gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 04:48:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mini-Review and Mark Linett Comments On The Box Set - TapeOp Magazine  (Read 2203 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »

It's brief but worth noting, click and enlarge if the image is too small to read.

What's interesting is the comment on the use of "convolution reverb". It brings up a few interesting points to consider on the whole process of remixing classic tracks with such a tool at your disposal. Basically, it sets up a situation where you could have a track originally recorded at, say, Western #3 in 1966 but where you could now create a mix using the echo chamber from Gold Star if it was a better choice sonically.

I guess I considered that kind of sampled room technology more as a tool to go back in time when recording and mixing new tracks, more than having such an almost unlimited sonic palette on hand when doing a remix or remaster of a classic track. Very interesting to see this in relation to the Beach Boys, especially where Brian Wilson for one was a producer who was very involved with using specific studios and specific "rooms" for certain sounds. Of course all of that came to fruition on Good Vibrations...

...but imagine having such a tool available in 1966 where a producer like Brian could dial up on demand the sound of any room or any specific echo chamber he wanted to hear, no matter where he was physically working on the tracks. Pretty amazing in that context.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »

The 1993 box won a Grammy ? News to me, and also I suspect to the Grammy organisation.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »

The 1993 box won a Grammy ? News to me, and also I suspect to the Grammy organisation.

Possibly Jeff Slate's ghostwriter is (ca ching!) Jack Rieley???  Drumroll
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:45:58 AM »

Hm, interesting review.  For all his talk about "plug-ins", etc. and that he'd rather go with "does it sound good?", I still think a lot of this new box set has moments that just shouldn't be there in terms of what they've done with the overall sound.  Despite everyone raving about how good "do it again" sounds, I remain unimpressed, and as for the Good Vibrations box set being assembled in the early days of digital transfers, I much prefer the overall sound of that set in comparison to MIC.  Don't get me wrong, I am happy that MIC is available to us, I just think it sometimes sounds a little "artificial"...  for want of a better word. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »

I think the remasters on MIC sound great, but I really don't care for about half of the new re-mixes. There is a homogeneous quality to many of the re-mixes, or a lack of spatial depth in the sound, due, in general, to too much reverb being applied to vocals and instruments. It sounds like voices and instruments all get pushed back to the same point in space. And this results in the loss of that "classic" Beach Boys sound, where the vocals are up front and very intimate sounding.

Other things that bug me........

Carl's vocal on "Brian's Back" was pulled way back in this new re-mix compared to the '93 box mix. And Carl's vocal on that tune is by far the stand out feature, IMO.

The background vocals on "It's OK" lose all their "oomph" or power in this new re-mix. I always thought this particular blend of voices, with, I believe, Marilyn and maybe another female joining in on the big chorus of ahhs, was especially full and powerful-sounding. This mix washes that chorus of voices in reverb, essentially pushing it back in the mix, making it rather anemic-sounding.

Maybe this homogeneous approach is a more modern style of mixing. I don't know. I just know I find myself wanting to hear the vocals with more clarity and more up front in the aural landscape.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »

The background vocals on "It's OK" lose all their "oomph" or power in this new re-mix. I always thought this particular blend of voices, with, I believe, Marilyn and maybe another female joining in on the big chorus of ahhs, was especially full and powerful-sounding. This mix washes that chorus of voices in reverb, essentially pushing it back in the mix, making it rather anemic-sounding.

Maybe this homogeneous approach is a more modern style of mixing. I don't know. I just know I find myself wanting to hear the vocals with more clarity and more up front in the aural landscape.

"It's OK" is not a new remix.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »

I didn't enjoy DIA as much as some of the fan remixes.  Sounds better with headphones on.  Some of the added reverb on the live tracks is bad enough but there's no way they should have messed with the studio vocals.  I think far to much artistic license has been taken with previously released or mixed stuff.  Shame as some of the mixes were good apart from the added reverb.  And also the Paramount Stuff sounds better than the released Sail on Sailor on the box.  Surely there must be an official CD with that stuff in future if it wasn't represented on the box?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »

Carl's vocal on "Brian's Back" was pulled way back in this new re-mix compared to the '93 box mix. And Carl's vocal on that tune is by far the stand out feature, IMO.

"Brian's Back" was not on the '93 box.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:27:38 PM »

"It's OK" is not a new remix.

Well it's new to this release. OK, so after checking the liner notes again I see it says "1976 Alternate Mix". I just saw "Alternate Mix" beside the title and assumed it was a new remix. Like all the other "Alternate" mixes on the set.

"Brian's Back" was not on the '93 box.

Oops, I meant "Endless Harmony".

Man, you guys are good!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx