who is singing lead for the Spoonful if John Sebastian isn't with them?

I don't know enough about The Spoonful, but the current lineup is: Steve Boone   Joe Butler   Jerry Yester

Mike Arturi   Phil Smith
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx