gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 02:13:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paley Sessions arrangements  (Read 5587 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 03:13:10 PM »

Jeez, get yourself both the Gershwin & Disney albums immediately, Brians vocals are fantastic and the Gershwin album might just be the most satisfying of his solo career. I am however of the opinion that the Paley sessions could have produced his finest solo album had the tracks been completed. 

Agreed. The standard of songs and arrangements are imo superior to Imagination and GIOMH. Even in its somewhat lo-fi sound quality and making allowances for BW's rather erratic vocals, I class the Wilson-Paley Sessions as much of a BW solo album as any he's officially released. A highly enjoyable record (if viewed as a record, not as a collection of unreleased, unfinished songs).

I hope that someday, sooner rather than later, this material will see offical release in excellent sound quality. If nothing else, it -could be the centre piece of a rare and unreleased BW solo box-set at some point - unlikely I know  Grin

That's making some pretty big allowances. The productions and arrangements are simply unfinished, Brian's parts often seem to be scratch vocals, and a sizable chunk of the material is less than inspired. That being said, a lot of it is quite good, and some of the less-booted songs are high points ("Some Sweet Day" is one of my favorite latter day BW pieces).
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »

Of course, we have all (I assume) listening to the Paley sessions that were leaked from a cassette copy, which certainly imparts a decidedly analog sound.

An interesting assumption, to be sure.
If you have pristine copies, you'll have to prove it to me :-)

Ahh, it was worth a try, anyway.

- B00ts
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 04:10:59 PM »

Jeez, get yourself both the Gershwin & Disney albums immediately, Brians vocals are fantastic and the Gershwin album might just be the most satisfying of his solo career. I am however of the opinion that the Paley sessions could have produced his finest solo album had the tracks been completed. 

Agreed. The standard of songs and arrangements are imo superior to Imagination and GIOMH. Even in its somewhat lo-fi sound quality and making allowances for BW's rather erratic vocals, I class the Wilson-Paley Sessions as much of a BW solo album as any he's officially released. A highly enjoyable record (if viewed as a record, not as a collection of unreleased, unfinished songs).

I hope that someday, sooner rather than later, this material will see offical release in excellent sound quality. If nothing else, it -could be the centre piece of a rare and unreleased BW solo box-set at some point - unlikely I know  Grin

That's making some pretty big allowances. The productions and arrangements are simply unfinished, Brian's parts often seem to be scratch vocals, and a sizable chunk of the material is less than inspired. That being said, a lot of it is quite good, and some of the less-booted songs are high points ("Some Sweet Day" is one of my favorite latter day BW pieces).

I realise I am being generous to the vocals and production, but material like the original versions of Gettin in Over My Head and Soul Searchin and especially unreleased gems like It's Not Easy Being Me, Chain Reaction of Love and You're Still a Mystery are wonderful songs that the Beach Boys could do worse than re-record for their new album.

Also, Brian's voice is imo in better shape here than it was during the 15 Big Ones/ Love You era, for example, even if there are a few moments on Wilson-Paley where his wayward voice makes me cringe a little.

I think it's partly the feeling that Brian was having a major creative explosion in 94-95 and was simply having a ball playing his and Andy's new music, with the subtext of finally being free of Landy. IMO there's an energy, an exuberence and sense of fun in these recordings that is lacking in the rest of Brian's solo catalogue, much as I like/ love BW's solo work.

And I'm totally with you on Some Sweet Day - highly underrated - that song almost brings tears to my eyes  Smiley For some reason, it take mes back to  BW stuff from Sunflower, like This Whole World, Add Some Music to Your Day and Our Sweet Love.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »

I always put the lesser vocals to the fact that Brian seemed to be writing this material in mind for The Beach Boys. So yeah, they are scratch vocals. This is completely out of sync with his usual working pattern for the group, so maybe Paley encouraged him to commit those to tape instead of waiting for the band?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »

Brian had no competent management at the time. That's the tragedy of these sessions and this material.

Andy deferred to Brian. Brian wanted to make a Beach Boys record, but was profoundly conflicted (there are some great interviews from the time where he says crazy things about Carl not being able to sing, and bad-mouthing the boys, while at the same time talking about how great they are). And Melinda wanted Brian to be active as a musician again.

Out of all of that, Brian once again abandoned some ambitious work in favor of low-key remakes. Where have we seen that pattern before?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx