gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680979 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 04:45:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Latest from Jon (Stebbins, that is)  (Read 13177 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »

I had always assumed that was true until I was allowed to interview Brian. Hell, I started a thread comparing and contrasting Melinda with the Antichrist.

Did you actually say "hi, I'm claymcc from the Smiley Smile MB, can I interview Brian ?".  Smiley

Trust me - all the major BB/BW boards, without exception, are monitored by 'interested parties'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »

Well, given that my name is Clay and my last name begins with McC -- ah, well. I suppose I shouldn't push it any further.

But I was surprised at how willing they were to let Brian talk to folks. He's much less stage-managed than you may expect -- I had to jump over many more hurdles to interview John Adams, the classical composer, a year before. I think a lot of the walls that people perceive as being around him are put there by Brian himself.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2009, 02:46:34 PM »

Well, given that my name is Clay and my last name begins with McC -- ah, well. I suppose I shouldn't push it any further.

But I was surprised at how willing they were to let Brian talk to folks. He's much less stage-managed than you may expect -- I had to jump over many more hurdles to interview John Adams, the classical composer, a year before. I think a lot of the walls that people perceive as being around him are put there by Brian himself.
I think you are evaluating their/his willingness based on a singular and limited perspective. Its like saying... gee they say driving fast is dangerous, but i just went 120 mph down the freeway for a couple minutes and had no trouble at all. I think if you went down that Brian interview road about a dozen more times you might see things differently. Or...maybe you have a knack...I know some people who do. Oh...and apologies to Stebbins for going off-topic here.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2009, 01:57:31 AM »

I had always assumed that was true until I was allowed to interview Brian. Hell, I started a thread comparing and contrasting Melinda with the Antichrist.

Did you actually say "hi, I'm claymcc from the Smiley Smile MB, can I interview Brian ?".  Smiley

Trust me - all the major BB/BW boards, without exception, are monitored by 'interested parties'.
I trust you.  Smiley But why? They are hardly interested in what diehards think when it comes to career management/touring/what unreleased tracks to put on the next compilation, now are they?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2009, 07:25:28 AM »

I trust you.  Smiley But why? They are hardly interested in what diehards think when it comes to career management/touring/what unreleased tracks to put on the next compilation, now are they?

Well... as regards the unreleased tracks bit, the fans were consulted regarding the 1993 box set... but generally, it's more to do with cosmetics and internal leaks. Over on the BBB MB, ah, let's just say somewhere between four and six years ago, I was requested with considerable emphasis to remove a post that reflected badly on a current project, said 'request' emanating from much higher up the food chain. And similarly, my exile from the Bloo came about in like fashion: sometimes, for whatever arcane reason, the truth isn't acceptable to some folk.  Bottom line - what the die-hard/hard-core fans are saying & thinking are not only noted but also, on occasion, acted upon. I know that some (fairly) recent setlist inclusions are down to fan 'requests', as was the reinstatement of "L&M" as the closer during the RFH TLOS run. I think this is a wonderful thing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2009, 08:28:55 AM »

Andrew's last post just reminded me of something...off-topic for sure, but as we're already there...back in 1973 my friend Rob Shepherd (Rob, feel free to comment further) was able to speak with Dennis at the November '73 Anaheim Convention Center concert, and suggested he bring "Forever" back into the setlist.  And guess what...two weeks later, in Philadelphia, there it is...hadn't been heard live in two-and-a-half years, and there it was again (however briefly).  Pretty darn cool, huh?
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2009, 09:40:43 AM »

I remember feeling a need to return to TM in the early seventies, and talking with Carl, (also heavily into it at the time), about how "All This Is That" so perfectly captured the essence of what tm meditating really felt like.  Imagine my surprise when a short time later I heard them rehearsing it to add to the set!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »

In that case, three words: "COOL COOL WATER"

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2009, 01:45:02 AM »

Andrew's last post just reminded me of something...off-topic for sure, but as we're already there...back in 1973 my friend Rob Shepherd (Rob, feel free to comment further) was able to speak with Dennis at the November '73 Anaheim Convention Center concert, and suggested he bring "Forever" back into the setlist.  And guess what...two weeks later, in Philadelphia, there it is...hadn't been heard live in two-and-a-half years, and there it was again (however briefly).  Pretty darn cool, huh?

A very cool story, Craig, but I now realize that I apparently gave you the impression that I made my Forever request November 16th at the Anaheim Convention Center, when I actually made it December 30 in San Diego.  When I spoke to Dennis after the Anaheim concert on Nov. 16th I told him that I really enjoyed the concert but that I felt Mike should stop singing Jumpin' Jack Flash during Beach Boys encores, as it wasn't a Beach Boys song.  (The Stones version has always been one of my favorites, but my preference during Beach Boys concert encores was/is to hear the BBs do a BB song.  I will say that it was quite apparent back then that Mike enjoyed throwing off his shirt and prancing across the stage in Jagger fashion singing Jumpin' Jack Flash.)  Sometime after the conversation with Dennis, I felt like an idiot when I realized that I had commented on Jumpin' Jack Flash but had failed to tell Dennis that Forever was (and to this day still is) my favorite Beach Boys song (actually favorite song by anyone).

I next saw the Beach Boys approx. five weeks later, on Sunday night, Dec. 30 at the San Diego Sports Arena, with my friends Ralph and Botch, and after the concert I decided to try to find Dennis and tell him that Forever was my all time favorite BBs song, and that I would love to hear him and the group perform it in concert.  Backstage I encountered Mike, and asked him if he knew where Dennis was.  Mike said he didn't know, so I asked him if he would relay the message to Dennis that I would love to hear them perform Forever in concert and that they should add it to their set list.  Mike said he would relay my message to Dennis.  And the more I think about it, it's even possible Mike said that they had performed it recently, or that they perform it from time to time, but 36 years later I'm not certain about that.

The next night, Dec. 31, 1973, Ralph and I, along with our girlfriends (whom are now our wives), saw the Beach Boys at the Long Beach Arena for a New Year's Eve concert.  I was hoping to hear Forever, but it wasn't in the set list, which, as I recall, was basically the same as the night before.  The girls had no interest in attempting to go back stage after the concert, and seeing as how we had our girlfriends with us and a couple of rooms waiting at the Long Beach Holiday Inn, Ralph and I didn't argue when they suggested going back to the hotel to celebrate the new year.

MBE
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2009, 01:47:15 AM »

That 12-73 version is interesting because it shows that Dennis' voice was in really good shape as late as then.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2009, 06:06:47 AM »

That 12-73 version is interesting because it shows that Dennis' voice was in really good shape as late as then.

Probably because it was still before the imfaous punch or kick to the throat that he sustained in '74.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2009, 06:13:33 AM »

Who kicked or punched Dennis in 1974 and why?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2009, 06:38:06 AM »

Who kicked or punched Dennis in 1974 and why?

Depends on who's telling the story...one version is Steve Love landed a stray punch during a fistfight, another is Denny was kicked during a baroom brawl.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2009, 08:55:47 AM »

Well... as regards the unreleased tracks bit, the fans were consulted regarding the 1993 box set... but generally, it's more to do with cosmetics and internal leaks. Over on the BBB MB, ah, let's just say somewhere between four and six years ago, I was requested with considerable emphasis to remove a post that reflected badly on a current project, said 'request' emanating from much higher up the food chain. And similarly, my exile from the Bloo came about in like fashion: sometimes, for whatever arcane reason, the truth isn't acceptable to some folk.  Bottom line - what the die-hard/hard-core fans are saying & thinking are not only noted but also, on occasion, acted upon. I know that some (fairly) recent setlist inclusions are down to fan 'requests', as was the reinstatement of "L&M" as the closer during the RFH TLOS run. I think this is a wonderful thing.
Thanks, I didn't realize we were so influential!  Smiley

Now let me try: hello, Brian's management? Can you bring back "'Til I Die" to the set list for Brian's next concert in Sweden, please? Thank you.  * sits back, folds arms and waits *   Smiley

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2009, 10:14:40 AM »

On that note; play Cool, Cool Water! That would be great.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2009, 10:54:21 AM »

On that note; play Cool, Cool Water! That would be great.
Keep it coming, people!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx