gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681083 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 08:04:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian article in Pollstar!  (Read 3073 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2017, 07:58:33 AM »

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=829066

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Scaroline No
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »

This made me happy  Cheesy

I've been trying to decide whether I want to wait and see if Brian returns to Toronto at some point in the future, or make the trek to Winnipeg in April to catch another Pet Sounds show before the 2017 tour ends. After reading this I'm still not sure what I'm going to do (I might just have to just fly to Winnipeg on my own, sans compadres) but it does give me some hope that he'll be swinging back to Toronto again at some point.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »

The article is indeed implying that there are more 2017 dates after the two month March-May stretch. It's unclear whether they'll be PS shows, though they're talking of more markets they didn't hit already, which makes me think it's more PS shows.

I *was* kind of hoping they might consider at least a shorty "Smile" tour before the end of the year; I'd love to hear Al and Matt sing on the "Smile" stuff.

I'm thinking it's unlikely; Brian has apparently said he's not into singing the super verbose songs like "Surf's Up" much anymore.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Scaroline No
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »

I *was* kind of hoping they might consider at least a shorty "Smile" tour before the end of the year; I'd love to hear Al and Matt sing on the "Smile" stuff.

Me too, so much!

I'm thinking it's unlikely; Brian has apparently said he's not into singing the super verbose songs like "Surf's Up" much anymore.

Drat. But minds do change... and perhaps he'd give the OK for Matt Jardine to tackle the heavy lifting on these? I'd be all over that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:32:47 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »

I could envision Brian dusting off "Surf's Up" again at random intervals, and he apparently did share the lead with Matt on the 2015 performances of the song.

But if he generally isn't into the strain of singing those wordy songs, I can't envision a full-length "Smile" tour where he's doing those songs over and over and over every night. But yes, he certainly could hand off some leads to others.

As blasphemous as it sounds, I've been kind of hoping Brian would give "Heroes and Villains" to Al to sing once in awhile; Al always sounds great singing that one.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Scaroline No
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:59 AM »

As blasphemous as it sounds, I've been kind of hoping Brian would give "Heroes and Villains" to Al to sing once in awhile; Al always sounds great singing that one.

I don't think that sounds blasphemous at all, I'd love to hear Al on that!

This is totally self-indulgent because I'm currently obsessed with it... but man it would be cool to see Brian perform Rio Grande live with the Wondermints. Not as vocally challenging as Smile in it's entirety, and obviously it would be just a piece of the overall setlist, but I could see this being really great.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »

Me too! Please, Brian, please.

Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »

Wilson says he hasn’t spoken to Love in four and a half years, but seems to harbor no ill will toward his famously contentious cousin. When asked if the press reports of bad blood between the two were correct, Wilson curtly said “no,” and insists the tour ended at the time all members had agreed on.

https://youtu.be/Yd0fBXwDBmo

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »

Not much in this interview....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »

Wilson says he hasn’t spoken to Love in four and a half years, but seems to harbor no ill will toward his famously contentious cousin. When asked if the press reports of bad blood between the two were correct, Wilson curtly said “no,” and insists the tour ended at the time all members had agreed on.

https://youtu.be/Yd0fBXwDBmo

Brian regularly just shuts off angles in interviews where they try to get him to go after Mike. This is his C50 version of "the Smile tapes were destroyed."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:50:48 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »

Brian fails to throw gasoline onto the various 'Love' bonfires.  In doing so he does his part to deescalate the 'love' style poison which eats at the foundation of the band's brand's legacy.  It's absolutely the best plan there is.   Mike?  Mike who?  Huh?  Subject closed.

Brian remains the artist and that 'love' guy continues to own the distinct and vintage role of the gas station pump boy.   Brian simply outclasses his saxophone diddling and loathsome cousin.  How?  When he merely does and says nothing  Brian wins every time.  Dumb like a fox he won't fall for Mr.' Nourishment and Revenge's' weak-assed attempts at that a fore mentioned revenge.

And all the fuss over at that psuedo Beach Boys site...you know the one named after the album that 'love' character claimed was 'fucking with the formula'...who cares?  I don't bother with it.  Why?  It just isn't there.  Take Brian's lead.  Ignore them.  They don't exist.  Really.  Truly.  Honestly.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:42:38 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »

Brian fails to throw gasoline onto the various 'Love' bonfires.  In doing so he does his part to deescalate the 'love' style poison which eats at the foundation of the band's brand's legacy.  It's absolutely the best plan there is.   Mike?  Mike who?  Huh?  Subject closed.

Brian remains the artist and that 'love' guy continues to own the distinct and vintage role of the gas station pump boy.   Brian simply outclasses his saxophone diddling and loathsome cousin.  How?  When he merely does and says nothing  Brian wins every time.  Dumb like a fox he won't fall for Mr.' Nourishment and Revenge's' weak-assed attempts at that a fore mentioned revenge.

And all the fuss over at that psuedo Beach Boys site...you know the one named after the album that 'love' character claimed was 'fucking with the formula'...who cares?  I don't bother with it.  Why?  It just isn't there.  Take Brian's lead.  Ignore them.  They don't exist.  Really.  Truly.  Honestly.

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

(a 10-woot rating...highest ever recorded as far as I know)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »

But what about the big news that Brian is going to put out a rock n roll album?

"Next year I think we are going to record an album. I haven’t written any songs yet, but it’s going to be a rock ‘n’ roll album!”
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »

Great post, Lee. I'd be happy to buy you lunch sometime.  High Five  (and yes, GF, you broke the record)   Happy Dance

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »

"Next year I think we are going to record an album. I haven’t written any songs yet, but it’s going to be a rock ‘n’ roll album!”
Recording isn't a priority these days for the obvious reason - they don't bring the $$$ in; concerts do.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »

Assuming you're joking about "big news." For how many years now has Brian been saying some variation of that same statement? Many a "this year" and "next year" have passed without that unicorn of an album!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx