gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 10:40:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 190 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1414318 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »

Did Brian write the lyrics and melody to "At My Window"? That was always a song I was confused about. I know the backing track was originally a cover of "Raspberries And Strawberries", an idea by Al, but I never found out what Al did and what Brian did to get a credit on this particular song after it was redeveloped and released. It's just such a beautiful track and the lyrics sound like Brian's creation, but it's something that is usually always just attributed as an Al song for some reason.

In the Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer booklet Brian says Al wrote the lyrics. Who knows about the melody.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4601 on: January 17, 2014, 10:20:32 PM »

Where can I listen to Lady by Dennis Wilson?

I mean the original, not the 2009 mix
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: January 18, 2014, 03:17:57 AM »

In the MIC booklet, Karen Lamm has a songwriting credit for Baby Blue. Is it known what her contribution to the song was?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: January 18, 2014, 03:43:00 AM »

Has anybody yet acquired the Isn't It Time instrumental? Surely someone has the radio promo by now...

Was is played on the air?
I would not mind hearing that...

chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: January 18, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »

wrong thread
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4605 on: January 18, 2014, 10:27:07 AM »

I've been thinking about when you look on iTunes or youtube and people post songs like The Lion Sleeps tonight by The Beach Boys. Which we all know that's rubbish. It just shows people don't know their music groups very well but the. I started to think, "wait, Mike used to cover Duke of Earl and Sherry all the time in concert." Maybe your basic fans see this and just assume any vocal group that has high falsetto must be the beach boys. My question is, why did Mike and Bruce cover those two songs in concert, especially Duke of Earl? They were alright covers I reckon. Just proves that he was a "traveling jukebox."

Anyone else think about this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: January 18, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »

They did "Sherry" in the early, early 60s (that's where the one story of Brian teaching everyone a song in the bathroom before a gig comes from, I believe) and then presumably because Adrian Baker sounded somewhat like Frankie Valli.

Still... their cover choices in the early 2000s were a little embarrassing. Thank god they seemed to have strayed away from the catch-all oldies act in the past few years.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: January 18, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »

They did "Sherry" in the early, early 60s (that's where the one story of Brian teaching everyone a song in the bathroom before a gig comes from, I believe) and then presumably because Adrian Baker sounded somewhat like Frankie Valli.

Still... their cover choices in the early 2000s were a little embarrassing. Thank god they seemed to have strayed away from the catch-all oldies act in the past few years.
I totally agree.
And if you didn't know the Beach Boys catalog any better than a greatest hits can, you'd think Why Do Fools Fall in Love was just a "random" oldie they covered (and not a classic BW production on SDV2)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: January 18, 2014, 04:08:43 PM »

I've been thinking about when you look on iTunes or youtube and people post songs like The Lion Sleeps tonight by The Beach Boys. Which we all know that's rubbish. It just shows people don't know their music groups very well but the. I started to think, "wait, Mike used to cover Duke of Earl and Sherry all the time in concert." Maybe your basic fans see this and just assume any vocal group that has high falsetto must be the beach boys. My question is, why did Mike and Bruce cover those two songs in concert, especially Duke of Earl? They were alright covers I reckon. Just proves that he was a "traveling jukebox."

I've been to plenty of oldies and doo wop shows, and I get the overwhelming feeling that audiences enjoy hearing groups and artists sing songs they know, even if they didn't necessarily have the hit with them. Personally, I'd rather hear a low-charting single, b-side, or album track...but like Bruce says, that makes me part of the 1% club. Guarantee ya the BBs of that time got a good audience reaction to Duke of Earl - more so than they would have if they played "The Little Girl I Once Knew" or "Warmth of The Sun" instead. The touring Beach Boys know and play for their audience.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: January 19, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »

Has anybody yet acquired the Isn't It Time instrumental? Surely someone has the radio promo by now...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: January 20, 2014, 06:10:21 AM »

Where can I listen to Lady by Dennis Wilson?

I mean the original, not the 2009 mix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_(Dennis_Wilson_song)

The original mono single mix of "Lady" saw release in 2005 on the Super Furry Animals compiled Under The Influence - A Collection of Musical Influences & Inspirations released in 2005, although this version is thought to be lossy sourced.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: January 20, 2014, 06:37:56 AM »

Good ol' wikipedia. Always answering questions.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: January 23, 2014, 05:19:34 AM »

Anyone knows who created this website? http://www.beachboys.com/

Is he/she a member of SmileySmile by any chance? I know I used to visit the hell out of it in my early days of fandom.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4613 on: January 23, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »

Bret Wheadon - like it says at the bottom of the page.  Old Man

The one bad thing about the site - and it is truly, truly, buttock-clunchingly irritating - is that the "news" section, for the most part, merely trawls the web for ANY mention of the phrase "Beach Boys", which makes it essentially useless. Witness this entry, where I've highlighted the relevant part:

"Live at Pacifica Performances - The Unauthorized Rolling Stones

By Jean Bartlett

Pacifica Tribune Correspondent
Posted:   01/21/2014 05:04:05 PM PST
Updated:   01/21/2014 05:04:05 PM PST

Click photo to enlarge
Photo courtesy of the band URL's Rudy Colombini (Mick Jagger). ( submitted photo )

They've played a long list of venues and towns including Las Vegas, Harrah's in Reno, San Francisco's Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, AT&T Park, the Great American Music Hall, the Cow Palace, and the Rolling Stones 40th Birthday VIP Party. Formed back in 2001, The Unauthorized Rolling Stones have shared their stage with numerous luminaries including Sheryl Crow, Chaka Khan, Elton John, and Journey. The Unauthorized Rolling Stones landed the San Francisco Bay Guardian's top spot pick for "Best Local Cover Band." Saturday night they are playing Pacifica Performances. This marks their fourth time on the Mildred Owen Concert Hall stage. Expect a crowd.

The Unauthorized Rolling Stones, www.theurs.com, are Rudy Colombini (Mick Jagger) on lead, backing vocals, guitar, harmonica and keyboards, Dave Garcia (Keith Richards) on guitar, Mark Banning (Ronnie Wood) on guitar, Jeff Irving (Charlie Watts) on drums, and Kenny Crampton (Bill Wyman) on bass.

"The way we do it, we are the 1989 Stones rather than the 1969 Stones," Colombini said. "I'm 11 years younger than Mick and I think it is useless to try to do somebody that is 24 or 25, when you've long since seen 24 and 25. What I do is Mick around the Voodoo Lounge tour. He is a full man and not trying to do the androgynous thing. That's where I feel comfortable in his shoes."

Pouring their hearts and swagger nearly under the skin of the original English rockers, The URS snarl out some wildly fine music from a long list of Stones' hits including — "Start Me Up," "Let's Spend The Night," "Get Off Of My Cloud," "Let It Bleed," "Under My Thumb," "You Can't Always Get," "Brown Sugar," "Gimme Shelter," "Satisfaction," "Honky Tonk Women" and "Painted Black."

"I got into the Stones around 68 and 69 when the Beatles were 'unofficially' breaking up," Colombini said noting the dissolution of the Beatles really left a void. "I needed someone to replace the Beatles and I got into British pop — the Kinks, the Stones and the Animals."

The San Francisco-born, North Beach-raised Colombini had a chance meeting with John Lennon back in 1972, when Colombini was right out of college with his undergraduate degree in economics. That meeting with Lennon flipped a switch on for Colombini and he followed his passion for singing and songwriting. Now 40 years in the music business, Colombini's music résumé includes contributions to the soundtrack of Francis Ford Coppola's "Rumble Fish." His song "Message of Love" climbed the pop charts. His song "Under the Impression" reached 30 on the Gavin A.C. radio chart. He's opened for bands such as the English and the Beach Boys. His first band, The Stragglers, played gigs at venues which included Cesar's Latin Palace and the San Francisco Art Institute. His bands The Twist and The Divine Comedy played to packed halls throughout the Bay Area. Colombini is also a real estate entrepreneur, as well as a teacher and minister at The Community Miracle Center in San Francisco (since 1990). He is a tireless advocate for the arts.

In 2009, Colombini nearly lost it all to a "full blown" brain aneurism which kept him in the hospital for a month and he said he is thankful that he can still do this.

"To be honest I do a lot of things, really, really bad," the musician laughed. "I'm a mess as a matter of fact. But music I do really well. And there is goodness in the total view. When you spread joy, you have to be joyful spreading it. And that's what it's really all about — spreading the joy. I'm going to do this till I croak."

If you go:

Where: Pacifica Performances Mildred Owen Concert Hall, 1220 Linda Mar Blvd.

When: Saturday, January 25 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $20 general. $17 seniors (62+) and students with current ID. $15 members. $12 senior/student members. Under 18 free.

Tickets: call 650-355-1882 or email info@pacificaperformances.org."

See ? Utterly pointless. That aside, the site is a cracker.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:22:21 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:30 AM »

Yeah the "news" section is irritating. It wasn't always like that right? In my early days of Beach Boys fandom (2002/3ish) that site was my main source of information - all of the reviews, articles, and information about bootlegs was truly illuminating. I seem to recall the news section being compiled of actual news at the time. Maintaining a website can be a challenge, so I don't really blame Mr. Wheadon for automating the news function, but as the "outsider fan with no tangible stake whatsoever" it did kind of kill that site for me. Still, lots of information to be found that can be particularly helpful to people just getting into the band.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: January 23, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »

Yeah the "news" section is irritating. It wasn't always like that right? In my early days of Beach Boys fandom (2002/3ish) that site was my main source of information - all of the reviews, articles, and information about bootlegs was truly illuminating. I seem to recall the news section being compiled of actual news at the time. Maintaining a website can be a challenge, so I don't really blame Mr. Wheadon for automating the news function, but as the "outsider fan with no tangible stake whatsoever" it did kind of kill that site for me. Still, lots of information to be found that can be particularly helpful to people just getting into the band.

Same here - it was a hellish good news site once and I still refer to the reviews of boots and other releases from time to time.

What always really tickled me was that Bret snagged that domain name! Wonder if BRi ever tried to buy it off him?

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: January 23, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »

Where can I get this?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: January 23, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »

Did you know the COPS theme is by Bob Marley?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: January 23, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »

I've heard that "Crimson & Clover" is actually by the Velvet Underground.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: January 23, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »

Where can I get this?

The point is it's a UK Radio Promo. I've seen quite a few go on eBay, though they've slowed up now. I want hold of that backing track!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4620 on: January 23, 2014, 05:20:29 PM »

Where can I get this?

The point is it's a UK Radio Promo. I've seen quite a few go on eBay, though they've slowed up now. I want hold of that backing track!

So quit going on about it and buy one.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: January 23, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »

Where can I get this?

Prices have invariably been too high to date. For me, anyways.

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: January 23, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »

Where can I get this?

Prices have invariably been too high to date. For me, anyways.
+ 1. And at this stage, it's simply enough to hear it; from a Purely Musical perspective

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: January 27, 2014, 05:15:33 AM »

Does anyone know what happen to the Open Sky/Endless Sky DVDs that the great folks at ESQ were doing? A friend let me borrow a few of those DVDs to view and I was just looking on the ESQ site, looks like there was five volumes (I think) and the year was 2010. I really enjoyed what I'd seen, I was just curious if they're still making these or if something happened.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: January 28, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »

Does anyone know what happen to the Open Sky/Endless Sky DVDs that the great folks at ESQ were doing? A friend let me borrow a few of those DVDs to view and I was just looking on the ESQ site, looks like there was five volumes (I think) and the year was 2010. I really enjoyed what I'd seen, I was just curious if they're still making these or if something happened.
Has anyone seen any of these DVDs? I really wanna see the Tony Asher/Alan Boyd interviews.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 190 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx