gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680914 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 01:20:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unreleased songs you feel should be officially released.  (Read 2808 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »

This can be about any artist, any genre in which you feel they have unreleased songs in their vaults that in your opinion should be released.
I'll get things started:
"Scream Thy Last Scream" by Pink Floyd deserves a official release. It's a great song, and Nick Mason does a pretty decent vocal. Probably never released because it marks Syd Barrett's breakdown or something. In any case, I think it's time for it to be released.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »

Because I Know You Love Me So by The Beatles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veHOrj4R6Bc&hd=1

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 12:11:06 AM »

Because I Know You Love Me So by The Beatles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veHOrj4R6Bc&hd=1
Wasn't there a snippet of this on Let it Be Naked?
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:22:24 AM »

Lucy Leave - Pink Floyd (A Wider Release as opposed to some Italian book sampler)
Vegetable Man - Pink Floyd
Hear It - The Rolling Stones
Big Sur (3/4) - Beach Boys
Carnival of Light - The Beatles

I thought I would have more, but the rest are all Beach Boys Grin

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »

Lucy Leave - Pink Floyd (A Wider Release as opposed to some Italian book sampler)
Vegetable Man - Pink Floyd
Hear It - The Rolling Stones
Big Sur (3/4) - Beach Boys
Carnival of Light - The Beatles

I thought I would have more, but the rest are all Beach Boys Grin

That's quite interesting. I'm surprised Carnival of Light was rejected from Anthology 2 because of George. Shame, really.
BTW, Lucy Leave was by the Tea Chest, which was a band that had Syd Barrett, Bob Klose, Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason. After that, Klose left and they changed their name to Pink Floyd. So very slightly different band
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »

Well McCartney has literally a ton of unreleased material specifically when it comes to "Wings" that hopefully will start to see the light of day as his archives series continues:

For starters there are the three tracks he recorded in the late seventies with the intent on them being the title songs for various films that were being released at the time: "Did We Meet Somewhere Before" ("Heaven Can Wait") "Same Time Next Year" (eponymous) and "Seems Like Old Times" (also eponymous).  To be fair, "Same Time Next Year" was released on one of the "Flowers In The Dirt" tour paks but really has never enjoyed the wide distribution it deserves.  

From there, there is an excellent outtake from the "London Town" sessions entitled "Waterspout" which would've probably been a huge hit for Wings if Macca had released it.  It's undeniably catchy and with the popularity of reggae music on the rise in the late seventies, it would've been right at home on the radio.

Also vaulted is an entire soundtrack that Wings cut in 1978 for a proposed "Rupert Bear" film that never materialized.  Macca serves as both narrator and performer on this soundtrack, providing listeners with the proposed plot to the film in between the songs which for the most part are excellent.

Finally special mention needs to go to a track that McCartney wrote in the late eighties entitled "In Liverpool".  While he apparently recorded a demo of the song for "Off The Ground", to my knowledge it was not properly recorded for that record.  The song is basically Macca's "In My Life" and while John Lennon's attempt at writing a song in that vein is far stronger than McCartney's, "In Liverpool" probably does deserve some attention.  McCartney has performed the song exactly twice, once in an unreleased film about "Liverpool Institute" entitled "Echoes" and again during a concert in Liverpool in 2008, I believe.  

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:20:26 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »

There's been some very quiet murmuring of a Syd box, in the style of the DSotM and WYWH ones, which would be awesome.

A box set to encompass their very earliest incarnation to the fateful day they decided to leave Syd home.

There's quite the list of material as well:
"I'm a King Bee"
"Lucy Leave"
"Butterfly"
"Double O Bo"
"Walk with Me Sydney"
"I Get Stoned (Stoned Alone)"*
"Pink Theme"*
"Flapdoodle Dealing" (The live version will have to do)
"Let's Roll Another One" (which turned into "Candy and a Currant Bun")
"She Was a Millionaire"*
"Scream Thy Last Scream"
"Reaction in G"
"Untitled"  (a.k.a Sunshine)
"Once in a Million" (Only live)
"Vegetable Man"
"In the Beechwoods"
"John Latham"
"Instrumental"
"Early Morning Henry"*
"Have You Got it Yet?" (very wishful thinking)

*If they can find the master tapes.

And that's all just unreleased songs. There's also a ton of live versions, alternate takes, the famous Golden Circle show in Sweden, maybe some session stuff from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets. The material is there, but is the audience?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:33:27 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »

You know what is a pet peeve of mine?  Artists who you know have a ton of unreleased material but you don't know exactly what does or does not actually exist:

Take Bruce Springsteen for example.  In discussing his "Born To Run" album he has repeatedly made mention that there was only one song that was recorded for that record that didn't make the cut: "Linda, Let Me Be The One" (which is featured on "Tracks").  However, Springsteen collectors know that not to be true, as there are at least three BTR tracks that didn't make the final hurdle.  The aforementioned "Linda..." and two others: "Walking In The Street" and "Lonely Night In The Park".  "Walking In The Street" is extremely "Thunder Road"-esque and "Lonely Night In The Park" is very similar to a song that Springsteen was performing live in concert at the time entitled "A Night Like This".  

But get this: Beyond those three known BTR tracks there are literally a ton of others, the song titles gleaned from Springsteen's lyrics notebooks (which are the size of telephone books) which may exist in either demo or completed form somewhere in the vault.  But nobody quite knows for sure if they "exist" anywhere else except in his notebooks.  All we know are the titles:

Angels Song~Baby & Me (Blondie)~Born To Be Alone~Born To Win~Down At The Club~Dual~Glory Road~Here She Comes Walkin'~Hiding On The River~Jr. Walker Groove (A Love So Fine)~Killer's Paradise (The Violent Ones)~Latin Song~Livin' In The Ghetto (Harlem)~Lonesome Town (Blondie)~Love And Defiance~Mary's Song~New Delinquent Lovers~Theme For An Imaginary Waitress (Fountainbleu Waltz)~Pretty Thing~Saint Jimmy's Dream~Sha La La~Shanghai~She Comes Unto My Room (Scene #1)~Shootout In Chinatown~Song For Orphans~Still There~Street Fight~The Street~The Street Goes On Forever~Surrender At The Citadel~Thunder Hill~Virgin Summer Nights~War And Roses~Wild Angels~Wild Billy's Lullaby~Wild Fire~Wild Ones~Wild Roses

While some of these are likely working titles for songs that eventually ended up on BTR, there is evidence to suggest that the majority of them are unreleased titles.  The question is whether or not any of them were ever committed to tape.  This is also not a practice that only pertains to BTR, almost all of Springsteen's records have considerable amounts of outtakes, although what exactly was committed to tape is again the unknown quantity.

Likewise another one of my favorite seventies bands, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers also allegedly have a copious amount of unreleased recordings but as is the case with Springsteen's archives what exists on paper and what exists on tape is still to be determined.  Take 1994's "Wildflowers" album for example.  Originally that was supposed to be a double LP/CD and it came out as a single disc.  So logic would dictate that there has to be a decent sized cache of unreleased tracks from those sessions.  A few of them apparently turned up on the soundtrack for "She's The One" in 1996 including one of last recordings of Carl Wilson ("Hung Up And Overdue").  In addition it is believed that the Rod Stewart single "Leave Virginia Alone" (written by Petty) was also originally going to feature on the double disc version of "Wildflowers".  There are existing copyright filings as it pertains to songs written during this time period but again it's unknown whether the titles registered for copyright actually exist as recordings or just on paper.

Frustrating to say the least.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:54:43 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »

ALL the Basement Tapes by Dylan and the Band

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 07:24:28 AM »

There's been some very quiet murmuring of a Syd box, in the style of the DSotM and WYWH ones, which would be awesome.

A box set to encompass their very earliest incarnation to the fateful day they decided to leave Syd home.

"I'm a King Bee"
"Lucy Leave"
"Butterfly"
"Double O Bo"
"Walk with Me Sydney"
"Pink Theme"*
"She Was a Millionaire"*
"Scream Thy Last Scream"
"Reaction in G"
"Untitled"  (a.k.a Sunshine)
"Vegetable Man"
"In the Beechwoods"
"John Latham"
"Instrumental"
"Early Morning Henry"*

And that's all just unreleased songs. There's also a ton of live versions, alternate takes, the famous Golden Circle show in Sweden, maybe some session stuff from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets. The material is there, but is the audience?

Yes, yes and double yes!  x million.

I think a Piper Immersion set, perhaps -- would be a logical way to do this, since they've already introduced this concept with their other albums.  Although, I've always heard that the Piper session tapes/multi-tracks, don't exist.  But still, there's still a lot stuff that hasn't been officially released or sensibly gathered in a nice package.

As for "is there an audience."  Yeah, I think so.  I'm a huge, huge Floyd fan, but I passed on the over-priced, marble-laden Immersion sets thus far... but I would pre-order a Piper Immersion set without even thinking.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:26:35 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 08:16:23 AM »

All Jonathan Richman's unreleased album sessions in the wilderness years between "Back In Your Life" and "Jonathan Sings". Plus a live box set of all the countless songs he's written and played live but never bothered to record (as far as anyone knows).

Please delete my account
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 09:28:57 PM »

My Solution
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 11:19:36 PM »

"I'm a King Bee"
"Lucy Leave"
"Butterfly"
"Double O Bo"
"Walk with Me Sydney"
"Pink Theme"*
"She Was a Millionaire"*
"Scream Thy Last Scream"
"Reaction in G"
"Untitled"  (a.k.a Sunshine)
"Vegetable Man"
"In the Beechwoods"
"John Latham"
"Instrumental"
"Early Morning Henry"*

Yes, yes and double yes!  x million.

I think a Piper Immersion set, perhaps -- would be a logical way to do this, since they've already introduced this concept with their other albums.  Although, I've always heard that the Piper session tapes/multi-tracks, don't exist.  But still, there's still a lot stuff that hasn't been officially released or sensibly gathered in a nice package.

As for "is there an audience."  Yeah, I think so.  I'm a huge, huge Floyd fan, but I passed on the over-priced, marble-laden Immersion sets thus far... but I would pre-order a Piper Immersion set without even thinking.
Isn't "Have You Got It Yet?" just a myth? Like one of those band related urban legends that never goes away.

Eric Clapton has about three or four complete albums that have never been released, as well as a few unreleased live album projects. The Who worked on a project in 1972 that was abandoned. A few bits and pieces of it became Quadrophenia.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 01:34:47 AM »

ALL the Basement Tapes by Dylan and the Band

YES!

Dylan's Bootleg Series is so good, not just the quality of the songs, but the presentation and frequency of release, I wish more bands would do something like this. I would be very surprised if it never came out, so maybe they are waiting for some missing reels/cassettes to be located, like the recent one Garth Hudson turned up.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 07:39:29 AM »

Didn't The Beach Boys record an entire album, with Brian Wilson finally back in command, right after he did the beloved, odd-ball and fan favorite Love You?  It was called Adult something or rather.  Adult Bear?  No... Boo-Boo Child perhaps?

Yeah.  That would be awesome.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 12:55:44 PM »

The record companies need to get on the ball and take a cue from the Beachboys and Dylan;  Get that stuff OUT THERE while those who will still buy CDs and care about this old stuff are still alive.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx