gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680900 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 04:20:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brother Records YouTube Copyright Claims  (Read 4116 times)
XY
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:48:49 PM »

Hello,
They once again deleted my Smile Mix, which is no problem of course. I'm just wondering why they always delete such things but that it's apparently no problem that the complete Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile & Wild Honey albums are available, also Brian's SMiLE & more complete albums. I think they should start there. Thanks.

On another note, Sony asked to remove the "Holy Man" video, because they want to make it available on YouTube after clearing some legal problems.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 07:53:32 AM »

Brother Records are such a pain.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:54:17 AM »

Why doesnt Brothers Records freakin' release something instead of just policing youtube....
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »

Why doesnt Brothers Records freakin' release something instead of just policing youtube....

Maybe they have something special in the pipeline

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
thebaron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »

Someone has to justify their job.
Jason
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:45:03 PM »

Smart idea to bash BRI when THEY READ THE BOARD.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »

Then let's hope they read the board, gauge the mood and RELEASE SOMETHING! Can't get enough of the stuff...

Mind you, remember how all the SMiLE boots got taken off eBay once it was decided that Brian was going to restart work on it? Perhaps this is a harbinger of things to come?

Can't get enough of that sweet, sweet  stuff...

“We live in divisive times.”
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »

Good....READ THIS......GET THIS STUFF OUT TO THE PUBLIC!

Jasp
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 11:46:56 PM »

Well, this was the third copyright complaint for that account and what happens when you get 3? They delete the complete account. So I wrote this in shock condition, forgive me dear Brother Records...
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 01:09:10 AM »

How does that work?  Does BRI just e-mail YouTube and it gets taken down immediately and your account removed, or does YouTube investigate?  My understanding is that the copyright holders themselves have to show proof that they do own the rights to the material, not just anybody.  So, that might take some time to prove that they do own the rights to the material.  Does YouTube give you a warning and ask you to remove the video first, or do they just take it down and notify you after the fact (or do they even notify you at all that you violated the rules and are taking down a video you posted and/or suspending your account)?
XY
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 08:17:34 AM »

After copyright complaints, YouTube deletes videos without warning. The uploader then receives an email like

This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by Brother Records Inc claiming that this material is infringing.

Don't know how exactly it works, but Brother was able to delete Brian Wilson Solo material, so they obvioulsy don't take it too exact with the rights.
But it's clear, every fan who uploades BB material knows that he has no rights to do that, except maybe personal concert videos.
Brother should do himself a favor and open an official account. Don't underestimate the promotional aspect of YouTube. There are already a couple of official Knebworth clips by Eagle Entertainment BTW. And no, I'm not the funny person who runs the Bootleg account Brother Records.  Cheesy
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 01:03:43 PM »

Brother probably makes any and all complaints on behalf of the Beach Boys because they filed the paperwork with YouTube.  The way I read their terms of service, you have to submit written proof that you are the holder of the rights to certain works before they will take action.  Maybe BRI submitted this paperwork a long time ago, and claimed blanket rights to object to anything having to do with Beach Boys/BRI members or songs.  So, for example, if someone posts a video of Brian doing "Love and Mercy," BRI can lodge a complaint on behalf of BRI member Brian, even though that song is not something BRI has the actual rights to.

Thanks for clarifying how it worked in your case, Jasper.  I now regularly download favorite YouTube videos using Miro because I realize that YouTube might take them down.  They seem to do it a lot more since Google took them over. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:05:32 PM by forget marie » Logged
chrismooremusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »

Maybe they have something special in the pipeline

I hope they do!!! :-)

-Chris

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:04:42 PM »

They have to be a pain, to some degree, because if you neglect your rights you can lose them, or at least endanger them.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »

3D I recently had all 4 of my Bugaloos music videos removed by YouTube.  Angry This is a mean and insensistive way to do this. Here is my idea. Though it probably is falling on deaf ears.

1. If there is an infringement, YouTube should send an email to let the person know how they can comply to send the viewer's eyes to the copyright parties. Such as I have for Carlene Carter's videos

2. If they refuse to do that in an alotted time. Give them an email requesting they remove the videos in an alotted time, or YouTube will.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx