gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 04:55:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 183521 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2014, 01:52:08 AM »

Man no one to sing Carl's part on Kokomo! Guess they're gonna have to cut that from the set Wink

… unless Jeff Foskett also puts in an appearance    Shocked

I nominate this for "Most Hilarious Foreshadowing of the Month".

I cheated – I took my last holiday in June 2017 and read about it on this board while I was there!  

You should see the SMiLE 50th anniversary box! I got the $45,750 version which comes with a woodie signed by all the Beach Boys current line-up, including Mike, Bruce, Al, Jeff, Stamos, Christian, Wendy and Carnie, Robin Pecknold, Dean, Scott, as well as Darian, Scotty and Shane (who were here in 2014 recently from 2017, visiting Brian for advice on vocal arrangements for SMiLE II  – you might have seen a picture)…  Unfortunately I couldn't bring the box (because it's download-only and therefore ethereal) or the woodie (which has been converted to run on fusion energy since the fossil fuels ran out) back to 2014.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:51:40 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2014, 02:19:25 AM »

I really hate that beach boys logo. the one on the GV box was far better...
had the beach boys made a good dancing album in late 70's glitzy style then that style would be fine I guess, but it's hardly hinted at on 15BO and doesn't really represent the 'sound' of the group except  Here Comes The Night (1979)

It's like they want a definitive typeface like the Beatles have, only this is The Beach Boys and they somehow make everything they do laughable. It's not even from an era when these guys made any hits...yet it now represents their image on CDs, concert posters, t-shirts, etc. Oy vey.

I think that's a pretty groovy typeface. I prefer it to the Beatles one, actually.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2014, 02:33:06 AM »

I really hate that beach boys logo. the one on the GV box was far better...
had the beach boys made a good dancing album in late 70's glitzy style then that style would be fine I guess, but it's hardly hinted at on 15BO and doesn't really represent the 'sound' of the group except  Here Comes The Night (1979)

It's like they want a definitive typeface like the Beatles have, only this is The Beach Boys and they somehow make everything they do laughable. It's not even from an era when these guys made any hits...yet it now represents their image on CDs, concert posters, t-shirts, etc. Oy vey.

I think that's a pretty groovy typeface. I prefer it to the Beatles one, actually.

I don't mind the 15BO logo these days… I've grown accustomed.

But if given a choice would prefer this style of typeface treatment:

or, even better, this:

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2014, 02:36:04 AM »

This one's my favorite

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2014, 02:53:31 AM »

What's the grit rating for this CD cover - P12?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2014, 03:26:10 AM »

Are you decorating?

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2014, 03:48:26 AM »

I like this one - class and style. The other looks like it should say, "The Flintstones!"
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2014, 06:43:29 AM »

I'm actually encouraged by the fact that Al and David are floating between Brian in the studio and Mike on tour. Sounds like the "camps" aren't as entrenched in Beach Boys land as they are in Beach Boys Fandom.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2014, 07:11:12 AM »

Comment re the BB coca cola logo;  didn't they start using that around the time they were hanging with Chicago who have a very similar looking logo?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2014, 07:45:55 AM »

Comment re the BB coca cola logo;  didn't they start using that around the time they were hanging with Chicago who have a very similar looking logo?
You're not too far off. If I can recall correctly, I think I started seeing it around 1971 or 1972.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »

You're not too far off. If I can recall correctly, I think I started seeing it around 1971 or 1972.

Both logos by Dean Torrence (of Jan & Dean for those who don't know). So that could be a reason for the similarity.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »

Sort of.  Kicked off about 4 years ago but not sure where I'm up to, or if anything's been achieved.

Once when buying sandpaper, the shop guy said what grit rating - I says "Wha?" and he showed me many types, one that looked just like the above CD cover background.

I'm a bit like this, but (obviously) 1000 times less amusing than these chaps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YmHtISRcz0

Back on subtopic, the Ten Years Logo / typeface is a personal favourite - Caribou certainly had a sharp art department/contractor.  It must taken ages to write all those lyrics out in that style, and not one ink smudge in sight.

Back on topic - hopefully, once things settle, they'll consider an Australian run (yeah, right!).  I hope those who go have a great time - as per Dr Lenny's sentiments on page 5, it's a bit of a treat, so take advantage of it if you can.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »

Sort of.  Kicked off about 4 years ago but not sure where I'm up to, or if anything's been achieved.

Once when buying sandpaper, the shop guy said what grit rating - I says "Wha?" and he showed me many types, one that looked just like the above CD cover background.

I'm a bit like this, but (obviously) 1000 times less amusing than these chaps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YmHtISRcz0

Back on subtopic, the Ten Years Logo / typeface is a personal favourite - Caribou certainly had a sharp art department/contractor.  It must taken ages to write all those lyrics out in that style, and not one ink smudge in sight.

Interesting to note in the album design section of my CD booklet (gritless, white version) that both the lettering of The Beach Boys logo and that of album title were created by two different people.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »

I've always really liked the logo.  It's distinctive and memorable, it's also fun to doodle on notepads.  But it does admittedly remind me more of the 15 Big Ones era Beach Boys rather than the band in their heyday.  I don't think it would have looked appropriate on their early albums.  But then again, the Rolling Stones lips and tongue logo would look out of place on their early ABKCO albums as well and I think that image is iconic.

I like this one they used for the 1993 box set too.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:13:06 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2014, 03:16:25 AM »

Getting a bit back on topic, despite adding Al and David, w/ two other legacy bands on the bill and with the upper section closed, they've barely sold 20% of the tickets for the show thus far. I've also heard commercials for the gig on local radio...Clearly, if they want to graduate up to the bigger venues again they need the big guy on board!  Smiley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2014, 06:50:33 AM »

Getting a bit back on topic, despite adding Al and David, w/ two other legacy bands on the bill and with the upper section closed, they've barely sold 20% of the tickets for the show thus far. I've also heard commercials for the gig on local radio...Clearly, if they want to graduate up to the bigger venues again they need the big guy on board!  Smiley

Does the venue or promoter actually release sales numbers? I’m curious how we know they’ve only sold 20%. In any event, if this is in fact the case, it presents a couple of theories (very much just theories): Did Mike add Al and David to the show because sales were sagging? I’m not even sure of the timeline in terms of when tickets went on sale, so I don’t know if this is an actual possibility. Also, if publicizing (to some degree; I don’t know if Al or Mike have even announced this on their facebook, etc.) Al and Dave being added has not helped ticket sales, I do wonder if that would reinforce the idea to Mike that there’s little or no economic benefit to adding those guys to the band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2014, 08:08:17 AM »

Getting a bit back on topic, despite adding Al and David, w/ two other legacy bands on the bill and with the upper section closed, they've barely sold 20% of the tickets for the show thus far. I've also heard commercials for the gig on local radio...Clearly, if they want to graduate up to the bigger venues again they need the big guy on board!  Smiley

Does the venue or promoter actually release sales numbers? I’m curious how we know they’ve only sold 20%. In any event, if this is in fact the case, it presents a couple of theories (very much just theories): Did Mike add Al and David to the show because sales were sagging? I’m not even sure of the timeline in terms of when tickets went on sale, so I don’t know if this is an actual possibility. Also, if publicizing (to some degree; I don’t know if Al or Mike have even announced this on their facebook, etc.) Al and Dave being added has not helped ticket sales, I do wonder if that would reinforce the idea to Mike that there’s little or no economic benefit to adding those guys to the band.

If you go on the Live Nation website, you can "pick your own seat" and get a sense of how undersold it really is thus far.  As far as the advertising, my first email about the show happening had Al listed, but not David. The radio ad I heard didn't mention either of them.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 08:47:55 AM by ToneBender631 » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2014, 08:50:55 AM »

One of my hesitations with the Jones Beach show is that there are two other bands on the bill, but the show has a normal (7:30) start time and shows there typically end no later than 10:30/11. I realize we are a bit spoiled here, but Jones Beach is kind of a trek to make from NYC if the BBs set is not a full set.

ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2014, 07:13:12 AM »

One of my hesitations with the Jones Beach show is that there are two other bands on the bill, but the show has a normal (7:30) start time and shows there typically end no later than 10:30/11. I realize we are a bit spoiled here, but Jones Beach is kind of a trek to make from NYC if the BBs set is not a full set.

My guess for set times:

7:30 - 8:00
8:15 - 9:00
9:15 - 11:00
Nicko1234
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2014, 07:17:24 AM »

How many more chances are you going to get to see 4 of The Beach Boys on the same stage?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2014, 07:42:56 AM »

I've always really liked the logo.  It's distinctive and memorable, it's also fun to doodle on notepads.  But it does admittedly remind me more of the 15 Big Ones era Beach Boys rather than the band in their heyday.  I don't think it would have looked appropriate on their early albums.  But then again, the Rolling Stones lips and tongue logo would look out of place on their early ABKCO albums as well and I think that image is iconic.

I like this one they used for the 1993 box set too.

one of the better ones they did.

I wouldn't mind 15BO logo on a slick sounding album like LA Light where it fit into the 'disco/adult contemporary style' they were going for. 15BO is just not slick enough to have such a logo.

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2014, 12:07:10 PM »

Both logos by Dean Torrence (of Jan & Dean for those who don't know). So that could be a reason for the similarity.

Dean Torrence didn't design the Chicago logo. John Berg did.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »

My guess for set times:

7:30 - 8:00
8:15 - 9:00
9:15 - 11:00
Sure, I'd be pretty happy with those times! Based on past multi-group shows I've seen at Jones Beach, I was guessing more like 7:30-8:15, 8:35-9:25, 9:40-10:50 or so.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »

How many more chances are you going to get to see 4 of The Beach Boys on the same stage?
It's a good question and more than fair. I love these guys and if the show were in Manhattan it would be a no-brainer. As it is, Jones Beach is about a 2-hour trek for me each way (subway > two LIRR trains > spotty local bus service), thus the overall time commitment is a bit more to juggle. Believe me, would love to be there and will if I can.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »

Dean Torrence didn't design the Chicago logo. John Berg did.

Well, Dean came up with the idea of the logo being like the Coca-Cola logo. So....yeah, he started it. And therefore, my point still stands that there's a reason for the similarities of The Beach Boys' and Chicago's logos.

And here's a link for info about Chicago's logo.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx