gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680960 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 06:46:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best songs from their worst albums  (Read 15920 times)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:53:49 AM »

Although MIU and LA are sub-par albums, everyone seems to have at least one song they like from them. Not many people seem to have a problem with "My Diane" or "Good Timin'". Even "Goin' On" from freakin' KTSA gets a fair amount of praise here. It doesn't seem that every track is terrible - it's just that there's the occasional big stinker that goes and ruins everything. More or less everyone hates "Belles of Paris" and the 10-minute disco version of "Here Comes The Night". Do you think if you were to compile all the more tolerable tracks from the BB's worst albums, it would make something worth listening to?

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:37:31 AM »

I have such a mix, and I listen to it occasionally....Good Timin', Going On, Baby Blue, Angel Come Home, Where I Belong, Somewhere Near Japan, Lahaina Aloha, among a few others.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:51:13 AM »

The thing that annoys me about Belles of Paris is not so much the song itself, which is OK on its own, but that it seems to be the "structural template" for almost every Mike Love song written since, or maybe before for all I know, which would mean it wouldn't be the template, but anyway they all seem to be built around that same unimaginative pattern.  As for MIU, my favorite is Matchpoint.  Always has been, always will be. Maybe Sweet Sunday Kind Of Love second.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »

Where I Belong is one of my all time favourites and it's on one of The BB's worst albums ever, second only to you know what...

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »

Crack At Your Love

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »

In My Car Cool Guy

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »

Beach Boys '78-'92

1. My Diane
2. Match Point of Our Love
3. Good Timin'
4. Angel Come Home
5. Love Surrounds Me
6. Baby Blue
7. Goin' On
8. Getcha Back
9. Where I Belong
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. In My Car
12. Kokomo
13. Lahaina Aloha

It's not particularly cohesive, but I'd be quite satisfied with this in terms of overall listening experience.  I mean, if they went 14 years without making any albums -- stockpiling recordings along the way -- and then suddenly this appeared, I wouldn't be doing much complaining.  Add the best stuff from the maligned 15 Big Ones and the standout one-off singles/unreleased songs and you could come up with a few more.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:41:25 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »

Goin' On is just as good as many of the group's classic tracks IMO.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »

my diane, goin' on, summer in paradise, still cruisin', getcha back

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »

LA in it's entirety, as-is, is one of the The Beach Boys best albums IMO
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »

I agree lists and comparisons are fun, but best songs from worst albums? c'mon...
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »

I honestly don't get the love for "Good Timin'" or "Goin' On". They're fine, catchy songs but very Beach-Boys-by-numbers to me, and they're maybe classics compared to the rest of the group's late-'70s/entire '80s catalogue -- though I think even that is a stretch -- they're nowhere near the standards of the '60s or early-'70s.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »

I don't get anyone who calls themselves a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan and can't recognize a great tune from his pen. But what a lotta folks around here are best at is disliking the band's music, and talking about it incessantly.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »

I don't get anyone who calls themselves a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan and can't recognize a great tune from his pen. But what a lotta folks around here are best at is disliking the band's music, and talking about it incessantly.
That's eerily true.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »

I have such a mix, and I listen to it occasionally....Good Timin', Going On, Baby Blue, Angel Come Home, Where I Belong, Somewhere Near Japan, Lahaina Aloha, among a few others.

I gave it a shot, too. Took three songs from each album. It's OK...

The Beach Boys : It's OK  1976 - 1992

1. Back Home
2. It's OK
3. Palisades Park
4. Roller Skating Child
5. The Night Was So Young
6. I'll Bet He's Nice
7. Matchpoint Of Our Love
8. My Diane
9. Pitter Patter
10. Baby Blue
11. Lady Lynda
12. Good Timin'
13. Sunshine
14. Livin' With A Heartache
15. Goin' On
16. Getcha Back
17. She Believes In Love Again
18. Where I Belong
19. Still Cruisin'
20. Kokomo
21. Somewhere Near Japan
22. Hot Fun In The Summertime
23. Lahaina Aloha
24. Summer In Paradise
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »

I honestly don't get the love for "Good Timin'" or "Goin' On". They're fine, catchy songs but very Beach-Boys-by-numbers to me, and they're maybe classics compared to the rest of the group's late-'70s/entire '80s catalogue -- though I think even that is a stretch -- they're nowhere near the standards of the '60s or early-'70s.
Beach-Boys-by-numbers is a bad thing? I would think that by the numbers means comparing them to their old 60s and early 70s sound. Not a bad thing, a Beach Boys thing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »

1976-1992 - 3 Songs per Album

It's OK
Palisades Park
Back Home
Let Us Go On This Way
Roller Skating Child
Honkin' Down The Highway
Peggy Sue
Kona Coast
Pitter Patter
Good Timin'
Angel Come Home
Baby Blue
Keepin' The Summer Alive
Some of Your Love
Goin' On
Getcha Back
It's Gettin' Late
Male Ego
Somewhere Near Japan
Kokomo
Make It Big
Hot Fun In The Summertime
Strange Things Happen
Lahaina Aloha

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 11:12:58 PM »

Beach-Boys-by-numbers is a bad thing? I would think that by the numbers means comparing them to their old 60s and early 70s sound. Not a bad thing, a Beach Boys thing.

It is when they're a group capable of much better songwriting, even during the time period(s) in question as unreleased tracks help show. I think "Stevie", for example, is a far better contemporaneous tune from the pen of BW than either of the above-mentioned songs.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »

Yes.  Lahaina Aloha.  Played it twenty times in a row the first time around. Didn't mind the rest of that album either, as a whole. Some of it not so much, but what the heck.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »

It is when they're a group capable of much better songwriting, even during the time period(s) in question as unreleased tracks help show. I think "Stevie", for example, is a far better contemporaneous tune from the pen of BW than either of the above-mentioned songs.

Yeah, and God Only Knows is a far better composition than I Know There's An Answer. Nevertheless, both are great. If Good Timin' and Goin' On had gone unreleased, and Stevie had been released, their roles would switch anyway. The grass is always greener in the tape vault.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 09:17:46 AM »

If Good Timin' and Goin' On had gone unreleased, and Stevie had been released, their roles would switch anyway. The grass is always greener in the tape vault.

BB Proverbs 1:1-2.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 09:18:11 AM »

Brian's take on Good timin on the C50 tour was one of my favorites. It felt closer to 1974 version he never finished.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »

Yes.  Lahaina Aloha.  Played it twenty times in a row the first time around. Didn't mind the rest of that album either, as a whole. Some of it not so much, but what the heck.
Yes!  Wink
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »

Yeah, and God Only Knows is a far better composition than I Know There's An Answer. Nevertheless, both are great. If Good Timin' and Goin' On had gone unreleased, and Stevie had been released, their roles would switch anyway. The grass is always greener in the tape vault.

...but I don't think the two released songs are great, I find them to be an imitation of what "The Beach Boys" should sound like -- except that it's because the group recording them is in fact The Beach Boys they're thought better of than being just-fine songs -- and I wouldn't think they were great even if they were unreleased. But I'll turn in my Beach Boys badge if you want I guess, dude.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »

Keep it. More great Brian Wilson music for me to enjoy, dude.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx