gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681047 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 08:53:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 572990 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: August 30, 2012, 07:56:12 PM »

My philosophy is simple: I may die tomorrow. I may be dead in an hour, for all I know. If the music's there (I never demand it from someone), I'm gonna listen to it and will buy it when it's released. It has absolutely nothing to do with instant gratification.

Wait all you want. That's totally cool with me. But don't criticize me for listening a couple weeks early and having my own experience of it. Accusing me of not appreciating it on the same level you do isn't fair at all.

I appreciate the subjective nature of the human experience.  There is no accusation here, merely an attempt to analyze human behavior and understand it.

However, what you describe has everything to do with instant gratification.  Apparently, you fear death and crave some sort of gratification of a desire just in case you are not long for this world.  There may be nothing wrong with the need for instant gratification, I'm not trying to put some sort of value in that.

Let me ask a question to anybody:  why are we excited to hear the music?  Why are people hoping for something to show up online as soon as possible?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:57:44 PM by aeijtzsche » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 30, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »

Let me ask a question to anybody:  why are we excited to hear the music?  Why are people hoping for something to show up online as soon as possible?

We want to be able to have the things that make us happy as quickly as we possibly can.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 30, 2012, 08:25:17 PM »

We want to be able to have the things that make us happy as quickly as we possibly can.

Is it really happiness that we're seeking?  Or something else?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 30, 2012, 08:51:28 PM »

Really, it's that simple (for me, anyway). Read into that as much as you'd like.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 30, 2012, 08:55:08 PM »

Really, it's that simple (for me, anyway). Read into that as much as you'd like.

So are you unhappy now?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1680 on: August 30, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »

Beach Boys music, at its best, if life-affirming. More than any other I've found, it's also a 'place' (as CW once pointed out). The idea of previously unheard tracks seeing the light of day (on the forthcoming box) after languishing in the vaults for so long is kind of like a religious experience for me.

I know it's a cliche, but to those of you who are looking for that 'happiness' as quickly as possible, remember that the journey is just as important as the destination.

Personally, I don't really download music (legally or illegally), and don't really like listening to music on a computer, so I'll be buying these releases as they come out. And I'm enjoying every minute of the experience leading up to it.

Remember all, especially you young ones: This is likely the last time we will see releases of this magnitude, and you won't be able to go back in time and re-live it. So recognize and appreciate it for what it is and don't blow it !
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:58:20 PM by DonnyL » Logged

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 30, 2012, 09:05:30 PM »

So are you unhappy now?

No, because I've heard some of the remasters.  Smiley

But really, if I didn't get to hear any of them until September 25th, that wouldn't make me unhappy - it's not like my happiness depends on only one thing. It's just that certain things bring me joy in life, and my music is of great importance to me, so I'm going to seek that out as soon as I can because it interests me.

over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 30, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »

Changed to October 9  Sad

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 30, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »

That sucks!!! Two additional weeks! Argh!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: August 30, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »

So are you unhappy now?

But really, if I didn't get to hear any of them until September 25th, that wouldn't make me unhappy - it's not like my happiness depends on only one thing. It's just that certain things bring me joy in life, and my music is of great importance to me, so I'm going to seek that out as soon as I can because it interests me.

What if you never got to hear them at all?  Would that make you an unhappy person? 

And you've gone on with two other very interesting states:  Joy and Interest.  These make more sense to me than happiness.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: August 30, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »

So are you unhappy now?

What if you never got to hear them at all?  Would that make you an unhappy person? 

And you've gone on with two other very interesting states:  Joy and Interest.  These make more sense to me than happiness.

I wouldn't say I would be an "unhappy person". It would be a bummer, but my life wouldn't come to a standstill. But like I said, my happiness does not depend on a sole set of remasters, or a sole set of anything. Hearing them for the first time certainly brought me happiness, but if that never happened, I'd move on eventually....

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 30, 2012, 09:45:27 PM »

I'm hoping that they're just fixing things up a little and correcting some of the problems that have been pointed out. I didn't preorder any of the releases, I'll probably wait to see what's on the box before I do. Honestly, I'll be listening to these stereo mixes for years to come, so I really want them to be as good as they can be.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 30, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »

I'm hoping that they're just fixing things up a little and correcting some of the problems that have been pointed out. I didn't preorder any of the releases, I'll probably wait to see what's on the box before I do. Honestly, I'll be listening to these stereo mixes for years to come, so I really want them to be as good as they can be.

True, but still, like LetHimRun said............ "ARGH!"

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: August 30, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »

Yeah, no matter how rational I try to be about it, no matter how much I actually know that it's for the best, it still drives me crazy that I'm not listening to stereo Smiley Smile right now.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: August 30, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »

Yeah, no matter how rational I try to be about it, no matter how much I actually know that it's for the best, it still drives me crazy that I'm not listening to stereo Smiley Smile right now.

ME TOO Gosh Durn it!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: August 30, 2012, 11:02:01 PM »

ME TOO Gosh Durn it!

For those worried that they might get hit by a bus before they hear these releases, that's just terrible.

I've cancelled my order for the reissues and the GHs sets and the Wilson Songwriter DVD… financial situation brought me to my senses.  Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: August 30, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »

Phil's gonna have Phield day!

PhilCohen
« Reply #1692 on: August 31, 2012, 01:48:31 AM »

Changed to October 9  Sad

Phil's gonna have Phield day!

Nah. My curiosity was satisfied by the three Japanese discs that I purchased("Today", "Summer Days...and Summer Nights", & "Smiley Smile"). The variable mix & mastering quality on "Today" & "Summer Days...and Summer Nights" caused my enthusiasm for the proposed 2012 U.S.A. Beach Boys archival projects to cool down substantially. However, if the U.S.A. releases don't happen, I may buy the Japanese mono/stereo disc of "Party". The other 8 Japanese discs are, to me, non-essential. As for whatever albums don't get reissued, I've got the 1990 & 2001 "twofer" discs(personally I prefer the 1990 editions), and I've got the Capitol CD  reissues of the 1970's albums. I've got "Wild Honey", "Friends" & "20/20" in my collection(on original 1960's vinyl & two CD editions) whether or not Capitol reissues them.

There's going to be loads of archival projects and box sets by other 1960's & 1970's "Classic Rock" artists this fall. Even without some of the proposed Beach Boys product, there's no shortage of CD's to buy. I'm doing fine. I'm through being anguished or upset over how the mixing, mastering or marketing of the 2012 Beach Boys CD product is being handled(or mishandled)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:50:07 AM by PhilCohen » Logged
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:04 AM »

Release date is still 24 September on Amazon.co.uk.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: August 31, 2012, 02:20:14 AM »

Aye but amazon UK is bloody slow to act on new information sometimes; they've got at least one album title wrong, two CDs have still got different prices to the rest (and to each other)… I've been a geeky pedant and alerted them to these facts a few days ago and they've done nowt.  Expect the release dates to be corrected on Sept 24, just as they corrected them to Sept 24 on Aug 24, the previous release date they gave. Pernickety? I?

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: August 31, 2012, 03:00:19 AM »

Aye but amazon UK is bloody slow to act on new information sometimes; they've got at least one album title wrong, two CDs have still got different prices to the rest (and to each other)… I've been a geeky pedant and alerted them to these facts a few days ago and they've done nowt.  Expect the release dates to be corrected on Sept 24, just as they corrected them to Sept 24 on Aug 24, the previous release date they gave. Pernickety? I?

Grin

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: August 31, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »

For those worried that they might get hit by a bus before they hear these releases, that's just terrible.

I've cancelled my order for the reissues and the GHs sets and the Wilson Songwriter DVD… financial situation brought me to my senses.  Sad

For real John?

Aren't there one or two remaster titles you REALLY want to hear?

-- David
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:32:17 AM by heysaboda » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: August 31, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »

Sorry if this was mentioned, but with Sunflower and Surf's Up being stereo only, are they going to have any bonus tracks at all?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: August 31, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »

Should clarify that it's not a paranoid sort of "WHY WON'T YOU PEOPLE UPLOAD THESE? I COULD BE DEAD SOON!" sort of thing and more of a very simple "Live while you can" sort of thing. If I wake up and want a Coke and have access to said Coke, I have the Coke - I don't wait several weeks until some suit who's concerned with marketing tells me it's okay to drink the Coke. That's all an album release date really is, when you get right down to it.

I'm not an impatient person, it's really nothing to do with instant gratification (although aeijtzsche made a fair case that it is, but that's over-analyzing the situation a bit, to me), and if I have to wait, I wait patiently and focus my attention on other things in the meantime.

So yeah, that's all there is to it - it's a simple thing. If I want a Coke, I have teh God damn Coke. I have a good time at it and, on occasion, it coincides with a profound f***ing experience that I'll never forget even if it's some kind of digital copy of a Coke before I've paid for the Coke (and I will pay for the God damn Coke because I really like the Coke). I never demand the Coke, but I'll accept the Coke if it's offered and I'll appreciate it veddy much (sincerely). A digital Coke isn't a compromised Coke unless you want it to be, and sometimes drinking it without that fancy red label enhances the personal experience rather than diminishing it. If I want twenty Cokes right this second, I step back and say, "Hrm. Maybe that's not a good idear." If I want a swimming pool filled with Coke right now, I enter the lottery. God bless 'merica and all that bullsh*t.

I should note that I rarely ever drink Coke. Just Saiyan.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:02:33 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: August 31, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »

Sorry if this was mentioned, but with Sunflower and Surf's Up being stereo only, are they going to have any bonus tracks at all?
I hope so..because they can put the "landlocked" stuff on "sunflower" as well as the dennis wilson single,and I'm sure there's stuff they can place on "surfs up" as well...that would be cool..
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx