gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 05:10:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love in 1969  (Read 11890 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »

Instead of all the fluffy questions, I'd like some reporter/journalist to ask Mike about that era, his clothes, etc.  The picture of him in the white robe with flowers on the Sunflower album is odd, but admittedly it's hard to put into words all the weirdness that went on in the late 1960's and early 1970's  in America. 
Yes, and then there was George Clinton. George and Mike were both making statements. Then, it was OK to dress. It's not so OK now.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »

I always liked the ballads with the Brian, Carl, Dennis, and Al leads. Myke's leads were hokey and irritating-like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Oh, come on man, you don't even like Fun Fun Fun or I Get Around? don't think of what your opinion is of those songs now. think about the first 20 or so times you heard them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 12:07:10 AM »

I always liked the ballads with the Brian, Carl, Dennis, and Al leads. Myke's leads were hokey and irritating-like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Oh, come on man, you don't even like Fun Fun Fun or I Get Around? don't think of what your opinion is of those songs now. think about the first 20 or so times you heard them.
Mike's ballad and bass vocals were quite different than his rock leads. How do you rate those in the 1963-73 period? Forget his stage manner for a second and think only of the records.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 11:03:06 AM »

Without Mike Love we wouldn't have Let the Wind Blow, which is currently my favorite Beach Boys song.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »

He says he never liked him.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »

Without Mike Love we wouldn't have Let the Wind Blow, which is currently my favorite Beach Boys song.
This is what I mean. Myke sang on that particular song. To begin with, Brian wrote the song and Myke wrote the lyrics-Now how do you   formulate the logic that the song would never have happened at all if it wasn't for ml? Brian could have written the words if he had to and someone else in the band could have sung Myke's part quite easily-and the song would have been fine-even without Myke. Roll Eyes   
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »

This is what I mean. Myke sang on that particular song. To begin with, Brian wrote the song and Myke wrote the lyrics-Now how do you   formulate the logic that the song would never have happened at all if it wasn't for ml? Brian could have written the words if he had to and someone else in the band could have sung Myke's part quite easily-and the song would have been fine-even without Myke. Roll Eyes   

I have heard that Brian just arranged the song. Mike wrote the music and lyrics.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
MBE
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »

It's about 75 percent Mike's.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »

Don't use logic and facts - they only confuse oldsurferdude if they pertain to Mike.

P.S. The same applies to "All I Wanna Do", which is one of their absolute best songs imo. Also, yeah, Mike did write the basis of "Let The Wind Blow" and other songs. I do not want to live in a world where those songs never came out imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »

Hey!! I think it's really something that you guys were right there when it was written. Were there any other fanboys there as well? "I heard", "He said", "I know"  is just so Gosh Darn overwhelming! And since it's been said here before with no repercussions from the powers that be, RDZ, uh, f*** you. Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2012, 06:55:07 PM »

Hey!! I think it's really something that you guys were right there when it was written. Were there any other fanboys there as well? "I heard", "He said", "I know"  is just so Gosh Darn overwhelming! And since it's been said here before with no repercussions from the powers that be, RDZ, uh, f*ck you. Wink
Lets have some more light-hearted Mike bashing, like the 20 rings he seems to wear. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
oldsurferdude
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2012, 07:04:16 PM »

Mike's ballad and bass vocals were quite different than his rock leads. How do you rate those in the 1963-73 period? Forget his stage manner for a second and think only of the records.
Was done with the beach stuff and the ML lead vocals after SDASN showed up. I always thought PS would have been a couple of notches higher w/o the ML leads. It was alright when I was a teenager but kinda knew his time as a lead singer had come and gone. It was Carl's turn , thank god.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »

I don't know how much these meet and greet VIP packages cost, but the patrons will be treated like cattle. In and out after a few pics or autographs. Glad I got that done from 1969 through 1992 on my terms. That's all I need at this point. I wish them well and I hope the fans get a thrill. For me , the thrill is gone.

I disagree with the last part but the first part I agree wholeheartedly.  It's so 'fake' to do these vip packages.  I don't blame the boys and I realize it works for some people, but if I'm going to actually purchase a ticket for this and then just get cattled through a line to meet everybody or whatever, what's the benefit of that?  I'd MUCH rather run into one of them at the damn gas station or something, just say Hi! and get about our lives. 

To me: meeting one of them (or all of them!) at these prearranged vip things backstage is pretty much the same as never meeting them at all. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »

Oh, and about the old man: he's the definition of a hater.  Always has been.  You can't use logic or anything with him, he's wayyyy too old to change his mind about something.  Regile him to that place in your mind you send other senior citizens, like your cooky old Neighbor, your aunt that collects beanie babies, or grandpa simpson.  His day has come and gone, and he's not even putting up a fight anymore. 
oldsurferdude
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »

Oh, and about the old man: he's the definition of a hater.  Always has been.  You can't use logic or anything with him, he's wayyyy too old to change his mind about something.  Regile him to that place in your mind you send other senior citizens, like your cooky old Neighbor, your aunt that collects beanie babies, or grandpa simpson.  His day has come and gone, and he's not even putting up a fight anymore. 
Yo punk! Don't see you spreading amorous vibes in this neck of the woods very often either. Still President of the Myke Luhv Fan Club with all of it's 3 members? Time to lick his bootstraps and shine those sandals. By the way, genius, regile ain't no word.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »

"Brian could have found someone who could have done the baldster's parts".

Well, yes, but he didn't, did he?  Brian could also have got somebody who already knew how to play drums, somebody who already knew how to play bass, somebody who already knew how to play lead guitar, etc. etc. etc.  But he didn't.  He got his two brothers, his cousin with whom he had sung all his life, a next-door neighbor kid and a former high school football team-mate and they became one of the greatest bands in the world.  Mike's leads and bass and harmonies were a huge part of that, especially his leads.  He was a key component. There's no point in speculating about another singer because there wasn't one.  As for them being "alright when I was a teen-ager",  they were then and they still are for me as I calmly await my first social security retirement check in a few months.  Aahh well, to each his own.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »

In regards to Mike toking or not, listening to the Smiley Smile outtakes he certainly sounds like he'd spent time in the tent.  Afro
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:55 AM »

Was done with the beach stuff and the ML lead vocals after SDASN showed up.

i luv acronyms "SDASN" is an unrealized beach boy song called "show dicks and show nipples" some guys covered it you can download it on the internet is the best song that i have ever heard

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2012, 09:41:05 PM »

I disagree with the last part but the first part I agree wholeheartedly.  It's so 'fake' to do these vip packages.  I don't blame the boys and I realize it works for some people, but if I'm going to actually purchase a ticket for this and then just get cattled through a line to meet everybody or whatever, what's the benefit of that?  I'd MUCH rather run into one of them at the damn gas station or something, just say Hi! and get about our lives. 

To me: meeting one of them (or all of them!) at these prearranged vip things backstage is pretty much the same as never meeting them at all. 

I don't know how much these meet and greet VIP packages cost, but the patrons will be treated like cattle. In and out after a few pics or autographs. Glad I got that done from 1969 through 1992 on my terms. That's all I need at this point. I wish them well and I hope the fans get a thrill. For me , the thrill is gone.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »

"Brian could have found someone who could have done the baldster's parts".

Well, yes, but he didn't, did he?  Brian could also have got somebody who already knew how to play drums, somebody who already knew how to play bass, somebody who already knew how to play lead guitar, etc. etc. etc.  But he didn't.  He got his two brothers, his cousin with whom he had sung all his life, a next-door neighbor kid and a former high school football team-mate and they became one of the greatest bands in the world.  Mike's leads and bass and harmonies were a huge part of that, especially his leads.  He was a key component. There's no point in speculating about another singer because there wasn't one.  As for them being "alright when I was a teen-ager",  they were then and they still are for me as I calmly await my first social security retirement check in a few months.  Aahh well, to each his own.

You're arguing with soemone who's senile.  What you say makes perfect sense, but he has bigger issues to worry about then your logic... like being in bed by 9 so the nurses don't get mad, bladder control problems, and erectile disfunction. 

Smiley 
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »

In regards to Mike toking or not, listening to the Smiley Smile outtakes he certainly sounds like he'd spent time in the tent.  Afro

Also, Our Favorite Recording Sessions. Everybody sounds ultra-baked.

No mas, por favor.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2012, 12:07:55 AM »

Yes, filledeplage is a girl!  We need more, as ladies are badly outnumbered.  Or, not.  Wink

That made my day! 

More foreign language classes! 

Yikes!  Major gaffe!  All apologies, and good vibes all around. ~JP

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2012, 05:33:34 AM »

It would be cool if Mike would make fun of himself and wore this robe for one song every night on this tour. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »

I want him to bring back his sex machine.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx