gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680885 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 06:19:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Wild Honey
5 - 67 (39.9%)
4 - 71 (42.3%)
3 - 25 (14.9%)
2 - 3 (1.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (1.2%)
Total Voters: 154

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Honey  (Read 108314 times)
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2008, 02:47:40 AM »

I also think Denny on Good Vibrations live blows the drums off the record into deep space..... Though, in fairness to Hal, I'm sure Brian told him to play it the way he did. I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Brian dislikes cymbals/loud drums anyway.

Watch Denny on Wouldn't It be Nice on that live TV thingy in England (youtube-it) Man! if he'd been on the record!!! I love the way Ricky Fattar played it too.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »

Difficult. The only valid approach is mathematical.

1. Music: 3 (there are a few duds, like: How She Boogalooed It)
2. Sleeve Art: 5 (best of all BBs, in fact, up there with All Summer Long)
3. Production: 0
4. Playing Time: 2

Average: 2.5, so I gave it 3 with some benevolence.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »

A few pages back there was mention of a long version of I WAS MADE TO LOVE HER.  Does anyone know anything about that?  I have a boot of a pieced together stereo recreation of IWMTLH with an occapella bridge near the end and some sort of effects added in the fade. 

The Wild Honey album is awesome, BTW.  And I'm one of the needs-to-be-in-stereo lobbyists!  Hey, gang, how about a mono/stereo twofer with bonus tracks?  Mr. Linett?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2008, 11:52:23 AM »

A few pages back there was mention of a long version of I WAS MADE TO LOVE HER.  Does anyone know anything about that?  I have a boot of a pieced together stereo recreation of IWMTLH with an occapella bridge near the end and some sort of effects added in the fade. 

The Wild Honey album is awesome, BTW.  And I'm one of the needs-to-be-in-stereo lobbyists!  Hey, gang, how about a mono/stereo twofer with bonus tracks?  Mr. Linett?

You probably have the extended version you're looking for, reading your description of the version you have. The (badly pieced together) version with a capella bridge + backgroundvoc's fade was released on the 1983 Rarities album. Listening to it I suspect that that a capella bridge is not on the right place anyway (my guess is just before "My little baby wants me, my baby needs me...)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »

Yeah, it sounds like the bridge was merely tacked on to the end, as there are no lead vocals after it.  Just a drum riff and then a fade.  It certainly doesn't follow the original Stevie version.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2008, 06:37:03 AM »

How true. WH needs to 'breath' in true stereo, and the mono version is quite suffocating. Again, it is beyond me why it wasn't done in stereo. There were many capable guys and girls around then to do that, and the only reason I can come up with is that people wanted to please Brian, who wasn't in such good spirits at the time.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2008, 06:10:12 PM »

So how is the 2001 remaster?  I've got the '90 edition and I find that the only way I can listen to it is with my treble control cranked up and the bass backed off quite a bit.  Any differences in the bonus tracks (like FRIENDS/2020)?
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »

2000 ain't that bad. Certainly I don't have to adjust my settings too much.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2009, 06:15:12 AM »

I just thought about the "Wild honey"-album and it's sound. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's probably my favorite BBs-album. But I think the problem about the sound is, that it sounds like a "small" album, which it is and which was ok for Smiley Smile. But take a look at the Beatles' simpler albums and they all still sound big. WH could sound like a big album too, if they had used more echo, maybe double the voices, etc. It's not just a mono/stereo-thing, as "Friends" also sounds quite small. I think WH would've profited from a bigger sound like "The girl from New York city", which also is a simple recording.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2009, 09:05:01 PM »

Dennis, for my money, is/was the only Beach Boy without the ability to write any utter crap.

PURE UNDISPUTABLE TRUTH. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves or they're buried in BW's pubic hair.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:06:00 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:05 PM »

Dennis, for my money, is/was the only Beach Boy without the ability to write any utter crap.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Dennis didn't release THAT many songs in his lifetime and when he did, most of the time it was only a few songs per album. To say that he wasn't capable of writing crap is a bit stupid in my opinion. Who knows, he might have written loads of crap that we've never heard and perhaps crap that was never even recorded. I suppose what a person defines as crap differs from person to person as well.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »

I'm not sorry at all. Dennis wrote as high a percentage of sh*t as the others, and if we're going to make stupid-ass judgment statements, we may as well make more accurate ones: anyone who thinks otherwise has fallen for the good looks and charm and might just be buried in Dennis' (crab-infested, no doubt) pubic hair.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2009, 04:31:40 AM »

I guess erik5000 was just having a little irony going on here.
As for Dennis' crap, what about "What's wrong"? That's quite an awful song.

Anyway, back to topic. It's Wild Honey on here....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2009, 07:27:15 AM »

Starting to think this is the sort of album to make the whole rating system a bit pointless.

When this album is good it is great. World-beating. I'm surprised at the Don's paltry score.

Seven brilliant tracks on one album. Damn, it would be good enough for 99.99% of bands.

How She Boogalooed It - Carl lets out an air biscuit. It's a couple of minutes of egg-flavor. So what?

It's the band's album and it has stacks of personality, cheek and vibes. I find my way back to it, a lot.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2009, 11:34:30 AM »

Wild Honey is a standout. There is no other Beach Boys album like it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2009, 06:53:34 PM »

There is no other Beach Boys album like it.

The Beach Boys are a unique band in that you can say that about quite a few of their albums: Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, Holland, 15BO, Love You and LA all, to me, are very unique in the BBs catalogue. Others are near-unique, where an album and a half or pair of albums fit together (how I think of Sunflower/Surfs Up).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2009, 09:10:11 AM »

I think that was their only R & B and soul album
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2009, 11:04:34 PM »

Wild Honey is a standout. There is no other Beach Boys album like it.

It's better than anything Radiohead has ever put out!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2009, 07:12:54 AM »

That's kind of a weird statement. Why mention Radiohead in relation to Wild Honey? Why not any other band?

(By the way, I am not a huge Radiohead fan, but I disagree with your statement. In fact, I think Kid A, OK Computer and The Bends are all quite a bit better than WH.)

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2009, 11:31:34 AM »

It is kind of weird...I don't think one is better than the other but totally, totally different.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2009, 06:25:25 PM »

Yeah, and Wild Honey is certainly no Tales From Topographic Oceans!!!  Razz

I think DoYouDigWorms was just trying to say that Wild Honey holds up compared to whoever is considered a hip/trend setting band of this era!

And I think it's a good point!!!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:27:24 PM by Erik H » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2009, 04:31:35 PM »

I agree that it holds up as a quality album (though as I said, I disagree on the specifics), just was surprised by the left-field comparison, I guess.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2009, 07:25:54 PM »

It was a random comparison, I'll admit to that...but for some reason I've been wanting to start a Beach Boys vs. Radiohead grudge match for a while. The greatest band of the 60s and (part of) the 70s vs. the band that critics claim is the greatest of the 90s and 00s. I personally like WH more than I do OK Computer or Kid A...but I think PS, SMiLE, or SS would be more comparable to OK Comp or Kid A, though.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »

I've been wanting to start a Beach Boys vs. Radiohead grudge match for a while.

Well, the Beach Boys would win in a fight, at least. Well, in their primes they would have. (Two dead guys and a bunch of sexagenarians probably couldn't win. Well, check that: Yorke, Greenwood et al don't seem all that tough, even against old men.)

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2009, 01:34:33 AM »

haha...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx