gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 06:42:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: About Making Music.  (Read 42303 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »

And here it is: Too Many Notes. (Just rough--VERY rough!--acoustic guitar and a couple voices. Three, actually.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1bao1v

I really like it! It's got a nice folk-feel to it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »

Ok, so I suck at mixing.

I'll mix a song to perfection on my studio headphones, then I'll listen to it on iPod headphones and the song will sound like utter rubbish.

Does anyone have any suggestions (whether referring me to youtube how-tos, or just a few pointers)? I'm using Logic Pro 9 and I'm trying to master/mix a song and it's not going well.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2012, 04:51:55 AM »

Wish I could help, but I am afflicted with a similar problem.... Taking a step back is always valuable, and I tend to find I go overboard in the recording process anyway, so I always end up taking stuff out.

In other news, I am finally back with all my instruments so have started recording again! Just did the tiny introductory bit to my album yesterday, now on to the next big song.... after a couple of cigarettes and a cup of coffee  Wink

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »

Ditto. Anyone who has ever listened to my mixes knows that my combination of uninformed/unskilled and lazy just isn't a good one. I guess for me the best results tend to come from reiterations, not only new mixes but sometimes even re-recordings. I just have to live with things a while.

btw, I am hoping to really get into gear and do some of the recent demos and/or other unfinished things. A friend is going to handle drums and I'll go from there. No target dates yet, but probably half a dozen "finished" tunes by mid July. I have to whittle down the list, though. I think the only sure things are Cognitive Dissonance, Keep it Simple, and All That I Want. Then there are probably 8-10 more (one or two of which aren't even demo'd) serious candidates for the final few spots.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »

Does anyone here use synth drums? How do you find it works? I don't think I'm skilled enough to make them sound anything like real drums.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »

Does anyone here use synth drums? How do you find it works? I don't think I'm skilled enough to make them sound anything like real drums.

What program are you using?

I use Logic Pro 9, the drum machine plug-in is fairly good. If you tweak the EQ and reverb you can get fairly real sounding drums (and it really takes no skill at all).

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »

What program are you using?

I use Logic Pro 9, the drum machine plug-in is fairly good. If you tweak the EQ and reverb you can get fairly real sounding drums (and it really takes no skill at all).

I'm using Acid Pro 6 - not sure how good it is but it works well for what I do. I will work on the EQ and reverb. Thanks so much for the tips!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »

In terms of VST instruments, I use Native Instrument's Battery.... But I torrented it. If you have no problems with that sort of thing, the sounds are great/infinitely tweakable.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2012, 07:37:28 AM »

Bah, think I need to go to the doctor and sort my right ear - either that or I'm going deaf in it. All my mixes seem to be veering over to the left. As does all the music I seem to  be listening to today. Humbug.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »

In other news, I woke up from a nap today to find  my house deserted, so I celebrated by recording a cover of Heart Like A Wheel and covering in atonal  noise and effects. Because I know how to rock my Saturday nights, motherfuckas

SBonilla
« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »

Bah, think I need to go to the doctor and sort my right ear - either that or I'm going deaf in it. All my mixes seem to be veering over to the left. As does all the music I seem to  be listening to today. Humbug.
Debrox first, then the doctor.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »

Ok, so I suck at mixing.

I'll mix a song to perfection on my studio headphones, then I'll listen to it on iPod headphones and the song will sound like utter rubbish.

Yeah, mixing can be like opening a can of worms. The group I'm in consist of four guys and all of us have our views of the do's and dont's when it comes to mixing - which means that whenever we record a song the f..... mixing proces tends to take way longer than recording the song & the vocals, because everyone of us always insist of changing little things. It can go on and on before we all can agree on a mix. We're currently in that very process with our most recent track as I write this. Grin

So, if nothing else, appreciate the fact that you only have to take your own mixing taste into consideration.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »

So I am borrowing a flatmates bass for all of these songs.....

I now have huge blisters on my fingers. I will never, ever, ever belittle any bass player ever again.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »

Ok, so I suck at mixing.

Does anyone have any suggestions (whether referring me to youtube how-tos, or just a few pointers)? I'm using Logic Pro 9 and I'm trying to master/mix a song and it's not going well.

I do the same thing, it's mostly about the bass and volume, which are all preference of the people who buy the headphones

SBonilla
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »

Ok, so I suck at mixing.

Yeah, mixing can be like opening a can of worms. The group I'm in consist of four guys and all of us have our views of the do's and dont's when it comes to mixing - which means that whenever we record a song the f..... mixing proces tends to take way longer than recording the song & the vocals, because everyone of us always insist of changing little things. It can go on and on before we all can agree on a mix. We're currently in that very process with our most recent track as I write this. Grin

So, if nothing else, appreciate the fact that you only have to take your own mixing taste into consideration.
Mixing should not be a democratic process. Have a production meeting, take notes, suggestions, etc. and designate someone in the group as Mix Down Producer and mix away. Or find a mixing engineer/producer and have that person mix it along with someone from the band.  Don’t allow anyone else in the room while mixing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »

After a solid afternoons recording, I think I am the ghost of Phil Spector's talent. Should probably leave the house....  LOL

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »

Mixing should not be a democratic process. Have a production meeting, take notes, suggestions, etc. and designate someone in the group as Mix Down Producer and mix away. Or find a mixing engineer/producer and have that person mix it along with someone from the band.  Don’t allow anyone else in the room while mixing.

I agree.

And perhaps the point I wanted to make in my post was a little unclear - it's not as if we sit four guys around a computer mixing together. One of the other guys in the group always comes up with a proposed master mix based on our original ideas for the song's overall sound and feel. When his idea of a finished mix is done he passes it on to the rest of us for a bit of feedback.  We might then come up with a couple of suggestions, usually adjusting the volume on various parts or vocals. And it's this part of the process that can take some time with ideas for little tweakings flying back and forth. I'd say that it's worth it though with a better end result where we all feel we've had a say.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »

I'm stuck on a song, which is the worst feeling for me. Obviously the best is when it comes easily, but I don't mind having nothing at all, either. But right now I'm working through that half-done moment where I have a chord progression I really like, a 3-section tune that goes from a haunted to a sweeping, momentum-building vibe, really dancing around keys and built on highly extended chords. I really like it.

But I can't finish it. What I have now, I've had for about two months. I've got melodies I'm maybe 75% happy with and lyrics for about a quarter of it...and I don't like them much anyway. I usually feel like it's easy to find the song in the music, but this is one of those where the music doesn't want to become a song. Ugh.

Such is life.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2013, 05:54:01 PM »

I just finished the score for my latest show. I think it's the 9th one I've done in about two years, 11 if you count more abstract things. I'm really proud of some of it - lots of new techniques, innovations, better sounds, more complex arranging than I've ever done, all of that. But I think I might have just made my difficult second album.... The inspiration was not there. Sigh.

I want to have time to focus on my own stuff as well. I need a cohort to start a band, but my musical taste is a bit of an outlier with people I know and most of them aren't musicians. And I'm absolutely shite on a stage by myself. Again, sigh.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »

I might just abandon that song for now. Today I was thinking: I should write a song for each school-year of my life. I was telling a story about 5th grade today, and realized I already have one for 3rd and one for 6th. May as well keep going!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »

Some days, you just can't mix.

Finally added instrumentation to a song I did a year ago, which was just guitar/voices. Can't get it to work, not because the new parts are shite, but just because i can't get them to sit right with the original vocals. This is going to be one of those things where I prefer the original demo, regardless of what I actually want to do with the song, isn't it?  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »

In the shower before work, I thought of two measures to add to a song I've been working on. Two measures. Just something to go from verse to some other section. Sadly, I've been so stuck, I was excited about it. A little chromatic riff into a relative minor. Big whoop.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2013, 08:43:33 PM »

In the shower before work, I thought of two measures to add to a song I've been working on. Two measures. Just something to go from verse to some other section. Sadly, I've been so stuck, I was excited about it. A little chromatic riff into a relative minor. Big whoop.

That's a bigger deal than you make it out to be. I can't even play a note or chord of music, but I've "written" several songs just by hearing melodies in my head. Sometimes, one little idea turns into a whole song. Or, a little idea, as in your case, adds a little certain something to a song.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2013, 05:24:11 AM »

Yeah, I do that all the time. Mostly when I'm out and about, which is frustrating as I can barely remember it by the time i get home.

Reckon I've got a mix of the tune I mentioned yesterday. Although I'm considering doing a Murry and speeding it up a wee bit so it sounds a bit brighter/faster, I seem to prefer it that way. Let's see.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »

Don't mistake me, that is a normal way for me to "write" music--many, many of my songs were conceived and largely worked out while I've been on walks, for example. My frustration is the slowness in ideas lately, so that this tiny idea felt so good.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx