gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680938 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 11:34:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson/Gershwin collaboration  (Read 13712 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:43:22 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...0,2518188.story

!!!

It seems the server's down, but to paraphrase the article, it looks like the Gershwin estate has authorised Brian to finish some of the incomplete fragments Gershwin left when he died. It's unclear whether Brian will working towards a whole album of these Gershwin 'collaborations' or just do a couple for a Gershwin tribute album, and other artists will do the same. My guess is the latter, but a whole Brian/Gershwin album could be fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:49:10 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:48:01 AM »

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press.html

BRIAN WILSON SIGNS WITH WALT DISNEY RECORDS

BEACH BOYS CO-FOUNDER TO RECORD TWO ALBUMS, INCLUDING COVERS OF GEORGE AND IRA GERSHWIN CLASSICS

WILSON TO CRAFT COLLABORATIVE COMPOSITIONS FROM PREVIOUSLY UNPUBLISHED MUSIC FROM GEORGE GERSHWIN

[...]

He will follow that with an album of classic Disney songs, which the artist promises to “Brian-ize” with his trademark vocal stacks and unique arrangements. Release dates for each album have yet to be determined.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:55:02 AM »

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press.html

BRIAN WILSON SIGNS WITH WALT DISNEY RECORDS

BEACH BOYS CO-FOUNDER TO RECORD TWO ALBUMS, INCLUDING COVERS OF GEORGE AND IRA GERSHWIN CLASSICS

WILSON TO CRAFT COLLABORATIVE COMPOSITIONS FROM PREVIOUSLY UNPUBLISHED MUSIC FROM GEORGE GERSHWIN

[...]

He will follow that with an album of classic Disney songs, which the artist promises to “Brian-ize” with his trademark vocal stacks and unique arrangements. Release dates for each album have yet to be determined.

I have but one request and I will die a happy man.

"April Showers".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:56:31 AM »

What about "Pink Elephants on Parade"? Cheesy
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 01:00:29 AM »

If this were true... wowee! Words fail me... but tears do not.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 01:01:39 AM »

I'm also have trouble figuring if they mean a whole abum or just Brian finishing a couple.  But then he signed for a 2 album deal.  that second one...um...i'll wait and see on the disney one. but i loove me some disney.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:02:49 AM »

I'm looking forward to these, initially I thought 'hmmm' but then I realised if I had to hear covers rather than original material i'd rather hear Gershwin and Disney songs as covers by Brian rather than hear 'Proud Mary' or Phil f****** Spector.......

Thinking of the lushness of the melody and harmony involved in classic Disney songs and Gershwin seems to make sense - both those influences come together in Brian (Of course 'When you wish upon a star' influenced 'Surfer Girl') and of course Gershwin is all Pet Sounds/Smile etc....

Covers albums rarely get multiple plays from me but if the song selection is right and i'm not too familiar with the originals then I will enjoy them. Bryan Ferrys 'As time goes by' which covers standards from the 20s and 30s is one of my alltime favourites.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 01:09:25 AM »

I'm also have trouble figuring if they mean a whole abum or just Brian finishing a couple.  But then he signed for a 2 album deal.  that second one...um...i'll wait and see on the disney one. but i loove me some disney.

It's a whole album of Gershwin material.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:17:21 AM »

I'm made up about the Gershwin covers album, and the story that Brian is to complete some of Gershwin's unfinished stuff. Tremendous.

I suspect I'll have to hold my tongue about the proposed Disney Classics album until it's out. "Whistle While You Surf" isn't getting me going, though "When You Wish Upon a Star" has to have plenty of mileage -  it's got BW written all over it.

Wonder whether Van Dyke Parks will have input here, as he's scored/arranged for many Disney movies, and it's an obvious collaboratioon on such a project.  Thouygh Darian's been working on Disney projects too, recently.

And a live tour to follow? Jeff, Probyn, Darian, Scott, Nicky, Paul, and Nelson dressed as dwarves and Taylor as Snow White?  I'm liking it!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 01:23:58 AM »

Does anyone here like the Hal Willner Disney Tribute Album? I, for one, adore it.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 01:28:30 AM »

Here's the LA Times article again as the former link doesn't seem to work:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-brian-wilson8-2009oct08,0,2518188.story

This bit particularly interesting:

Wilson, who says "Rhapsody in Blue" is his earliest musical memory, said the pieces he's working with are very likely to remain as instrumentals, and that they could easily wind up as three-minute pop songs. But he's also holding open the possibility of expanding them to more substantive pieces.

Wilson said many of them aren't easy to evaluate.

"I can't decipher the verse from the chorus from the bridge," he said, "so I'm going to try to insert some new music into them. I might even write some music for an introduction.

So from this article it looks like two pieces will be 'collaborative' i.e. Brian working on unfinished Gershwin tunes, and the rest will be covers.

I'm not sure what to make of the Disney album. I too love a lot of the classic Disney tunes and it does seem like logical material fro him to work with. If he 'brianizes' to the point that he really messes with the arrangements (similar to Old Man River etc.) then it could be really interesting, but if they're just to be staright covers, except with lots of harmonising I'm not sure if it will be my cup of tea. The thought of Brian getting on stage and singing "Oo be doo, I wanna be like you" could be just a step too far!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 01:35:23 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »

The thought of Brian getting on stage and singing "Oo be doo, I wanna be like you" could be just a step too far!

Now that you mention it... I had a dream about JUST THAT very scene a few years ago. Weird.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 02:07:00 AM »

The thought of Brian getting on stage and singing "Oo be doo, I wanna be like you" could be just a step too far!

Now that you mention it... I had a dream about JUST THAT very scene a few years ago. Weird.

Dude, step away from the message board!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 02:10:02 AM »

S'good to see the overwhelmingly positive reaction to this news across so many boards.

A rare day indeed!

Quick someone, some barbed cynicism before our reputation's in tatters!

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 02:19:15 AM »

It's no picnic being psychic.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 02:38:53 AM »

It's no picnic being psychic.

Knew you were gonna say that...

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 02:48:03 AM »

S'good to see the overwhelmingly positive reaction to this news across so many boards.

A rare day indeed!

Quick someone, some barbed cynicism before our reputation's in tatters!

Yeah. It stinks. I had hoped for a BW album with covers of Muppets songs. Meh!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 02:51:06 AM »

I'm VERY excited about this...Brian doing music close to his heart? Hell yeah...works for me.

So much for Pleasure Island or the Rock & roll album.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 02:57:41 AM »

I'm VERY excited about this...Brian doing music close to his heart? Hell yeah...works for me.

So much for Pleasure Island or the Rock & roll album.

Seconded.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 03:17:06 AM »

Did he have just a one album deal with Capitol? It's a bit of a shame that he apparently left that label again, I kinda liked the "full circle" idea.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 03:51:32 AM »

It's a whole album of Gershwin material.

Woooooooooooo hooooooooooooo!

This could be a great album. Two undisputedly great composers - albeit generations after one stoped composing (and started decomposing....bad joke)

Brian has always revered Gershwin, and with good reason. He'll treat the music with respect while at the same time being enthusiastic about the project. And we all know what happens when Brian is enthusiastic about music....his brain starts working! And that could make the Gershwin/Wilson 'collaboration' album something truly great.

And as for the Disney covers album...it could be good. With some Brian rearranging and harmonies (backing vocalists, please...not a Wall of Brians) the familiar tunes could gain a new lease of life. But it does depend how enthusiastic Brian is, and which Disney tunes are chosen - and who chooses them.

All in all this is really positive. Chalk me up for a copy of the Gershwilson album.....I hope it's available on vinyl!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 04:01:06 AM »

Of course I swear solemnly that I won't delve into the scores of bootlegs awaiting us  police

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 04:36:50 AM »

Wow, really can wait to see what songs he chooses for the Disney Album. That should be interesting.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 04:44:56 AM »

Wow, really can wait to see what songs he chooses for the Disney Album. That should be interesting.

His wife and managers will decide upon that matter.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 04:46:30 AM »

This is amazing news, really wanted pleasure Island though  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx