gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680997 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 08:04:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sex Pistols to R&R Hall of Fame: Up yours, we're not coming.  (Read 10451 times)
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:55:31 PM »

Here's the statement, posted on both the Pistols and Lydon's websites:

"Next to the SEX PISTOLS, rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain. Your museum. Urine in wine. We're not your monkeys and so what? Fame for $25,000 if we paid for a table, or $15,000 to squeek up in the gallery, goes to a non-profit organization selling us a load of old famous. Congratulations. If you voted for us, hope you noted your reasons. You're anonymous as judges, but you're still music industry people. We're not coming. You're not paying attention. Outside the sh*t-stem is a real SEX PISTOL."
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »

Wow, how subversive.

Roll Eyes

He HAD to say that, really. If they'd showed up and been good, who woulda cared anymore?

PS: Steve Jones' radio show is the best thing ever.
Chris D.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »

Wow, how subversive.

No, I think it is.  I don't think they're just talking to the Hall, but the fans too: "We're not your monkeys and so what?"  People love putting Lydon down now, as if he's done nothing in his whole career.  I'm glad he tells most people to take a hike.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 03:55:43 PM »

That's just one more reason the Pistols were the finest that the British isles had to offer during the punk era.
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 04:16:27 PM »

Amen to you both Chris and Jason. There's NEVER any harm stirring the pot.

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
Jason
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 04:17:56 PM »

Daniele the PUNK CHICA!
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 04:25:03 PM »

Did you not know?
Never go to heaven

Jason
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 04:34:38 PM »

Did you not know?
Never go to heaven

I don't invest much time in ascertaining the histories of people who post here, Daniele.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 06:22:06 PM »

It would have been more subersive if they'd shown up, played a few songs, dressed nice, said "thank you" to everybody, and then left.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 06:23:47 PM »

It would have been more subersive if they'd shown up, played a few songs, dressed nice, said "thank you" to everybody, and then left.

I must agree.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 06:44:54 PM »

Yeah, that woulda been subversive for the Sex Pistols, maybe, insofar as it would've contradicted their image as punks. But showing up and being nice is not by definition "subversive." Would you respect them any more for playing at that piece of sh*t the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame? I wouldn't. They reformed in '96 already and everybody cried "sellout." Why should they get back together for a bunch of dilettantes? f*** that. They absolutely did the right thing, even if it was predictable.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 06:47:24 PM »

But showing up and being nice is not by definition "subversive."

Nah, you show up, play nice, THEN f*** the whole thing up. That's subversive. What the Beatles did.
Otherwise it's just boring political manifestoes that no one pays any attention to.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 08:16:04 PM »

But showing up and being nice is not by definition "subversive."

Nah, you show up, play nice, THEN foda the whole thing up. That's subversive. What the Beatles did.
Otherwise it's just boring political manifestoes that no one pays any attention to.

Maybe, but it fits with rejecting their spot on that stupid Rhino box.  I think they're tired of everyone jumping on the punk bandwagon in the past few years.  Besides, if they showed up and acted nice, everyone would know it was a joke right away.  Look at who we're talking about.  Like it says in the letter, you're not paying attention.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 09:32:31 PM »

Sounds to me like they're taking themselves and the hall of fame a little too seriously.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 09:53:24 PM »

I feel like I've been cheated, somehow...

Watch out for snakes!
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 09:54:44 PM »

Balls to You All!@!!!!!!!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 11:36:02 PM »

Nah, you show up, play nice, THEN foda the whole thing up. That's subversive.

Yet another reason why Mike Love is a true punk rock icon.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 02:03:20 AM »

Maybe Lydon and co have taken their cue from Bob Dylan.  Last year Dylan was inducted into the UK RnR Hall of Fame except he wasn't there at the ceremony because he was performing live that night at a UK venue!  As I understand it, the organisers wanted to do a live link up to the concert where Dylan would receive his 'induction' or whatever, a standard sort of thing with these type of ceremonies.  But Bobby wasn't having any of it.  In the event Woody Harrelson (?!) accepted the induction on Dylan's behalf.  A bland statement was put out by Dylan's organisation afterwards saying how very honoured he was etc etc.  I think the organisers were pretty dismayed by Dylan's non-co-operation, what with him actually being in UK at the time.   

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 05:00:35 AM »

They absolutely did the right thing, even if it was predictable.

Maybe I just expected a press statement that didn't sound like it was written by an inarticulate 20-year-old. Lydon's been dinking with the press for 30 years and that's the best he can do? "You're not paying attention?" Dude, we're paying attention. Even the rock hall yahoos are "paying attention."

Its more likely they just dont' *care*. I mean, duh, of course they HAVE to honor them by admitting them. They can't just ignore 'em.
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 07:50:55 AM »

Like Michael Moore, the job of people like Lydon is not to solve the world's issues, but to point to them asclearly as their mind will let them.

Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 09:06:30 AM »

Quote from: Old Rake
Maybe I just expected a press statement that didn't sound like it was written by an inarticulate 20-year-old.
Jon, have you seen the letter? It's kinda scary, looks like one of those Zodiac Killer or Son of Sam letters. When I transcribed it, I corrected some bad spelling and punctuation. I'm a lilttle surprised to see someone as intelligent as Lydon could use a little summer school.

Anyway, I think it's great, I've been on a big Pistols kick for about a month, so the timing is perfect. This is exactly what they should have done IMO. I wouldn't have wanted them to show up and act thankful and assimilated, I wouldn't have wanted them to show up and act like arrogant, embarrassing assholes. The thing to do was to blow it off. I wasn't expecting such a vitriolic flipping of the bird, but it seems appropriate coming from them. I think he's completely sincere, too, I'd say he did this (and pulled the rest of the band behind him) because he felt it, not because it's what everyone was waiting for. And on a superficial level, I have to say it's kinda exciting to see them, even briefly, back in the public eye as Sex Pistols again rather than former Sex Pistols.

Oh, I think Steve and John are going to be appearing together on Jimmy Kimmel's show sometime in March, I think it might be March 10, if anyone wants to catch it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 09:09:14 AM by Chance » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 03:13:52 PM »

It would matter if they hadn't done a "Take the money and run" world tour reunion. Or if Lydon showed one pint of sense of humour. He must always be ... in charge. He's boring.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
GP1138
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 03:36:03 PM »

Like Michael Moore, the job of people like Lydon is not to solve the world's issues, but to point to them asclearly as their mind will let them.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Michael Moore.... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 04:22:21 PM »

Yet another reason why Mike Love is a true punk rock icon.

Took the words out of my mouth.

See, we're still talking about that to this day.  Who will be talking about the Pistol's snub in a decade or so?
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 05:05:31 PM »

I hope you're being sarcastic. Michael Moore.... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

She's not being sarcastic. Agree or disagree with the guy, he definitely raises some interesting issues.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx