gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680890 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 09:07:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's Publicist Apologizes to The Eagles  (Read 20595 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »

Includes a special lunch date with Randell Kirsch.

In all fairness, Randell Kirsch is a gent.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »

You don't mess up this bad and anger people by accident if you've been in the public eye for 50 years. Unless...you either can't avoid it by nature, or it was deliberate. Or something else.

I've been giving this whole debacle a lot of thought. As you and I well know, Beach Boys' history should've warned us that "I don't know why but I keep thinking something's bound to go wrong...."

However, something else was warning me, too. The Beach Boys' interviews. On this board, we're quick to make excuses for many of the less than exciting interviews that the guys have been giving. They're bored, they're tired, they're busy, they've already said it all numerous times, and on and on.

But, you know, I've come to the conclusion that the guys really don't know what to say or have very little to say. Out of an entire interview you might get a sentence, a phrase, hell, maybe even a single word that impresses. They are good examples that talent, in this case musical talent, doesn't equate to (shall I be kind) common sense.

That's what I was talking about when I recently said that the Q interview made obvious how uncharismatic the guys are. If you're not a fan you fall asleep.
But what exactly has that to do with this Mike-Eagles case?

How Mike didn't THINK THINK THINK before speaking! On this reunion tour, even Mike's interview answers have appeared "canned", almost like he and Brian share the same interview coach. When he finally says "something", he offends. You'd think he would've mastered that art by now...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

Mike is minor league in the a$$holes stakes compared to Don Henley.

"A great good songwriter" - Brian Wilson  Grin Grin

You don't mess up this bad and anger people by accident if you've been in the public eye for 50 years. Unless...you either can't avoid it by nature, or it was deliberate. Or something else.

I've been giving this whole debacle a lot of thought. As you and I well know, Beach Boys' history should've warned us that "I don't know why but I keep thinking something's bound to go wrong...."

However, something else was warning me, too. The Beach Boys' interviews. On this board, we're quick to make excuses for many of the less than exciting interviews that the guys have been giving. They're bored, they're tired, they're busy, they've already said it all numerous times, and on and on.

But, you know, I've come to the conclusion that the guys really don't know what to say or have very little to say. Out of an entire interview you might get a sentence, a phrase, hell, maybe even a single word that impresses. They are good examples that talent, in this case musical talent, doesn't equate to (shall I be kind) common sense.

That's what I was talking about when I recently said that the Q interview made obvious how uncharismatic the guys are. If you're not a fan you fall asleep.
But what exactly has that to do with this Mike-Eagles case?

How Mike didn't THINK THINK THINK before speaking! On this reunion tour, even Mike's interview answers have appeared "canned", almost like he and Brian share the same interview coach. When he finally says "something", he offends. You'd think he would've mastered that art by now...

Well, if you look at it, that's the way it's always been with Mike's interviews. He repeats them word-for-word. IIRC he used in EH the very same sentence about TM that he used in the mid-70s BBC Beach Boys story. And many things that Mike said during the reunion interviews were heard before, too. And then all of a sudden Brian takes over the things Mike said about "the whole is greater" and "it sounds like '65".
Brian stole that from Mike. He should sue... Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »

"The Beach Boys have continued to do, about, we did about 80 performances this year. I'd like to see the Eagles match that! I'd like to see Don Henley get out on this stage and do I Get Around versus Peaceful Easy Feelin', any day now. And I'd like to see some people kick out the jams, and I challenge the Boss to get up on stage and jam."

Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »

Includes a special lunch date with Randell Kirsch.

In all fairness, Randell Kirsch is a gent.

Yes, indeed.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »

It would be a good opportunity to apologize for mocking their appearance on a Very Special Episode of Diff'rent Strokes about bootlegging and illicit taping.

Shame on you. It was "What's Happening". Rerun was the culprit.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 01:49:24 PM »

Shame on you. It was "What's Happening". Rerun was the culprit.

Ah, you're right! My Very Special Episode gland must be f***ED! Maybe I was just permanently damaged by the Bicycle Man episode and think EVERYTHING should be seen through a prism of Diff'rent Strokes, Willis...

I shall refrain from editing my post to serve as a shameful example to us all...and sentence myself to watching Mr. Belvedere until further notice.

Back to Mr. Love, wow the social media stuff continues exploding with these stories... a lot of Mikemockin. Altho to be fair, with my kind of friends list there's a fair share of "we've known this for months" type corrections. I wonder what PR madness the next few weeks will bring...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:53:50 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »

The thing you have to understand about Mike Love is that he doesn't understand...oh wait, who said something like that at one time about someone else?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »

How many people here are willing to sign a support letter to Michael E. Love? Just askin'.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 02:32:14 PM »

Mike Love is a good vocalist and, occasionally, a great lyricist and songwriter, or at least he used to be. He's also not a very pleasant man. No really, stop clutching at straws, he isn't. He's not a nice person.

And that about sums it all up. Thanks.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 02:34:53 PM »

Maybe we should start cataloguing all the terrible things each of the band members have done, starting with Brian and Dennis. And being a more outwardly pleasant person shouldn't enter into it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »

Maybe we should start cataloguing all the terrible things each of the band members have done, starting with Brian and Dennis. And being a more outwardly pleasant person shouldn't enter into it.

Your kinda being a tad obtuse. You know, there's a reason there's no chapter in Jon Stebbins Beach Boys FAQ called 'The Fun Of Hating Dennis Wilson/Brian Wilson'.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »

CatalogUing? Really?? In spite of all the incredibly horrendous, hateful things that you say Brian and Dennis have done (you must not be very much of a fan), it would be similar to placing a lima bean next to a pyramid.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »

Mike Love Moral Equivalency!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »

Why not? Relativism as an explanation for all manner of actions and reactions ignores all common logic anyway, why not apply it here!

Of course there are few rock stars more pompous than Don Henley at his worst. If I had a Cadillac I'd put a Deadhead sticker on it just to protest.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »

CatalogUing? Really?? In spite of all the incredibly horrendous, hateful things that you say Brian and Dennis have done (you must not be very much of a fan), it would be similar to placing a lima bean next to a pyramid.

God, you are such a Wilson-blowing f***head.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »

+1

How about Brian offering his daughter heroin? How about some of the alleged dalliances involving Dennis Wilson & a minor in the 70s (search the board archives)?  To act like they walked on water in comparison to Mike and Bruce is laughable at best. They all did some f***ed up things; they're *human* like all of us.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »

Yeah, well, it's always the lazy bastards who only care to be offended by whoever is stupid enough to say dumb things out loud, whereas those who simply DO awful things without yapping about them get a free pass.....
oldsurferdude
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »

Is it all gettin' to you? Hope so. Usually name calling is the first symptom then thoughts of suicide persist. LOL
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »

+1

How about Brian offering his daughter heroin? How about some of the alleged dalliances involving Dennis Wilson & a minor in the 70s (search the board archives)?  To act like they walked on water in comparison to Mike and Bruce is laughable at best. They all did some f***ed up things; they're *human* like all of us.

The thing is, I love ALL The Beach Boys. But it takes an excessive amount of unwarranted hatred to think that Mike Love is responsible for every terrible thing involved with The Beach Boys.
But, if that is the accepted thing, to make those leaps, here's one: if Dennis Wilson hadn't loved to pick up and screw teenage hitch-hikers, would Charles Manson have met Terry Melcher and found out where he lived? Dennis isn't responsible ultimately, of course, but one thing directly leads to the other, right?

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »

Oh c'mon, OSD: NAME CALLING?Huh

Didn't you practically invent it?Huh
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »

Is it all gettin' to you? Hope so. Usually name calling is the first symptom then thoughts of suicide persist. LOL

Nah, you're the old one. It's just a matter of time before you leave the world in comparative peace, Old Brian Sucker.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »

+1

How about Brian offering his daughter heroin? How about some of the alleged dalliances involving Dennis Wilson & a minor in the 70s (search the board archives)?  To act like they walked on water in comparison to Mike and Bruce is laughable at best. They all did some f***ed up things; they're *human* like all of us.

I love how the goodwill toward Mike has dissipated in the course of a few days.
But anyway, the differences between Brian/Dennis doing bad things and Mike doing bad things is that Mike's often come off as malicious. Brian was totally out of it when he offered his daughter drugs. Dennis picked up the Manson girls, but it's not like he knew what Manson was capable of.
Look, they all did bad things. But acknowledging that "other band members did horrible things too" doesn't mean Mike isn't a jerk.
Oh...and when I say "I love how" I'm being facetious. I don't WANT bad will. I just think it's funny how this board works.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:19:51 PM by Amy B. » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »

Nah, you're the old one. It's just a matter of time before you leave the world in comparative peace, Old Brian Sucker.
Be back in a bit, but really, you gotta come up with something alot better than you have so far. For starters think of some better names to call me, ok?? That shouldn't be much of a task for someone like you. LOL LOL LOL
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »

Defending Brian and/or Dennis takes some effort and understanding, but it can be done. Defending Mike is a never-ending chore...just when he's becoming rehabilitated he goes and insults the Eagles! The very symbol of American freedom and nobility. Next thing you know he'll insult America or...or the Church...or Air Supply...or Love.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx