gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 08:02:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1739742 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02:19 PM »

Some of you are obviously going to disagree, but my view is that Capitol ,BRI & the Beach Boys "marketing strategies" for this troubled box set project, have mistreated many thousands of The Beach Boys' most loyal fans. If Capitol, BRI, & The Beach Boys hadn't been so secretive, all of the speculation on the internet (over the box set's contents & whether or not the box set will be released) would never have happened.

Phil, every time you think about making a post like this, why not instead go walk the dog, make a cup of tea, shag the missus, whatever. I don't care. But it is getting old, and unless you value scorn and pity from your fellow boardmembers I'd stop parroting the same line, it's not worth your energy.

The only reason i'd entertain for the lack of news is a) Capitol obviously are not finished yet and b) time goes slower on the internet. It feels like an eternity when you check in everyday. We would obsess anyway! And we are. This is the natural way of it. Everything's on track.

The thing is, Phil desperately DOES NOT WANT Smile to be released.  His posts are just his wishful thinking.

I'm being serious.  Some of you may have seen his link a few months ago to some site where he gives us the chance to download the "real" Smile created by ... him.  He makes all kinds of ridiculous statements about how his Smile IS THE SMILE because he's an audio expert, and he followed D Priore's instructions (and Priore, Phil says, got the instructions straight from Brian).  So in Phil's delusional mind, Smile already has been released, by Phil himself.  He's desperate to hang on to that status, even though he's the only one who actually believes in it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: August 16, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »

Some of you are obviously going to disagree, but my view is that Capitol ,BRI & the Beach Boys "marketing strategies" for this troubled box set project, have mistreated many thousands of The Beach Boys' most loyal fans. If Capitol, BRI, & The Beach Boys hadn't been so secretive, all of the speculation on the internet (over the box set's contents & whether or not the box set will be released) would never have happened.

Phil, every time you think about making a post like this, why not instead go walk the dog, make a cup of tea, shag the missus, whatever. I don't care. But it is getting old, and unless you value scorn and pity from your fellow boardmembers I'd stop parroting the same line, it's not worth your energy.

The only reason i'd entertain for the lack of news is a) Capitol obviously are not finished yet and b) time goes slower on the internet. It feels like an eternity when you check in everyday. We would obsess anyway! And we are. This is the natural way of it. Everything's on track.

The thing is, Phil desperately DOES NOT WANT Smile to be released.  His posts are just his wishful thinking.

I'm being serious.  Some of you may have seen his link a few months ago to some site where he gives us the chance to download the "real" Smile created by ... him.  He makes all kinds of ridiculous statements about how his Smile IS THE SMILE because he's an audio expert, and he followed D Priore's instructions (and Priore, Phil says, got the instructions straight from Brian).  So in Phil's delusional mind, Smile already has been released, by Phil himself.  He's desperate to hang on to that status, even though he's the only one who actually believes in it.
We should compare Phil's mix to the album mix once the box comes out this year.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:12:18 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 16, 2011, 06:07:30 PM »

As has been stated, the release is not delayed. If Capitol was to announce a Jan 1 2012 date or later, which I might add would be their first word on the subject in 5 months, then granted...it is a delay.

AGD mentioned a Labor day announcement. Wishful thinking or someone has tipped him off, he doesn't say, but that would be fitting. Fifty years since that famous Mexico trip!

'Beach Boys Day' September 5 2011 anyone?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: August 16, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »

As has been stated, the release is not delayed. If Capitol was to announce a Jan 1 2012 date or later, which I might add would be their first word on the subject in 5 months, then granted...it is a delay.

AGD mentioned a Labor day announcement. Wishful thinking or someone has tipped him off, he doesn't say, but that would be fitting. Fifty years since that famous Mexico trip!

'Beach Boys Day' September 5 2011 anyone?

Have the day marked on my iphone

Shocked

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 16, 2011, 06:43:08 PM »

The thing is, Phil desperately DOES NOT WANT Smile to be released.  His posts are just his wishful thinking.

I'm being serious.  Some of you may have seen his link a few months ago to some site where he gives us the chance to download the "real" Smile created by ... him.  He makes all kinds of ridiculous statements about how his Smile IS THE SMILE because he's an audio expert, and he followed D Priore's instructions (and Priore, Phil says, got the instructions straight from Brian).  So in Phil's delusional mind, Smile already has been released, by Phil himself.  He's desperate to hang on to that status, even though he's the only one who actually believes in it.
I have been saying this ever since he arrived on this board!! 250 negative posts ago!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
PhilCohen
« Reply #3730 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »

Wait a second. My fan compilation was created, starting in 2001, with its' final revisions and refinements in 2003. It was created using the best sources then available, and the best knowledge then available(Domenic Priore was considered the "Smile" authority, and his running order was THEN considered credible). I couldn't have envisioned(in 2001) that 10 years later , that developement of an official "Smile" box would begin. My only objective was to make the best of what was in circulation, cutting out all the filler material.

My real wish: that Capitol & The Beach Boys would stop playing games with us, release the damn thing already. It is my sincere wish, that if this official set is ever released, that it will be better than any of the fan compilations in circulation, and that the set will contain a substantial amount of previously unheard material, or present the already heard recordings in a closer-to-finished form.

But, if the official set doesn't happen, that fan mix to which you refer stands as one of the better-sounding efforts in circulation. Is the running order(from "Our Prayer" to "You're Welcome") correct? With what is known now, probably not. Is it an entertaining musical experience? Yes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #3731 on: August 16, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »

Wait a second. My fan compilation was created, starting in 2001, with its' final revisions and refinements in 2003. It was created using the best sources then available, and the best knowledge then available(Domenic Priore was considered the "Smile" authority, and his running order was THEN considered credible). I couldn't have envisioned(in 2001) that 10 years later , that developement of an official "Smile" box would begin. My only objective was to make the best of what was in circulation, cutting out all the filler material.

My real wish: that Capitol & The Beach Boys would stop playing games with us, release the damn thing already. It is my sincere wish, that if this official set is ever released, that it will be better than any of the fan compilations in circulation, and that the set will contain a substantial amount of previously unheard material, or present the already heard recordings in a closer-to-finished form.

But, if the official set doesn't happen, that fan mix to which you refer stands as one of the better-sounding efforts in circulation. Is the running order(from "Our Prayer" to "You're Welcome") correct? With what is known now, probably not. Is it an entertaining musical experience? Yes.

As for the "instructions" in the 2nd edition of Domenic Priore's "Look Listen Vibrate Smile", can you deny that I followed those "instructions" to the letter?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 16, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »

Phil, there is no game playing by anybody. Most of us read nothing more into Capitol's release statement than what it was. Is there a reason why you insist on rehashing this debate? It's like deja vu, all over again. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: August 16, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »

Seriously Phil, you seem to get off on how great you're fucking "fan mix" is. Who cares? Go make your own music. No matter how "good" whatever you made was, you did not make the music and your interpretation means next to nothing.

Also, The Beach Boys are not playing games Phil. They (and Capitol) announced it would be out this year. They didn't say May, June, July, August, or whenever. They said this year. If it doesn't come out this year most of us on this board will have to apologize. If not, I think you owe all of us a huge apology.

Then you say you hope that the mix The Beach Boys release will be better. Well I know this much, it will have Brian Wilson's stamp of approval, and being that he is the creator of the material, I will say his is better by virtue of him knowing this material better than you.

Besides that, we got you talking about "previously unreleased material". Duh, we want to hear stuff we haven't heard before anyways. But guess what, even if there is nothing new (which I highly doubt) it will be in much better quality than the Philip Cohen super awesome fan mix.

Ugh. For a while I thought AGD was being too tough on you, but you are so egotistical and ridiculous it almost strikes me as though you have some sort of derangement.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: August 16, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »

The last time this debate was brought up (probably just four days ago) I told myself, 'Don't feed the troll ever again...' - I really need to work on that....

Well, at this rate we'll at least reach 400 pages by the time this set comes out.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: August 16, 2011, 07:48:31 PM »

Part of the greatness of the SMiLE album is the drama surrounding it.  It was supposed to come out!  They all fought!  Lawsuits ensued!  Mike Love is an Ass!  Brian just couldn't get over the lack of support!  20 Years Later, it was booted!  40 Years Later, it was completed!  It's not really the correct order!!!!

etc. etc. etc.

So although I don't wish Brian any more mental anguish, the GREATEST EVRRRR would be if, after Capitol releases the Box Set, Brian pops up with some other sh*t he had hid in his house or something. 

THEY FORGOT THE 4TH MOVEMENT!!! THAT'S NOT ME SINGING ON WIND CHIMES!!! or something.

I just want the drama to continue, lol.  I mean screw it, we already know it didn't happen and you can't go back and finish an album that was never finished, so I think the best we can hope for now is that exciting developements continue for 40 more years. 

GOOD VIBRATIONS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 14 MINUTES LONG!!!!  Vegetables was really part of the WIND element!!! etc. etc.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: August 16, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »

What's this "troll" bs?  Does Phil live under a bridge?   Someone speaks their opinion, whether a popular one or not, and they're a "troll"?   I say shaddup and leave 'im alone.  He wants to say the Beach Bags and Crapitol are messin' with people, then so what's it to you?  Does it really freakin' matter?    He wants to say there's a delay and it probably isn't going to happen?  Who cares, reallY?   Get over yourselves already, relax, toke a fatty and stop acting like a gang of puffed up pudwacks with nothing better to do than masturbate over Smile.   As far as I'm concerned, at this point, Phil COULD be right - time will tell.   All I know is that maybe there hasn't tecnically been a delay - but this is their 50th anniversary year, is it not?   The years more than half over already, and I first heard about this release way back in February or March - I don't check this board weekly, let alone hourly, but I can tell you I'm feeling a delay.  You don't?  Great, but if I ior anyone else wants to spout it, then don't respond and move on.   They missed Summer, which would have been a perfect time to release Smile, or anything else they might have in store.  Fall would be okay too, sure, let the wind blow (me).   Christmas time, why not try and cash in on that, right?  
They've been riding on the legend of Smile for too many years, and they've dicked people around with it endlessly.  You disagree with that?  Fine, I don't care.  That is your perogative.    It's also other peoples perogatives to voice their frustrations should they so feel them.    Just because you may not agree or like it, doesn't make it any less so.
And ganging up on someone and trying to get them kicked off the board as trolls is just stupid, sad and snotty.  
If Phil were spamming the board with ads, porno crap or whatever, that'd been one thing (depends on the porno though Wink ), but he's not as far as i have seen.  So he thinks his fan-mix is the greatest thing since beach blanket bunghole, and he crows (over and over) about it?  So what?  He's proud of it, and good for him.  I've never heard it, but whatever - let the man have his say, and leave him alone.  
Ya bunch of punks.
PhilCohen
« Reply #3737 on: August 16, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »

They've been riding on the legend of Smile for too many years, and they've dicked people around with it endlessly.

You just hit the nail on the head. The fans have been good to The Beach Boys. After numerous times(over the past 44 years) hinting that "Smile" would be released, then not coming through for the fans, what they've been putting the fans through this year, seems downright cruel: anxiety, anguish & stress. Like a repeat of every previous time that the fans' hopes have been raised....then crushed(only worse).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:55:25 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: August 16, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »

anxiety, anguish and stress?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »

From wiki:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Phil constantly posts his opinion (which hasn't changed one bit) over and over with what most here believe is the intent of flaming the discussion. I don't think it's the epxeression of his opnion so much as it is the constant expression of the same opinion over and over and over and generally taking on the role of Eeyore to the SS.net's The Hundred Acre Wood.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: August 16, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »

From wiki:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Phil constantly posts his opinion (which hasn't changed one bit) over and over with what most here believe is the intent of flaming the discussion. I don't think it's the epxeression of his opnion so much as it is the constant expression of the same opinion over and over and over and generally taking on the role of Eeyore to the SS.net's The Hundred Acre Wood.

You really can't justify it, he expresses the same opinion!? multiple times!? who does he think he is? Please.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: August 16, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »

I want a silence clause on Phil and Sgt. SMiLE relived of duty till further SMiLE information  Razz

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: August 16, 2011, 09:10:46 PM »

I want a silence clause on Phil and Sgt. SMiLE relived of duty till further SMiLE information  Razz

DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY (listens of Lookin' Back With Love) MAGGOT!

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: August 16, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »

What's this "troll" bs?  Does Phil live under a bridge?   Someone speaks their opinion, whether a popular one or not, and they're a "troll"?   I say shaddup and leave 'im alone.  He wants to say the Beach Bags and Crapitol are messin' with people, then so what's it to you?  Does it really freakin' matter?    He wants to say there's a delay and it probably isn't going to happen?  Who cares, reallY?   Get over yourselves already, relax, toke a fatty and stop acting like a gang of puffed up pudwacks with nothing better to do than masturbate over Smile.   As far as I'm concerned, at this point, Phil COULD be right - time will tell.   All I know is that maybe there hasn't tecnically been a delay - but this is their 50th anniversary year, is it not?   The years more than half over already, and I first heard about this release way back in February or March - I don't check this board weekly, let alone hourly, but I can tell you I'm feeling a delay.  You don't?  Great, but if I ior anyone else wants to spout it, then don't respond and move on.   They missed Summer, which would have been a perfect time to release Smile, or anything else they might have in store.  Fall would be okay too, sure, let the wind blow (me).   Christmas time, why not try and cash in on that, right?  
They've been riding on the legend of Smile for too many years, and they've dicked people around with it endlessly.  You disagree with that?  Fine, I don't care.  That is your perogative.    It's also other peoples perogatives to voice their frustrations should they so feel them.    Just because you may not agree or like it, doesn't make it any less so.
And ganging up on someone and trying to get them kicked off the board as trolls is just stupid, sad and snotty.  
If Phil were spamming the board with ads, porno crap or whatever, that'd been one thing (depends on the porno though Wink ), but he's not as far as i have seen.  So he thinks his fan-mix is the greatest thing since beach blanket bunghole, and he crows (over and over) about it?  So what?  He's proud of it, and good for him.  I've never heard it, but whatever - let the man have his say, and leave him alone.  
Ya bunch of punks.

You're right, "beach blanket bunghole" is a good name for Phil.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: August 16, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »

Phil's posts have nothing to do with his Smile mix.  Really, they don't have anything to do with Smile.  If it was a different band and a different release it would all be the same.  That's Phil's gimmick.  He gets online and freaks out about classic rock outtakes.  It's what he does.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:23:57 PM by AvanTodd » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: August 16, 2011, 09:31:07 PM »

This may be the end of Beach Boys fandom as we know it.

quoting myself all the way back on page 2

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3746 on: August 16, 2011, 11:47:09 PM »

Over the weekend, had a long phone call, part of which was pertinent to this thread (which came very close to being exceedingly interesting) and I voiced my personal opinion that there was only one person who was accusing Capitol messing with the fan's heads, being misleading and generally being BAD PEOPLE and that his name was Phil Cohen. There was a brief pause followed by roughly three minutes of loud laughter.

Fact: the box will happen, this year. I was hooked up on my own desire to see it win a Grammy in 2012, which blinded me to the realities - good and bad - of constructing a project like this. My best guess, and that's all it is, is now a November release preceded by a Labor Day announcement. That's good business practise: Christmas sales... and a 2013 Grammy is still as good as a 2012 one.

Fact: this board, and others, is being monitored on a daily basis, and were I deeply involved in the making of this box, my initial amusement at the naysayers would have by now turned into boredom (at best) or increasing annoyance that someone who knows precisely nothing about what's happening is making such negatively definitive statements.

Fact: folk who are actually involved, or could be reasonably assumed to have some degree of inside track, have said it's going to happen.

Conjecture: maybe saying next-to-nothing since the initial announcement is all part of the original game-plan.

Phil - you're just digging yourself a deeper hole with every post, making yourself look more and more ridiculous. Quit now while you're not loosing too badly. Don't even keep thinkin', 'cause it's become obvious that (at least in this respect) you're actually no good at that at all. But, if you elect to continue with the weeping, wailing, rending of garments and gnashing of teeth, prepare to be ragged unmercifully in a few months time. Because you will be - it's human nature - and you will have no defence whatsoever.  Grin

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:48:33 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: August 17, 2011, 12:41:31 AM »

Over the weekend, had a long phone call, part of which was pertinent to this thread (which came very close to being exceedingly interesting) and I voiced my personal opinion that there was only one person who was accusing Capitol messing with the fan's heads, being misleading and generally being BAD PEOPLE and that his name was Phil Cohen. There was a brief pause followed by roughly three minutes of loud laughter.

Fact: the box will happen, this year. I was hooked up on my own desire to see it win a Grammy in 2012, which blinded me to the realities - good and bad - of constructing a project like this. My best guess, and that's all it is, is now a November release preceded by a Labor Day announcement. That's good business practise: Christmas sales... and a 2013 Grammy is still as good as a 2012 one.

Fact: this board, and others, is being monitored on a daily basis, and were I deeply involved in the making of this box, my initial amusement at the naysayers would have by now turned into boredom (at best) or increasing annoyance that someone who knows precisely nothing about what's happening is making such negatively definitive statements.

Fact: folk who are actually involved, or could be reasonably assumed to have some degree of inside track, have said it's going to happen.

Conjecture: maybe saying next-to-nothing since the initial announcement is all part of the original game-plan.

Phil - you're just digging yourself a deeper hole with every post, making yourself look more and more ridiculous. Quit now while you're not loosing too badly. Don't even keep thinkin', 'cause it's become obvious that (at least in this respect) you're actually no good at that at all. But, if you elect to continue with the weeping, wailing, rending of garments and gnashing of teeth, prepare to be ragged unmercifully in a few months time. Because you will be - it's human nature - and you will have no defence whatsoever.  Grin

That's all really nice.

I like how it's not the boredom of the customers that apparently matters, it's the boredom of the person who's job it is to watch us squirm. Excuse me if I don't have any sympathy for him.  Roll Eyes

Also, stop acting like there's some horrible consequence for being wrong. What hole is Phil digging for himself? Will he be prevented from buying the boxset? Will Brian Wilson personally kick him in the balls? If that was true you'd be icing your nuts right now from your "late September" prediction. All the folk here on the "inside track" have been wrong thus far, so who really cares what they say? Didn't Peter Reum just tell us the other week that we were on schedule for the discussed window? Only to have things pushed back even further a few days later?

I'll buy that this thing is probably coming out at some point when they can get all their sh*t straight, but I don't really care if some guy lurking here is "bored" by us.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3748 on: August 17, 2011, 01:13:07 AM »

That's all really nice.

I like how it's not the boredom of the customers that apparently matters, it's the boredom of the person who's job it is to watch us squirm. Excuse me if I don't have any sympathy for him.  Roll Eyes

The only boredom I'm seeing here is with the repeated doom-laden and totally unsubstantiated witterings of Phil and his acolyte. As for "the person who's job it is to watch us squirm", trust me, Capitol don't rate us that highly. A couple of dozen geeks on a handful of MBs don't register on their radar, except maybe as light relief. Don't give yourself airs (a topic on which I have considerable experience in the past).

Also, stop acting like there's some horrible consequence for being wrong. What hole is Phil digging for himself?

It's called "credibility".

"All the folk here on the "inside track" have been wrong thus far, so who really cares what they say? Didn't Peter Reum just tell us the other week that we were on schedule for the discussed window? Only to have things pushed back even further a few days later?"

Maybe Peter was thinking of a different window to the one listed by the retailers ? Peter isn't as guileless as he might seem: he also doesn't blow hot air.

I'll buy that this thing is probably coming out at some point when they can get all their sh*t straight, but I don't really care if some guy lurking here is "bored" by us.

Again, who says Capitol haven't got "their sh*t straight" ? Two people - you and PC. Most folk here think differently. Some folk here know differently. OK, tell me what you know of the exact state of The Smile Sessions right now. There's folk on this board, and watching, who would like to compare what you think you know with what the actual situation is. I'm betting they're poles apart.  Smiley

Every last thing Phil has said is based on nothing more than what he thinks is happening. Which is why every last thing he's said here is at best based on a skewed misunderstanding, more often flat out wrong. Interesting times ahead.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:14:20 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: August 17, 2011, 01:25:27 AM »

Anyone wonder if the act of checking in daily on the progress of this boxset in itself distorts time, and creates a sense of delay where there really is none? This place is getting to be like some demented waiting room. The mods should figure out a way where the dark, foreboding piano bridge to Child could be on permanent loop whenever we open this thread, just to a increase the tension and really send Phil over the edge.

Smiley Wise words. I am someone who checks in on a regular basis, but am also aware of the unnatural character that the merry exchange of ideas and expectations here often assumes. Capitol hasn't made one single 'unbecoming' move towards the fans yet. It hasn't postponed anything so far. Word is that the set will be released this year. Well, this very year still has 4 and a half months to go. That is a long time. So what is all the fuss about? Nothing.

The only indications we had were vague announcements by a few record retailers. They are not Capitol.

Buddhahat is right. Feverish checking here distorts time. It makes one week feel like ten years or so to the truly obsessed. Especially if said obsessed suffer from the delusion according to which SMiLE is the only important art statement in the universe.

Let me remind those folks of a dictum by Kurt Vonnegut: 'The Universe Is Large... It Is Probably The Largest Thing There Is.'.

(Meanwhile, I have turned my attention to the upcoming John Fahey box set. It has his earliest recordings on the Fonotone label, and will be out on the Dust To Digital label. It's ready, and can be ordered. It may be the second most important and beautiful archival release of the year.)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:56:59 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx