gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 06:36:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
wavesoflove and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The most stunning Beach Boys AI I've heard yet  (Read 23484 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2023, 07:18:13 PM »

From Dae Lims, a finished Old Man River and a wonderful Bacharach medley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alarQ8TI8zw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RIX1pGkFq8
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 07:44:13 AM »

Far beyond incredible!! Thanks for posting!!    Pirate Rock! High Five Love Happy Dance Kiss w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 08:12:31 AM »

Really, really nice! Thanks for posting!

This reminds me too that Brian (and Al etc) added Old Man River to their live show for a random year or so. I had forgotten all about that.

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 12:43:35 PM »

Snagged 'em, Joel--thanks so much for bringing these to our attention.  King

Will be keeping an eye on Dae Lims for possible future developments...
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 03:44:28 PM »

LOL that's pretty good, though I can't help but wonder if the first one sounds just a wee bit too polished?

Who would that be singing in the 2nd one - Carl?
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 06:59:27 AM »

A new Dae Lims video, it really IMO captures Brian's early voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7cDB80jkSM
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 06:12:29 AM »

That guy is mad talented.  Pretty sure he used to go by the name "Smile A.D." which is "Dae Lims" spelled backwards.   Smiley

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 10:37:41 AM »

The latest...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcg5FoQOTzY
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 02:54:06 PM »

That ones off the mark. Those Hawaii '67 recordings are laid back and trippy and that AI vocal interpretation just sounds too studio driven. Totally missing 'the vibe'.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 06:12:26 PM »

Can't wait for some talented fellow to give us some completed Smile tracks with this technology.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 12:59:22 PM »

For your consideration...Dae Lims' Smile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7W_2JS12CY
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2023, 01:20:18 PM »

I don't really get the ethos of sharing this stuff exclusively via youtube, which puts a hard ceiling on the audio quality/bitrate and also basically guarantees that interested copyrightholders will see it and have absolutely no trouble getting it removed.  The point of flying under the radar is you get to keep flying that way.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2023, 01:59:54 PM »

For your consideration...Dae Lims' Smile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7W_2JS12CY

Thanks for the link, Joel! There's a lot of great stuff in this version (I hesitate to use the word "mix") of Smile. If I was one to still make Smile fan edits I'd definitely be copping some of this marvelous stuff.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 06:56:45 AM »

I don't really get the ethos of sharing this stuff exclusively via youtube, which puts a hard ceiling on the audio quality/bitrate and also basically guarantees that interested copyrightholders will see it and have absolutely no trouble getting it removed.  The point of flying under the radar is you get to keep flying that way.

I think it depends on what the person posting it wants to get out of it. If they want the widest audience possible, and/or get off on the "likes" and the "views" and plaudits, then being up for a little while on YouTube before getting pulled (or pulling it themselves) gets it to far more people than going on a message board and posting a file link.

From what I can tell, that channel looks like it learned early on that stuff gets pulled, so I'm guessing they put stuff up and then pull it down before it gets a copyright strike. I don't check on this stuff on a regular basis, so I'm not sure.

I don't think it's possible for this stuff to particularly "fly under the radar" at this point.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2023, 01:49:05 PM »

If you share files that aren't exclusively welded to a single corporate platform then those files can continue be shared among other human beings with similar interests, almost indefinitely, entirely free of algorithms or tracking metrics!

All this being said I know the audio can and has been ripped from youtube and shared on more under the radar channels already, it's just a silly barrier for people to have to go around

https://archive.org/search?query=creator%3A%22Dae+Lims%22
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2023, 08:55:04 PM »

In the category of something that should have happened but didn't and now it "has," Dae Lims presents AI Frank Sinatra's soulful performance of Still I Dream Of It...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1Z82hM0bc
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 05:06:14 AM »

Agreed.  I hope that Dae Lims shares his stuff on other formats where you can download his stuff at a higher quality than what YouTube offers.  He used to be active on SoundCloud years ago; perhaps he could put his stuff out on there...?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2023, 08:17:03 AM »

As a Sinatra fan, I have to say hearing that is stunning, uplifting, and sad at the same time. Stunning because I had always wanted to hear Sinatra's voice on that track, and short of hiring a Sinatra impersonator to cut a lead vocal over the backing track, AI has made that hypothetical session possible. This track sounds like Sinatra's output in the 70's, it would have fit on any of that era's releases. The backing arrangement combined with Sinatra's vocal timbre (or the approximation of it) fits so well. Uplifting for the same reasons, just being able to hear an approximate version of what never happened but was imagined for a long time. Sad because the original pairing never happened, even though according to a Brian interview there was a meeting with Sinatra scheduled to discuss him recording this song and potentially others too. I think if that happened it would have been a terrific fit and the song could have gone into Sinatra's songbook and live shows. That will always be the sadness of the whole thing.

If Sid Mark were still alive, and you could have sent it to him, I'm sure he would have loved this track and perhaps even played it on his show. There's a difference between the hack AI that has Frank singing Nirvana, and AI Frank actually singing a song that was written and arranged with his voice in mind but sadly never got recorded.

Great work.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2023, 08:23:29 AM »

Just adding one minor nit-pick: The only part of the track that didn't fit the Sinatra sound was the ad-libbing at the end. Sinatra most likely would not have sung "yeah yeah yeah" and the other syllables, instead he would more likely have hummed a part of the melody in the outro or something similar, especially at this point in his career and based on hearing a ton of Frank's work from the 70's and 80's both live and studio. Again that's just pointing out the one element that stood out as something not characteristic of Frank's vocal style. Other than that, stunning work.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2023, 08:56:48 AM »

It sounds like the vocal is being run through Brian’s lead vocal track (or Brian’s lead vocal is somehow a component), because that vocal has a weird mix of Brian’s voice and the fake Sinatra voice.

I’m not a Sinatra aficionado, so I’m certainly not as trained on his voice as the BBs, Beatles, etc., but this sounds pretty par for the course compared to the other tracks. It’s certainly more workshopped than most of the fake AI vocals on YouTube. But it doesn’t sound like the real thing either, to me.

Would there be value in having like a Sinatra impersonator sing the song to hear kind of what it would sound like had he recorded it? Maybe? So I guess this AI vocal is kind of like that.

Listening to Brian’s vocals (which are quite affecting and poignant) and then a fake Sinatra, I think the answer as to who should have sang the song is pretty obvious: Carl Wilson.

But hey, I’m someone who probably enjoys Brian’s demos of “Still I Dream of It” and “It’s Over Now” more than the studio versions. Not a super huge fan of that 70s lounge band sound.

It could be worse. See: Gary Usher’s mid-80s lyrical rewrite of “Still I Dream of It.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2023, 03:45:59 PM »

Where can the Usher lyrics be seen?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2023, 05:22:31 PM »

As a Sinatra fan, I have to say hearing that is stunning, uplifting, and sad at the same time. Stunning because I had always wanted to hear Sinatra's voice on that track, and short of hiring a Sinatra impersonator to cut a lead vocal over the backing track, AI has made that hypothetical session possible. This track sounds like Sinatra's output in the 70's, it would have fit on any of that era's releases. The backing arrangement combined with Sinatra's vocal timbre (or the approximation of it) fits so well. Uplifting for the same reasons, just being able to hear an approximate version of what never happened but was imagined for a long time. Sad because the original pairing never happened, even though according to a Brian interview there was a meeting with Sinatra scheduled to discuss him recording this song and potentially others too. I think if that happened it would have been a terrific fit and the song could have gone into Sinatra's songbook and live shows. That will always be the sadness of the whole thing.

If Sid Mark were still alive, and you could have sent it to him, I'm sure he would have loved this track and perhaps even played it on his show. There's a difference between the hack AI that has Frank singing Nirvana, and AI Frank actually singing a song that was written and arranged with his voice in mind but sadly never got recorded.

Great work.

My sentiments exactly!! I have always wondered "what if" with this song, and now I'm hearing Frank sing this song (yes I realize it's not actually him). I saw this pop up in my YouTube feed last night and I've played it a lot since then. What a crazy time to be alive - just 1-2 years ago I'd never think this was remotely possible.

Great work, again SMiLE AD.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2023, 06:53:58 AM »

It sounds like the vocal is being run through Brian’s lead vocal track (or Brian’s lead vocal is somehow a component), because that vocal has a weird mix of Brian’s voice and the fake Sinatra voice.

I’m not a Sinatra aficionado, so I’m certainly not as trained on his voice as the BBs, Beatles, etc., but this sounds pretty par for the course compared to the other tracks. It’s certainly more workshopped than most of the fake AI vocals on YouTube. But it doesn’t sound like the real thing either, to me.

Would there be value in having like a Sinatra impersonator sing the song to hear kind of what it would sound like had he recorded it? Maybe? So I guess this AI vocal is kind of like that.

Listening to Brian’s vocals (which are quite affecting and poignant) and then a fake Sinatra, I think the answer as to who should have sang the song is pretty obvious: Carl Wilson.

But hey, I’m someone who probably enjoys Brian’s demos of “Still I Dream of It” and “It’s Over Now” more than the studio versions. Not a super huge fan of that 70s lounge band sound.

It could be worse. See: Gary Usher’s mid-80s lyrical rewrite of “Still I Dream of It.”

Are you listning to the same track posted above or Mike Leroy's? if the latter, you're right. If the Dae Lim's version is what you're referencing I think you may be hearing something that is not there. This was definitely not modeled on Brian's original vocal. Phrasing is completely different.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2023, 10:09:43 AM »

Funny enough, mine was me singing as well. Guess I'm a bit too much of a Brian fan and not enough Sinatra!  LOL

Well, that video was just a little joke to show I'm still working on stuff... can't wait till you guys see what I'm cooking up next...

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2023, 12:15:52 PM »

Where can the Usher lyrics be seen?

I believe they're reprinted in McParland's Gary Usher/Brian book. I have the 2013 edition. Not sure which older variations have them.

I could swear somebody online at some point posted them as well. A literaly 5-second search I just did didn't turn anything up, but they might be out there on a board/post somewhere.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx