gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680995 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 08:08:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211893 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: January 16, 2013, 06:20:23 AM »

So help me God, if I ever make a concerted effort to write Mike Love fan fiction I'll be the craziest SOB on this board.

*hides 300 pages worth of coffee and blood stained notes, detailing the fall and fall of Mike Love as he travels through his depraved opium visions*

Dude, please do that. I'll give you cake.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 16, 2013, 06:27:32 AM »

"I'll show them who can party. Mike Love's still got it!"

He closed his eyes and snorted the line off the mixing board. The 70's he never knew. He regained his focus, strode confidently into the vocal booth, flipped the recording engineer off to show he was ready, and intoned huskily into the mic,

"Better Get Back In Bed, Take 4"

LOL
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: January 16, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »

I'd read it!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 16, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »

I'd read it!

Me too! Now, if Hypehat would crawl out of that bed, kick himself around a bit, shed the dope and the booze, and staple his scribblings together, and seek a publisher...

...or better still: if he'd send that uncorrected manuscript that's on his external hard drive and simply post it to Amazon... it could in theory be availble for Kindle next month...

...I'd pre-order!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 16, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »

Now look, lads, as much as I'd love to write Naked Lunch retooled to the depths of Mike Love's psyche... I.... I...  Goddammit, looks like I should dig out the opium, bourbon, and the Remington and get to work....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 16, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »

waddabout 50 Shades of Love?

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: January 16, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »

Now look, lads, as much as I'd love to write Naked Lunch retooled to the depths of Mike Love's psyche...

I could feel the Kokomo closing in, feel Endless Summer out there making it's moves, setting up their surfboard stool pigeons, crooning over my TM books I throw away at LAX, vault a turnstile and two flights up the iron stairs, catch a private plane... Young, good looking, crew cut, Ivy League advertising exec type Van Dyke Parks holds the door back for me. I am evidently his idea of a character.

Did I ever tell you about the man who taught his Bruce Johnston to talk?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:00:23 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 16, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »

The pop singer doesn't sell his song to the audience, he sells the audience to his song. He does not improve and simplify his music. He degrades and simplifies the listener.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: January 16, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »

Could the release of MiC follow the same pattern as that of the Pet Sounds Sessions set?

Booklet issues? Exerting influence on the biographical info?

Nope.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 16, 2013, 06:34:43 PM »

waddabout 50 Shades of Love?
yeesh!!! Shocked      LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 16, 2013, 11:40:52 PM »

Could the release of MiC follow the same pattern as that of the Pet Sounds Sessions set?

Nope.

Ooh how many guesses do we get before you tell?!?!

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 17, 2013, 05:23:31 AM »

Nope.

Ooh how many guesses do we get before you tell?!?!

Maybe they're recording new stuff?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #537 on: January 17, 2013, 07:26:59 AM »

Nope.

How about this then, Andrew?: Is the boxset delayed because of certain members of the group pettily insisting on more of their own compositions being included on the box - regardless of the quality of said compositions? Or even worse, is it delayed because of certain members of the group pettily insisting on less compositions from certain (possibly dead) other members of the group?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 17, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »

Mike has threatened to declare war - actual, internationally valid, UN grade, total war - on Capitol if they don't put the complete Manson sessions on there.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 17, 2013, 08:15:20 AM »

Rather than opinions of certain band members on the other members songs, I wouldn't be surprised if the delay had something to do with lack of confidence/indecision on certain songs of their own. Brian Wilson being kind of flip-floppy with opinions of his own material (He can go from "It's sh*t." to "So proud of this one, a personal favourite." in the course of like, 5 years and sometimes the opposite!) shouldn't come as surprise to anyone.

As long as it's not at the expense of other material being kicked off the box, I am very much in favour for more material on the box.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 17, 2013, 08:54:39 AM »

Given that this is likely to be the definitive statement on the band's career, I wouldn't consider it petty at all for any of them to insist on certain songs being included. If, say, Mike considers Everyone's In Love With You to be his most important song, the one thing that he would want to be remembered for by future generations (I have no evidence at all that this is the case) then pushing for its inclusion would make perfect sense.

For all that I love the GV box, I do think the fact that the people who compiled it had a distinct prejudice in favour of Brian (and to a lesser extent Dennis) did the other band members a disservice. I don't want the box to be five CDs of "The Suzie Cincinnati Sessions" or "First Love, The Definitive Edition", but it'd be nice if, for example, the booklet mentioned Al Jardine more than four times...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 17, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »

Given that this is likely to be the definitive statement on the band's career, I wouldn't consider it petty at all for any of them to insist on certain songs being included. If, say, Mike considers Everyone's In Love With You to be his most important song, the one thing that he would want to be remembered for by future generations (I have no evidence at all that this is the case) then pushing for its inclusion would make perfect sense.

For all that I love the GV box, I do think the fact that the people who compiled it had a distinct prejudice in favour of Brian (and to a lesser extent Dennis) did the other band members a disservice. I don't want the box to be five CDs of "The Suzie Cincinnati Sessions" or "First Love, The Definitive Edition", but it'd be nice if, for example, the booklet mentioned Al Jardine more than four times...

My understanding is Mike is holding up production because he wants his demo version of " (Bop Bop) On the Beach" included...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: January 17, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »

Problem is Beach Boy music in general tends to be slanted in favor of Brian. I would say Dennis is a BIT under-represented on the GV boxset. The rest, not so much. I mean, I like 'looking for tomorrow' a lot, but if I've only got 4 or 5 songs to include of Surf's UP, it's just not going to be one of them.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: January 17, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »

Nope.

How about this then, Andrew?: Is the boxset delayed because of certain members of the group pettily insisting on more of their own compositions being included on the box - regardless of the quality of said compositions? Or even worse, is it delayed because of certain members of the group pettily insisting on less compositions from certain (possibly dead) other members of the group?

I can answer the last point (clumsily made as it is...) with a categorical "no". Why not just say "Is Mike vetoing Dennis' stuff ?" Answer's still "no".
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:20:21 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 17, 2013, 09:21:02 AM »

Problem is Beach Boy music in general tends to be slanted in favor of Brian. I would say Dennis is a BIT under-represented on the GV boxset. The rest, not so much. I mean, I like 'looking for tomorrow' a lot, but if I've only got 4 or 5 songs to include of Surf's UP, it's just not going to be one of them.

Al had *one* solo song (California) and *one* song where he was the primary co-writer (All This Is That) on the box. Even given that he's by far the least strong of the five original band members as a writer, surely room could have been found for, say, Lady Lynda? And Looking Down The Coast would have been a much better option for an unreleased late-70s track than Our Team.

Yes, Brian is both the best and most prolific of the band's songwriters, by a long long way, and any tracklist would have to reflect that. But I wouldn't think it unreasonable if Al were to argue that a whole *four* songs out of 150 should be by him, say.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 17, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »

I hope they are finally finishing "sherry she needs me" for the boxset. 3D

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 17, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »

Been listening to Landlocked boots these last couple of days… lots of stuff there I'd love to hear in properly mastered/speed corrected form where necessary. Landlocked might have been a bogus album title but there's some good music gathered under that title.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 17, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »

Maybe they can't decide on a cover image.

Simple as...

Right?

...Right?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: January 17, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »

And Looking Down The Coast would have been a much better option for an unreleased late-70s track than Our Team.

I VEHEMENTLY DISAGREE! OUR TEAM IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BEACH BOYS SONGS!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 17, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »

Been listening to Landlocked boots these last couple of days… lots of stuff there I'd love to hear in properly mastered/speed corrected form where necessary. Landlocked might have been a bogus album title but there's some good music gathered under that title.

Big Sur 4/4 at least - what a gem.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx