gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 11:13:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: brianwilson.com - New TLOS VIdeo  (Read 31478 times)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »

Really cool clip.....much more excited for the album now!

And cool cover art to boot

Agreed 100%.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 09:30:59 AM »

can't wait to read the linear notes by david leaf Roll Eyes
SurfingJorge
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »

I'm very happy for Brian and will gladly buy the album as the songs sound wonderful.  I'm probably in the minority here though, but quite frankly I'm still more excited about POB/Bambu than TLOS.  Can't really post that on the Blueboard without getting crucified by the Brianistas but that's the way I feel. 

I'm a cork on the ocean
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 01:18:49 PM »

I'm very happy for Brian and will gladly buy the album as the songs sound wonderful.  I'm probably in the minority here though, but quite frankly I'm still more excited about POB/Bambu than TLOS.  Can't really post that on the Blueboard without getting crucified by the Brianistas but that's the way I feel. 
Actually you're probably in the majority with that sentiment. As a non-Dennis fan, I've been feeling mighty lonely this spring/summer.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »

Actually you're probably in the majority with that sentiment. As a non-Dennis fan, I've been feeling mighty lonely this spring/summer.

I believe the sentiment on the Blueboard is one of fairly equal enthusiasm for both albums. Possibly the excitement is more skewed toward Brian because it's Brian's board, but with the exception of a couple of people, most people are giving POB high praise. Now, if Mike Love's album ever comes out...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »

I believe the sentiment on the Blueboard is one of fairly equal enthusiasm for both albums. Possibly the excitement is more skewed toward Brian because it's Brian's board, but with the exception of a couple of people, most people are giving POB high praise. Now, if Mike Love's album ever comes out...

Mike Love mugs and pencils all around  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »

I hate Brian's website. The videos never work on my computer.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »

My camp is a particular one, I'm a fan of both Dennis and Brian; but I'm more excited about TLOS because Brian's a A+ composer in my mind, and Dennis is an A- composer.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
SG7
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 07:53:26 PM »

Lots of camera time with Brian and Scott and not much of anyone else... wonder how they all feel about that?

I'm excited and I can't wait for this too, but I do agree with some of you it does sound a little... too processed? And for person blaming the Wondermints for all of this needs to shut their trap. Without them we would not have gotten a lot of things (for example... do we all remember SMiLE or is that becoming a distant memory for some of you?? Funny how times change...) I don't think it is right to really blame anyone. At the end of the day, it is how Brian feels about the work. From the looks of it here, he definately seems interested.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 12:33:52 PM »

At the end of the day, it is how Brian feels about the work. From the looks of it here, he definately seems interested.

Video footage can be edited or set up to achieve the desired result, notably in the case of the Imagination sessions.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »

At the end of the day, it is how Brian feels about the work. From the looks of it here, he definately seems interested.

Video footage can be edited or set up to achieve the desired result, notably in the case of the Imagination sessions.

Well, we know he was excited about TLOS at the time of the London premiere, according to Scott. We know he was excited about the prospect of recording it. So... I guess they just took snippets where he randomly looked happy and energetic? Whatever. From what I can hear, it came out sounding great, despite the change in personnel. I hope Brian is still excited about the material, because he has every right to be, backstage politics or no.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »

Lots of camera time with Brian and Scott and not much of anyone else... wonder how they all feel about that?

I'm excited and I can't wait for this too, but I do agree with some of you it does sound a little... too processed? And for person blaming the Wondermints for all of this needs to shut their trap. Without them we would not have gotten a lot of things (for example... do we all remember SMiLE or is that becoming a distant memory for some of you?? Funny how times change...) I don't think it is right to really blame anyone. At the end of the day, it is how Brian feels about the work. From the looks of it here, he definately seems interested.
The argument you make is decent, but in my opinion slightly auto-tuning the vocals (which I'm not saying was done, but could've been done) is not that worse than adding echo chambers and doubling the vocals (which Brian has done for over 40 years). Also it is evident Brian can still sing very well in tune at concerts, at witnessed by the undubbed live TLOS tape I have.

And I too am sick of the polarising effect of message boards. BW.com gives you the positive, but I hate these boards (no disrepect to any specific posters) that have the immediate negative effect: BWPS-too many keyboards! auto-tuned singing! Darian participation! TLOS Promo faked vocals! faked studio scenes! Too much Scott participation!!! Enough already.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »

Well, besides Bob Dylan, name me one big artist from the '60s era that is doing anything interesting?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »

Brian's a A+ composer in my mind, and Dennis is an A- composer.
See, for me Brian peaks at an A+ and mostly hovers around the Bs, and Dennis peaks around a B, but mostly hovers in the C or C- range.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 03:36:55 PM »

Well, besides Bob Dylan, name me one big artist from the '60s era that is doing anything interesting?
McCartney, Memory Almost Full was superb and a minor hit.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 03:39:42 PM »

Brian's a A+ composer in my mind, and Dennis is an A- composer.
See, for me Brian peaks at an A+ and mostly hovers around the Bs, and Dennis peaks around a B, but mostly hovers in the C or C- range.
Well, he peaks at an A+ for me too, but what I am constantly amazed with Brian is his efficiency with melodies. I'd say 50% of his songs have average-below average-terrible lyrics, but only about 20 or so have melodies I genuinely dislike or that aren't catchy in some way. He's one of the greatest melodists of all time, even "Male Ego" and "I'm So Lonely," had memorable melodies and I've caught myself singing the hook to 'Smart Girls" once or twice. Few other songwriters have 95% memorable melodies.

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »

That album was just another regular collection of Paul McCartney pop songs. About as interesting as an album by Boston during the time when "Never Mind the Bollocks" came out. "Memory Almost Full" doesn't even register in the greater McCartney pantheon.

I think what Brian has undertaken here is far more ambitious.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »

^Tom Waits is very nearly of that era, even though he wasn't known as early on. And he has done very interesting work pretty consistently. I'd argue more consistently than anyone else of that era, including Dylan.

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »

Absolutely, but I'd hardly consider him a '60s artist, since his first album came out in 1973. He's closer to the punk era. Right around the same time as the New York Dolls and the Ramones.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 03:45:16 PM »

Still, if the idea is longevity, it seems like nitpicking to say a guy whose career is now at 35 years is much different than one whose career is at 40, for example. And he is about the same age as those other "legends," if I'm not mistaken. (Even though he looks old enough to be their father.)

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 03:54:56 PM »

Waits is 60 at the end of next year, just FYI. I don't think he looks that old, compared to some rock stars. I definitely think that there are two sorts of classic rockers, ones who are considered never to have gone crap, and ones who have.

Waits, Young and, yes, Brian are in the former, and I think Endless Wire went a long way to putting Pete Townshend in that category (even though he yo-yos in and out of it)

The Stones and McCartney are definitely in the latter, although I didn't mind Memory Almost Full.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 04:31:23 PM »

McCartney, Memory Almost Full was superb and a minor hit.
Yeah, that was a good one. McCartney never needed a comeback, he just keeps releasing mostly good albums without fanfarre. God bless him.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 10:37:17 PM »

That album was just another regular collection of Paul McCartney pop songs. About as interesting as an album by Boston during the time when "Never Mind the Bollocks" came out. "Memory Almost Full" doesn't even register in the greater McCartney pantheon.

I think what Brian has undertaken here is far more ambitious.
I highly disagree, Memory Almost Full was a heartfelt work, Macca talk about death on "End of the End," releases an out-and-out love song for Heather (whom I always disliked) with "See Your Sunshine" over a year after they parted company initially, writes a song for his daughter to dance to which is "Dance Tonight," talks about his past on "Ever Present Past" and writes a conceptual work about not know a person's mother (admittedly fictional) in the great "Only Mama Knows."

You can call McCartney a pop writer which he is; you can dislike him, I've hated several albums; and you can give MAF a negative review, I obviously didn't but this is America; but please don't call it standard. It's heartfelt, imperfect and Paul put a lot of hard work and ambition into it, and is most of all different, in my opinion anyway.

Sorry for the lecture, I meant no harm.

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 07:43:26 AM »

Put me in the enjoying Memory Almost Full category.  I would give it a slight edge over Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, but I really liked that one too.

I don't know if TLOS will do what those Macca albums did as far as sales though, unfortunately.  Last summer everytime I went to a bookstore or Starbucks they were playing Memory Almost Full so I highly doubt if Brian's camp can get that kind of guerrilla marketing going, but with the right marketing campaign I think it can do very well.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 08:00:30 AM »

Last summer everytime I went to a bookstore or Starbucks they were playing Memory Almost Full so I highly doubt if Brian's camp can get that kind of guerrilla marketing going, but with the right marketing campaign I think it can do very well.

Well, it helps that McCartney is now signed to the Starbucks label. Talk about exposure. And I believe Barnes & Noble cafes are run by Starbucks.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx