gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680964 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 10:00:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best songs from their worst albums  (Read 15921 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 08:22:01 AM »

Best songs from the wilderness era would be for me...

15 BO - Just Once in My Life
LY - The Night Was So Young
MIU - Pitter Patter
LA - Baby Blue
KTSA - Santa Ana Winds (from a dire album)
BB85 - Where I Belong
SC - Somewhere Near Japan
SIP - Lahaina Aloha (apart from the drum heavy production)

With honourable mentions to It's a Beautiful Day and Rock and Roll to the Rescue
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »

@drbeachboy. Ya your right about Caroline, No. Timothy Schmidt does a pretty good job. It's weird because fellow Eagle Glenn Frey covered the song on his recent album, After Hours. I mean who could blame him, another perfect song that should have charted into the top 5.. In a perfect world that is...
Nicko1234
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2013, 09:01:04 AM »

@drbeachboy. Ya your right about Caroline, No. Timothy Schmidt does a pretty good job. It's weird because fellow Eagle Glenn Frey covered the song on his recent album, After Hours. I mean who could blame him, another perfect song that should have charted into the top 5.. In a perfect world that is...

A great song but not a single imo. Nothing like commercial enough...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »

15 Big Ones - Just Once In My Life, It's OK, Back Home
MIU - My Diane, Pitter Patter
LA - Baby Blue, Good Timin'
Keepin' The Summer Alive - Santa Ana Winds, title track, Some of Your Love (well I like it !)
The Beach Boys - Where I Belong, California Calling, Getcha Back
Still Cruisin' - Somewhere Near Japan
Summer In Paradise - Still Surfin', title track, Surfin' (1992)
Stars & Stripes Volume 1 - The Warmth Of The Sun, Caroline, No

Bonus tracks - Almost Summer, It's A Beautiful Day, Rock & Roll To the Rescue, California Dreaming (1986), Don't Fight The Sea
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:54:36 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »

15 Big Ones-Rock and Roll Music, It's OK, Back Home, Susie, That Same Song. Not a good album but with so many songs I can pick more.

Love You-I'll Bet He's Nice, The Night Was So Young, Good Time, Ding Dang. I don't like the studio cut but Honkin' was good live.

MIU-Come Go With Me, Matchpoint, My Diane, Wontcha Come Out Tonight, She's Got Rhythm,

LA Light-Angel Come Home, Baby Blue, Love Surrounds Me, Good Timin'

KTSA-Keepin The Summer Alive, Goin' On, Santa Ana Winds

85-Getcha Back

SC-Somewhere Near Japan

SIP-Zip

S&S-Zip
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »

15 Big Ones - Just Once In My Life, It's OK, Back Home
MIU - My Diane, Pitter Patter
LA - Baby Blue, Good Timin'
Keepin' The Summer Alive - Santa Ana Winds, title track, Some of Your Love (well I like it !)
The Beach Boys - Where I Belong, California Calling, Getcha Back
Still Cruisin' - Somewhere Near Japan
Summer In Paradise - Still Surfin', title track, Surfin' (1992)
Stars & Stripes Volume 1 - The Warmth Of The Sun, Caroline, No

Bonus tracks - Almost Summer, It's A Beautiful Day, Rock & Roll To the Rescue, California Dreaming (1986), Don't Fight The Sea

Andrew, no love for Chasin' The Sky?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2013, 12:30:34 PM »

15 Big Ones-Rock and Roll Music, It's OK, Back Home, Susie, That Same Song. Not a good album but with so many songs I can pick more.

Love You-I'll Bet He's Nice, The Night Was So Young, Good Time, Ding Dang. I don't like the studio cut but Honkin' was good live.

We can have this discussion, but there is just no way that I'd class Love You as one of their worst albums, just no way.  For me, it's definitely in their upper third best.  I put it in the class with Neil's Tonight's the Night.

Who doesn't like Mona, Rolling Skating Child, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, and Johnny Carson?  Come ON.  This is a gorgeous and GREAT album, and its only fault may be that it's a little emotionally over the top.  But, I smile just thinking about it!!

(sorry for the minor rant here)

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2013, 01:44:46 PM »

We can have this discussion, but there is just no way that I'd class Love You as one of their worst albums, just no way.  For me, it's definitely in their upper third best.  I put it in the class with Neil's Tonight's the Night.

Who doesn't like Mona, Rolling Skating Child, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, and Johnny Carson?  Come ON.  This is a gorgeous and GREAT album, and its only fault may be that it's a little emotionally over the top.  But, I smile just thinking about it!!

Love You is one of their big polarisers. People seem to either love or hate that one. (I love it!)

Can't believe there's been barely any love for She's Got Rhythm. If you can get past Brian's falsetto it's a real catchy song.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:47:46 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »

We can have this discussion, but there is just no way that I'd class Love You as one of their worst albums, just no way.  For me, it's definitely in their upper third best.  I put it in the class with Neil's Tonight's the Night.

Who doesn't like Mona, Rolling Skating Child, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, and Johnny Carson?  Come ON.  This is a gorgeous and GREAT album, and its only fault may be that it's a little emotionally over the top.  But, I smile just thinking about it!!

Love You is one of their big polarisers. People seem to either love or hate that one. (I love it!)
Me too! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »

That's why I omitted it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

We can have this discussion, but there is just no way that I'd class Love You as one of their worst albums, just no way.  For me, it's definitely in their upper third best.  I put it in the class with Neil's Tonight's the Night.

Who doesn't like Mona, Rolling Skating Child, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, and Johnny Carson?  Come ON.  This is a gorgeous and GREAT album, and its only fault may be that it's a little emotionally over the top.  But, I smile just thinking about it!!

A fallacy I think. A lot of people, myself included, rate some songs and really don't rate others. I really don't see how anybody can say as the earlier poster did that, 'its only fault may be that it's a little emotionally over the top' though. Some of the lyrics and vocals are obviously a fault.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:55:26 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »

A fallacy I think. A lot of people, myself included, rate some songs and really don't rate others. I really don't see how anybody can say as the earlier poster did that, 'its only fault may be that it's a little emotionally over the top' though. Some of the lyrics and vocals are obviously a fault.

Obviously to you maybe, definitely not to me.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »

I always thought the lyrics and compositions were intentionally amateurish, if that makes sense. It's all Brian and his childlike wonder.

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2013, 04:02:42 PM »

Call me crazy BUT I have loved (and still do ) 'Love You' more than 'Pet Sounds' , just adore the raw emotion - Its always been my 2nd most listened to album behind 'Sunflower'
Nicko1234
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »

OK. If you don't think that any of the lyrics or vocals are weak then more power to you.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »

Updated my Good Timin' playlist a bit:

1. Goin' On
2. Getcha Back
3. In My Car
4. Shortenin' Bread
5. She's Got Rhythm
6. Come Go With Me
7. Wontcha Come Out Tonight?
8. Match Point of Our Love
9. Sumahama*
10. Good Timin'
11. My Diane
12. Baby Blue

*Japanese verses quite clumsily removed by me Tongue
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:38:28 PM by Judd » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »

Should we take it that you are not a fan of this performance then?  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neHcU18ZESM
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:59:20 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »

OK. If you don't think that any of the lyrics or vocals are weak then more power to you.
Those of us that like Love You, like it for all of the reasons that you don't. Different strokes..., baby. It's a very raw and honest album. The first time I heard it back in 77 and heard Carl's growl at the start, I knew I was in for something completely different. I like that it is not typical Beach Boys music.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:01:07 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »

Should we take it that you are not a fan of this performance then?  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neHcU18ZESM
Haha, oh dear Tongue
I've read people joking that the song might have been if the whole thing had been sung in Japanese... didn't know it actually existed  LOL

Nicko1234
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »

Those of us that like Love You, like it for all of the reasons that you don't. Different strokes..., baby. It's a very raw and honest album. The first time I heard it back in 77 and heard Carl's growl at the start, I knew I was in for something completely different. I like that it is not typical Beach Boys music.

If you'd read my other posts about Love You then you'd know that I don't dislike the album. I rate some songs and don't rate others. I just believe that out of tune vocals, such as those on Love is a Woman, are generally considered to be a negative. Even when it's Brian Wilson singing.  Smiley
Nicko1234
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »

Haha, oh dear Tongue
I've read people joking that the song might have been if the whole thing had been sung in Japanese... didn't know it actually existed  LOL

Mike did at least have the kindness to first record a version solely in English just for you.  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW3SCYjjzLQ
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:41 PM »

The song that best fits this thread title, in my mind, is "My Diane" from M.I.U. Album, both because I think it's a terrific song and that it's on a generally dreadful album.  Aside from this one song and perhaps two or so mediocre ones, M.I.U. is just about as bad as Summer in Paradise in my opinion.  There are, of course, other examples, like "Goin' On" and "Some of Your Love" from Keepin' the Summer Alive, but the album standard on that album, low as it is, is still a few notches above M.I.U., and the best songs are quite a bit less great than "My Diane."  Anyway, here are my picks:

15 Big Ones: "Had to Phone Ya," "Just Once in My Life"
M.I.U. Album: "My Diane"
Keepin' the Summer Alive: "Some of Your Love," "Goin' On"
The Beach Boys: "I Do Love You" (sounds so different from everything else on the album, you'd almost think it was performed by a whole different band)
Still Cruisin: "In My Car."  I don't believe in guilty pleasures, but if I did this would probably be at the top of my list of them.  I love this song!  "Island Girl" isn't bad either.
Summer in Paradise: "Lahaina Aloha," and, when I can ignore the lyrics, "Strange Things Happen"

The Beach Boys Love You is one of my all-time favorite Beach Boys albums, along with Pet Sounds and Wild Honey.  While I'm not terribly fond of Light Album, I think it's significantly better than any of the albums that I've listed.  I think it's roughly on par with the somewhat overrated Rieley-era albums.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »

Haha, oh dear Tongue
I've read people joking that the song might have been if the whole thing had been sung in Japanese... didn't know it actually existed  LOL

Mike did at least have the kindness to first record a version solely in English just for you.  Smiley

That was kind of him. Though the tempo's a little too fast... kinda lacks the calmness that made the version that went on L.A.
Either way, shows that I haven't done nearly enough digging Tongue

The song that best fits this thread title, in my mind, is "My Diane" from M.I.U. Album, both because I think it's a terrific song and that it's on a generally dreadful album.  Aside from this one song and perhaps two or so mediocre ones, M.I.U. is just about as bad as Summer in Paradise in my opinion.  There are, of course, other examples, like "Goin' On" and "Some of Your Love" from Keepin' the Summer Alive, but the album standard on that album, low as it is, is still a few notches above M.I.U., and the best songs are quite a bit less great than "My Diane."  Anyway, here are my picks:

15 Big Ones: "Had to Phone Ya," "Just Once in My Life"
M.I.U. Album: "My Diane"
Keepin' the Summer Alive: "Some of Your Love," "Goin' On"
The Beach Boys: "I Do Love You" (sounds so different from everything else on the album, you'd almost think it was performed by a whole different band)
Still Cruisin: "In My Car."  I don't believe in guilty pleasures, but if I did this would probably be at the top of my list of them.  I love this song!  "Island Girl" isn't bad either.
Summer in Paradise: "Lahaina Aloha," and, when I can ignore the lyrics, "Strange Things Happen"

The Beach Boys Love You is one of my all-time favorite Beach Boys albums, along with Pet Sounds and Wild Honey.  While I'm not terribly fond of Light Album, I think it's significantly better than any of the albums that I've listed.  I think it's roughly on par with the somewhat overrated Rieley-era albums.
I always thought MIU was kinda underrated... it's definitely not a good album, but it's not awful. Though maybe it's because I was immediately won over with She's Got Rhythm  LOL
What's the best song from LA?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:23:03 PM by Judd » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »

Mike did at least have the kindness to first record a version solely in English just for you.  Smiley

Yeah, I haven't listened to First Love in ages but I don't actually remember it being quite that fast...
Nicko1234
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »

I wonder why that might be.  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx