gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 06:15:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis' hair...  (Read 3426 times)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:25:35 AM »

In a bunch of footage and photos from a few different periods in the early 60's, Denny's hair looks dyed black. Anyone know anything about this? I mean, it's the exact opposite of what made him so California and I can't go for that emo look. Anyone?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:43:53 AM »

It wasn't an emo look at the time, because emo didn't exist.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »

Please show me an example of Dennis with black hair in the early '60's, because I've never seen one. The closest I've seen is medium brown in mid to late '66, and that's when they were touring so much he never saw the light.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »

It wasn't an emo look at the time, because emo didn't exist.
Natch,I was just saying... Still, Aegir, you must know the photos (films?) I'm talking about. I agree that Dennis had dark brown hair in '65-66, maybe from never getting the salt and sun in his hair, but I'm sure there are older photos of him (with Dave in the band?) where his hair looks jet black. Stebbins, I'll try to find one for you if no one else can. I think there's some footage in Endless Harmony with Denny, his shades, and his black hair.

Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:23:21 PM »

Could it be from the lighting? If the footage is black and white, it wouldn't take much darkness to make even blonde hair look black. I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Dennis with hair so dark it looked black.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »

It could definitely be the lighting and photo contrast. I was very surprised when I met Carl Wilson to discover he had light brown hair, because his coloring looked darker from the stage and in photos. OTOH, Dennis was always blonde whenever I saw him onstage, and I've never seen him with black hair in any medium.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 06:38:23 AM »

I think hair color can look very different, depending on the lighting. i remember seeing a photo of John Lennon where his hair looked red. A short time later, I read that his hair actually WAS reddish-- not red, but reddish. In all those B&W photos, it looks brown. In most later color photos, it also looks brown.

Dennis sometimes looked like he had brown hair, and sometimes looked blond. I never thought he dyed it or anything, but always assumed it was the sun.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »

Yeah the darkest I have ever seen Dennys hair was a med brown. Hair coloring in pix can be VERY deceptive, its truly amazing what lighting & a certain position you may be in can make your hair look different. 

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »

If you happen to have the book The Beach Boys Pet Sounds by Kingsley Abbott, check out page 94. There is a photo of a British release cover of a 45 God Only Knows in which all 5 (except Brian) are on it. It shows Dennis' hair very dark, but I'm sure it's the lighting.

I tried to scan it and send it but the file was too large!!!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »

Dennis's hair is very dark in the Cottonfields film clip ... then again he and the rest of he band look like they haven't seen daylight for a year (FYI: it's the colour clip with Dennis wearing a leather jacket).
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »

If you happen to have the book The Beach Boys Pet Sounds by Kingsley Abbott, check out page 94. There is a photo of a British release cover of a 45 God Only Knows in which all 5 (except Brian) are on it. It shows Dennis' hair very dark, but I'm sure it's the lighting.

I tried to scan it and send it but the file was too large!!!

Donna, try uploading a picture on www.tinypic.com and copy-paste the url-code here. Works much better than attaching it.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 07:43:47 AM »

Let's see if that worked. Of course it's going to be dark now, as it's a black and white photo!!! Well, I tried!!!!!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 05:43:07 PM »

The scan looks great, and I agree that his hair looks darker than normal but not dyed. The footage I'm thinking of is included during the Dennis part of endless harmony. I think he's sitting in a lounge chair outside, bright sunlight in his face, wearing some wayfairers and sporting dyed black hair. To me the clip seems to be from around '62-'64. Check this link at the 6:35 mark and tell me what you think. Cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4MXR8BLTb0

DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »

Yeah, I see what you're talking about.....I have no clue what the deal is with his hair there, but from what I've seen and everyone says, he never dyed his hair. I'm going with them.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:23:56 PM »

The scan looks great, and I agree that his hair looks darker than normal but not dyed. The footage I'm thinking of is included during the Dennis part of endless harmony. I think he's sitting in a lounge chair outside, bright sunlight in his face, wearing some wayfairers and sporting dyed black hair. To me the clip seems to be from around '62-'64. Check this link at the 6:35 mark and tell me what you think. Cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4MXR8BLTb0
I'm familiar with this footage(I've seen it in unedited form), its soundless footage from mid to late 1965, the rest of the band(including Bruce and no Brian) is rehearsing unplugged on a hotel rooftop while Dennis sits in a lawn chair sunning himself.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 07:31:22 AM »

Thanks Jon!, For some reason I thought that footage was a few years older. I guess you're right and Dennis' hair just never got sun-bleached that year. His hair appears much closer to the color of Brian's. Anyway...thanks again!

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 07:59:29 AM »

Hmmm, I don't recall seeing it that dark....very interesting!  Afro

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »

Yeah...wow i've never seen it that dark either! Thanks for the insight Jon

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx