gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 07:51:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian - Asian translator???  (Read 2057 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »

A friend of mine (who lives in LA) went to a signing session in Los Angeles in the early 90's - not sure what year but it must have been when Landy was still in control or just after? Anyway, apparently he had an asian translator? Is this true? Does anyone know?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 12:07:19 PM »

A friend of mine (who lives in LA) went to a signing session in Los Angeles in the early 90's - not sure what year but it must have been when Landy was still in control or just after? Anyway, apparently he had an asian translator? Is this true? Does anyone know?

An Asian translator?  For what, conversing with non-English speaking Asian fans?  And was he/she multilingual, so they could cover Japanese, two dialects of Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.?  It doesn't sound correct to me.  Although Brian was surrounded by a small entourage when I went to his book signing in San Francisco in 1991, including people to turn the page to where he would sign it.  Brian spent all the time I waited in line and went up to him staring straight off into space (and I don't mean looking down; staring straight ahead, without moving or blinking).  He didn't say a word to anyone.  I don't think he was that into conversing with fans at that point, so I doubt he'd bother with a translator.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »

Brian spent all the time I waited in line and went up to him staring straight off into space (and I don't mean looking down; staring straight ahead, without moving or blinking).  He didn't say a word to anyone.  I don't think he was that into conversing with fans at that point, so I doubt he'd bother with a translator.

Unless it was someone to translate Silent-Empty Brian-Stare into English (or, apparently, some Asian language).

Vacant Stare ----> Brian says he wishes you brought him a steak.
Empthy Gaze ---> Brian asks if you know Danny Hutton, and if you have any coke.
etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »

An Asian translator?  For what, conversing with non-English speaking Asian fans?  And was he/she multilingual, so they could cover Japanese, two dialects of Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.?  It doesn't sound correct to me.  Although Brian was surrounded by a small entourage when I went to his book signing in San Francisco in 1991, including people to turn the page to where he would sign it.  Brian spent all the time I waited in line and went up to him staring straight off into space (and I don't mean looking down; staring straight ahead, without moving or blinking).  He didn't say a word to anyone.  I don't think he was that into conversing with fans at that point, so I doubt he'd bother with a translator.

Well thats just what I was told. And by Asian Translator I mean that the person was asian who translated English for Brian (As I said thats just what I was told) because apparently he wasn't capable of communicating. Ive got a photo of the guy sitting next to Brian. But I dont have a scanner
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:28:28 AM »

If it was a signing session for the book (pretty much a given), it was between 10/21/91 and 11/15/91, right at the end of Landy's 2nd spell with Brian... but for the life of me I can't understand why he'd need a translator - the Surf Nazis were in constant attendance, plus Brian was basically doped to the eyeballs anyway.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 04:00:03 AM »

If it was a signing session for the book (pretty much a given), it was between 10/21/91 and 11/15/91, right at the end of Landy's 2nd spell with Brian... but for the life of me I can't understand why he'd need a translator - the Surf Nazis were in constant attendance, plus Brian was basically doped to the eyeballs anyway.

If I EVER get a scanner then I will scan the photo and upload it here. My friend was probably wrong but Ill still upload this photo of the "translator".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 04:35:28 AM »

That would be neat. I have a very vague notion who it might be, but I'm probably wrong.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:48:04 AM »

That would be neat. I have a very vague notion who it might be, but I'm probably wrong.

In fact if you're interested I might just take a photo of the photo with my digital camera (though I dont have it at the moment) but when I get the chance I could always just do that.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 01:05:36 PM »

There is an interview (which I would love to reacd in English) in the Japanesse book The Beach Boys complte. Is that what this might be?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 02:11:29 PM »

Vacant Stare ----> Brian says he wishes you brought him a steak.
Empthy Gaze ---> Brian asks if you know Danny Hutton, and if you have any coke.
etc.

This made me laugh for a solid 2 minutes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx