gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 08:47:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: About Making Music.  (Read 42320 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »

That's why I keep a flip, camera, cellphone, or ipad with me at all times.

Actually, garageband on the ipad has been a blast for me lately - I can write melodies, record sample vocals, play piano on the go - and when I get home I can record it properly on Logic.

My music career has hit a standstill lately. I have several instrumentals waiting for lyrics and vocals. And in the hiatus I have gotten less and less creative in what I record/write. Ahh well, as I've been learning for the last four years: waves of creativity come and go - and you never know when you'll hit the next wave.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »

Ahh well, as I've been learning for the last four years: waves of creativity come and go - and you never know when you'll hit the next wave.
I think that is totally true. And as long as it doesn't matter (e.g., you don't depend on it for an income), it certainly isn't worth worrying about.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »

This link leads to am mp3 download that is a quick rough mix of the instrumental track of the song I'm working on now. I think I have the bulk of the track work done, but unusually for me don't have lyrics yet. I had a version of this song years ago but I don't like those lyrics anymore. So I need to rewrite, or at least rework. Here is the kind-of country rock "Perfect Plan." Mostly really straight-forward, but there are a couple left-turn chord choices and awkward-length phrases here and there, just to keep it interesting. http://www.sendspace.com/file/a4bqfh

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2011, 07:42:38 AM »

I think I'm going to do another of the three (four if you count the little instrumental interlude) "Artist" songs today, of which a few weeks ago I did the final ("Last Artist..."). The one I'm going to work on now is the first of the bunch. Seems like a good way to spend the rest of the morning. Hopefully I'll whip through it and have something posted no later than early afternoon. It's going to be pretty basic, depending on where I go with (background) vocals, if anywhere.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2011, 09:01:07 AM »

That's why I keep a flip, camera, cellphone, or ipad with me at all times.

Actually, garageband on the ipad has been a blast for me lately - I can write melodies, record sample vocals, play piano on the go - and when I get home I can record it properly on Logic.

My music career has hit a standstill lately. I have several instrumentals waiting for lyrics and vocals. And in the hiatus I have gotten less and less creative in what I record/write. Ahh well, as I've been learning for the last four years: waves of creativity come and go - and you never know when you'll hit the next wave.

Veering dangerously off topic but that is one brilliant signature you have there! 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »

I think I'm going to do another of the three (four if you count the little instrumental interlude) "Artist" songs today, of which a few weeks ago I did the final ("Last Artist..."). The one I'm going to work on now is the first of the bunch. Seems like a good way to spend the rest of the morning. Hopefully I'll whip through it and have something posted no later than early afternoon. It's going to be pretty basic, depending on where I go with (background) vocals, if anywhere.

Oh, so they're a series? Look forward to it.

My creativity has dropped off something fierce. Recently phoned in another few songs for a score which were pretty dreadful, just exercises in arranging more than anything. And one prologue where the directors instructions were so incoherent I ended up sampling the Beatles. But don't tell anyone - her musical knowledge is so limited she didn't know Wink

Man, I hate writing lyrics. Have had a few good chord sequences lately that I just couldn't work up the energy to write lyrics for. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have that aforementioned project all good to go bar the songs... dammit.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »

^^Thanks John K! I love that mix of Kubrick/Lennon genius!
_____

I've virtually quit music at the moment. Between lack of good material, bandmates not working out, etc, etc, etc....it's a tough road to travel, and I just got sick of it.

Actually, I am working on a 'Wonderful' type song - with chords that aren't used too much, and some made up. I can't wait to finish that. Also going to record a cover of Sloop John B I think...but other than that I've given up.

I've been concentrating on writing - I've found there's a lot of room for freedom and expression in this field as apposed to songwriting. I've always felt limited by chords and the need for a melodic vocal (and a limited room for words)....with just plain writing there is no hindrance; and through written word you can create just as much of an emotion impact as a song. Just my opinion.

I know I'll go back to writing music on a more regular basis, I'm just tired of it for now.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »

Oh, so they're a series? Look forward to it.
Yeah, a series of three (plus instrumental bit) that some friends did years ago, when I was in college. (Mid-90s) I have always loved those songs, probably more than they do, and consider them mine, which of course is neither accurate nor fair. But there are My Friend the Dead Artist, instrumental piece which I've always called Artist Interlude, My Friend the Artist, and The Last Artist in a Series of 3 that I Know. The lyrics are so funny and cryptic in turns, and the music so immediate, I just adore these songs.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2011, 04:12:56 PM »

I've virtually quit music at the moment. ...
I've been concentrating on writing - I've found there's a lot of room for freedom and expression in this field as apposed to songwriting. I've always felt limited by chords and the need for a melodic vocal (and a limited room for words)....with just plain writing there is no hindrance; and through written word you can create just as much of an emotion impact as a song. Just my opinion.

All art forms can be impactful, so I would by no means criticize someone for writing over songwriting. Actually, one of my favorite of my songs ("Falling Down") is mostly sentences and phrases taken from a short story I wrote. I had forgotten that until coming across a printout of the story last time I moved. But I think the emotional impact of words hinders those of the music just as much as the converse. It's about the writer/performer, and the listener. They both are hugely important, or both wouldn't continue to exist as art forms.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 04, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »

Very much agreed. I suppose it really depends on the artist himself - I'm just not in a creative spot at the moment. And your song 'Falling Down' is a great one! Love that chorus!

I can't wait to get inspired to record again. I really love it, but lately there's been so much BS surrounding it for me that it's too tiring. Ugh. What a shame.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 04, 2011, 04:49:41 PM »

Eh, don't worry about it. It always comes and goes--there's no use getting frustrated unless your livelihood depends on it.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »

True enough. Smiley

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2011, 02:17:58 PM »

First time in--dunno, couple months?--I've sat down to write something wholly new. The past couple "new" things I've done were really rewrites or finishing up old pieces. Just did a couple sections (not sure what is what yet), with a bunch of lines. Really simple things but I think they're nice. Hopefully I'll keep at it and get something together from it soon.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »

Last time I wrote, I was optimistic ... but I've written nothing new to add to that fragment in the past six days or so. This, though, is that fragment, which I just put down to make sure I don't forget even that bit. Just piano and voice in the same one take, not intended to get a good sound or anything. No arrangement to speak of. After the two verses and one refrain (if that's what they end up being), I don't know what I'll do. This is an mp3 of it, anyway. http://www.sendspace.com/file/qrr3wm

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »

I'm writing some new songs. Four or five are 80% or more done. I need to record them, yet.

That is all.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »

I was wondering what you were up to, Luther! Looking forward to hearing them, as always.

Have done one semi-successful score over Christmas, which was a mostly stripped down piano + glockenspiel and minimal accompaniment affair. I should upload it at some point. It's all little segues and things, though. But the chord sequences are interesting.

Have started writing songs with a friend, which now means my fairy tale project has all the songs written! Now I need to record the bastard.

Sadly, I have to magic up a score for a show which no-one will see, due to being situated in the middle of nowhere, and is apparently dreadful. Motivation is low. I have two weeks. So far, have been playing v basic chords and guessing string arrangements. I almost resent the fact no-one seems to grasp the difference between the stuff I slave over writing unique and odd chords and arrangements for and me, idk, going I-IV-V. But they are no musicians, and it's a fairly minor gripe. I should focus on writing the former all the time, I guess  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »

New songs in the works again. I'm getting together at least rough versions of things to decide what to have drums done on and fully flesh out. The recent ones are contenders, but I have tons of old stuff, and these new ones too. One of them is really Ben Foldsy in a spot ... or maybe not. It feels like it to me, but I can imagine that ending up some sort of Randy Newman Sail Away / Mt Vernon - Fairytale kind of association someday... (Not in terms of quality or fame, mind you. But in terms of what i thought I was doing or hearing or being inspired by turning out to be just useful context to do something otherwise entirely different.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2012, 10:10:23 AM »

Another brand new one begun today, with two or four verses done (depending on how I define them, I guess), plus refrain, plus the chord structure for a third section. Writing on acoustic guitar.

Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:30 PM »

I don't have a lot to contribute, but I like this thread so I'll just use it as a brief diary for now.

I'm staying at my parents until work takes me on the road again. I find it very hard to work earnestly on writing songs when I don't have my private space to meet the needs of my unusual work habits.  I'm aware of the notion that if you want to write, you just sit and write -- no excuses. Nevertheless, I seem to get distracted or lose patience frequently. Guess I'll have to work on my self-discipline.

The stuff I have worked on in my sporadic bouts of productivity seemed promising. I picked up Marty Robbins' Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs and I love it! The simplicity of the songs and storytelling, but it's very rich in emotion and full in sound even though the arrangements are also simple. Anyway, this inspired me to write a few songs in a certain theme. Not a concept album or anything. But the idea of capturing a scene and telling a story in song had never interested me before, but it kind of does now. When it turns into something, I will share it.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »

Have been at home for a few days, so instead of recording am trying to mix something 'just so' and it's getting to be a bother.

Also, asking non-musicians for musical opinions - worth the hassle? My best friend isn't really musical, but she's always taken an interest in what I do so have been sending her mixes and things. She says strange things about them...

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »

Also, asking non-musicians for musical opinions - worth the hassle?

I ask my non-musical brother for his opinion on occasion. Most of the time I have to really reach in order to make some sense out of his feedback, but usually there's something to it.

The thing is tho, everyone has different opinions, so at the end of the day I figure it comes down to whether or not you're happy with what you've done.

I also find that a lot of times I have to NOT listen to something I just worked on for a few days in order to really evaluate where I'm at with the project. You can get so involved with a song that you start losing sight of where it stands exactly. After a few days, or a few weeks, it becomes very clear to me what needs to be fixed / replaced, etc.

So, yeah man I definitely know where you're coming from. Feel free to shoot me a copy of the mix if you want any feedback / mixing ideas.

Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »

Also, asking non-musicians for musical opinions - worth the hassle?

I wanna say yes. I value the opinions of non-musicians much more a lot of the time. But I guess I don't like many of my musician friends, or I'm familiar with their work so it provides a context for the basis of their opinion. The ideal is to get the opinions from anonymous strangers -- they'll be honest, and you don't know them at all to take the opinions personally.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish, I guess. Impressing yourself, impressing musicians, or impressing "regular people." If you're writing music for general enjoyment (e.g. pop music), I'd say non-musicians are the best people to ask.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »

I was just listening to Bonnie Prince Billy--for whom I have very "hey, that's entirely acceptable and unexcitingly pleasant" feelings--and somehow came away thinking I ought to write a song. So I did, right in that vibe. I expect it will be entirely acceptable and unexcitingly pleasant. But hey, a song's a song (and it came really quickly, like 20 minutes...I'm like BW doing God Only Knows, only minus the quality). I'm going to really quickly record an acoustic-and-voice version and post it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »

And here it is: Too Many Notes. (Just rough--VERY rough!--acoustic guitar and a couple voices. Three, actually.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1bao1v

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx