gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681062 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 07:50:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian has signed off on Smile Sessions......  (Read 64576 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »

Maybe that's the problem here - lots of us won't accept the "Smile Album" as the genuine article cos we think we know best and will programme our own version despite what happens later this year.

Which for me is one of the greatest appeals of this release. I am quite looking forward to hearing others new mixes and mix my own.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »

Maybe that's the problem here - lots of us won't accept the "Smile Album" as the genuine article cos we think we know best and will programme our own version despite what happens later this year.

Which for me is one of the greatest appeals of this release. I am quite looking forward to hearing others new mixes and mix my own.

All the albums i love the most, I burn my own copies, I add Strawberry Fields to the Sgt Pepper album and Penny lane
and I do that sort of thing with dozens or hundreds of my favorite albums. But in order to sell SMiLE to the public, Don't
you think there should be a disc one approximating a finished sounding album ?  I don't think you can say to the average record
or cd buyer. ok its all here. sift through the four hour long discs and assemble your own.

People go buy dinner in a restaurant, they don't usually come out and dump a bunch of ingredients on the table and say
ok it's all here assemble it any way you want.  (unless you go to Benihana)

People like a finished album as part of the presentation usually I think.

I'd like to hear their representation of a finished or nearly finished SMiLE
before I burn 89 variations of my own copies.

I suppose strictly for the collector and SMile aficianado's it's considered a waste of space. To use a disc
with a presentation like that of a faux finished album
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »

I look at it this way, we can screw around with the tracks, sequence them any way we want. So, why not let Brian, Alan and Mark do their thing, as well. I'm really excited to hear what they come up with, along with nice cleaned up mono mixes on Disc 1.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »

The issue is still the fact that there was never a finished album in any form after these sessions were in the can, and any attempts to do so will be challenged to no end just as some here on this board may think lesser of the BWPS sequencing because David Leaf or Darian whoever else had more to say about the sequencing than perhaps Brian did in 1967...or something like that.

If there were any notion that there was a blueprint drawn up in 1967 for how the tracks would be sequenced, that is part of the history. Since there is no such thing in existence, it becomes the choice of whoever is compiling it in 2011 just like David Leaf and Darian helped with on BWPS.

I wrote the line about programming it ourselves because that's all we can do short of having proof the songs were to be sequenced a certain way in '67, and had that existed Brian would have done that for BWPS.

Not to say a single disc compilation sequenced for musicality and flow wouldn't be a nice thing to hear, but it's really just a fan mix using much better quality tapes.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »

I'll just have fun listening. I can't imagine being so pent up on histories and "authenticity" that it would destroy any enjoyment of hearing what is being put together for us. Really we are all getting the best of both worlds with the delux release.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2011, 03:44:19 PM »

I'll just have fun listening. I can't imagine being so pent up on histories and "authenticity" that it would destroy any enjoyment of hearing what is being put together for us. Really we are all getting the best of both worlds with the delux release.

It's not that way for me either, I'm just saying personally I never got hung up on tracklistings and whose fan mixes were more authentic - I feel that stuff took away from enjoying the music because the tracklists had nothing to refer to for authenticity in the first place: it was all speculation.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »

If Brian has any input in sequencing, which I believe is highly likely, then that kills the fan mix deal. This whole release is a 2011 creation, so sequencing it in 2011 goes hand in hand with it. Sequencing is as much an art as the compositions. We know from concept albums that presentation of the music is very important in the success and acceptance of the material.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2011, 05:54:09 PM »

"...what matters, however, are not so much the individual bits, but the successive patterns into which you arrange them, then break them up and rearrange them."
-Arthur Koestler

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2011, 06:07:58 PM »

If Brian has any input in sequencing, which I believe is highly likely, then that kills the fan mix deal. This whole release is a 2011 creation, so sequencing it in 2011 goes hand in hand with it. Sequencing is as much an art as the compositions. We know from concept albums that presentation of the music is very important in the success and acceptance of the material.

I don't think anything can kill the fan mixes -- and honestly, I wouldn't want them to go away. SMiLE has become an organic, living thing over the past 40+ years, and the energy and love that go into the fan mixes are most of what's kept it alive all this time. BWPS was kind of like the ultimate "fantasy" SMiLE, because Brian re-recorded everything and could add all the little bits to make everything flow together. This will be more like the ultimate "fan mix" -- only this time the fans are Mark Linett and Alan Boyd, and they have Brian advising them AND all the master tapes. I can't wait to hear what they come up with ... but there's also a good chance that I will be revisiting my own SMiLE mix, armed with new fragments and improved sound quality.

Honestly, the only thing missing from the deluxe box of The Smile Sessions is a little fan interactivity. If they had included a DVD with MORE of the fragments and alternate takes, and then held a "Make Your Own SMiLE" contest, with the winner getting something cool (like 1,000 professionally pressed copies of their winning CD) -- that would have just been the greatest thing EVER. No matter -- most of us will be doing it anyway!

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »

Fans can always mix the to be released stuff anyway they want to.

What I'm hoping is that the released tracks combine elements that weren't put together previously. Alan Boyd's "Heroes & Villains" combo on the Hawthorne, CA set was real cool & hopefully there will be more of the same for fans on the SMiLE Sessions.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »

Hi Sean, I think you misunderstood my meaning. I don't think this release will do away with fan mixes. What I meant was that Mark & Alan's sequencing is not a fan mix if Brian is involved. Just an original 2011 sequence with Brian's participation.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »

"We can program it ourselves any way we wish."

I think the point is this: the only person  many of us might agree would "know best" isn't around anymore. Brian of today is simply not Brian of 1967, nor does he have any interest in being him, nor should he. Furthermore, even when he was in a position to "know best", he didn't ever fully know for a very simple reason - the album was unfinished. He didn't even know how to assemble Heroes and Villains let alone the album as a whole. Even an album as cohesive as, say, Sgt. Pepper changed its track order at the last minute just before release. We can't really think that Brian was ever at a point where he knew how the album was entirely going to work, and certainly no evidence so far has suggested that he did. Fans don't assemble Smile because "we think we know best" - we do it because it's the best we can do.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »

I'm past the point of caring what's on this set. Just release it and be done with it.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »

Then we can care about what it's actually about......maybe.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »

I'm past the point of caring what's on this set. Just release it and be done with it.

Been hearing this a lot lately on a few boards

People are getting frustrated  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

I think that is something we can all agree with!  LOL
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »

Hi Sean, I think you misunderstood my meaning. I don't think this release will do away with fan mixes. What I meant was that Mark & Alan's sequencing is not a fan mix if Brian is involved. Just an original 2011 sequence with Brian's participation.

Oh, OK -- I get your point now ... although I do think that even with Brian's input it's still a "fan mix" if only because a "finished" 1967 SMiLE is an impossibility. That's not a knock on it, though -- it will be the most spectacular, most authoritative "insider" fan mix possible, especially if they diverge from BWPS and throw some surprises our way.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »

Don't give a crap about the sequence - back in the day I didn't always listen "in sequence" anyway.   Just get it out - in good quality with some "new" things.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »

i always listen to the sequence of an album.  I find it pretty important.  For smile particularly.  I've never made a fan mix and never will.  I like listening to others, but just like BWPS, i'll regard the sequence of this in much higher regard than any fan mix...though they are interesting.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »

"...what matters, however, are not so much the individual bits, but the successive patterns into which you arrange them, then break them up and rearrange them."
-Arthur Koestler

In music, you learn to improvise and adapt by doing this. I believe this is key in why learning music can improve one's cognitive skills.

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »

I don't understand the obsession with what the sequence in 1967 was gonna be. It's pretty obvious Brian didn't know.....if he did, then I'd say it is a big deal and I'd hope we could find out, but the facts are the album with still a pretty far way away from completion, with so much in flux, so its doubtful he had a tracklist.

So lets look at it this way, the he picked a running order for his 2004 album, Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE, and he will also have the final word on The Beach Boys album, The SMiLE Sessions. So as he is creator, whatever comes out this year is the final destination for the SMiLE sessions, with Brian's consent. We never had a 1967 final tracklist, so whatever....its much more interesting to me to see if Mark and Alan found stuff like "Barnyard" and "I'm In Great Shape" with lead vocals, or an early complete mix of "Heroes And Villains". Those are things we will have a tangible answer to, not "what was in Brian's brain on February 1967, or something like that.
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »

its much more interesting to me to see if Mark and Alan found stuff like "Barnyard" and "I'm In Great Shape" with lead vocals, or an early complete mix of "Heroes And Villains"
Right on  Cool

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2011, 11:59:44 PM »

Brian will undoubtedly approve - or not - the sequence that Mark & Alan arrive at. However, I doubt he'll be supplying much active input on a weekly/monthly basis.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2011, 01:31:08 AM »

And I never understood the obsession with Smile tracklists and sequences which led to the dozens of fan mixes through the years..

I agree--imo far too much attention has been foisted on the sequence. I guess much of this stems from the spurious claim that a 1966/7 LP would contain continuous "movements", etc. With that off the table the importance of the sequence is greatly diminished. I don't think the sequence is that much more significant than, let's say, Pet Sounds or Wild Honey. If Brian scrapped Pet Sounds in Feb. 1966 would we be obsessing for decades over where Here Today or I'm Waiting For The Day fall in the running order?
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2011, 01:45:48 AM »

And I never understood the obsession with Smile tracklists and sequences which led to the dozens of fan mixes through the years.

It's part of the allure to Smile. The ability to fashion any track order you wanted from the bits and pieces available. It's the ultimate do-it-yourself album. And it's going to stay that way, even after the boxset is released. In fact, I think it's a safe bet to say it'll only add fuel to the fire.

People need to realize that BWPS and what Mark & Alan are going to hack up isn't trying to be the definitive, authentic release of what was to come out in January 1967. They aren't trying to be a be all and end all of Smile, and nothing ever will be, not unless someone goes back in time and convinces Brian to finish it. (Actually, I think that subject was vaguely touched on in a fiction book I read a while ago. Gave me quite the pleasant shock.) All they are, is an attempt to carve out some sort of finished product out of what we have now. And that's all they'll ever be.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx