gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 07:17:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vocals on Holland  (Read 5717 times)
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:40:44 PM »

So I've been listening to Holland a lot lately. A lot.

Is that Brian doing the high background part on "Steamboat," mostly on the right channel. It definitely sounds like him to me, but is there any proof, confirming or otherwise? And who is doing those über-deep bass vocals in the left channel? Is it Mike or Dennis?

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »

The bass is Dennis.  Seems there was a debate about the high part in the vocal credits thread but I don't remember what it was.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »

Not 100% on topic, but... This afternoon I was listening to the first side of Holland at loud volume and while "Steamboat" might not be among the group's greatest ever in terms of songwriting, the production still strikes me as nothing short of mesmerizing. Would love to hear that track without the vocals. Did they achieve those percussion sounds by slowing down an actual drum beat?

Big fan of the 1972 arrangement of "Big Sur", by the way. The group vocals complimenting the final verse of this song never fail to amaze me. I think they're gorgeous. What an album...
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »

Not 100% on topic, but... This afternoon I was listening to the first side of Holland at loud volume and while "Steamboat" might not be among the group's greatest ever in terms of songwriting, the production still strikes me as nothing short of mesmerizing. Would love to hear that track without the vocals. Did they achieve those percussion sounds by slowing down an actual drum beat?

Big fan of the 1972 arrangement of "Big Sur", by the way. The group vocals complimenting the final verse of this song never fail to amaze me. I think they're gorgeous. What an album...

Those vibes or whatever crawling all over "Steamboat" totally blow me away. And are you talking about Al's "ooohh"s at the end of the "Big Sur"? Great backing.

Really the whole album is quickly climbing up my list of favorites. It's been getting me very hyped about a trip I'm going to be taking to Yosemite in a couple weeks. Holland's always given off this very woodsy, organic vibe...it sounds what Northern and wild California looks like, and rings very authentic rather than pretentious, as some seem to find it.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 03:55:49 PM »

Holland I have to admit is one of the albums I fell out of love with. Not sure specifically why - maybe it's an album where Brian feels less present - but the positive comments here, especially the enthusiasm for steamboat, make me want to go and dig it out again.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »

Since we're somewhat on that topic, which songs was Brian vocally present on? "California" obviously, and maybe "Funky Pretty" although I don't think I can hear him on there. Are there any other songs he's possibly on. Or for that matter, they he even played on besides "Funky Pretty"?
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »

Since we're somewhat on that topic, which songs was Brian vocally present on? "California" obviously, and maybe "Funky Pretty" although I don't think I can hear him on there. Are there any other songs he's possibly on. Or for that matter, they he even played on besides "Funky Pretty"?

Apparently Brian is on Funky Pretty. He plays drums (hardly!) and sings, backing vocals. Apparently he's the one saying "funky pretty gone". You can hear that, buried deep in the mix at about 2:22-2:25 and continuing thereon. I don't know if there's any proof but it also sounds like he's in the backing vocal blend of "The Trader". Though I guess it could be someone else. And "Steamboat," or at least that sounds a lot like him singing those high backing parts. To me anyway.

Holland I have to admit is one of the albums I fell out of love with. Not sure specifically why - maybe it's an album where Brian feels less present - but the positive comments here, especially the enthusiasm for steamboat, make me want to go and dig it out again.

Brian's minimal presence makes his music on this album seem even more arcane and mythic than usual to me. That creepy photo of him on the back (note new avatar) and Mt Vernon and Fairway only serve to reinforce this.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:37:19 PM by slothrop » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »

So I've been listening to Holland a lot lately. A lot.

Is that Brian doing the high background part on "Steamboat," mostly on the right channel. It definitely sounds like him to me, but is there any proof, confirming or otherwise? And who is doing those über-deep bass vocals in the left channel? Is it Mike or Dennis?

"Steamboat" is one of the "Holland" songs that Marilyn & Diane said they were on (in an interview with AGD some years back).  Without digging it out to listen at the moment, I would guess the high part is possibly one or both of them.  I will say that I've always thought I could make out Ricky's voice on there, singing a mid-rangey part in the "Oh, don't worry Mr. Fulton" refrain.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 04:25:31 PM »

"Steamboat" is one of the "Holland" songs that Marilyn & Diane said they were on (in an interview with AGD some years back).  Without digging it out to listen at the moment, I would guess the high part is possibly one or both of them.  I will say that I've always thought I could make out Ricky's voice on there, singing a mid-rangey part in the "Oh, don't worry Mr. Fulton" refrain.

Interesting. Complicates things.

The part I think is Brian specifically starts on the second verse--at exactly 1:03 (when Carl says "jasper") a high voice abruptly cuts in, on the right channel. Singing something like "huhn nah" and variations of. When it does a falsetto "huuuh" at 1:48-53 I'm almost positive it's Brian. If I only had the isolated vocal tracks. There is so much (vocally and instrumentally) going on in this song.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:59:33 PM »

It is indeed Brian. 

Brian's on that, Funky Pretty (I've heard the isolated version), California, and that's about it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 07:59:05 PM »

Brian is also said to do the, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUNKY" at the end of the song, although he's been sped up.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:26:11 PM »

Steamboat wouldn't be too out of place on Dark Side of the Moon IMO!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »

Good one. It's almost got a proto-industrial vibe to it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »

It is indeed Brian. 
Brian's on that, Funky Pretty (I've heard the isolated version), California, and that's about it.

Wow, thanks for the confirmation. It might be a sign of my increasingly unstable obsession with these guys but it was bugging me. I thought I was crazy hearing Brian when others couldn't make him out.

Good one. It's almost got a proto-industrial vibe to it.

It's very evocative. "Sounds" like a "steamboat" at least.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »

Yeah, once you know what to listen for, it's *real* obvious.  What's crazy is finding out that even when Brian wasn't active, he was still active, if you kin. Really, the only albums that I cannot make him out on vocally are LA Light and (obviously) SIP.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 04:48:49 AM »

Brian's minimal presence makes his music on this album seem even more arcane and mythic than usual to me. That creepy photo of him on the back (note new avatar) and Mt Vernon and Fairway only serve to reinforce this.

Couldn't agree more, in fact I think this is what really turned me on to Holland in the first place. When I first discovered the group's catalogue (in 2000 or 2001 I think) I was hesitant to even buy the record as I had read it had virtually no Brian involvement at all. Then I had a look at the credits and noticed his major contributions to "Funky Pretty" and the fairy tale (plus "Sail On, Sailor", of which I had read before). It all seemed rather mysterious to me and I guess his role in the making of the BB's early seventies work continues to puzzle me to this very day. Even when Brian used to be mostly absent from the group it seems like his shadow was looming all over the group's records. Love the fairy tale, by the way, I think it's very underrated. Too bad Tom Petty didn't like it, but I think he really should've kept that to himself.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 05:22:19 AM »

That's one of the many things I love about the "Surf's Up - So Tough- Holland" trilogy. Even when the others were at their songwriting, performing and producing peak just the odd song or contribution from Brian manages to change the whole tone and feel of the record. Hell! Forget Smile for just a minute and imagine what Brian would have achieved if he'd been 100% committed and focused in '71-'73.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »

Steamboat wouldn't be too out of place on Dark Side of the Moon IMO!

That has been remarked before. If you take the original line up of side A - so without SOS and ending with We Got Love - starting off the album with Steamboat gives Holland totally different feel. And indeed similar like Dark Side Of The Moon starts.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »

Apparently Brian is on Funky Pretty. He plays drums (hardly!) and sings, backing vocals. Apparently he's the one saying "funky pretty gone". You can hear that, buried deep in the mix at about 2:22-2:25 and continuing thereon. I don't know if there's any proof but it also sounds like he's in the backing vocal blend of "The Trader". Though I guess it could be someone else. And "Steamboat," or at least that sounds a lot like him singing those high backing parts. To me anyway.

Yeah, he doesn't look like a bandmember at all

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 10:25:23 PM »

Yeah, he doesn't look like a bandmember at all

Why not? Cuz he wasn't in a live setting? Neither was Dennis....all the rest of the guys were though. Oddly enough.
MBE
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »

It is indeed Brian. 

Billy you are dead on. Steamboat always stuck out to me. Of course Brian was also very vocally present on Mt. Vernon. He's singing the "Magic Transistor Radio" lead with Carl and did many other backgrounds and of course the Pied Piper voice.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 01:09:18 PM »

there's just something, besides the atmosphere, his face, hair; maybe I dont see enough pics of Brian from that era...The only other one I can think of is what he looks like on the back of So tough

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »

there's just something, besides the atmosphere, his face, hair; maybe I dont see enough pics of Brian from that era...The only other one I can think of is what he looks like on the back of So tough

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1990.msg73662.html#msg73662

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1990.msg125702.html#msg125702
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 02:53:12 PM »

I know what you mean. More than the other Beach Boys, photographs of Brian seem to bring out different emotions in me. Some of those 1972-1974 pictures are disturbing, almost like you can see the demons creeping in. And, it makes you wish you could travel back in time and rescue him, whisk him away from the influences...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »

I know what you mean. More than the other Beach Boys, photographs of Brian seem to bring out different emotions in me. Some of those 1972-1974 pictures are disturbing, almost like you can see the demons creeping in. And, it makes you wish you could travel back in time and rescue him, whisk him away from the influences...

EXACTLY!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx