gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 05:36:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Williams (the Crawdaddy one) RIP  (Read 5477 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 07:46:10 AM »

From Brian's official Facebook page:

Paul Williams was just a kid when he came to my house when I was making SMiLE. We talked a lot and I played him acetates of my new music. He really dug it and I'll always remember that. He started Crawdaddy and wrote a lot of great books. Paul died this week and I want to say I'm sorry to his family for their loss.
Love and Mercy, Brian
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »

From Brian's official Facebook page:

Paul Williams was just a kid when he came to my house when I was making SMiLE. We talked a lot and I played him acetates of my new music. He really dug it and I'll always remember that. He started Crawdaddy and wrote a lot of great books. Paul died this week and I want to say I'm sorry to his family for their loss.
Love and Mercy, Brian

Several of the people commenting on the post thought Brian was talking about the songwriting, singing Paul Williams. I wouldn't be surprised if that fellow has to breathe on a mirror in front of David Letterman on the air to prove he's alive. (Which is what Dave made actor Abe Vigoda do about 20 years ago to dispel similar rumors of his passing - Abe still being very much with us.)
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »

I've been laid out with an evil flu and missed this.  Damn.  Paul Williams has everything to do with the kind of Beach Boy fan I am.  Starting with "Outlaw Blues" which I ordered from the back of "My Weekly Reader" I learned about "Pet Sounds", "Smile", and "Wild Honey", which brought my fandom to another level of consciousness.  I'd say that Williams pretty much created the Smile myth which was a large part of their currency as they went forward in the 70s and beyond.  Regardless, he was their champion at a time when there were precious few, and his writing was a place you could get hard core Brian/BB thought prior to the internet.  As he called them -- "The Wilderness Years."

I subscribed to Crawdaddy in the 70s and as a fanzine in the 90s.  Once had a nice long chat with him on WFMU about the GV boxset when it came out.  I was pleased as pie.  In October, Superstorm Sandy flooded my apartment and I lost virtually all my books, writings, records etc.  One book I made a point of pulling out and cleaning off was my signed (now warped!) copy of "How Deep Is the Ocean?"

Enjoy the Music of the the Spheres my brother, and bless your family.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:12:56 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »

He was one of my favorite music writers ... really, along with Greg Shaw a little later (another gone too soon), sort of created pop music journalism in my opinion ... or some special variation of it. RIP Mr. Williams !

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »

I can dig the relationship to Shaw though their styles were different.  But they were both first and foremost fans -- your buddy who has a new record that you need to stop everything and listen to because it's going to change your life.  Not nihilists or narcissists or trying to be the story themselves.  There was Love in their words.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 06:53:41 PM »

In October, Superstorm Sandy flooded my apartment and I lost virtually all my books, writings, records etc.  

I'm real sorry to hear that, Aum.   Be happy you're still around - at least you're alive to tell about it.  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »

He was one of my favorite music writers ... really, along with Greg Shaw a little later (another gone too soon), sort of created pop music journalism in my opinion ... or some special variation of it. RIP Mr. Williams !

Shaw was a big fan of Brian & The Boys and Surf music in general.  Remember reading his articles in Bomp! magazine.  Good writer.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »

In October, Superstorm Sandy flooded my apartment and I lost virtually all my books, writings, records etc.  

I'm real sorry to hear that, Aum.   Be happy you're still around - at least you're alive to tell about it.  Smiley

Thanks, Mikie!  I'm good.  All the loss was on the material plane.  I think I needed a spring cleaning anyway!

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »

Thanks, Mikie!  I'm good.  All the loss was on the material plane.  I think I needed a spring cleaning anyway!

like mikie i also wanted to add that i'm glad you are ok. as for losing your collection..i'm sorry to hear that..i sure can relate to that!

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 07:13:41 PM »

like mikie i also wanted to add that i'm glad you are ok. as for losing your collection..i'm sorry to hear that..i sure can relate to that!

Thanks, Steve -- seems like a lifetime ago.  A few days ago I was on another board and there was an OT discussion of Lillian Roxon (mentioned in this thread). Someone asked if anyone had a copy of her Encylopedia.  I thought hell yeah -- first printing! -- and then remembered oh no I don't....

I will mention that my own music gear got the apartment's highest ground and is fine.  First things first!

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »

A couple of relevant links:

http://www.rocksbackpagesblogs.com/2013/03/listening-to-paul-williams/

in which longtime Newsday pop-music writer Wayne Robins eulogizes Paul and talks about Cindy Lee Berryhill and Lenny Kaye's performance at the one-day exhibit of Williams/Crawdaddy memorabilia in New York, the Sunday before he died. Cindy Lee and Lenny performed two songs by artists Paul wrote much about.

One, naturally given that multivolume chronicle of Dylan he penned, was "Like A Rolling Stone." The other.... "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times."

http://cindyleeberryhill.blogspot.com/2013/04/more-reflections.html

has some tributes to Paul, leading off with Van Dyke Parks. VDP reports that he was the feller who introduced Paul to Brian. Van Dyke also reminds everyone who helped out Cindy Lee and young Alexander Williams, financially and otherwise, during Paul's last years of illness, that the job is not done yet, as Alexander someday will be going to college...and, you never know, just might change the course of musical history his first year there, as Paul did when he got Crawdaddy going.

VDP also goes into an entertaining digression about Jann Wenner visiting Warner Bros Records's offices to line up ads in the early days of Rolling Stone.  VDP gave him some advice about improving the magazine's physical aspects. If you're younger than 50, you may find the advice given somewhat mystifying. So ask somebody who read the magazine before 1973.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »

Paul's work had a deep influence on my as a young journalist and writer. The sheer enthusiasm with which he'd embrace new work was amazing. I still remember his laudatory review of Imagination, which I believe only ever appeared in the revived Crawdaddy! He found depths in that album that BW and Joe Thomas only dreamed of. And yet, and yet ... he wrote about those things in such a genuine way that you accepted his insights as utterly valid, even if they were coming from a place of greater artistic integrity than the music itself. A neat trick.

That being said, he was a very particular, very idiosyncratic rock writer, who seemed to confine himself to writing about music and artists that he really liked. But given the breadth of his other work, it seems like that writing was only a fraction of who he was anyway.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »

It was an honor to meet Paul after Brian's 2004 SMiLE gig in Pala, CA.  I always really loved Crawdaddy!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »

I'm sad to hear he passed. He wrote one of the first Beach Boys books I ever read, How Deep is the Ocean, and that book was one of the first to really help me begin to understand the genius and soul of Brian Wilson.

In December 1966, Paul visited Brian at his house up in Laurel Way and was one of the first of the 'outside' world to hear the SMiLE music. He smoked a hookah in Brian's tent, went swimming with him, had a little fun with Brian's new movie camera, met the other Beach Boys and attended a recording session where he participated in making noises laying on the floor as directed by Brian. So cool.
Here's a my tribute to him (South Park style as usual for me)  :

Smiley Paul, you'll be missed. Everybody, if they can, go read his review of the Beach Boys 1993 GV box set from 1993, some of the best writing on music ever.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:09:19 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »

I'm sad to hear he passed. He wrote one of the first Beach Boys books I ever read, How Deep is the Ocean, and that book was one of the first to really begin to understand the genius and soul of Brian Wilson.

In December 1966, Paul visited Brian at his house up in Laurel Way and was one of the first of the 'outside' world to hear the SMiLE music. He smoked a hookah in Brian's tent, went swimming with him, had a little fun with Brian's new movie camera, met the other Beach Boys and attended a recording session where he participated in making noises laying on the floor as directed by Brian. So cool.
Here's a my tribute to him (South Park style as usual for me)  :

NICE.

Smiley Paul, you'll be missed. Everybody, if they can, go read his review of the Beach Boys 1993 GV box set from 1993, some of the best writing on music ever.
Where would one find said review?
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »

Ah, I've been searching for it online, but I can't seem to find it. I know it's in his How Deep is the Ocean book. Wish I could scan it, but that's very likely against the rules. Copyrighted material and all that.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 02:39:45 PM »

Ah, I've been searching for it online, but I can't seem to find it. I know it's in his How Deep is the Ocean book. Wish I could scan it, but that's very likely against the rules. Copyrighted material and all that.
Sure. I've been meaning to purchase How Deep is the Ocean? somewhere online for years.. guess I'll have to get it now. Smiley
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »

It is in How deep is the ocean

If it runs amuck, call the duck
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »

Sure. I've been meaning to purchase How Deep is the Ocean? somewhere online for years.. guess I'll have to get it now. Smiley

I pulled out my copy with the intention of scanning it; but with 33- 6 X 9 inch pages you're on your own!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 04:10:55 AM »

The autumn 1993 issue of Crawdaddy featuring the '93 box set review is worth searching for as it includes some great observations from Cindy Lee Berryhill.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx