gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 02:17:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 164485 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: June 30, 2015, 08:15:51 AM »

OSD,

I agree that I never really thought of M&B during the two hours. 

I'm seeing them in August, and I'm sure it'll be a fun show, there's no way they're going to top what happened at The Mann last night. 

My only real complaint was, no offense to Rodriguez, I'd have rather see a longer set with no opener (similar to C50). 
C50 was a delight twice, for me at least. But no, no Mike & Bruce in my thoughts either last night. The show was excellent without them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: June 30, 2015, 08:17:22 AM »

Unlike the Beck tour, I don't feel like the opening Rodriguez set significantly shortened Brian's set. Looking back at his non-album-themed tours, this current setlist isn't a great deal shorter (some early shows also might have felt longer because there were often intermissions). Rodriguez also did a relatively short opening set for an "opening act." I don't think it clocked in at much more than 30 minutes. I've seen opening acts do 45 easily.

Back to "Runaway Dancer", while it isn't one of my favorites, I would say it's probably the tightest-sounding performance in the show in terms of the new album stuff. "Sail Away" always sounds great, but it always feel like they still can't decide who should sing which part of it. Brian seems to dig doing "Runaway Dancer", so if it gets him all jazzed, then I'm all for it. I enjoyed watching Al on stage essentially watch the rest of the band doing the song while he just shook the apple shaker. (Glad to see Al stay up on stage for even the solo stuff he wasn't originally on; as opposed to the Venetian Blu-ray where he came and went several times). Given how these guys were estranged for much of the 2000's, it's still surreal to see Al on stage singing along to Brian's solo material (didn't get to see the 2013 shows where both Al and Dave were on stage singing and playing on "Your Imagination" and "Goin' Home.")

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 30, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »

Sounds like I missed something remarkable! NO doubt about that...hoping there's a second leg in the fall...just couldn't work it out for last night!
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 30, 2015, 09:01:42 AM »

>> Real Beach Boy---wd very much wish to see this tour but AM IN UK.

Ticketmaster called today to say my refund is on the way. I should have preferred to see & hear this.

Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 30, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »

Going to the Jones Beach show tonight. Can't wait.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: June 30, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »

Going to the Jones Beach show tonight. Can't wait.

One of my good friends is going tonight too...you're in for a treat!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2015, 11:14:24 AM »

Really interesting to compare these Brian/Al/Blondie setlists with the recent Mike/Bruce ones.  If you put their most recent US setlists against each other, they've got about half the songs in common -- 16 shared numbers, Brian doing another 17, and Mike doing another 22.  But the other numbers make them look like completely different bands -- Mike's setlist basically stops dead after "Good Vibrations" (only "Do It Again", the shared "Darlin'", "Disney Girls", "Goin' To The Beach", "California Dreamin'", "Kokomo", and "Pisces Brothers" after that), while Brian has fifteen tracks from "Smile" through "No Pier Pressure".  On the flipside, Brian has only two non-shared tracks before that point -- "In My Room" and "The Little Girl I Once Knew" -- while Mike has sixteen more cuts from the early days, including deep cuts from "Farmer's Daughter" to "Why Do Fools" to "Betsy" and four or five more tracks from "Today!".

It really does give the sense of two very different careers, even with about half the songs overlapping.  I always knew the Beach Boys were one of the greatest rock bands ever...  these setlists make a strong case that they're two of the greatest rock bands ever.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Gohi
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »

Really interesting to compare these Brian/Al/Blondie setlists with the recent Mike/Bruce ones.  If you put their most recent US setlists against each other, they've got about half the songs in common -- 16 shared numbers, Brian doing another 17, and Mike doing another 22.  But the other numbers make them look like completely different bands -- Mike's setlist basically stops dead after "Good Vibrations" (only "Do It Again", the shared "Darlin'", "Disney Girls", "Goin' To The Beach", "California Dreamin'", "Kokomo", and "Pisces Brothers" after that), while Brian has fifteen tracks from "Smile" through "No Pier Pressure".  On the flipside, Brian has only two non-shared tracks before that point -- "In My Room" and "The Little Girl I Once Knew" -- while Mike has sixteen more cuts from the early days, including deep cuts from "Farmer's Daughter" to "Why Do Fools" to "Betsy" and four or five more tracks from "Today!".

It really does give the sense of two very different careers, even with about half the songs overlapping.  I always knew the Beach Boys were one of the greatest rock bands ever...  these setlists make a strong case that they're two of the greatest rock bands ever.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Excellent point. I am glad to have both these bands.

I wish I could see this tour, but I'm happy I saw the BAD tour stop in Ohio, at least. Smiley
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

EXCELLENT post.

We're in a very fortunate position as fans to hear essentially any Beach Boys material we want live...popular or not. Sure, there's always more to be had...but that's what keeps us coming back, right??
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2015, 11:08:17 PM »

Any reports yet?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: July 01, 2015, 06:00:58 AM »

Looks like someone posted the setlist and I don't see any new additions:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2015/nikon-at-jones-beach-theater-wantagh-ny-33c94411.html

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #311 on: July 01, 2015, 06:11:53 AM »

Same set as Philly. 

I always find it amusing to see Then He Kissed Me (Al Jardine lead vocal) on BB/BW setlists.  You'd think Setlist.FM would call the song by the actual title used on Summer Days, Summer Nights. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: July 01, 2015, 06:53:01 AM »

Same set as Philly. 

I always find it amusing to see Then He Kissed Me (Al Jardine lead vocal) on BB/BW setlists.  You'd think Setlist.FM would call the song by the actual title used on Summer Days, Summer Nights. 

Yeah, that’s a weird tick that the website has. I think they do that to collate all of the data across all bands/setlists about a given song. I’m not sure who would need to know *every* band that has ever performed “Then He Kissed Me”, but I guess one can do that.

KDS
« Reply #313 on: July 01, 2015, 07:02:31 AM »

Same set as Philly. 

Yeah, that’s a weird tick that the website has. I think they do that to collate all of the data across all bands/setlists about a given song. I’m not sure who would need to know *every* band that has ever performed “Then He Kissed Me”, but I guess one can do that.

I know of at least three variations on the title:

Then He Kissed Me  - Crystals
Then I Kissed Her - Beach Boys
Then She Kissed Me - KISS
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 01, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »

Same set as Philly. 

Ya think?  And for a long time, s/he/they conveniently forgot to give "attribution." 
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 01, 2015, 08:32:54 AM »

I went to the Jones Beach show last night and here are my thoughts..

1.  The band was AWESOME.  Insanely good.. If you have any reservations about seeing the show.. Don't.. GO SEE THEM!

2.  Al sounds like he is still 25.  Simply amazing! 

3.  No offense to Jeff Foskett, but Matt Jardine sounds much better in the blend (to my ears).  His vocal on Don't worry baby was especially beautiful.  Even my wife said so during the song!

4.  Loved seeing Blondie..  Wild Honey seriously rocked.

5.  Brian seemed happy and relaxed and sounded very good, especially on the new stuff.

6.  Plenty of "Brianisms" throughout the show..  Introducing Darlin' he says "I wrote this for my brother Carl (cheers from the crowd) ..and then he died".  Introducing God only Knows he says "I wrote 400 songs and this is the best"

7.  Loved the Friends songs..  a very pleasant surprise

8.  Good vibrations rocked very hard

9.  Did I mention the band was insanely good?

All in all a wonderful experience, and thank you to my wife for an amazing Father's Day gift.

Go see this show!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:51:44 AM by Watch a Cave » Logged
KDS
« Reply #316 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:24 AM »

That just reminded me of the God Only Knows intro from Philly on Monday night

"I've written a lot of songs.  I've heard this one is the best one.  Maybe it is.  God Only Knows." 
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 01, 2015, 10:11:32 AM »

Saw the Jones Beach show last night. Stadium was only about 30% full, so they closed down the mezzanine and we swapped out for closer seats. It was still so relaxed that we gradually drifted down further and further to the front, till by the end we were dancing in the aisle next to the front row with others. I was standing about 3 yards away from Brian and his piano. I'll post some photos as soon as I can figure out how to upload them onto this finicky server.

All in all, a great show. Brian seemed like he was doing great (although physically quite shaky when he walked off stage) and the band totally kicked ass. A few highlights: The great scat-singing bit on "One Kind of Love." A fantastic stuttured vocal a-la "My Generation" by Blondie on the "lying, dying" part of "Sail on, Sailor." Darian sounded just great--and a lot like Carl--on "Darlin'," and they ended the song with a great a cappella bit. The vibraphone (I think by Scott) on "Busy Doin' Nothin'" was fantastically inventive. Great sounding mandolin on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and they DID NOT include the "goodnight oh baby" vocals at the end, or at least I couldn't hear them in the mix. "Love and Mercy" was just beautiful, and Brian's piano was simple and lovely on it. Brian was a little shouty last night, but certainly more than competent.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:13:45 AM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 01, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »

"I've written a lot of songs.  I've heard this one is the best one.  Maybe it is.  God Only Knows." 

He also swapped out "a lot of people out there hurtin'" with "a lot of people getting shot" in L&M  LOL

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: July 01, 2015, 12:52:55 PM »

In Austin,  he sang ' and it scares the hell out of me' LOL

KDS
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2015, 12:56:47 PM »

He also swapped out "a lot of people out there hurtin'" with "a lot of people getting shot" in L&M  LOL

I'm glad you mentioned that.  I thought I misheard him.  So, I did hear right. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »

Sitting outside the venue, Probyn Gregory just happens to be out here too, just kind of hanging out.  He talked to a bunch of fans for a little bit while we're waiting for the doors to open, it was pretty cool.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 01, 2015, 03:01:45 PM »

good times LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 01, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »

Went to the Philly show and I'm still blown away. Brian sounded really good on God Only Knows, Darian sang Darlin I believe and I almost thought Carl himself was singing.

The real horns add so much to the mix, the sax that was played during the chorus of Don't Worry Baby was truly a highlight for me.

The best part of the concert for me was Surf's Up. Was tremendously moved by how perfect it sounded, and the song received a long standing ovation from the majority of the crowd. Runaway Dancer was killer - I love the album version, but the live version has a perfect feel to it - it's more acoustic than electronic, making it seem more Brian Wilson and less Capital Cities.

The band was really tight. The acoustics of the venue were perfect. Blondie sounded almost better on the live version of Sail Away than on the actual album!

The encore was truly special - the energy of the crowd was electric, and everyone was up dancing and singing. Anyways, I'm running on almost zero sleep for the last few days, so this post may seem a bit scattered. Point is, if you have the ability to see any shows on this tour do not hesitate to get a ticket. Invite your friends, family; they will not be disappointed.

Thank you Brian and the band for putting on such a tremendous show. Without a doubt it'll be a night I will never forget.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:56:43 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 01, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »

Some quick comments about tonight's show.

-"Cottonfields" was performed as a duet between Al and Mike D"Amico's daughter who did a fine job.

-"God Only Knows" recieved a standing ovation, Brian stepped out from behind his piano and took a bow.  Beautiful moment.

-Brian led the crowd in a singalong of "Row Row Row Your Boat" with Al joking that it's a good lead-in to the next song which turned out to be an incredible "Surf's Up".

-Bruce Springsteen was present at the show though stayed mostly incognito.  He came out during the encore in a baseball cap, nobody recognized him until Al sings "tried Bruce Springsteen" during "Barbara Ann".  Chants of "Bruuuuuce" most certainly followed and he strapped on a guitar for "Surfin' USA" and then quietly walked off.

-Tonight's lyric improv in Love & Mercy. "A lot of people broke in the money, well it's just not fair."

-Setlist surprise of the night was "Drive-In"!  An odd inclusion but Brian got really into that one.

Overall, an incredible show even though the sound mix was a bit lacking at times.  I'll have more to say about the show later I'm sure.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:49:56 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx