gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 08:20:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Burt Bacharach, whatcha think of him?  (Read 4371 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:53:59 PM »

i remember about 6 monthes back, i was asking about him and was adviced to get the boxed set, at which i did and now i cant get enough of him!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »

What can you say! He's a melodic GENIUS, as well as an incredibly talented arranger. I haven't really heard much of his work with other artists. I've got a few of his solo albums--Reach Out, Make it Easy On Yourself, and Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. I'd really like to get all of the Dionne Warwick LPs he produced. Does anyone have any suggestions for which of those are the best ones to get first (I plan on getting all of them eventually)?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 05:17:01 PM »

i dont have any of those, but his work on the Look of Love boxed set is alone leaving me wanting more...

say, didnt he have a new album out last year? anyone have it?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:32:27 PM »

I can't get enough of Bacharach's collab with Elvis Costello, "Painted By Memory".  A modern classic.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 04:53:58 AM »

I can't get enough of Bacharach's collab with Elvis Costello, "Painted By Memory".  A modern classic.

This is so right on!!!  I dont know much of Bacharach's stuff short of some of the Warwick hits and I realize I need to dive in a bit further.  His work with Costello on Painted By Memory is breathtaking.  I wish they would do some more together.  Both men are brilliant songwriters. 

Speaking of Elvis Costello, has anyone heard his latest album "My Flame Burns Blue"?  It is a live album with a jazz band.  It is great!  Elvis never ceases to amaze me with the many musical styles he is brave enough to tackle and he always does a fantastic job. 

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 01:06:41 AM »

I'd really like to get all of the Dionne Warwick LPs he produced. Does anyone have any suggestions for which of those are the best ones to get first (I plan on getting all of them eventually)?

Most of the albums were released as twofers on CD. I would just get them all. Smiley These are the titles:

Presenting Dionne Warwick/Anyone Who Had a Heart (Sequel, 1995)
Make Way For/The Sensitive Sound Of Dionne Warwick (Sequel, 1995)
Here I Am/Here Where There Is Love (Sequel, 1995)
Promises, Promises/I'll Never Fall In Love Again  (Rhino Handmade, 2004)
The Windows Of The World / Valley Of The Dolls (Rhino Handmade, 2004)
Very Dionne (Rhino Handmade, 2004)

My favorite of these albums is "Make Way For Dionne Warwick":
 1. A House Is Not a Home (Bacharach, David)
 2. People (Merrill, Styne)
 3. (They Long to Be) Close to You (Bacharach, David)
 4. The Last One to Be Loved (Bacharach, David)
 5. Land of Make Believe (Bacharach, David)
 6. Reach Out for Me (Bacharach, David)
 7. (You'll Never Get to Heaven) If You Break My Heart (Bacharach, David )
 8. Walk on By (Bacharach, David)
 9. Wishin' and Hopin' (Bacharach, David)
 10. I Smiled Yesterday (Bacharach, David)
 11. Get Rid of Him (Greenfield, Miller)
 12. Make the Night a Little Longer (Goffin, King)

There are more than a dozen of absolutely brilliant songs that are written, arranged and conducted by Burt Bacharach, but not included on the Burt Bacharach Look Of Love box set, e.g.

The Beginning Of Loneliness, Another Night (from The Windows Of The World)
 Let Me Be Lonely, Where Would I Go (from The Valley Of The Dolls)
 Who Is Gonna Love Me, Whoever You Are I Love You (from Promises Promises)
 The Wine Is Young, Knowing When To Leave, Let Me Go To Him (from I'll Never Fall in Love Again)
 The Green Grass Starts To Grow, Walk The Way You Talk (from Very Dionne)
 Who Gets The Guy (single, included as a bonus track on the Rhino Handmade Very Dionne)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 06:56:50 PM »

He was taught music by some very important people.

His music is suave, definitely some of the best popular music that has been made.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 08:12:57 PM »

I love thee use of flugelhorns on Bacharach tunes: "Wishin' And Hopin'", "I'll Never Fall In Love Again", "Close To You", "God Give Me Strength", etc.
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »

Old thread, I know, but I didn't see the use in a new one.  Conservation and all that.

Anyway, I've been listening to the "Definitive Burt Bacharach Songbook" and really enjoying it.  I can't believe the moods he can create with his tunes.  I used to skip a lot of the songs where the melody wouldn't strike me instantly but it unexpectedly grew on me; songs like "There Goes the Forgotten Man" and "A House Is Not a Home."  Other songs hit me right away, like I was immediately into "Tower of Strength" and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

Does anyone find Bacharach's songs on the "craftsman" side or the "inspired" side?  Obviously most successful songwriters have a little of both... I just think it's weird how some of his tunes are so natural and others -- while great tunes nonetheless -- seem more "worked on."

His songs are up with the Beach Boys in my top favorite music to listen to.  I love the Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield stuff (what a sensual, sexy voice).  And like I said before, I can't believe how strange of a mood his music has.  When I listen to "Always Something There to Remind Me" I feel like I'm watching a movie at the same time.  Only song I don't care for so far is "Don't Make Me Over" and it's only because I don't like the singing on the "accept me for who I am" parts.

Would you guys say that the best collection if his music is the box set?  I'm thinking about getting it.  The "Definitive Burt Bacharach Songbook" is good, but it has Gabrielle's version of "Walk on By" instead of Warwick's for some reason.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 04:04:01 PM »

you should get it, there's no regrets in my purchase of it

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 08:26:16 AM »

I agree with everyone else, I think he and Hal David were a great songwriting team and over the years Burt has done some great collaborations with Elvis Costello. People have done some great covers of Burt and Burt and Hal's songs over the years, I especially like Love's rock take on Little Red Book.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:44:26 PM by Music Machine » Logged
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »

My favorite Bacharach song might be "Looking With My Eyes."  No wait, it's "Here I Am."  No wait..
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx