gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680976 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 11:39:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another S**t stirring article in The Independent today !  (Read 86214 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: September 28, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »

What is wrong with Mike et al stating the truth as it stood at the time in reaction to a misunderstanding by a vendor as to who was going to be at the future post reunion concerts to avoid future confusion? It seems to me the only real problem is a bunch of over reaction to a truth.

Mike's press release didn't seem to be aimed at clearing up confusion about one particular gig. It read as a warning (couched in favorable terms, the good vibrations will continue, etc.) to any and all who would read the statement that after 9/28, you will be getting his version of the BB's at any future show. Yes, informationally, this is 100% accurate. Nobody is debating that. They are debating the timing of it, and the need to do it at all. Additionally of course is the issue of stopping more potential reunion shows.

AGD awhile back pointed out correctly that the press release is a bit of extra CYA in case venues or promoters or ticket buyers express concern or confusion. But it probably wasn't even absolutely needed. Venues that are already booked may have asked for such a press release, but that (as with most everything) is only speculation.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:36:23 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: September 28, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »

What is wrong with Mike et al stating the truth as it stood at the time in reaction to a misunderstanding by a vendor as to who was going to be at the future post reunion concerts to avoid future confusion? It seems to me the only real problem is a bunch of over reaction to a truth.

Mike's press release didn't seem to be aimed at clearing up confusion about one particular gig. It read as a warning (couched in favorable terms, the good vibrations will continue, etc.) to any and all who would read the statement that after 9/28, you will be getting his version of the BB's at any future show. Yes, informationally, this is 100% accurate. Nobody is debating that. They are debating the timing of it, and the need to do it at all. Additionally of course is the issue of stopping more potential reunion shows.

AGD awhile back pointed out correctly that the press release is a bit of extra CYA in case venues or promoters or ticket buyers express concern or confusion. But it probably wasn't even absolutely needed. Venues that are already booked may have asked for such a press release, but that (as with most everything) is only speculation.

And consider that anyone in a leadership role in either the booking, management, or publicity departments in general for any party involved should have anticipated and planned ahead for such confusion, and perhaps have NOT...

...I repeat...NOT...have allowed any band member to issue statements like this, especially before a major gig generally seen as the last stop of a successful, positive tour.

But, that's the Beach Boys for ya.  Smiley It really has saddened me to see all of this trying to overshadow the actual positives of this past summer.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »

If it does overshadow the tour and album, it is the fault of the "fans" in my opinion, who find far, far more enjoyment in hating Mike Love than they do in loving The Beach Boys.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2012, 11:48:16 AM »

As much as fan-dom gets taken to extremes, that only goes so far when you now have major media outlets reporting the story as it has been reported today. Those media people for the most part are not that type of fan who decides to use their free time to circulate petitions about what their fave band The Beach Boys should or shouldn't do - they're in the business of reporting (and making money for their sponsors), and look at what the coverage has produced so far! If it were the online petition people only doing this, we'd chalk it up to typical fanboy antics, but this went beyond that realm. Now "The Eagles" have chimed in...oh, great!

It is surreal to see all of this.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »

As much as fan-dom gets taken to extremes, that only goes so far when you now have major media outlets reporting the story as it has been reported today. Those media people for the most part are not that type of fan who decides to use their free time to circulate petitions about what their fave band The Beach Boys should or shouldn't do - they're in the business of reporting (and making money for their sponsors), and look at what the coverage has produced so far! If it were the online petition people only doing this, we'd chalk it up to typical fanboy antics, but this went beyond that realm. Now "The Eagles" have chimed in...oh, great!

It is surreal to see all of this.

The media caters to the closest point of group hysteria. Without all the hatred, they wouldn't bother to sensationalize it. Also, the behaviour of the "fans" can't be helping the situation within the band at all. They should thank themselves when the true Beach Boys never reunite again.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »

Consider this, I know I have been doing that after watching this thing grow and grow...This is CBS news, the LA Times, Rolling Stone - they're not fanzines, they're not rags, they're not someone's cheap-ass blog where they live out an "Almost Famous" fantasy of being a rock critic writing on an iPad while waiting for algebra class to start...these publications and sources have entire teams of supposed fact-checkers and legal advisers whose sole job it is to make sure the stories are accurate and that they won't get sued for libel or worse before they hit the public.

So it becomes a case of either those major media outlets being *that sloppy* in their journalism, or the way this was handled by the Beach Boys and certain members and managers being either that true, or them being that naive or incompetent to not see storm clouds forming over these comments.

You make a really valid point about social media.  As fun as it seems, and a game changer socially, as we've seen with Egypt last year, it can be treacherous. And, here, wow, the waters are muddied.  You also make a good point as to clarity for people such as non-fan spouses who buy tix, and don't know, that as a result of the reunion, there might be confusion.

It is cool to post photos, and updates.  Some people put out TMI and minute-by-minute stuff. Most people have Facebook pages, and now employers feel they can investigate whether a person drinks,  and voila, the job candidate has posted, or had a friend post a photo of them dancing on a table!  No job!  So prudence is much in need for this kind of media.  And people and old friends can connect, but, just as many horror stories emerge.  

I read that book and I was troubled reading it.  I found it overly voyeuristic as Facebook can be.  And some of these bullying cases and deaths by suicide have resulted from this compulsion to "put it all out there."  That media comes with a price.  Is facebook a "tool" or a "weapon?"  

And,  now, there is the  "two banner" phenomenon.  We (here, for the most part) know the differences, because we've made it our business to know who the players are, but the casual fans might not.  And, for them,  a statement such as was made, might have been required.  Was it a "pink slip?"  I guess that is the question or the crux of the misunderstanding.

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

Exactly. I'm constantly seeing reposts / shares by casual or non fans who feel free to pontificate and pile on. In that world, I'm trying to calm people off the ledge and engage them in the big picture. But when I'm amongst fans, I'm tempted to push Mike and Bruce off the same ledge! Funny that...

I kind of feel the same way when I discuss the economics of baseball and the bottom-dollar skinflint ownership of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 28, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »

If it does overshadow the tour and album, it is the fault of the "fans" in my opinion, who find far, far more enjoyment in hating Mike Love than they do in loving The Beach Boys.

Indeed Sad

I know this won't be a popular opinion: but perhaps if so many "fans" hadn't spent the last 30 + years openly and gleefully bashing, trashing, insulting, denigrating Mike Love, he might, at this late date, consider giving a rats ass what they think about his decisions or behavior.

it's just something to think about.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:33:27 PM by Erik H » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »

I disagree that it's the fault of the fans, or that they enjoy hating Mike more than loving the BB's. I dunno what's being said on facebook and twitter and all of that, where a bunch of semi-fans or even non-fan s***-disturbers can easily pile on Mike (or anybody else).

But among fans on this board, for instance, I'm seeing largely a sense of our love for the Beach Boys being the root of frustration over Mike's recent decisions and announcements. That magic of the reunion only works with all of them there, including Mike.

As long as there is the ability to put together all five surviving Beach Boys with a great backing band and have them do a FREAKING 61-SONG SET like they did last night, I'm more than willing to say that that is now the standard by which anything that comes after it will be measured, in terms of live shows anyway.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 28, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »

I wasn't speaking of this board. But it is a mistake to assume the attitudes and behaviour here reflects that of the fanbase at large. What I saw on Facebook and other places is fairly horrifying.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #285 on: September 28, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »

I wasn't dismissing the article or writer, I was just amused at the adjectiferous praise of OldMikeFan.
As long as we're splitting hairs here, "adjectiferous", is not a word in the English language. The one you should have used is adjectival. Razz
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 28, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »

I wasn't dismissing the article or writer, I was just amused at the adjectiferous praise of OldMikeFan.
As long as we're splitting hairs here, "adjectiferous", is not a word in the English language. The one you should have used is adjectival. Razz

I know that, I just wanted to evoke the hilariosity of your praiseification.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 28, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »

That magic of the reunion only works with all of them there, including Mike.

Right.  The magic was there during the reunion....but the reunion is now over.  Mike is moving on with his own band, clearly not labeling it as a reunion.  The world goes on and Mike isn't stopping for anyone or anything. 

As long as there is the ability to put together all five surviving Beach Boys with a great backing band and have them do a FREAKING 61-SONG SET like they did last night, I'm more than willing to say that that is now the standard by which anything that comes after it will be measured, in terms of live shows anyway.

The more I think about this, the more I realize just how impossible it is to think that this current arrangement could possibly go on forever.  It just can't.  It's as if we all just attended the best house party in the world and we want the host and hostess to throw a party every weekend now.  Easy for us to say...we're just attending.  We're not the ones planning it, preparing for it and paying for it.  They'll probaly reunite again...just not right now.  Until then, things go back to how they were.  The band has survived Dennis' passing and then Carl's passing without even blinking an eye; they still marched on.  Why would this reunion suddenly change the gameplan?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #288 on: September 28, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »

Indeed Sad

I know this won't be a popular opinion: but perhaps if so many "fans" hadn't spent the last 30 + years openly and gleefully bashing, trashing, insulting, denigrating Mike Love, he might, at this late date, consider giving a rats ass what they think about his decisions or behavior.

it's just something to think about.

Right. So, you know, just ignore all the petty lawsuits, dubious politics and horrendous Hall of Fame speeches... Mike acts like an arse, hence people - fans and others - think he's one. Something else to think about.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 28, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »

Let's all chill out and head over to Nutty Jerry's.  It will be a nutty time!

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: September 28, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »

I'll need to pass on the blood sausage app but I'll try one of those "Fried pickles." NUTTY!

http://nuttyjerrys.com/images/NuttyJerrys%20Menu.pdf

We probably shouldn't go while Don Gay's Championship Bullride National Finals is going on, tho.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:49:19 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 28, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »

What some fans are saying is not surprising.  I did a search of Beach Boys videos a few months ago on YouTube, and almost all of them were filled with really ugly comments about Mike Love.  Even if I hated Mike Love, I can't imagine saying things like "I'd like to kick Mike Love in the nutsack until he vomits," or wish other terrible things on him.   Along with more than a few comments that Mike Love was the one person responsible for Brian Wilson becoming mentally ill.  There's actually quite a few people on the Internet who seem to believe that.  I'm sure a lot of it comes from reading Brian's "autobiography" or articles that were inspired by either that or the Leaf and Priore books. The truth is more complex than that, of course, but it amazes me that people take what happens to Brian Wilson so personally.  It's a little scary and if I were Brian and his family, I'd worry more about a few of those fans and their excessive admiration than I would about Mike Love.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »

Oh, I'm sure Brian has been absolutely petrified of his fans for decades.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: September 28, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »

Is Nutty Jerry's considered a good gig in that area? I guess the odd name suggests a booking worthy of Spinal Tap, but without knowing the place or the area I don't want to assume too much.  Grin

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 28, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »

Is Nutty Jerry's considered a good gig in that area? I guess the odd name suggests a booking worthy of Spinal Tap, but without knowing the place or the area I don't want to assume too much.  Grin

Will the puppet show be before or after The Beach Boys?

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

As much as I'd like to hear more about that place, I don't want the facts to disturb my mental picture of a Texas entrepreneur named "Nutty Jerry"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »

As long as the Boys have bigger dressing rooms than the puppets.  Grin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: September 28, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »

As much as I'd like to hear more about that place, I don't want the facts to disturb my mental picture of a Texas entrepreneur named "Nutty Jerry"

I'm thinking Ol' Jerry might have a special tap installed in his place that pours barbecue sauce instead of beer.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »

As long as the Boys have bigger dressing rooms than the puppets.  Grin

Or maybe the puppets and the Boys all share the same wardrobe stylist:

http://www.maryrobinettekowal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Top-17.jpg
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:22:23 PM by Erik H » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »

Ah ok. Well for those who've never read him, here's Alexis's excellent review of All I Want For Xmas (written, of course, prior to the release of That Lucky Old Sun):

In the five years since meeting LA indie band the Wondermints, Brian Wilson has done things that no one had previously thought possible. The former Beach Boys leader has re-created his 1966 masterpiece, Pet Sounds, live. Last year, he finally completed the most famous unfinished album in rock history, 1967's Smile.

Amid the critical acclaim, however, Wilson and the Wondermints' other release of 2004, Gettin' in Over My Head, proved much more problematic. It too went to unbelievable lengths - panning 14 years' worth of unreleased songs for material and calling upon the services of Paul McCartney, Elton John and Eric Clapton - but proved only that Wilson was incapable of making a decent new album. With that in mind, and no more unfinished masterpieces to complete, the Wilson-Wondermints partnership should have retired with dignity intact after Smile. But Wilson is probably more famous now than at any time since the mid-1960s, and there is money to be made.

You can see why Wilson might want another go at producing a Christmas album: it was the one thing his rival Phil Spector achieved that Wilson, despite several attempts, couldn't top - at least until Spector managed to get himself charged with murdering a B-movie actress. Even at 22, when Wilson seemed capable of pretty much anything, he couldn't manage it. The Beach Boys Christmas Album was released in 1964, the year of I Get Around, Don't Worry Baby, Fun Fun Fun, and All Summer Long. But it was their fourth album in 12 months, their ninth in two years. Two weeks after it was released, Wilson had a nervous breakdown en route to a gig in Houston. Few Beach Boys releases bear such stark testament to the crippling pressure their songwriter and producer was under. The material is thin - on one bootleg, Wilson himself is heard describing Christmas Day as "a f***ing piece of sh*t" - and the arrangements schmaltzy. Played next to Spector's legendary A Christmas Gift for You, it sounds desperately hokey.

Played next to their later effort, however - 1977's Merry Christmas From the Beach Boys - it sounds like a work of untrammelled genius. A contractual obligation album so pitiful that the label they were contractually obliged to turned it down, the 1977 effort features a song called (Loop de Loop Flip Flop) Santa's Got an Airplane and another containing the chorus: "Melekalikimaka is 'Happy Christmas' in Hawaiian talk-a." These, it should be noted, were the tracks eventually considered worthy of release 20 years later. They left the really bad stuff in the vaults.

That, sadly, is where What I Really Want for Christmas should be. For all its awfulness, at least Merry Christmas From the Beach Boys has a horrible fascination about it, albeit of the craning-your-neck-to-see-inside-the-ambulance variety. What I Really Want For Christmas is the least fascinating album of Wilson's career, and may well be the least fascinating album of Christmas - which, given the seasonal presence of G4 in the charts, is not a phrase to bandy lightly. It features two new songs: Christmassy, which is appalling, and the title track, which is even worse.

There are remakes of the two best tracks from the Beach Boys' Christmas Album, Little Saint Nick and The Man With All the Toys, which - thanks to the weirdly emotionless, strained bark that constitutes Wilson's default vocal setting these days - conclusively wring the last drops of joy from the material. The rest are carols, rendered in a peculiarly unappealing Pet Sounds-cum-1980s-AOR style. They serve no purpose whatsoever beyond proving that the Wondermints can do a pretty accurate Beach Boys impression, something even the most bewildered observer - plucking a name at random, Brian Wilson, say - must have worked out by now.

You have to concede that Wilson's relationship with the Wondermints has given him a new lease of life. But to what end? To bark his way haltingly through We Wish You a Merry Christmas like a hostage reading a prepared statement from his captors? If the organisation around Wilson really wanted to give Beach Boys fans a Christmas present, they should, as Pet Sounds suggested, go away for a while and leave this fragile, confused man in peace. This, by contrast, is pure humbug.

That  ^^^^ is an excellent article/review. Obviously, I agree with it. OK, back to today's debacle...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx