gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 09:30:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 [254] 255 256 257 258 259 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1741468 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6325 on: September 07, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »

Who wants to talk Wild Honey era Surfs Up? Please let me know if you do......... 3D

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: September 07, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »

5. I'm In Great Shape  (no vocals)
6. Barnyard (missing verse vocals)

Couldn't you just fly in the vocals from the Humble Harv demo?

As proven by Purple Chick, it would sound pretty bad...the piano from the Humble Harv tape would be overpowering.

Not the case for "I'm In Great Shape" imo. Very tired of "It's not on the Purple Chick version, it can't be done/it doesn't exist."

agreed with this.  Linett and Co were able to bring out the trombones at the end of heroes and villains too.  Something purple chick couldn't manage
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »

If I said Hawthorne CA, my bad - I meant Endless Harmony, and no, different thing entirely: 11/66 BW mono mix & edit, lasts 3.03. Superb. No vocals at all.

I wonder why this mix wasn't included in the box set? 

Do we know for sure it isn't? That would be a huge omission. There is an argument for it being the version to use on Disc One.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: September 07, 2011, 08:11:11 PM »

There's an acetate of Child Is Father Of The Man from late '66 that runs about 1:45 that's been on boots for years. If this is the same version on the box set, I don't know. It doesn't have any lead vocals but it does have fuller vocals on the chorus fade.

That is the version (or variation thereof) I am expecting.  Verse lyrics are just too much to hope for.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: September 07, 2011, 08:18:17 PM »

Who wants to talk Wild Honey era Surfs Up? Please let me know if you do......... 3D
Honestly, besides your all-too-subtle way of asking for this...what do we know about this track during the WH era?
Is it a simplistic/R&B/strip-down version?  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6330 on: September 07, 2011, 11:58:15 PM »

Wasn't the mastering for TLOS and BWPS UK albums different to the US albums, hence there was a noticeable difference in quality?

My EC pressing of TLOS was utterly unlistenable until I ripped it to my iPod (seriously). My US version was, and is, just fine.

That's highly weird.  Surely -- because mastering is SO expensive -- the album wouldn't have been mastered twice?  There's no good reason for that.  Presumably, though, the pressings are different.  In which case, could something in the pressing process have compromised the sound?  Plenty a cheap polymer has krunked a disc along the way.  (I'm looking at you, PDO.)

My only explanation (and it's not a good one) is they sent over the download master by mistake.

That seems skyscrapingly improbable.

Three words: "We Got Love".  Grin

...?  Going to have to fill this idiot in.  What happened there?

'Wrong' master was sent to Germany - before they could stop them, about 300 copies of Holland with "WGL" instead of "SO,S" were pressed. Rarest BB album there is.
So it was the actual song itself, not just on the back cover, or printed on the record tracklist?

Song was pressed on the album. :-)  But not on the labels !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: September 08, 2011, 12:20:53 AM »

If there's no Baldwin or some deep-as-f*** piano groovin' on the Wild Honey-era "Surf's Up" I'm going to burn the box. Evil
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: September 08, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »

Wasn't the mastering for TLOS and BWPS UK albums different to the US albums, hence there was a noticeable difference in quality?

My EC pressing of TLOS was utterly unlistenable until I ripped it to my iPod (seriously). My US version was, and is, just fine.

That's highly weird.  Surely -- because mastering is SO expensive -- the album wouldn't have been mastered twice?  There's no good reason for that.  Presumably, though, the pressings are different.  In which case, could something in the pressing process have compromised the sound?  Plenty a cheap polymer has krunked a disc along the way.  (I'm looking at you, PDO.)

My only explanation (and it's not a good one) is they sent over the download master by mistake.

That seems skyscrapingly improbable.

'Wrong' master was sent to Germany - before they could stop them, about 300 copies of Holland with "WGL" instead of "SO,S" were pressed. Rarest BB album there is.
So it was the actual song itself, not just on the back cover, or printed on the record tracklist?

See, I just asked that the other day and got an answer that was totally the opposite.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: September 08, 2011, 01:30:07 AM »

There's an acetate of Child Is Father Of The Man from late '66 that runs about 1:45 that's been on boots for years. If this is the same version on the box set, I don't know. It doesn't have any lead vocals but it does have fuller vocals on the chorus fade.

That is the version (or variation thereof) I am expecting.  Verse lyrics are just too much to hope for.

My head says that you're probably right, but my heart says that maybe you're not right.   We've heard some hints that there will be a few blockbusters (i.e., things that will "blow us away").  Obviously, the 1967 Surf's Up is a shoo-in for the blockbuster category.   So far, that's pretty much it, though, right?   And if that IS it, well, so be it.   It'll still be a great set.  

On the other hand, I ask myself, "What sort of discoveries would those in-the-know consider mind-blowing for the hardcore fans?"  Something that would certainly qualify: surprise verse vocals for at least one of the following: Worms, Child, Great Shape, Barnyard, I Wanna Be Around or Da Da.    

Here's hoping that our minds are blown.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: September 08, 2011, 01:37:28 AM »

See, I just asked that the other day and got an answer that was totally the opposite.  Grin

there might be a mix-up with misprints on the back side of the sleeve. Canadian and French copies of Holland mention We Got Love on the back of the sleeve (but not on the labels... and it's the regular record, no WGL on it).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6335 on: September 08, 2011, 02:18:59 AM »

That is the version (or variation thereof) I am expecting.  Verse lyrics are just too much to hope for.

My head says that you're probably right, but my heart says that maybe you're not right.   We've heard some hints that there will be a few blockbusters (i.e., things that will "blow us away").  Obviously, the 1967 Surf's Up is a shoo-in for the blockbuster category.   So far, that's pretty much it, though, right?   And if that IS it, well, so be it.   It'll still be a great set.  

On the other hand, I ask myself, "What sort of discoveries would those in-the-know consider mind-blowing for the hardcore fans?"  Something that would certainly qualify: surprise verse vocals for at least one of the following: Worms, Child, Great Shape, Barnyard, I Wanna Be Around or Da Da.    

Here's hoping that our minds are blown.

"Teeter-Totter Love" will blow you away. But not because it's any good...

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: September 08, 2011, 02:40:47 AM »

I don't think records are ever mastered for download differently than CD. I don't think mastering is as painfully expensive as the original poster said when compared to other aspects of a record being finished, thus it's not unlikely that two masters were done or that the UK version was an incorrect master.

They maybe aren't.  But an album mastering session costs (if my experience at Metropolis, London, is anything to go by) north of £6,000 a pop.  And it involves enough work to not be replicated.  One master is enough per format.  Especially in the post-broadband world.  The logistical is the bigger question: why master anything twice?  One digital (ie CD, download), one vinyl (if needed, because it needs a careful balance of low-end etc) -- what else?  An 'incorrect' master implies an error of colossal proportions: the Holland error is one of such dimension.  But more than one master (for only one format) was prepared for that.  So that's a straight baby-swap in the maternity ward.  An error along those lines for TLOS is way, way, more unlikely.  Especially on this scale. 

(Having said that, I've never quite understood the two-fer mix-up between 'Ol' Man River' and 'Ol' Man River,' when the CD version of one would have adequately done for the other, yet, apparently, didn't.)

I think you've gone to a VERY expensive place then. You can certainly get good mastering done for a lot cheaper than that. Both in the UK and the US.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: September 08, 2011, 02:45:05 AM »

I don't think records are ever mastered for download differently than CD. I don't think mastering is as painfully expensive as the original poster said when compared to other aspects of a record being finished, thus it's not unlikely that two masters were done or that the UK version was an incorrect master.

They maybe aren't.  But an album mastering session costs (if my experience at Metropolis, London, is anything to go by) north of £6,000 a pop.  And it involves enough work to not be replicated.  One master is enough per format.  Especially in the post-broadband world.  The logistical is the bigger question: why master anything twice?  One digital (ie CD, download), one vinyl (if needed, because it needs a careful balance of low-end etc) -- what else?  An 'incorrect' master implies an error of colossal proportions: the Holland error is one of such dimension.  But more than one master (for only one format) was prepared for that.  So that's a straight baby-swap in the maternity ward.  An error along those lines for TLOS is way, way, more unlikely.  Especially on this scale. 

(Having said that, I've never quite understood the two-fer mix-up between 'Ol' Man River' and 'Ol' Man River,' when the CD version of one would have adequately done for the other, yet, apparently, didn't.)

I think you've gone to a VERY expensive place then. You can certainly get good mastering done for a lot cheaper than that. Both in the UK and the US.

Yes, it was very expensive, because it was the best.  And I'd bet you 15p Linett's using the best, too.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: September 08, 2011, 03:25:46 AM »

Anyone - what's 'I Don't Know'?

(First person to say 'I don't know' wins a bun.)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: September 08, 2011, 04:35:37 AM »

My guess would be a basic instrumental to show Dennis how to man the board.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: September 08, 2011, 04:55:21 AM »

Isn't it a Dennis composition/production, done independently of BW? That's also the case with Carl's 'Tones'. I can't wait, really. Later in his career, he had a habit of giving songs slightly vague working titles - I think in the Carlin he says both Make It Good and  Cuddle Up were both known as 'Old Movie', because of what they sounded like, so 'I Don't Know' doesn't really suggest it's a throwaway.

Would this be the earliest Dennis composition released, then?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: September 08, 2011, 04:57:34 AM »

unless "I Don't Know" means "i don't know what this is". 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: September 08, 2011, 05:06:11 AM »

i'd also really enjoy it if vega-tables had "round round round dig a hole in the ground" back in it
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: September 08, 2011, 06:29:20 AM »

'"Teeter-Totter Love" will blow you away. But not because it's any good...'

Like the 'Prayer' sessions? Any chatter in there about smile/sequencing etc?
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: September 08, 2011, 06:45:38 AM »

That's highly weird.  Surely -- because mastering is SO expensive -- the album wouldn't have been mastered twice?  There's no good reason for that.  Presumably, though, the pressings are different.  In which case, could something in the pressing process have compromised the sound?  Plenty a cheap polymer has krunked a disc along the way.  (I'm looking at you, PDO.)

They maybe aren't.  But an album mastering session costs (if my experience at Metropolis, London, is anything to go by) north of £6,000 a pop.  And it involves enough work to not be replicated.  One master is enough per format.  Especially in the post-broadband world.  The logistical is the bigger question: why master anything twice?  One digital (ie CD, download), one vinyl (if needed, because it needs a careful balance of low-end etc) -- what else?  An 'incorrect' master implies an error of colossal proportions: the Holland error is one of such dimension.  But more than one master (for only one format) was prepared for that.  So that's a straight baby-swap in the maternity ward.  An error along those lines for TLOS is way, way, more unlikely.  Especially on this scale.  

Yes, it was very expensive, because it was the best.  And I'd bet you 15p Linett's using the best, too.

I don't know, "the best" is quite relative. The company I used for my album (US based) is reckoned to be very good, and certainly a lot cheaper than £6.000.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6345 on: September 08, 2011, 06:56:03 AM »

Kinda what I thought. After all, the Jasper Dailey tracks that leaked previously are too schmaltzy and, frankly, boring for most BB fans. My guess is that they're including "Teeter-Totter Love" to just tell the fans to STFU...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6346 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:41 AM »

Kinda what I thought. After all, the Jasper Dailey tracks that leaked previously are too schmaltzy and, frankly, boring for most BB fans. My guess is that they're including "Teeter-Totter Love" to just tell the fans to STFU...

Leaked Daley tracks ?  Where dem ?

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: September 08, 2011, 07:53:24 AM »

Leaked Daley tracks ?  Where dem ?

Maybe 37!ws is getting mixed up with the Dick Reynolds tracks?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: September 08, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »

The thread has slowed down considerably. Are we getting tired of the SMiLE hype? Cancel your orders while you still can. And convert that money into beer.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
ghost
« Reply #6349 on: September 08, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »

The thread has slowed down considerably. Are we getting tired of the SMiLE hype? Cancel your orders while you still can. And convert that money into beer.

Personally I'm getting cold feet. Is Smile really all that good? I feel like I've been had by a giant hype machine Derek Taylor thought up back in 1967. Cancel Smile, create unstoppable myth that self-sustains itself through 40+ years of music history... genius.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 [254] 255 256 257 258 259 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx