gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680906 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 08:21:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike interview Part 2 of 2  (Read 6581 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »

Sounds to me like it's some type of collaboration with the group Phoenix and Mike (or "The Beach Boys"?!?). Unusual if so.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 03:16:17 PM »

"Sometimes I pantomime a little bit."

You don't say. 

LOL

Yeah, that one had me in tears laughing, and I didn't even acknowledge Mike's comedic talents here...suddenly he is a master of the understatement - well, in this instance, anyway.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »

So  Mike's seen the new Bill Murray movie, but hasn't seen Love and Mercy yet (sic) ........all so very SAD
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 04:43:14 PM »

https://youtu.be/rf_dgbBK25o

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »

Nice complements of Carl and especially Al. Wish he would have said more Bruce's abilities. Mike has a good memory, he impresses me with his knowledge of their material and the albums. That being said, he still has that habit/inferiority thing of bringing it back to him.  Dennis and the environment turned into DGNTW and Surf Rider,  KTSA and Carl's collaborations immediately turned into Goin To The Beach. He doesn't have to try so hard, he's got the part already for the last 50 years.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »

No one has yet commented on how Mike totally blew the question Jim "Becoming the Beach Boys" asked through the interviewer.  Jim wants to know if Al was at the demo session, Mike responds that Al was at the recording session of the actual single.  Two different sessions at two different locations.  There's no indication Al was at the demo and in fact it appeared the Pendletones were only the brothers and Mike, Al was added later.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 08:02:27 PM »

I read another recent short interview with Mike concerning one of his shows, and please pardon me for not recalling which one, since you know Mike does these sort of puffs pieces whenever the band rolls into town for local media. However, in this particular case, Mike said he did not foresee a reunion with Brian. He said Brian has his own band in his own way of doing things and he did not see a reunion like the one they had in 2012 as imminent.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2015, 05:26:59 AM »

That is more BS from Mike as usual. All Mike wants is total control and be the center of attention without BW having a say. Such an ungrateful prick to BW and AJ.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2015, 05:35:07 AM »

I read another recent short interview with Mike concerning one of his shows, and please pardon me for not recalling which one, since you know Mike does these sort of puffs pieces whenever the band rolls into town for local media. However, in this particular case, Mike said he did not foresee a reunion with Brian. He said Brian has his own band in his own way of doing things and he did not see a reunion like the one they had in 2012 as imminent.

There's really no reason to do another Beach Boys reunion.  Much like with The Police, we got a one off tour.  We even got a bonus with, just my opinion, the best Beach Boys album since Holland. 

Brian still gets to tour and record with his stellar band.  If The Beach Boys had continued, NPP might not exist.  Hopefully, Al Jardine will continue to play a part with Brian. 

The Beach Boys get to tour with the really good band that they've put together. 

I do believe, at some point before they ride into the sunset, Mike and Brian will share a stage again.  But I think it'll be a special one off show, not  a major tour. 
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 09:25:12 AM »

Right KDS, a reunion special show and not a tour. I agree. Well produced, well filmed, well recorded, well promoted--something to hold onto better than the 2 current tour videos and live album. (Japan show, a third, is the best).

Lots of reasons for that.

There's really no reason to do another Beach Boys reunion.  Much like with The Police, we got a one off tour.  We even got a bonus with, just my opinion, the best Beach Boys album since Holland. 

Brian still gets to tour and record with his stellar band.  If The Beach Boys had continued, NPP might not exist.  Hopefully, Al Jardine will continue to play a part with Brian. 

The Beach Boys get to tour with the really good band that they've put together. 

I do believe, at some point before they ride into the sunset, Mike and Brian will share a stage again.  But I think it'll be a special one off show, not  a major tour. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »

Let it go professor, Mike Love burned too many bridges in ending the C50.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »

Let it go professor, Mike Love burned too many bridges in ending the C50.

I think that this is the likely reality.  [and he seems to have a couple of emergency packs of matches in his pocket in case another bridge inadvertently pops into view.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 01:22:55 PM »

Exactly.

I think the best we can hope for are decent releases of the final UK shows one day.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 05:04:07 PM »

This one?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/city-east/mike-love-of-the-beach-boys-opens-up-about-music-the-beatles-and-bondi-ahead-of-beachfest/story-fngr8h22-1227567485222

“Brian has his own band and way of doing things, but we had David Marks join us a few months ago for some show. I just don’t think another reunion like we had a couple of years ago is imminent.”
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 10:02:28 PM »

One  throwaway answer which didn't strike me as accurate.  Btian wasn't 'there' because he was taking LSD.  After Friends?  Really?  So no mention of his illness?

Mike said that Brian wasn't around much post-Friends because of the effects of Brian's acid intake during the Smile era.

Was he even doing that during SMiLE? Its my understanding he tripped three times, at least two of which were long before. Its commonly said it was a flashback in a bookstore that was part of the inspiration for SMiLE--not a new trip.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:07:03 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »

Uh-huh...Mike, the guy who created "Good Vibrations."  I think we know what the tone of his book is going to be...

And Mike's biography is scheduled to come out in a US Presidential election year...like we won't have had enough of people over-emphasizing their importance and contributions while totally demeaning those they view as their opponents.  It would be a great year to spend in Antarctica...

Really hoping that wont be the case. I dont know who else is left to give us insight into the extremely mysterious Smiley Sessions. It'll probably be dismissed as "yeah Brian was on lots of drugs and did this really weird album. It was a total disappointment coming after GV--which I wrote the lyrics for (this after spending the last two chapters to that one song)."

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2015, 03:36:50 AM »

I think that this little Stebbinizational bit I 'lifted' from Wikipedia says a pant-load..."biographer Jon Stebbins speculated that Love declined to continue working with the group due to the lesser control he had over the touring process, coupled with the lower financial gain, noting: "Night after night after night after night, Mike is making less money getting reminded that Brian is more popular than him. And he has to answer to people instead of calling all the shots himself".  THAT would have been a real pisser...especially after so many years of deluding oneself.

That he continues to spill gasoline onto the fires of his burning bridges...year after year, after year after year only shows that he isn't, nor does he WANT to be, a team player and the frequency with which he does so varifies what most here believe to be stone cold fact...he was exactly like this back in the 'glory days' as well.  Mike always knew what was best [NOT FOR THE BEACH BOYS long term...but] for Mike.  He should have been an Italian-style opera singer... ... ...

"Me me Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »

I think that this little Stebbinizational bit I 'lifted' from Wikipedia says a pant-load..."biographer Jon Stebbins speculated that Love declined to continue working with the group due to the lesser control he had over the touring process, coupled with the lower financial gain, noting: "Night after night after night after night, Mike is making less money getting reminded that Brian is more popular than him. And he has to answer to people instead of calling all the shots himself".  THAT would have been a real pisser...especially after so many years of deluding oneself.

That he continues to spill gasoline onto the fires of his burning bridges...year after year, after year after year only shows that he isn't, nor does he WANT to be, a team player and the frequency with which he does so varifies what most here believe to be stone cold fact...he was exactly like this back in the 'glory days' as well.  Mike always knew what was best [NOT FOR THE BEACH BOYS long term...but] for Mike.  He should have been an Italian-style opera singer... ... ...

"Me me Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

In his (sorta) defense, I'm sure it wasn't this bad pre-1983. I think it's just gotten worse and worse, starting with the B-side of Today and spiraling from all the perceived slights from there. With the song credits and knowledge that everyone respected Brian far more festering for years to boot. Then when Dennis died there was no one to hold him back, which is why you see Carl and Al just kinda going along with his antics since then. Al puts up a bit of resistance and gets the boot. Kokomo ignites his ego anew and yet SIP is a cold hard slap in the face back to reality.

It's just been the perfect mixing pot to create this deeply insecure yet paradoxically egotistical loudmouth we know and...tolerate.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx