gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680995 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 08:11:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 572657 times)
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: October 10, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »

I say, let the youths decide. Those of us that are indie rock snobs, etc.

We say.....

NO!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: October 10, 2012, 02:00:07 PM »

I disagree. Regardless of the artistic quality, The Beach Boys are one of the greatest bands of all time, and deserve to have their entire catologue out there. If The Beatles and Pink Floyd do, The Beach Boys should. Many lesser groups with even lesser albums have their whole shebang out there, and so should The Beach Boys. Geez, if freakin' Elvis can have all those goofy ass soundtracks he made re-released, The Beach Boys should be afforded the same respect.

And by the way, I think 15 Big Ones and L.A. are pretty sweet.

They ARE still out there in twofer form. I really like 15 Big Ones and M.I.U. - I just don't see any point in having them re-released.

At least "Keepin' The Summer Alive / The Beach Boys" and "15 Big Ones / Love You" seem to be still available.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:06:59 PM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: October 10, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »

It truthfully hurts the band's legacy. If they only re-released everything through Holland along with Love You, the youngsters of the world would have a pretty good "Beach Boys canon" to sift through without any real misfires. Keep the rest in print for posterity and historical value though.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: October 10, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »

I love 15 Big Ones and so does BW himself. Also, this is an album that could actually benefit from a decent remaster.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: October 10, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »

I'd buy remasters of 12 of the 13 listed: the Christmas album has been reissued every year since 1812 though - there's an issue due any time now if not already - so I could skip that.

But I'd like to hear some of these albums redone from the ground up. 15 BOs, Love You and MiU for starters.

“We live in divisive times.”
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: October 10, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »

15 Big Ones needs to be re-released with Brian's "hot" mixes and with the outtakes from those sessions -- some of which were better than what was on the album proper! -- appended after the original LP running order. The rest of those albums can be left to die quietly as they ought to while the better cuts appear (with period-appropriate rarities) on that box set.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: October 10, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »

Someone mentioned a stripped down version of Beach Boys 85. I think that would be a really interesting release.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: October 10, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »

Christmas needs to come out in mono, same with Concert.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: October 10, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »

Someone mentioned a stripped down version of Beach Boys 85. I think that would be a really interesting release.

That was me, I agree.

KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: October 10, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »

Should it be called The Beach Boys Naked?

Imagine Mike Love's balls!  Afro
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: October 10, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »

The Beach Boys really Love you

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »

The Naughty Grandpas.  Cool Guy
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: October 10, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »

Maybe they could do deluxe versions of some of the albums they haven't released yet. It's too bad they already did Sunflower - I could easily see that as a 3 disc box.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: October 10, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »

I know I'm in the minority but I'd still like to see a complete discography, maybe one with all the Capitol albums and another for the 1970-Still Cruisin' years, each with bonus discs with non-album tracks.  Kind of like what was done with The Beatles and Led Zeppelin catalogues though it would have to be two sets because of the amount of material.  But still, it's something I would want to see.

positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: October 10, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »

Amazon seems to be the cheapest place to buy these per track at $0.99. Does anyone know of anywhere cheaper per track?

I had hoped to buy the full albums, but over the weekend had to buy a new fuel pump.  Sad And, so I'm hoping to buy just the mono songs I don't already have.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2290 on: October 10, 2012, 06:00:16 PM »

Finally got my CDs in the mail today.  I picked up the deluxe 50 Big Ones, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Smiley Smile and Today!.  Been spending the afternoon/evening configuring my iPod with these new discs.  I haven't really had a chance to listen to these albums very closely, but I immediately noticed a difference in terms of fidelity.  It sounds like Linett was shooting for a more "vinyl" sound with all these albums.

Sunflower - There is definitely a noticeable difference in this remaster when compared to the two-fer that came out back in 2000.  Everything sounds fuller and more fresh.  Haven't really played this one in its entirety yet.
Surf's Up - It sounds like the overall volume and thickness in the mastering has been reduced slightly.  Even when you compare some of these tracks to the mixes found on the Warmth of the Sun complilations, they seem a little quieter overall.  Sounds like Linett was going for the "less is more" approach. 
Today! - Only listened to it briefly.  Sounds good though.
Smiley Smile - Ditto!  Not sure if I'm liking the "stereo" version of "Good Vibrations". 
50 Big Ones - I love the stereo mixes of "Wild Honey" and "Darlin'"!  And everything on the compilation sounds like it received a fresh coat of paint!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: October 10, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »

Biggest improvement on an existing stereo mix= "We'll Run Away"

WOW.

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: October 10, 2012, 07:43:53 PM »

It was really wonderful to see the Beach Boys with four or five slots filled with single albums at Best Buy, of all places.  Finally, I feel as though their catalog is getting the respect it deserves.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: October 10, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

You should have seen how it used to be, with actual record stores stocking their product.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: October 10, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »

Did Holland get a remaster this year? I know it's not a part of the 12 album deal, but I thought I read someone say they found a digital version of a new Holland remaster. Or maybe I was dreaming lol.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: October 10, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »

Did Holland get a remaster this year? I know it's not a part of the 12 album deal, but I thought I read someone say they found a digital version of a new Holland remaster. Or maybe I was dreaming lol.

It is being offered on iTunes and Amazon but it might be the same as the twofer version.  I don't own the twofer so I wouldn't know.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: October 11, 2012, 07:23:53 AM »

It is being offered on iTunes and Amazon but it might be the same as the twofer version.  I don't own the twofer so I wouldn't know.

The version on itunes is titled "Holland (Remastered)" and is said to have been released September 21, 2012.

Does anyone know if it is a 2012 remaster?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: October 11, 2012, 08:25:12 AM »

I'm in total agreement that there's no need for those albums, actually. Especially if the upcoming box set is comprehensive and covers the highlights from those albums in remastered quality.

Speaking of which, I hope they release Brian's lead take on "Oh Darlin' "! that would be dandy...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: October 11, 2012, 08:34:28 AM »

I'm in total agreement that there's no need for those albums, actually. Especially if the upcoming box set is comprehensive and covers the highlights from those albums in remastered quality.

Speaking of which, I hope they release Brian's lead take on "Oh Darlin' "! that would be dandy...

I've heard of this but never actually heard it. Where can it be found currently?  Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: October 11, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »

The version on itunes is titled "Holland (Remastered)" and is said to have been released September 21, 2012.

Does anyone know if it is a 2012 remaster?

On Spotify, the Holland that came up with all the remasters was listed as the 2000 remaster.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx